System halts in boot after installation SP1: !! 0xc0000034 !!

Question

• I installed SP1 on a Vista Ultimate Machine (laptop). The installation seemed to run correct, but after the first reboot, the system is not starting up, but a black screen woth white text shows a counter running from 1/73065 to 64583/73065 and showing all kind of system files and registry entries. It halts at 64583/73-65, with this error:

!! 0xc0000034 !! 64583/73065 (\Registry\machine\Schema\wcm://Microsoft...)

What is going wrong? I waited for 3 hours, but nothing happens. Restarting shows the same behaviour. Tried to repair, but, though the repair option from the (technet) installation media show a restore point and says that it is restoring files, it seems to hang in finalizing restore (also waited for some hours).

What can I do to resolve this?

Regards,

Stephan

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 7:08 PM

Answers

• Hi, same thing happened to me with computer refusing to start in anyway. managed to find a solution.
    startup - repair didnt work neither did system restore but try this one.

If you have a Vista disk boot from that
    If you was never supplied one download a Windows 7 disk, will download as ISO and also download a free ISO burner, (search google for these downloads, easy to find)

anyway once booted with these disks select repair my computer, find the list of repair tools, click command prompt.

type in;
    cd /d C:\Windows\System32 \Config

(enter)
    this should now show

Windows\System32\Config:

then type the following, hitting enter after every line

cd windows\system32\config
    ren default default.old
    ren sam sam.old
    ren security security.old
    ren software software.old
    ren system system.old
    cd regback
    copy default c:\windows\system32\config
    copy sam c:\windows\system32\config
    copy security c:\windows\system32\config
    copy software c:\windows\system32\config
    copy system c:\windows\system32\config

after each line saying copy (file)
    a line should pop up saying file copied.
    if all goes well re-boot your computer to hard drive and it should start.
    this worked for me how-ever I still get an error message everytime I start my computer, working on fixing that now.
    Saturday, July 25, 2009 11:07 AM

All replies

• Another victim here !!!

On a desktop, but "my" !! 0xc0000034 !! error displays this message :

!! 0xc0000034 !! 292/123128 (_0000000000000000.cdf_ms)

Help M$ !!!!

Friday, February 22, 2008 7:42 AM
  • I have the same problem on a Dell laptop inspiron 1525, impossible to fix it... I've recovered the system with the windows installation cd.
    Wednesday, March 19, 2008 1:08 AM
  • Yeah another victim here - tried a whole lot of tricks to get past it, including:

- Renaming the _00000000000000000000.cdf-ms in case it had been corrupted (from what I read in this thread, it has solved some probs with a different hexadecimal code but it didn't work 4 me:
    http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2546752&SiteID=17
    - Disabling USB Legacy Keyboard/Mouse in Bios
    - Renaming sptd.sys in \windows\system32\drivers\ (something to do with Daemon Tools apparently)
    - Detached all hard drives except for my Windoze IDE boot drive
    - Booting into Safemode which causes it to hang on crcdisk.sys (Yeesh!)
    - Renaming pcmcia.sys driver to pcmcia.sys.old in \windows\system32\drivers and renaming the pcmcia* file to pcmcia*old in \windows\system32\driverstore (apparently doing the same to the firewire/1394 driver is another possible workaround but I haven't tried it)
    - Double-checking that _00000000000000000000.cdf-ms does exist inside the \windows\winsxs folder. (It does, but I really think the winsxs folder is missing a 'u' in its filename Wink
    - Ran a ram test
    - Tried executing sfc /scannow from the cmd prompt inside the Vista boot disc
    - Did a full scandisk /r on my C:
    - Did a full scandisk /f on my C:
    - Considered reverting to a previous restore point - oops none exist.
    - Repenting to the bit lords for using Microsoft products
    - Googling for OS X x86 (and no, I'd prefer to crucify mac users, but they're looking even cooler than usual at the moment!)

Hell, I knew it was a beta test disguised as a public release - it's quite disturbing to see the same issues mentioned in December last year with the reply: "I'm sure they'll fix that by the release date."

Any ideas fellow Vista SP1ers? (and no, reinstalling the OS is not a "solution" because this will be my 4th install)

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 4:02 AM
  • I've got the same problem...stuck at 250/72443.  Installed sp1 via windows update, went through stages 1 & 2 successfully, rebooted to this.  Looks like I'll have to do a repair, hopefully it'll work.  Does anyone have a solution to this problem??

EDIT: To clarify, this is on a Thinkpad T43 w/ 2GB RAM.  All drivers are updated, and the update was installed through Windows Update, which apparently should check for any driver conflicts before offering the update.  A system restore from the recovery console rolled back to a working restore point before the sp installation, but that doesn't really address the issue...sp1 will not install correctly.

• Proposed as answer by kneid Saturday, December 12, 2009 1:53 AM
    Wednesday, March 19, 2008 4:36 PM
  • I also have the same issue. Spoke to Dell tech support, they just told me to run repair. that sat for about an hour and a half and did nothing. They told me last resort was to run reinstall windows option from restore cd. Anyone know if this will just overwrite windows install or if it will wipe the drive first. Don't want to lose my data if I can avoid it.

Thursday, March 20, 2008 12:38 AM
  • Brand new Dell Inspiron XPS M1330 here.  After unboxing, I reinstalled from the Dell Vista Premium DVD in order to reduce bloatware, and then I let Windows Update do its thing.  First it installed around 50+ hotfixes and rebooted.  Then it installed SP1, which crunched for over 1/2 hour before failing with the !! 0xc0000034 !! error.  Dell's Vista support is useless even for so-called "premium" XPS owners.  I'm going to set up an XP dual-boot in the meantime so I can get some work done.
    Thursday, March 20, 2008 7:41 AM
  • Hi,

My system (Vista Business 64bits) also halts with the error !! 0xc0000034 !! xxxxx/yyyyy (\Registry\machine\Schema\wcm://Microsoft...).

It seems that some of these errors come from corrupted files and can be corrected by deleting these files. It is different here because it obviously comes from the registry, and I doubt I can solve this issue by deleting the whole registry.

Like anyone else, I've tried to boot from Vista DVD -> "Repair" => "Repair can't be done auomatically, please contact your administrator etc" (I AM the administrator Stick out tongue)

- The error message could **at least** display the whole reg key, so we could correct or delete it by hand (with a command line editor ?).

- Is there a way to bypass the SP1 last stage in order to boot Vista ?

- Is the only thing to do is to reinstall Vista above the old one and to re-run the sp1 installation ? great ...

Please tell me there's a solution Smile

@+

C.
    Thursday, March 20, 2008 8:14 AM
  • !! 0xc0000034 !! 291/121466 (_0000000000000000.cdf-ms)

This is my one!! and it won't boot into safe mode either.

Going to try recovery but am NOT a happy bunny.

Microsoft please respond with a fix ASAP

Update:

Repair option (Vista dvd) sees  Boot Manager Corrupt and fixes that but stil the same black screen and message on re-boot.

WHat is going on, my PC is dead and I want to know if there is a fix.

David Baxter

Thursday, March 20, 2008 12:16 PM
  •  dcbaxter wrote:
    !! 0xc0000034 !! 291/121466 (_0000000000000000.cdf-ms)

This is my one!! and it won't boot into safe mode either.

Going to try recovery but am NOT a happy bunny.

Microsoft please respond with a fix ASAP

Update:

Repair option (Vista dvd) sees  Boot Manager Corrupt and fixes that but stil the same black screen and message on re-boot.

WHat is going on, my PC is dead and I want to know if there is a fix.

David Baxter

Well I can do a Restore using the Vista DVD, and it finds the 'Upgrade to SP1' resore point and then at least my PC is alive again but running the update from Windows Update kills it stone dead again with the same error code.

I have just downloaded the standalone installer so will try that.

Is anyone from Microsoft looking at this thread?

