System Freezes on Windows 8 Lock Screen RRS feed

• Question

• Since the release of Windows 8, we have been experiencing an issue where Windows will freeze on the lock screen after the workstation has been locked for an extended period of time (3+ hours). 

Scenario: 

1. User starts up their workstation and logs onto Windows
    2. After using their workstation for a period of time, their workstation locks (either the user intentionally locks their workstation, or after a period of inactivity their workstation automatically locks)
    3. Monitor turns off after 15 minutes, workstation remains powered on and never enters standby (as intended)
    4. When the user returns to their workstation after an extended period of time, they discover that Windows has frozen on the lock screen and that they cannot logon. The screen still displays "Press Ctrl + Alt + Delete to unlock" in the top-left, shows the username of the user signed in, the mouse cursor moves, but the system time/date is missing on the lock screen and Windows will not respond to any keyboard/mouse inputs (even though the devices are lit up).
    5. User has to forcefully restart their workstation (holding the power button) before they can use it again. 

We're experiencing this both on systems upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 8 and also systems with fresh installations of Windows 8. 

• Edited by brgnewman Tuesday, September 3, 2013 4:44 PM
    Tuesday, September 3, 2013 4:43 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Could you please to check the Event log after you encounterd this problem and restart your computer?

Event log would record the error message like this.

Generally Sepeaking, this problem often caused by Power Manager, have you tried to disable the sleep mode for test? if not, please have a try.

At last, we couldn't avoid driver compatibility caused this problem, you can boot Windows into safe mode for test. Lock on the Windows also enable the Sleep Mode, after the sleep time, you can check whether the problem exists.

Roger Lu
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Niki Han Tuesday, September 17, 2013 6:46 AM
    Wednesday, September 11, 2013 6:32 AM

All replies

• Hi,

According to your description, this phenomenon probably related with your system power manager driver. Please check your computer motherboard and graphic driver etc. version and make sure they were upgrade to be latest. I

In addition, also this problem can caused by BIOS, you may need to contact the computer manufacture for more assistance about the BIOS driver upgrade.

At last, please make a clean boot for your computer to check whether this problem caused by 3<sup>rd</sup> program or service.

Please refer to the link below for more details about Clean Boot:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

If you need further assistance on this particular issue or any other Windows related issue, let us know and we will be glad to assist you.

Roger Lu

Thursday, September 5, 2013 7:25 AM
  • I've checked the systems that this issue is occurring on and they are completely up-to-date (drivers, BIOS, graphics card, etc). This is also affecting different brands and models of computers. 
    Tuesday, September 10, 2013 8:04 PM
  • Hi,

Could you please to check the Event log after you encounterd this problem and restart your computer?

Event log would record the error message like this.

Generally Sepeaking, this problem often caused by Power Manager, have you tried to disable the sleep mode for test? if not, please have a try.

At last, we couldn't avoid driver compatibility caused this problem, you can boot Windows into safe mode for test. Lock on the Windows also enable the Sleep Mode, after the sleep time, you can check whether the problem exists.

Roger Lu

• Marked as answer by Niki Han Tuesday, September 17, 2013 6:46 AM
    Wednesday, September 11, 2013 6:32 AM
  • I can't speak for Roger but I had this problem occasionally with
    Windows 8, and now I'm getting it many times a week after upgrading to
    8.1. (Not a clean install.) Last time it locked up on me less than an
    hour after I rebooted from the previous lock screen lockup. There's
    nothing from the power manager in the event logs, but shortly before
    that I do get two DCOM errors:

Log Name:      System
    Source:        Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM
    Date:          10/28/2013 2:43:45 PM
    Event ID:      10010
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          [me]
    Computer:      [local]
    Description:
    The server {BF6C1E47-86EC-4194-9CE5-13C15DCB2001} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

Log Name:      System
    Source:        Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM
    Date:          10/28/2013 2:44:15 PM
    Event ID:      10010
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          [me]
    Computer:      [local]
    Description:
    The server {1B1F472E-3221-4826-97DB-2C2324D389AE} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

Both
    of these did show up about ~30 minutes before the last lockup, too,
    although some Group Policy processing followed them. However, both of
    these are extremely common on many of my systems and don't seem to always result in the lockups.

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 12:52 AM
  • Hi, I'm having exactly the same problem. Every time, in the system log there is a little bit of activity from the Windows Modules Installer service, which says that it's changed to auto start. After that, there are no events recorded in any logs. After this, while the computer is frozen at the lock screen (tho the mouse still moves), I cannot SSH in (normally a cygwin SSH server is running). Searching the internet, a lot of other people have this exact same problem.
    Monday, November 4, 2013 8:08 PM
  • same problem here. I have to use picture password as a workaround, kind of annoying but what can you do?
    Thursday, November 7, 2013 11:20 PM
  • Same problem for me. Upgraded to 8.1 from 8 using my volume license. I'm an IT admin and my system works perfectly all day every day until I lock it (Windows + L) for an extended period of time, around 20-30 mins. As above I always get some activity from Windows Installer in the event log then nothing. I wish Microsoft would acknowledge these forums and not mark their own pathetic un-useful posts as the answers and employ some proper support people and at least fix their product. 
    Friday, November 15, 2013 1:51 PM
  • Its ok Microsoft will just class it as a "Change In Design"
    Friday, November 15, 2013 1:53 PM
  • Hi Guys I think I have solved the issue on my system. Its down to the lock screen image.

Its only a workaround but add this to the registry to disable the lock screen image and just show the password box. Had no problems for few days now.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Personalization]
    "NoLockScreen"=dword:00000001

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 10:19 AM