none
XP SP3 failed and it won't uninstall

Question

• The automatic updates install of xp sp3 failed on my pc.  I can't get it to uninstall.  When I try I get a message box "Bosnian (Cyrillic,Bosnia and Herzegovina) is selected as the language for standards and formats,or for non-Unicode programs.  This language is not supported prior to Windows XP  Service Pack 3.  Please see readmesp.htm to select a different language".  I have no idea how this setting was set.  I never did it.  Also, I cannot find readmesp.htm anywhere on my pc or by searching microsoft.com.  Can anyone help?

Just for fun, the failed sp3 also killed my internet connection.  Anyone know how to get it back?

Thanks.

Thursday, September 18, 2008 10:12 PM

All replies

• I have the exact same problem! SP 3 was automatically installing on my HP Pavilion PC and halfway through, it stopped.  Repeated attempts to use System Restore to earlier dates displayed an error message saying the restore could not finish.  

No matter what I try, my internet connection will not work with a diagnostics saying to check modem connection. I know my modem/router works since I have a laptop (running Vista) and that connects to the internet using the same cable. 

Where can we find the text of the readmesp.htm so we can change the language and uninstall SP 3, and start again?

Friday, September 19, 2008 1:01 PM
  • I instaled Windows XP SP3 on all computers where I work. Unfortunately, some applications not working normaly and I can't uninstall this Service Pack. I receive the same message when I try to uninstall.

I tried to do some steps (see link below) from Microsoft Support, but unsuccessful.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249/pt-br

Can someone help me?

Friday, October 17, 2008 5:43 PM