Cheers
    Friday, March 21, 2008 10:28 AM

• I have the same problem.
    Does not even boot in safe mode.
    My error is 0xc0000034 250/79324 (_0000000000000000.cdf-ms)
    I have also had 253/72379
    I was able to do a boot from the vista disks and do a restore, this got my system back.
    I was told to delete my anti virus(its always your anti vrus) and retry SP1, no difference.
    Then run msconfig and stop everything not microsoft still won't load SP1.
    At least the vista disks can do a repair and restore to get my sysyem back.
    May be a down grade to XP or even Linux might be the way forward.
    If Microsoft thought SP1 would help vista, with press like this I don't think so.
    How do I bill my time to Microsoft?
    Friday, March 21, 2008 12:31 PM
  • Safe Mode wont work here either, stops at the CRCDISK bit or something begining with crc from memory.
    I am seriously thinking about going back to XP now. Vista has been mostly working OK, a few issues but generally ok but not good enough.
    Friday, March 21, 2008 1:00 PM
  • Same Error as everyone else here: except that I have a 298/88084 on the error.

Any help would be appreciated.

Friday, March 21, 2008 11:37 PM
  • Update on this: Unable to boot into Safe Mode

Unable to boot using repair disk - Repair used from DVD then it went into the same screen after next boot cycle.

Saturday, March 22, 2008 12:09 AM
  •  Brian Paul Schroder wrote:

Update on this: Unable to boot into Safe Mode

Unable to boot using repair disk - Repair used from DVD then it went into the same screen after next boot cycle.

Just follow on with a Restore and that will get you back.
    SP1 creates a restore point and you should see that.

I have been on a chat exercise with Microsoft to try and solve this but only got as far as trying the update in safe mode with networking and my Kaspersky AV uninstalled but exactly the same problem. 2nd reboot (after stage 2 of 3) and into safemode again by pressing F8 and it grinds to a halt when loading crcdisk.sys

Next to try is update in safemode again but using Administrator account and running the update with Admin rights.

Will see what happens.
    Saturday, March 22, 2008 7:50 AM
  • If you are getting a black screen with !! 0xc0000034 !! 283/233553 (_0000000000000000.cdf-ms_)
    flickering in white then I had the same thing and there are various posts on this.

To recover you will have to boot with your Vista DVD in the drive, select repair, which it won't then do a system restore to the point that the SP1 install creates, this will get you back to a working pc.

Then I deleted my anti virus although you may not have to, and from within Vista, put in Vista DVD, select Install and then Upgrade. This doesn't touch your existing programs. And will leave you with a clean Vista install so to speak. Then just keep following the Windows Updates and you will get the SP1 eventually and it should then install ok :-)

It worked for me, but only just done it so will post back if any further problems

Good luck

David Baxter
    Saturday, March 22, 2008 4:28 PM
  • same thing has happened to me. Sad

I've managed to get into recovery manager and use the prompt to save most of my stuff to an external drive. I'm thinknig I may aswell re-install cleanly even though this is a massive pain in the ***.

But just before i do, if I want to remove the files that are causing vista to try and run the sp1 update stuff everytime I reboot what should I be looking to delete?

Use the system restore just hangs on "finalizing file restore" so that looks like it's dead. I figure if I can delete a few files (or replace them from the x: drive that the vista dvd creates) that would be awesome just to give me a chance to get back into windows and fix it.

I cant get to safe mode I get a stop error BSOD and then it reboots and then it tries to run the update package and fails

Alan
    Thursday, March 27, 2008 1:17 PM

• Got same issue with a Dell Dimension C521

Actual error is "!! 0xc0000034 !!   530/66123    $$_system32_reminst_boot_x64_zh-tw_e14dd29"

Can't seem to get into anything useful within the repair (loops) and doesn't get anywhere (10+ hours) when it says it'll use a restore point... Doesn't list a restore point or anything either?

Next step is to format and use recovery i guess, just got alot of customers data on here...

All this from trying to fix a Windows Mail speed issue... Smile
    Monday, April 7, 2008 10:48 AM
  • Can we get a response to this issue?

I have been trying for over 2 weeks to get SP 1 installed on my system. Just like everyone else, I get the standard blackscreen with the error message 256/68148. This is not acceptable for an operating system, or for support.
    Monday, April 7, 2008 2:58 PM
  • I agree this is totally unacceptable!! 3 times I have tried to install sp1, 2 times I made it through the 1st 2 steps then got the !! 0xc0000034 !! error on step 3 and the other time it failed before I got to step 1.... This is total BS! I am considering buying XP pro 64, to replace my Vista home premium 64.. But then I think why should I give these crooks more $$$???....

I have had nothing but issues regarding Vista and my nvidia gpu as well (hoping sp1 would fix these problems, seems to only create more)... after reading many msg boards I come to realize I am not the only one.. But with all the people who seem to have the same issues why in fact have they done nothing about it???? Is there just enough people using vista that don't have problems enough to justify them to ignore everyone else????

An extremely un-happy Microsof customer!!!

Saturday, April 12, 2008 8:42 PM
  •  dcbaxter wrote:
    If you are getting a black screen with !! 0xc0000034 !! 283/233553 (_0000000000000000.cdf-ms_)
    flickering in white then I had the same thing and there are various posts on this.

To recover you will have to boot with your Vista DVD in the drive, select repair, which it won't then do a system restore to the point that the SP1 install creates, this will get you back to a working pc.

Then I deleted my anti virus although you may not have to, and from within Vista, put in Vista DVD, select Install and then Upgrade. This doesn't touch your existing programs. And will leave you with a clean Vista install so to speak. Then just keep following the Windows Updates and you will get the SP1 eventually and it should then install ok :-)

It worked for me, but only just done it so will post back if any further problems

Good luck

David Baxter

It worked for me too.

Thank you very much

Saturday, April 19, 2008 9:05 PM
  • I am absolutely furious! I can't believe I tried for so long to install an update that just completely crashed my computer! I'm not very good at understanding what to do to fix problems like this and I'm just terrifed that I'm going to lose my files!

I have been doing routine system backups onto the D drive... but will that be enough to keep everything safe?! I almost started crying! Is Microsoft going to address this problem, or are they just going to ignore all of us with crashed sysyems! I am SO ANGRY!

Is there anyone that would be willing to give me step by step help to at least getting to a point where I can save all of my files? This update creates a save point before it doesn't it? Someone said something about deleting the antivir.... is that the Windows Anti Virus?

Really hoping someone can help me!!!

Also a very unhappy Microsoft customer!

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 1:41 AM
  • Similar if not same problem than most here.

Installed SP1 via Windows Update

Restart after stage 2

Hangs with "!! 0xc0000034 !!"

Can't boot in Safe Mode due to hanging at crcdisk

Repair finds nothing

Restore hangs at "finalizing"

Can't do a clean install as I have an upgrade which has to be opened from within

Just need to find a way to bypass the changes to booting that SP1 has made so I can get into Windows, transfer some files, and do a clean install, or attempt SP1 again.

Most frustrating (he says on his way to the Apple Store).

Monday, April 28, 2008 7:53 AM
  • I too have got this problem. Attemped to do system restore from Vista DVD but a window pops up asking which operating system I want to restore. There's nothing in the window and the instruction says to click 'Load Drivers' to get a driver for the hard drive. When this is done it opens up 'X' Drive folders (this drive must have been created during SP1 installation). I can't find any hard drive drivers so it wont let me restore.

Does anyone know how to get beyond this to get a restore done?

Regards,

Graham Mudie 

Monday, April 28, 2008 9:55 AM
  • Hi guys, i installed Windows Vista Sevice Pack1, and is really good... I DONT THINK SO!!!!! , My Computer wont even start, i push the the power button and it turn on and after 1 or 2 SECONDS ONLY, it shut down itself, on, off, on, off, on, off, on, off, on ,off.  

i dont have a chanceto restore. Sometimes it wont give a second, it turn off inmediately. Is Microsoft doing this on purpose? This pack should fix or kill the bugs but the bugs just killed my computer

Can someone Help ME?  Thank you

Sorry for my English.

Monday, April 28, 2008 4:46 PM
  •  

Well its been about a month now and no official word from Microsoft on this answer. Honestly, this is the worst support I have seen regarding what they tout as a state of the art Operating System. Yet, here we are the consumers who can't even upgrade to Service Pack 1. Where is the support for this!!! Why hasn't someone addressed this issue!!
    Monday, April 28, 2008 4:54 PM
  • from Italy... yeah, !! 0xc0000034 !! error arrived here, too, and none can say you how to make your laptop alive.
    good luck
    Wednesday, April 30, 2008 7:25 AM
  • Yet another person with the same problem.  The following is a copy of what i emailed to Microsoft Support, no reply yet.

