none
Printer not Working - in Windows 7 AND XP Mode

Question

• I installed my printer driver in both 7 and XP running in XP Mode. In 7, the installation went fine, but I could not print as the driver claimed "communication was not available". In XP, the installation proceeded, but it claimed "Communication was not available".

Now, I've been using 7 since the early betas, and up to a certain point, my printer worked perfectly fine. UNTIL XP mode was released, everything was nice and working. With the release of XP mode, MS decided to strip away some compatibility "deadwood" and thus my printer no longer works. It has worked in XP, Vista, and 2k.

I want to know what is common between XP mode and 7. Why doesn't it work in XP or 7? Seems like XP virtualized is sharing some stuff with 7. Maybe I'll try another virtualization program then, as a last resort. Where are the changelogs for each and every single build? I want details, not superficial UI changes. It doesn't matter what my printer model is. All you have to know is that it worked fine in Vista, so why not 7? And is there some way to stop 7 from installing its ____ drivers for my printer? I want to be able to solely install my own drivers. And is there some way to simply attach my printer directly to XP in XP Mode, so it isn't listed as a "shared" device?

Thanks in advance

Collin
    Norton AntiVirus 2009
    Monday, January 04, 2010 10:45 PM

All replies

• Care to share which exact model printer you're using? Is it using usb?
    Tuesday, January 05, 2010 12:20 AM
    Answerer
  • This is a Lexmark or Dell device.

If the printer was installed and you upgraded from Vista or a previous Beta or RC, download the uninstall application from the vendor and remove the software, unplug the device from computer, reboot,  then reinstall the latest driver and don't plug the device into the computer until prompted by the software.
    Alan Morris Windows Printing Team; Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here: http://support.microsoft.com/search/Default.aspx?adv=1
    Tuesday, January 05, 2010 7:19 AM
  • I did not upgrade. Obviously there is some common interface between XP Mode and 7 .. care to share what that is? And is there someway to bypass that?

Norton AntiVirus 2009
    Tuesday, January 05, 2010 10:15 PM
  • they are separate "machines"
    Alan Morris Windows Printing Team; Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here: http://support.microsoft.com/search/Default.aspx?adv=1
    Tuesday, January 05, 2010 11:42 PM
  • is the spooler service running???

have you test the unknown printer on a second PC?

have you tested the USB ports on the win 7 to make sure they are working??

Are you going to share the make / model of the printer?

Norton 09 is not for win 7 2010 is not much better but it does work.

Wednesday, January 06, 2010 2:20 AM
  • The spooler service is running on both OSs. The printer works on all other machines running XP or Vista. All my USB ports work. I don't run Norton 09 any more. I have run MSE from the start of using W7.

Is there someway to prevent sharing of the printer? It is listed as a "Shared" device which I can "attach" to Windows XP in XP Mode.

And another observation. The printer drivers do not install correctly in XP Mode - only some applications/utilities the driver installs are listed in Windows XP's program group. Same in 7 - the exact same utilities are installed and the exact same ones are missing. Not the same in Vista or XP (not virtualized). Clearly there are some commonalities?
    MSE
    Wednesday, January 06, 2010 2:52 AM
  • bump
    Norton AntiVirus 2009
    Wednesday, January 06, 2010 10:13 PM
  • nothing from the print spooler server.   Maybe a setup or virtual machine forum for VM questions.
    Wednesday, January 06, 2010 11:33 PM
  • No, I don't believe so. This has happened on multiple clean installations of 7 across multiple machines. Spooler is enabled on both machines (virtual + physical).
    Norton AntiVirus 2009
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 2:58 AM
  • I have the same problem. Communication not available says the XP laptop :( I am using a Lexmark X7170 All in one printer. Can you helP?
    Tuesday, July 06, 2010 11:18 PM
  • The printer drivers installed on your Windows 7 system are associated with some of the system files of the Operating System. If these files are damaged, then printers would not work. Windows 7 users experiencing problems with the working of printers are suggested to check the integrity of the system files on the Operating System using the ’sfc/ scannow’ command in the CMD, and if some system files are found damaged, the Operating System should be repaired to solve the issues and get the printer working.
    Printer Support
    Friday, January 28, 2011 5:28 AM