none
Bug creating VPN RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Vaio Pro 13, Windows 8.1 Pro.

I had a VPN created for a couple of months stopped working (can't say way, could be a windows update, virtualbox installation...). Now I can't create any VPN, wizard get stuck 5 minutes (if cancelled doesn't respond) and ends without any error message. VPN is created "Unavailable - device missing". When trying to open the properties "An unexpected error has occurred". And at the Network -> connection menu "This connection is not available because there is a problem with your modem or network adapter".

Tried to create the same VPN in another Windows 8.1 computer and it worked (i.e. Server is working). Network (wireless) adapter is also working.

Can't find more information about the error. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

David

Friday, June 13, 2014 10:37 AM

Answers

• I have just had the same issue, the following sorted it out for me

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2871372/   - do not use "fix it for me" option, use the "let me fix it myself option".  Repeat this for every yellow exclamation mark against each WAN Miniport under device manager

Then Stop and Start

‘rasman’ (‘Remote Access Connection Manager’) 

'rasauto' ('Remote Access Auto Connection Manager')

Good luck!

• Edited by Sabre35 Thursday, June 19, 2014 1:38 PM
    • Marked as answer by dperezdelrey Sunday, June 22, 2014 5:43 PM
    Thursday, June 19, 2014 1:37 PM
  • David,

coud now!!!

get  http://www.driverscape.com/download/microsoft-kernel-debug-network-adapter

• Driver Version: 6.3.9600.16384
    • Release Date: 2006-06-21
    • File Size: 13.99K
    • Supported OS: Windows 8.1 64bit

replace the driver of the yellow is where dispostivo by this manager.

Wednesday, June 18, 2014 1:49 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Vaio Pro 13, Windows 8.1 Pro.

I had a VPN created for a couple of months stopped working (can't say way, could be a windows update, virtualbox installation...). Now I can't create any VPN, wizard get stuck 5 minutes (if cancelled doesn't respond) and ends without any error message. VPN is created "Unavailable - device missing". When trying to open the properties "An unexpected error has occurred". And at the Network -> connection menu "This connection is not available because there is a problem with your modem or network adapter".

Tried to create the same VPN in another Windows 8.1 computer and it worked (i.e. Server is working). Network (wireless) adapter is also working.

Can't find more information about the error. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

David

Hi David,

I'm also with this same problem, got the solution?

hugs,

Edson

Sunday, June 15, 2014 3:00 AM
  • Hi Edson,

No, still searching for the solution... I'll post it here when it is solved.

Do you have the same computer / OS?

Regards,

David

Sunday, June 15, 2014 7:56 AM
  • Hi,

Have you tried to update or just reinstall the driver for the network adapter in Windows 8.1 Pro?

Check the following services, stop and restart them:

• Remote Access Connection Manager
    • Remote Access Auto Connection Manager

It also seems that the VPN is is recognized as a dial-up connection which needs a modem, if so, please refer to this link for troubleshooting

(refer to this Part: 3. VPN Client connections created on Windows Vista show up as Dial-up connections)

http://blogs.technet.com/b/rrasblog/archive/2007/04/08/troubleshooting-vista-vpn-problems.aspx

Yolanda Zhu
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, June 16, 2014 1:53 AM
  • Hi Yolanda,

Thanks a lot for the information.

I updated the "Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-N 7260" network adapter but driver was up to date.

Service "Remote Access Auto Connection Manager" service is running, but "Remote Access Connection Manager" keeps starting. If I try to start "Remote Access Connection Manager" I get "Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified".

Following your link for troubleshooting of vista VPN problems as Dia-up connections, "WAN Miniport (PPTP)" and "WAN Miniport (L2TP)" are present but with problems (among others WAN Miniports) "This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. Code (31)".

I reinstalled them:

Netcfg –u MS_PPTP

Netcfg –u MS_L2TP

Netcfg –l %windir%\inf\netrast.inf –c p –i MS_PPTP

Netcfg –l %windir%\inf\netrast.inf –c p –i MS_L2TP

But problem persist... anymore ideas?

Regards,

David

Tuesday, June 17, 2014 3:37 PM
  • hi david, 

is the same OS win pro 8.1 

I still have not solution 

hugs 
    Edson
    Wednesday, June 18, 2014 12:42 AM
  • David,

coud now!!!

get  http://www.driverscape.com/download/microsoft-kernel-debug-network-adapter

• Driver Version: 6.3.9600.16384
    • Release Date: 2006-06-21
    • File Size: 13.99K
    • Supported OS: Windows 8.1 64bit

replace the driver of the yellow is where dispostivo by this manager.

Wednesday, June 18, 2014 1:49 AM
  • Hi Edson,

I still couldn't I updated the driver of "Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-N 7260" with the file you mentioned and reboot but nothing changed.

Could you explain what you mean by: "replace the driver of the yellow is where dispostivo by this manager."?

Thanks in advance,

DAvid

Wednesday, June 18, 2014 3:21 PM
  • David, 

not this drive Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-N 7260, you have to change the WAN MINIPORT with error alert, yellow for this drive. 

hug 
    Edson
    • Proposed as answer by Sabre35 Thursday, June 19, 2014 1:29 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Sabre35 Thursday, June 19, 2014 1:29 PM
    Thursday, June 19, 2014 1:14 AM
  • I have just had the same issue, the following sorted it out for me

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2871372/   - do not use "fix it for me" option, use the "let me fix it myself option".  Repeat this for every yellow exclamation mark against each WAN Miniport under device manager

Then Stop and Start

‘rasman’ (‘Remote Access Connection Manager’) 

'rasauto' ('Remote Access Auto Connection Manager')

Good luck!

• Edited by Sabre35 Thursday, June 19, 2014 1:38 PM
    • Marked as answer by dperezdelrey Sunday, June 22, 2014 5:43 PM
    Thursday, June 19, 2014 1:37 PM
  • Hi,

FINALLY SOLVED!!! Thanks a lot guys...

For each "WAN MINIPORT" in the "Device Manager -> Network adapter" marked with the yellow sign, I followed instruction from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2871372/ :

1. Open Device Manager.
    2. Right-click the WAN miniport (Network monitor) device, and then click Update Driver Software.
    3. Click Browse my computer for driver software.
    4. Click Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
    5. Clear the Show compatible hardware check box.
    6. In the column on the left side, select Microsoft, and in the column on the right side, select Microsoft KM-TEST Loopback Adapter.
    7. In the Update Driver Warning dialog box, click Yes to continue installing this driver.
    8. After the driver is installed, right-click the device, and then click Uninstall.
    9. After the device is uninstalled, right-click the computer name in Device Manager, and then click Scan for hardware changes.
    10. On the View menu, click Show hidden devices.

I just extremely surprised for the complex and far from intuitive solution for this problem...

Regards,

DAvid

Sunday, June 22, 2014 5:50 PM