Useful?

Downloaded sp1 through updates, it succesfully installed and asked for a restart, which i did safely.  Upon restart, it runs through a bunch of files. The problem is that it gets stuck and shows the message:

!! 0xc0000034 !! 1491/84263 (403-14.htm)

Left it for 1 hour, nothing.  Same message on forced restart.  Tried going into safemode, got stuck on loading drivers.  Last driver loaded was \Windows\system32\drivers\crcdisk.sys.

During one of the restarts,  windows checked the disk.  During the index check it picked up the file making the error as well as 4 others it then did "restore orphans" on them, whatever it did, it didn't help.

I have vista ultimate installed.  My computer is an ASUS F3S series notebook.  When I put the recovery disk in, I only get three options, all of which involve reformatting/repartitioning the harddisk, i'd rather not do that.

Any ideas

Sunday, May 4, 2008 6:18 AM
  • I've solved this at my end. Removed my hard drive and saved my files using another PC. I then threw the broken one out the window, and purchased an iMac.

This worked very well, I suggest the rest of you try it. My new computer is awesome.

Another loyal Windows user alienated...
    Sunday, May 4, 2008 10:04 AM
  • Unfortunately, not all of us have the money to buy a new pc/notebook at this time
    Monday, May 5, 2008 2:40 AM
  • Another user blown out of the water!  I am getting !!0xc0000034 !! 18985/122684 (\Registry\Machine\COMPONENTS\Winners\wo...)

Glad I decided to upgrade to SP1 it sure works better then........
    Wednesday, May 7, 2008 1:40 AM
  • Microsoft:

How about a damn response to YOUR problem with YOUR software. We the consumer are still waiting for a fix for this damn issue. Do something about it for a change.

Wednesday, May 7, 2008 12:38 PM
  • I've repeatedly tried all the options when booting from the system disc to repair or restore my system, without success. When I read the log under the repair option I realised that the SP1 install had created a temporary partition on the hard drive called, 'X' drive. With the installation crashing half way through, this 'X' drive was not deleted and it appears the boot sector could no longer be found, neither could a restore point or my back-ups.

My only option was to buy a new hard drive and do a clean install of Vista. I've now done this but please be warned if you choose this option. I left my old drive connected whilst installing Vista to the new drive. It turns out that the install process seems to look at what else is installed and as it saw an existing Vista installation on the other drive, didn't bother to create a boot sector on the new drive.

Of course, I didn't realise this until I had spent most of my weekend re-installing software and files. When I removed the system disk from the DVD Rom tray and removed the old hard drive, my new hard drive wouldn't boot. I therefore now have to have the system disc in the DVD Rom drive and the old version of Vista on the other HDD in order for it to boot to the new drive. The only solution to this seems to be to start all over again but disconnect the old drive until Vista is installed! 

GM
    Thursday, May 8, 2008 8:18 AM
  • Installed SP1 for (unwanted but came with new HP pc) Vista...hoping it would fix bugs. Instead, made pc unbootable. Keeps looping to boot options to "Start Windows Normally" or "Repair". Both just kept looping. Able to get to system restore menu. Started that last night, showed "Finalizing file restore" working. 12 hours later, still says "Finalizing file restore". What can be done? I hear interrupting the process (assuming of course the process is actually working) totally screws things up even more so you can't get to any menus at all. Vista and it's SP1 (don't know about SP2) are lemons. I LOVED XP. When I get pc fixed, I will try to, er, "down"grade to XP.

Edit: Do MS techs ever actually respond to questions about their buggy and useless problems with this horrid new product? I hated Vista for the few months I had to use it. Isn't intuitive, kept crashing programs, had to reboot several times/day. SP's are supposed to FIX problems. Guess the fix is that you have no problems with Vista because you can no longer use your pc.
    I open Open Source comes out with an OS. I use their office suite and I love it.
    Thursday, May 15, 2008 11:10 AM
  • Same problem, had to buy a new hard drive and upgrade my Vista system to XP.

Just awful...
    Friday, May 16, 2008 12:57 AM
  • Let me add my voice to the masses calling for help on this issue.   Twice now, I have tried to install SP1. Both times,  it gets as far as phase III and then stops at one file or another. The first two times,  it was fveupdate.exe, a file which is involved in the bitlocker drive encryption process.  Ironic, since Im running home premium on which Bitlocker is disabled!  I thought I was clever for booting using the installation DVD, going into repair mode and renaming this file.  A subsequent run of chkdsk even claimed to be fixing some invalid index entries associated with this file.  On the next reboot,  I was rewarded when it got significantly farther thru the phase iii process (What the h@ll is phase iii doing, anyway?!?!?). However, it eventually stopped at MSASCUI.EXE. I then went thru the same process, renaming all versions of that file I could fine.  Then it complained about  mpengine.dll....

I then threw up my hands and went thru system restore.  Luckily for me,  I see that my Vista machine just finished booting successfully, sans SP1.  

What really stinks is that Im trying to apply a Vista Ultimate upgrade. However, my options there are :

1. Do a clean install,  blowing everything away.

2. Get SP1 installed first to enable the upgrade option.

Grrrrrrrrrrr........

If someone from Microsoft is monitoring this post, please take a look at this issue.   It is beyond frustrating!!!!!!

Friday, May 23, 2008 3:35 AM
  • CAUSE

This error occurs when either of the following conditions is true:

The Windows Boot Manager (Bootmgr) entry is not present in the Boot Configuration Data (BCD) store.

The Boot\BCD file on the active partition is damaged or missing

Please look into this article for resolution :

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927391/en-us

Sunday, May 25, 2008 3:19 AM
  • hey im an enduser and need a little help.

I bought a vista notebook straight from dell and im pretty sure that they dont give out windows installation discs, vista just comes preloaded onto the computer.

Any ideas?
    Monday, May 26, 2008 2:28 AM
  • After contacting Microsoft Support and following their advice,  I finally got Vista SP1 to install successfully.

Essentially,  she had me download the full service pack and then run it after rebooting with all startup programs and non-Microsoft services disabled.  I was skeptical, but it did the trick.   Here are the steps I went through:

=======>  Microsoft support comments follow.......

Generally, these errors can occur if the system files are corrupted.

To make clear the current situation, I recommend downloading Windows Vista Service Pack 1 in Normal Mode and installing it in Clean Boot Mode. Please follow the steps below.

Note: This SP1 installation can be affected by certain third party programs running in the background. If you are running any third party applications such as Spyblocker, Internet or web accelerators (programs designed to boost the speed of the Internet connection), security or anti-virus programs (McAfee, Norton, etc.), I recommend we temporarily disable or shut them down during our troubleshooting process. Please be sure to enable them again when the update process has been completed.

Step 1: Download Windows Vista Service Pack 1 Standalone Installer
    ===================================================
    1. Download Windows Vista SP1 from the link below according to your System Type:

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 for Windows Vista 32-bit (Size: 434.5MB)
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/3/a/9/3a9b72c2-527d-4694-8a49-84c056d4c34d/Windows6.0-KB936330-X86-wave0.exe

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 for Windows Vista 64-bit (Size: 726.5MB)
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/3/b/83b8c814-b000-44a4-b667-8c1f58727b8b/Windows6.0-KB936330-X64-wave0.exe

2. Please save it on the Desktop.

Step 2: Install Windows Vista SP1 in Clean Boot mode
    ========================================
    Please disable all startup items and third party services when booting to avoid conflict when installing Vista SP1:

1. Click "Start", type: MSCONFIG in the search box and press Enter.

Note: Please click "Continue" if the "User Account Control" window pops up.

2. Click "Services", check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).
    3. Click "Startup", click "Disable All" and click "OK".

Note: Temporarily disabling the Startup Group only prevents the startup programs from loading at startup. This shouldn't affect the system or other programs. We can manually run these programs later. Go ahead and reboot your system when prompted as you are exiting MsConfig.

4. After rebooting, please double click the downloaded Windows Vista Service Pack 1 Standalone Installer and follow the instructions to install Windows Vista SP1.

To restore the computer to use a Normal Startup, repeat step 1 above. Then click "Normal Startup" on the General tab, click "OK", and then restart the computer.

<========  end of Microsoft support comments.

Hope this works for others.    One difference I noted  in this install was a run of the chkdsk program.  I also didnt see it iterating thru the files during phase III.  Perhaps it didnt have to because none of them were locked?    Who knows.    Good luck, everyone.

Saturday, June 7, 2008 2:59 PM
  • Same problem here.

Saturday morning appied SP1 update to my Vista Ultimate Toshiba laptop.

A while later presented with:

!! 0xc0000034 !! 292/123128 (_0000000000000000.cdf_ms)

Tried repair, failed

Tried restore to prior SP1 point, failed

There seems to be no commandline uninstallation as there has been for previous Windows service packs.

Spent all weekend trawling the web for solutions to this problem and came to the conclusion that everyone but Microsoft seems to acknowledge that this is a very real issue.

Very very dissapointed.

Monday, June 9, 2008 8:24 AM
  •  Brett1111111 wrote:

=======>  Microsoft support comments follow.......

Generally, these errors can occur if the system files are corrupted.

To make clear the current situation, I recommend downloading Windows Vista Service Pack 1 in Normal Mode and installing it in Clean Boot Mode. Please follow the steps below.

Note: This SP1 installation can be affected by certain third party programs running in the background. If you are running any third party applications such as Spyblocker, Internet or web accelerators (programs designed to boost the speed of the Internet connection), security or anti-virus programs (McAfee, Norton, etc.), I recommend we temporarily disable or shut them down during our troubleshooting process. Please be sure to enable them again when the update process has been completed.

Step 1: Download Windows Vista Service Pack 1 Standalone Installer
    ===================================================
    1. Download Windows Vista SP1 from the link below according to your System Type:

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 for Windows Vista 32-bit (Size: 434.5MB)
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/3/a/9/3a9b72c2-527d-4694-8a49-84c056d4c34d/Windows6.0-KB936330-X86-wave0.exe

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 for Windows Vista 64-bit (Size: 726.5MB)
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/3/b/83b8c814-b000-44a4-b667-8c1f58727b8b/Windows6.0-KB936330-X64-wave0.exe

2. Please save it on the Desktop.

Step 2: Install Windows Vista SP1 in Clean Boot mode
    ========================================
    Please disable all startup items and third party services when booting to avoid conflict when installing Vista SP1:

1. Click "Start", type: MSCONFIG in the search box and press Enter.

Note: Please click "Continue" if the "User Account Control" window pops up.

2. Click "Services", check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).
    3. Click "Startup", click "Disable All" and click "OK".

Note: Temporarily disabling the Startup Group only prevents the startup programs from loading at startup. This shouldn't affect the system or other programs. We can manually run these programs later. Go ahead and reboot your system when prompted as you are exiting MsConfig.

4. After rebooting, please double click the downloaded Windows Vista Service Pack 1 Standalone Installer and follow the instructions to install Windows Vista SP1.

To restore the computer to use a Normal Startup, repeat step 1 above. Then click "Normal Startup" on the General tab, click "OK", and then restart the computer.

<========  end of Microsoft support comments.

This worked for me, Thanks Brett

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 9:40 PM
  • Same problem - ended up with flickering text (in my case !! 0xc0000034 !! 248/68697 (_0000000000000000.cdf_ms) - seems the numbers are different for each case.  Used repair to do restore (glad I had the CD!).

Found out that MS were offering free support for SP1 problems and having found MS support fairly helpful in the past, went down that route.  IMHO it is a bit unfair to say that MS don't acknowledge the issue when they are offering free individual support.

They suggested updating BIOS and Graphics Driver first and sent me links to do both.  Neither was very old (updated BIOS last summer and graphics card was less than 3 months old with driver updated at the time) so I wasn't hopeful but did it anyway.  Then downloaded the full SP1 from microsoft.com (link elsewhere in thread) rather than using the automated update process since others have suggested this is a more robust route.

Not sure which worked but - Success!  Now running SP1. 

As an aside - updating the BIOS causes Vista to want to reactivate as it thinks there has been a hardware change.  I had big problems when I updated the BIOS last summer but no problems this time.  Being in touch with microsoft support means that such problems are more easily dealt with!

Would certainly recommend contacting MS support: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/sp1.mspx go to "free help updating with SP1" near the bottom.

Thursday, June 12, 2008 6:31 AM
  •  Chris Read wrote:

IMHO it is a bit unfair to say that MS don't acknowledge the issue when they are offering free individual support.

Just referring to the lack of KB documents referencing this specific error.

Thursday, June 12, 2008 7:48 AM
  • This is helpful IF you can get to Clean Boot Mode. All I get is a black and white screen saying: An unexpected error occurred. Error code 0xc0000034 (translated from Norwegian).

(Btw, I do hope the error wasn't expected ;-))

I ran the install/repair disk to no avail. The only extra info I got from that was: General Boot manager Error: 0xc0000034.

Again not very helpful, but a tad bit more helpful than the initial error message.

I've called MS Support (here in Norway), but they couldn't help much.

As an independent consultant I'm failry dependent on my PC and I'm REALLY PISSED OFF with Microsoft. How is it possible to release something that causes so much grieve and trouble? Without providing proper support for the mess you have created?

A Mac with OS-X looks more and more tempting.

--norgie

Friday, June 13, 2008 8:01 AM
  • I had the same !! 0x01900034 !! 5505/72902 issue with the 'dwup.inf' file.

I made it past this by deleting the file in question. This scan is apparently scanning files currently on my harddrive. So my file was in 'C:\windows\inf\dwup.inf' .
    I was able to delete it by booting from a Vista Install disk > Repair > Advanced Repair Options > Command Line.

Booted normally again, it went through it's entire check fine and finished installing SP1.

Friday, June 13, 2008 8:12 PM
  •  dcbaxter wrote:
    If you are getting a black screen with !! 0xc0000034 !! 283/233553 (_0000000000000000.cdf-ms_)

Good luck

David Baxter

Can someone help me?  When David said "which it won't then do a system restore to the point that the SP1 install creates, this will get you back to a working pc." 

How do I get the system to restore to the point that the SP1 install creates?

I'm not exactly familiar with computer language, so any details will be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 2:09 PM
  • Having had the same problem I was unable to recover the system and now my hard drive is broke, so believing this problem is exclusive to Vista 64, I have loaded Vista 32 onto the second drive and am running without problems and did not lose my data files (files on original drive are gone). The funny thing is the computer speed is the same, restricted only by the RAM. In fact the speed reduced by 1 when I doubled the amount of RAM to 8GB.

It did cross my mind that possibly SP1 is the work of hackers? I haven't seen any reaction from Microsoft yet.

Best regards,

Friday, June 27, 2008 4:46 AM
  • I am putting this message out there to all of you guys who have most likely given up hope of getting this resolved.

I also had the exact same error. I tried "Last Known Good Config" since this is how I have been getting around this, and it still did not work. I ran the repair without any success. I ran the repair from the disk without success. I tried to go into "safe" mode and got hung up at crcdisk.sys. My computer almost went out the window.

I then ran the disk checkup from the system disk and got an error "DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE" and decided to google it. It took me here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929762

IEEE 1394-based device got me thinking. Is there any hardware on my computer? Why about those firewire (1394) ports on the computer that I opted for from Dell? I then opened up my tower, swapped out the firewire ports for an older wireless-G card and VOILA!!! I am up and running. Performed 4 restarts just to test it out. Each restart was 5x faster than before and not one error or delay.

Anyone still grappling with this issue, take a serious look at your firewire ports and decide whether you really need them now. You could also look at putting them back in after updating the drivers for them, but that is your call. I was not using mine, so the decision was simple.

Best of luck!

Tuesday, July 1, 2008 3:02 AM
  • What kind of checkup disk? How would I disable the firewire ports if it is a onboard port and I can't get to the desktop of the OS or safemode? I can't get to the Clean boot mode as well.

You said,

I then ran the disk checkup from the system disk and got an error "DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE" and decided to google it. It took me here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929762

I had the same failures: Flickering:

!! 0xc0000034 !! 261/58960 (_000000000000000.cdf_ms)

I tried everything including downloading the individual SP1 and the x86 vista repair disks. To no avail. I can't get onto Safe mode so it is basically useless. Is there any way to get to msconfig by way of MSDOS command prompt? I can't get onto the OS interface to do any type of productive repairs. Seems like all the help relates to getting on the OS. Whenever I restore, it freezes for at least 12 hours or so until I cancel. Then I tried to mke a back up disk but that literally took 8 hours and it was still on 48% complete. Can anyone else help. I am going to call MS help and support very soon.

Please help.

Saturday, July 5, 2008 1:18 AM
  •  

That is so funny because after SP1 crashed my hard drive and I lost all my files, I replaced the hard drive and am thinking of giving this to my daughter and also buying an iMac.  The problem is, I am afraid to install any updates on this computer now.  I was chatting with a Microsoft technician and got the runaround and no sense of accountability for what happened.  ARGHHH! 

I wonder what would happen if I never installed any updates?

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 2:04 PM
  • hi i just installed last night my pc with vista servers pack 1 on my pc and now my error is 0xc0000034 5558/92474 (installcommon.sql)
    i tryed my restore disk but doesen't work can some one help me
    and on my laptop vista server pack 1 does work no errors and on my home pc not Sad can some one help me

my dad going be angry i need to fix SadSadSadSad

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 7:44 PM
  • i gotted it fixed i installed in my other harddrive but the only thing is where is the file where the update is in because i wanna remove sp1 so then my old one will work again???
    Tuesday, July 29, 2008 8:52 PM
  • Hi Stephan, it's a bit late but all you need to do on receiving that error message is to switch off the machine, disconnect from mains, open machine and remove all RAM above 2GB. Restart and the loading of WindowsVista should continue. Once SP1 has loaded, switch off, reinstall the additional RAM and Voila, all is as normal.

If this is not possible, you could purchase an external enclosure for the malfunctioning hard drive (about R300-00 IDE or SATA), which when installed will allow you to find all your files via USB. If you know what you'e doing you could even fix your system but that subject is beyond my scope.

Best of luck,

Jeremy.

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 4:38 PM
  • Hi I know it has been a while you posted this but I have the same problem now.  Did you fix it?  If yes, how?  Thanks

Thursday, July 31, 2008 1:31 PM
  • Monday, August 4, 2008 4:13 AM
  • OK, I had trouble with this about a week ago, there has been some resolution in my case/s so thought I had better get back to share, as we do what we can for one another!

I had gotten 2 identical refurb Toshiba laptops for a friend's sons. Completely had one all finished except for one more

update, the Vista SP1 ..... of all things ....... little did I know it was about to erase all previous "restore-points" that I had

made, make its own single restore point called something like "Vista SP1" with nowhere else to restore back to after it rebooted, corruptively, ending with the famed white characters blinking while appearing to run through files copying and getting stuck with double exclamation marks to each side of the appearingly trouble file copy problem.

So after reading lots of these, I decided to give the other a better try, using good suggestions as most appeared to think it was the 3rd party boot-up items running in the environment, and even more so, the famed Virus checking software that is

usually the bad boy! So that is what I did, I started MSCONFIG (by typing that those letters in "RUN"), that got me to the Services tab, where I clicked a box to hide all the microsoft services, those needed to stay in place. Then a disable all, for the rest that were showing, then on to the Startup tab, and disable all to all in there. Then as you OK and reboot, you got a rather virgin/clean boot with little else in startup memory other than possibly needed Microsoft stuff. So then the SP1 went well, with all the action from "1 of 3", through "3 of 3" happening on a colored screen, I think it was some default Vista wallpaper running in the background in basic blue. Didn't even go to a Dos looking black, so that was totally different and sailed through nicely, but after accomplished, first thing I did was go make a restore point and in checking, again the only restore point there was the Vista SP1 that they left after making all other previous disappear .... not fair for sure! Hopefully, that is something the SP1 will address itself, so none disappear in future service packs, but who knows.

Now, getting back to the first one, Toshiba had no answers but to get restore software, which they didn't want to send me free as they said it was not to happen as I had refurb stuff (not fair either, so whatever is now days!). Then I went on to Microsoft Phone tech help (India also), and after 2 hours, they said only recourse was to get what Toshiba said it would need, the restore software. So I went back to Toshiba, told them that refurb or not, I was sent incomplete Laptops, because any computer without restore software is incomplete and I had them for only about a week and the warranty was supposed to be valid for 90 days for sure ...... so let me talk to someone who understands this sequence of my purchase of a complete laptop, refurb or not. Then I got an American voice which was Mitch, Ahhhhhh ... nice to hear, sent me the restore software for the one that didn't make the SP1 "hyper-jump" <Smiles>, and I told them thanks, if there was anything else I could do I would have, but my hands were tied. So I got it about 5 days later, factory restored, did everthing except the Earthlink Virus Suite, Installed the Vista SP1 (this time without even MSCONFIG bothersome reboot stuff) and it slipped in just fine, rebooted, I saved a restore point, installed the Earthlink VSuite, and all was fine, shipshape, and bootysweet! *S*

So, my answer to all this was probably unlike most of you all, because I had two identical systems where one was done normally, but with Windows not covering any chances of 3rd party software interrupting it and erasing all previous restore points, it was just a wash and only recourse I think for the most of you will be a restoration unfortunately, if it is already too late, you got the same original interference I got, in my case Earthlink Virus Suite, and that corrupted your SP1 "Space monster" from acting how it really should have, sane and sufficient. Just wish I would have had ample warning from Microsoft and I would have happily disabled the Virus checking Earthlink action which apparently was the culprit in

this case. I guess I should tell Earthlink! Other than that, as an Anti-Virus program it really seems to work well.

So I got bit by Microsoft (again, how many time is that now), Toshiba (that eventually helped after alot of undue tension),

and Earthlink (that is really good enough to help with an anti-virus program in the first place) ....... just wish Microsoft would have warned me, so I guess they are again letting someone else do their job for them now in allowing me to tell you all THIS now. I just don't get it sometimes, we pay Microsoft all kinds of money for their expensive OS's and then we have to putz around with all the fixes for something that should be made correctly in the first place ....... well, at least they are giving me a free website, but I use it very little. This all is so hard sometimes though, just would like to throw it away sometimes ......... you know? Like, why did I start up with this stuff in the first place. Probably boredom I guess, well I am not bored anymore, that is for sure, hahahaha. More like "borged" (bored and bugged)! Now that was a good one, I should get money for that one, hahahah.

Hope this helps you guys, stop fussin' with it, run restore, watch the boob tube, run SP1 without 3rd party interference and all will be fine again .......... until the next one comes along to get us! Oh, and when you take back your computer that doesn't work anymore, take back the software disks that came with it too, so the next guy gets them, please?

Jeff in TX

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 4:51 PM
  • If you wanna read my long reply, go to:

Stephan van der Plas,

System halts in boot after installation SP1: !! 0xc0000034 !!

I did alot of writing there, basically I think you will have to do complete restore. I have been through this with Microsoft, Toshiba, and it was interference from AntiVirus software, 3rd party software that mucks it up, and Microsoft wipes out all previous restore points so if the reboot doesn't make it, we are just out of luck!

So do Factory Restore, watch some boob-tube, run all the updates but when SP1 comes along, make sure your antivirus program is completely out of the picture. Should slip in place just fine. You can also disable startup 3rd party stuff by doing the Run thing and typing in MSCONFIG, then on the services tab hide the Microsoft stuff and disable all other, click the Startup tab, disable all it, you will reboot upon agreeing all is ready. Then with that virgin boot running, do your Microsoft Update until the SP1 starts its download, run it, and you should be in place. Make a fresh restore point, first thing; then run MSCONFIG again, restore all start up stuff, OK it and after it reboots, you should be good for another 60,000 miles or 6 years, whichever comes first.

Jeff in TX

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 5:15 PM
  • Hello,

If you are experiencing this error and you can get the following files:

%windir%\logs\cbs\*.*
        %windir%\WindowsUpdate*.log
        %windir%\inf\setupapi.dev.log
        %windir%\winsxs\poqexec.log (if exists)
        %windir%\winsxs\pending.* (if exists)
        %windir%\Performance\WinSAT\Datastore\*.*
        %windir%\System32\winevt\Logs\application.evtx

Can you zip them up and upload them to https://sftus.one.microsoft.com/choosetransfer.aspx?key=80fd195b-af64-488b-920c-25fec191ed68 using the password “L4AxFm_%daA%n"? Please include your forum alias in the zip file so I know whose files they are. This will help us greatly in finding the root cause of the problem and in looking for a solution.

Thank you,
    Michael Giusty

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 12:56 AM
  •  

Hi Michael

I'm sending you files in a min... I got same issue -- Dell Inspiron 1420, Vista - after SP1 cannot start, cannot repair, cannot restore from 'before SP1' resore point and cannot pass crcdisk.sys in safe mode. Just stuck there.

Can you suggest any workaround to make it work (except Vista fresh reinstall)?

I really do not want spend time copying  ~100Gb of my wife's files to other computer ...

VBA

Monday, August 25, 2008 3:25 AM
  • Hey VBA,

Can you try and run the newest version of CheckSur? Let me know if whether or not you can and if it helps.
    You can find CheckSur here:
    X86: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=2889489c-ee87-4607-8aa5-812e8078ab27&DisplayLang=en
    X64: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=14f76773-007c-493f-bece-243bc21ac73d&DisplayLang=en

Thanks,
    Michael Giusty

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 1:23 AM
  • Hey Raz7719,

Looking at your logs it looks like your pending.xml is corrupted. Try taking a look at this article and the suggested solutions. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949358. Please let me know whether or not this helps.

Thanks,
    Michael Giusty

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 11:21 PM
  • Hi Michael ,

I was a bit  impatient and copied all (hopefully) user data to external drive and DVDs, and re-installed Vista  from Dell DVD on top of existing installation. It moved old files into windows.old folder and now I can finally login and see my data. 
    I'm re-installing applications now.

Thanks for your help, maybe next person with similar issue will use your suggestions.

VBA

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 5:03 PM
  •  

we do send out the disks you should have recived them when you bought the system, if not give us(dell) a call and ask for them

ZENIFF

Monday, September 1, 2008 7:09 PM
  •  

for all of you that do not know. that error code usually means that the mbr (master boot record) is missing or corrupt, to get that fixed there are some options, google "mbr missing" or reinstall the os. the problem is caused on most laptops when the power mode shuts down the harddrive before the update is complete.
    Monday, September 1, 2008 7:15 PM
  • Please someone help me.

Dell wants me to wipe my hard drive clean and start over.

From what I've read this won't do any good.

Please explain it to me like you would to a 6 year old.

Friday, September 5, 2008 6:03 AM
  • Hey Robert WL,

You could try to run CheckSur. I posted the links a few posts back. If that doesn’t work you can upload your log files and I can take a look at them and see if I can find the problem.

Thanks,
    Michael Giusty

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 12:12 AM
  • Hi Michael,

So I can't get into my computer at all. Startup recovery doesnt do anything, neither did system restore. I am getting the same !! 0xc0000034 !! message and cant boot up anything to be able to find files for you and send them, or download CheckSur. How can I do that?

Thanks,
    Ali
    Sunday, September 14, 2008 12:52 AM
  • Hey Ali,

Do you have a Vista DVD? You might be able to use that or something similar to boot into a recovery environment. If you have a Vista DVD can you give that a shot?

Thanks,
    Mike

Monday, September 15, 2008 10:44 PM
  • Michael,

So I got a friend's Vista CD and I booted from the CD and clicked on Repair at which point it started scanning files and what not. It said it found and corrected some files, and that it would restart. On the restart, it asked if I wanted to Recover my computer, and I hit Yes. After waiting for a long time, I decided this option had frozen just as the System Recovery without the CD had. So there is still no way I can find to actually get into my computer.

Are there any other options on the Vista DVD that I can use to boot my computer?

Ali
    Tuesday, September 16, 2008 8:46 PM
  •  eve6rocker wrote:
    Hi Michael,

So I can't get into my computer at all. Startup recovery doesnt do anything, neither did system restore. I am getting the same !! 0xc0000034 !! message and cant boot up anything to be able to find files for you and send them, or download CheckSur. How can I do that?

Thanks,
    Ali

Hey Eve, here's what I did to fix the problem. Please someone try this solution to let me know if it works for them. Im on a Dell XPS 420 quad core.

anyway, here's what I did to fix the problem

1. Turn off your computer and make sure put in Vista Reinstallation DVD.

2. Go into BIOS and set your boot sequence so that you boot into CD/DVD first instead of Hard drive.

3. Once your in the utilities screen, select the "scans disks for errors" option.

4. After you scan the disk (takes about 10 mins), it will reboot, then go into another scan.

5. During the second scan, make sure you do not press any keys to abort this scan!. This scan will detect a bunch of bad clusters and eliminate them.

6. After this scan, the system will hang a bit, but you should be able to get back into Vista...

hope this helps...

Please someone test this before re-installing Vista.. thanks....
    Tuesday, September 16, 2008 8:47 PM
  • Diegoesk - The thing you said about having it scan about 3 times worked - after booting from the cd 2 other times and having it scan and do its business, the third time led me to have the option to System Restore, which it then did.  Thanks Diegoesk!

Michael - So now that I'm back to having a working computer without SP1, should I just leave it how it is or is SP1 that crucial? I'm really skeptical right now, but if feel like if there is no way to lose my data and my attempt would help Microsoft to help others with the same problem, I may be up for it. Let me know.
    Wednesday, September 17, 2008 9:00 PM
  • Hey Ali,

It’s good to see that you got your machine up and running. I don’t want to advise you on getting SP1 one way or the other without knowing why you had trouble installing it in the first place. If you want to send me those files I asked for I can try to see why you got into that state. We can go forward from there.

Thanks,

Michael Giusty

Thursday, September 18, 2008 10:20 PM
  • Hi everyone.  I have the same problem.

Michael, how am I supposed to get the files to him when my PC won't boot into safe mode, and when I use the Vista disk to get a command prompt I'm unable to access any network storage?  Do you have any advice here?

My computer seems completely unusable.  The 'repair' option fails saying that it can't find a problem.  Trying to revert to my "Vista SP1" restore point fails:

"System restore failed due to an unspecified error.  The file cannot be opened transactionally because its identity depends on the outcome of an unresolved transaction (0x80071AA7)"

I've scanned the HDD a few times without luck too.  Very frustrating.

Looking forward to hearing some kind of advice at this point.  I really don't want to reinstall the OS and potentially lose everything as I can't figure out how to get files off the machine at this point.

The error message I'm receiving consistently now is:

!! 0xc0190036 !! 1797/130511 (chglogon.exe)

Since the error first started occurring I've had different errors too, including:

!! 0xc0190002 !! 1785/130511 (dhcpcmonitor.dll)
    !! 0xc0190102 !! 2136/130511 (werdiagcontroller.dll)

I also tried disabling all USB/FireWire/Network devices in the BIOS (someone else said that worked for them) but no luck for me.

My machine is an Intel Core 2 QUAD Q6600 2.4GHz / ASUS P5K Premium.  I've tried booting with 4GB/2GB/1GB RAM but no luck in any configuration.  Someone else said reducing their RAM helped them.  My boot volume is a RAID 1 (mirrored) volume controlled via an onboard Intel Matrix controller.

Really missing my main machine.  This is very frustrating.  On the light side, it does mean that I've nearly finished GTA4.

Thanks in advance.
    Tuesday, September 23, 2008 7:49 PM
  • Before when I mentioned that I'd scanned the HDD a few times, I was referring to a boot-time check that was requested.  I'd let that run a few times.

Now I'm trying to chkdsk /f the C: and have found that every time (I've done it four times now) it claims to find and fix several issues.  However, they're the same issues each time, so I'm guessing that we're not really moving forwards here.  Also, werDiagcontroller.dll and chglogon.exe are both files for while messages are presented.

The messages fall into two main categories:

1) Deleting index entry <filename> in index $I30 of file 1886.
    2) Recovering orphaned file <filename> (<num>) into directory file 1886.

Is there some way I can get this volume to report consistency?  I also noticed on a recent boot that the RAID controller's post screen says the main mirrored volume has degraded.

Any tips or ideas appreciated.
    Tuesday, September 23, 2008 10:35 PM
  • Hey Drew,

At this point there aren’t a lot of options. You could try to run the command “fsutil resource setautoreset true c:\” from a recover environment. If you can manage to do that and reboot, it may get you back into a bootable state. However you machine will be in an unknown state. I’d recommend you back up your important files if you can, then I would try installing the SP again to put your system in a more consistent state. Let me know if that help or if you have any questions.

Thanks,
    Mike

Thursday, September 25, 2008 11:06 PM
  • No further comments on this?  I've tried so many different ideas over the last week that I'm really in despair at this point.

"sfc /scannow" fails to run.

I'm still getting exactly the same file system errors from "chkdsk /f" every time I run it, even though chkdsk completes.  Actually when it finishes it says it was unable to write to the event log due to error code 50, but there's no indication that it's corrections shouldn't have been applied.

I've tried removing all-but-one disk too.  In my case as I'm running a RAID mirror I've tried booting off each disk individually (without it's pair attached).  Same problem.

I failed to mention previously that I'm running Vista Ultimate x64.
    Sunday, September 28, 2008 10:23 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Please disregard the first line of my previous post.  Your reply appeared on the next page of forum posts and I hadn't seen it when refreshing my browser.

Jeez I'm not super thrilled to hear this news!  I will try your suggestion tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

FYI I expect this may be due, in my case, to a short spell I spent with some problematic RAM.   The RAM has since been replaced with tested, working RAM but some files may have been damaged during that short time.

Are there any log files you would like me to tail?  In other posts there's talk of c:\windows\logs\cbs\cbs.log

Also, what about deleting the contents of "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download"?  I haven't tried this yet.

I found a post today that seemed only mildly related but mentioned problems with the event log and it's related services.  I noticed that chkdsk gives an error message about the event log.  Are event log services even running in this recovery environment?  Should I take any notice of that message?  It's just strange to me that chkdsk /f repeatedly processes the same errors.

Thanks for getting back to me,

Drew.
    Sunday, September 28, 2008 11:47 PM
  • I ran fsutil as you suggested:

C:\Windows\System32>fsutil resource setautoreset true c:\
    The operation completed successfully.

Attempting a boot after that fails with the same error, although it's on a different file now:

!! 0xc0000034 !! 325/130511 (program_files_x86_676bbe2c7241b694.cdf-ms)

While in recovery mode I also looked through the last lines of my cbs.log file.  The only error line I could see was this, just a few statements from the end of the file:

2008-09-16 20:19:28, Error   CBS   Shtd: Failed while processing non-critical primitive operations queue. hr: 0x80070570. Non-critical primitives will be retired from SMSS.

There are no log entries from a date later than that.  I'm guessing that this date (16 Sep) is when I accepted Windows Update's request to install SP1.  Really wishing I hadn't done that now...

Perhaps tonight I'll try booting into Knoppix and preparing some of these files for you.  Is there anything in particular I could send to you that might help diagnose this issue?

Drew.
    Monday, September 29, 2008 6:22 AM
  • Hey Drew,

Thanks for the update and new information. I’m working on finding you a better solution. I’ll give you an update once I know more.

I was under the impression that you were unable to get your logs. If you can get them and upload them then please do. They may help determine exactly what the root of your problem is.

Thanks,
    Michael Giusty

Monday, September 29, 2008 7:05 PM
  • Hi Michael,

Well you've breathed some more hope into me.  I can access the logs from the command line available via the Vista installation disk, but I don't have network access at that time.  I will boot into Linux from a CD and transfer them to you as soon as physically possible.

Thanks again for your response.

Drew
    Monday, September 29, 2008 9:39 PM
  • Hey Drew,

I’ll take a look at the logs when you send them in.

You could also try follow the instructions in this knowledge base article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949358 and delete pending.xml. This may get your machine into an inconsistent but workable state. If it does a reattempt to install will likely fix things up properly.

Let me know how that goes or if you have any questions. I’m not sure what state you machine is in now, you may not be able to back up any of your files but I recommend you back up what files you can if at all possible.

Thanks,
    Michael Giusty

Monday, September 29, 2008 11:48 PM
  •  

I took a brief look at this last night.  Unfortunately my plan of booting into Knoppix in order to gain network access didn't quite work as my main HDD is a RAID mirror which wasn't readable.

However, when I boot into the WinRE command prompt from my Vista disk then I can read the files, but I don't seem to have any network access.  Should I be able to access network shares from WinRE?  How about FTP?  USB drives?  I don't have a USB key but I could get one if that was the only possible option.

I'll investigate further tonight and get you the logs.  I'm not ready to give up yet!

Thursday, October 2, 2008 9:13 AM
  • Well I've run the gauntlet and am pleased to say that all the logs files you requested are coming to you in a ZIP file as I type this.

Quite a mission though...  no networking was available from WinRE so I plugged in an extra HDD and copied to logs to that.  Then, I downloaded the latest Knoppix distribution ISO (4.3GB) which is version 5.3.1.  This allowed me access to a ZIP utility, and to network access.  I couldn't use Konqueror to upload to the Microsoft URL you provided -- nothing would happen.  So, I copied the ZIP to my NAS over SMB and tried both Firefox and Safari on my MacBook Pro, again without luck.  So I VNC'd from the Mac to and ancient Win2000 server and tried the upload using IE 6.  Finally, the uploader launched a popup window and gave some indication that it was succeeding.  I apologise if you received the file multiple times but only IE gave any indication of success.  I would ask that you recommend this file upload service be cross-browser/platform tested a little more than it already is.

So Michael, I just want to say thanks for taking the time to review these logs.  If you get a chance to feedback tomorrow then I'll action your suggestions over the weekend.  I hope there's something leading there which gives an insight into my predicament.  Failing all else I now have a very convoluted way of getting my files backed up, but at least it's a start.

Best regards,

Drew.
    Thursday, October 2, 2008 9:59 PM
  • Wow, that’s quite a story. Good work, Drew. I’ve got your files now, thanks. I can’t promise you any useful feed back by tomorrow, but I’ll try to get back to you as soon as possible.

Thanks,
    Michael Giusty

Thursday, October 2, 2008 10:15 PM
  • You were luck system restore failed to fix this for me.  It says the file identity is not valid.  It suggests I try a different restore time.  Too bad SP1 erased all previouse times

Friday, October 3, 2008 2:44 PM
  • No problem Michael.  I appreciate that you're a busy person.

Have a good weekend.

Drew.

Friday, October 3, 2008 6:04 PM
  • Michael,

I installed SP 1 on my Dell Inspiron 1525 with Windows Vista Home Premium.
    During initial install the computer restarted several times, and on one install got hung up on a black screen with one line of text across it. I do not remember what that text was. After it stalled for several hours, I finally reset the computer. Upon rebooting, the computer stuck on a BSOD with the STOP error code 0x0000c1f5.

I called Microsoft Tech support as well as Dell Tech support, both of which ran me through several attempts at fixing it, none of which worked, then eventually told me pretty much just to give up and wipe the hard drive and reinstall everything.
    That wasn't okay with me, since I use my computer for a consulting business and cannot afford to lose the data I have on it. Eventually I found a workaround using System Rescue CD that required me to mount the boot drive and delete the file $TxfLog from a hidden file.

After removing the file I was able to get past the BSOD, and into some of the diagnostic tools and recovery utilities, etc., that I couldn't even access at all before due to the BSOD. However, System Restore says it has encountered a problem that can't be corrected automatically. I've tried every other option available, and after each one, restarting the computer eventually leads me back to the same black screen everyone else is hitting here:
    A flickering white text on a black background reading :
    !! 0xc0000034 !! 249/91433 (0000000000000000.cdf-ms)

Next I looked it up in Microsofts Tech Support, and followed the instructions there. None of those resolved the problem either.

Any tips?
    Tuesday, October 7, 2008 8:19 AM

•   I am working on a computer that has the exact problem, I also follow the directions on how to delete the $TxfLog file and I get the same error "
    !! 0xc0000034 !! 249/91433 (0000000000000000.cdf-ms)" I've tried many things with no luck. I am going to ask my friend for permission to grab an image of his harddrive and format the computer. I can't spend more time on this, unless someone else has a better idea.
    If you don't want to lose your data I recommend downloading Macrium Reflect, its free for 30days, enough time to restore your important data. It's easy to use. All I have to say is that Vista sucks and I am glad I am not using it, actually I will try to convince my friend into Win XP. Good luck!
    Tuesday, October 7, 2008 1:32 PM
  •  @Drew,
    Sorry, but I don’t have any good news for you. I looked into your logs and asked around but there doesn’t seem to be a better solution than the one in the kb article I linked to a few posts ago. The only thing I can suggest at this point is to back up what files you can/need, then try to follow the instructions here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949358 to delete the pending.xml file. If that gets you back to a workable state, reattempting the install should get you back into a good state. If you try this please let me know how it goes for you. Hopefully you’ll be up and running soon. Again, I’d recommend backing up your files first.

@s_g_davenport & a087
    I’ll look into this and give you an update when I know more. In the mean time depending on how usable your machine is, if you can, try to run CheckSur

X86: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=2889489c-ee87-4607-8aa5-812e8078ab27&DisplayLang=en
    X64: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=14f76773-007c-493f-bece-243bc21ac73d&DisplayLang=en

This been known to solve the issue.

Also, if you can get access to the following files:
        %windir%\logs\cbs\*.*
        %windir%\WindowsUpdate*.log
        %windir%\inf\setupapi.dev.log
        %windir%\winsxs\poqexec.log (if exists)
        %windir%\winsxs\pending.* (if exists)
        %windir%\Performance\WinSAT\Datastore\*.*
        %windir%\System32\winevt\Logs\application.evtx

Can you zip them up and upload them to https://sftus.one.microsoft.com/choosetransfer.aspx?key=80fd195b-af64-488b-920c-25fec191ed68 using the password “L4AxFm_%daA%n"? Please include your forum alias in the zip file so I know whose files they are. They will tell me a lot more about the state of your machine and hopefully help me find a solution for you.

I’ll try to get back to you with an update soon.

Tuesday, October 7, 2008 6:04 PM
  • Hi Michael,
    I'm also having the 0xc0000034 issue when trying to install Vista SP1 (running Vista Ultimate x64).

I tried running the Checksur program, but my computer hangs at the finalizing part of system restore so I can't get far enough to try that.

I've copied all the log files you listed and uploaded them.

I tried the Pending.XML fix you suggested, but it doesn't get into Windows. (Also, the regkey HLKM\Offline Components\AdvancedInstallersNeedResolving did not exist, the other one did though). It also won't get into safemode - it get stuck on storport.sys.

I think I'm going to have to end up reinstalling Windows....

Thanks
    Friday, October 10, 2008 9:46 PM
  • Hi Michael.

I tried deleting the pending.xml file and adjusting the registry (note that the '
    AdvancedInstallersNeedResolving' key did not exist).  Restarting the PC results, after quite a long period of a strobing green progress bar, in a black screen that does not respond to keyboard or mouse input.  I'll try a few more reboots, but I think it's finally rebuild time Sad

Thanks for your suggestions anyway.

Drew.
    Saturday, October 11, 2008 2:04 PM
  • Hello from Russia, my fellow comrades!

Got the same problem here yesterday, was kind of shocked to see it’s so widespread. Am (or rather, was) running Vista Ultimate x64 on a Q9550 with 6 Gb RAM (2x2+2x1 Kingston DDR3 @1333MHz). Vista was installed on a RAID0 array of 2x500 Hitachi HDDs. There is another 1 Tb Hitachi HDD in the system used for data storage. The motherboard is ASUS P5Q3, the video card — 512 Mb ASUS EN8800GTS. The PC is brand new, 1 week old. Vista was preinstalled by the vendor along with MS Office 2007 Pro, as requested by me.

Ever since the purchase Vista has been highly unstable. Crashed every 20-30 minutes into BSODs, nearly every time displaying DIFFERENT errors. I had trouble installing updates — about 50 % of those failed with “Unknown error installing update”. However, I managed to install all available updates manually.

I thought the answer to my problems would be the long awaited SP1. Well, it sure was! Now I don’t have to tolerate the crashes any longer, since my PC won’t even boot Smile There’s suddenly so much spare time, to read, to watch TV, to hang out with friends, to walk in the forest Smile

Dear Michael, thank you very much for your support and comments! I’ll now read this whole thread. Who knows, perhaps, I too will find myself a solution Smile

P.S.: I’d hate reinstalling Vista. Not to mention the time wasted, but my Office is that Medialess Edition! I wonder, who was so clever at Microsoft as to devise such a "smart" scheme of selling programs without backup disks? What aim does this solution serve? I truly don’t get it…

Monday, October 13, 2008 8:14 AM
  • Hi Michael

Hope you can help me out with a similar error with Vista Ultimate down after service pack one installation attempt.

I've been in third / final line support for 20 years so hopefully between us we can solve this once and for all.

Firstly, for anyone looking at a !! 0xc01a001d !! or similar error on the third phase of service pack 1, here's a link provided by Leukermoser to a list of the error numbers and assocaiated meanings:

I take no credit as i found it on another technet link, http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2812263&SiteID=17 posted by Luekermoser in Feb 2008.

my error number repeated here for ease:

http://ivanlef0u.free.fr/repo/windoz/ntstatus.txt

C01A001D	STATUS_LOG_FULL	Log space is exhausted.
    first problem we had was after unsuccessful install attempt, monitor came up with blank screen after every boot.  pc working ok.   looks like this was caused in some way by the tft monitor / video card / os incorrectly communicating the refresh rates etc when using the DVI connector, as i found some posts suggesting using the vga cable instead and that fixed the problem.   reverting to older video drivers didnt cure this problem.
    SP 1 has been unsuccessfully trying to install via windows update for months looking in the logs.  after getting a work around for the monitor problem, i downloaded a local copy of the SP, disconnected the network cable (to reduce risk of virus / hacking etc) and then disabled all mcafee AV etc.   This seems to have enabled the SP to progress further (windows update said it installed correctly but needed a restart, and thats when it used to fail) - with the result that i now get the above error.  
    I dont appear to be able to get in via safe mode any more, so have used the vista disk, repair mode, but restore points dont seem to get me any further.
    I've now managed to get into a command prompt whilst waiting (for about 3 hours so far) for "system restore to finalise the file restore".  i've copied the logs / files you requested above, and will upload them to you shortly.
    Perhaps you can confirm which log file is full (i see entries spanning back to january or so this year, when my wife first got the computer) and one of them is 99mb large!

Any help to get my wife's pc operational (and me off the hook!) would be gratefully received.

best regards

Glen
    GlenDOTcollinsonATeds.com if you need to contact me directly...  ;-)

Monday, October 13, 2008 10:36 AM
  • Hi Michael / all

Decided to progress things since it appears i have a "log file full" problem.

Used Vista disk boot, repair, safe mode command prompt to get in.

I've made a backup directory beneath each of the folders you mentioned to send the logs from, and then moved the log files you mentioned to those subdirectories.

i also backed up the whole of the WINEVT folder but DIDNT move them

Likewise, i left the pending.xml originals but copied them.

unfortunately this got me no further - well maybe a few 'lines' further to 28321 / 91097, as opposed to 28309 / 91097.

from doing a file content search, it looks like the files that contain references to this error message:

!! c01a001d !!  28321/91097 (\Registry\Machine\COMPONENTS\DerivedData...)

are:

"Pending.xml"  ~ 32 mb

"pending.xml.01c92b986e29cb90"  ~ 32mb

"poqexec.log"  ~ 3 kb

for those who are interested the full error message in the poqexec.log file is:

1c92b986e29cb90: 65b, c01a001d, 815d, 0, SetKeyValue ;\Registry\Machine\COMPONENTS\DerivedData\VersionedIndex\6.0.6001.18000_001c50b5\ComponentFamilies\x86_networking-mpssvc-admin_31bf3856ad364e35_none_6c9e181d7a342cf0\f256!wf.msc\e35518533e15d7ad8960fb42e71c2f3f849d5b99d2de0bb25174e20f3cbbb1d9, 6.0.6000.16386, , AA==

i guess my next step - pending hearing any more guidance - is to backup then edit the pending.xml file if viable, and remove any obvious cause relating to the above error.

lets hope we can sort this - it's a poor show when people seem to be having these problems since the start of the year and it is STILL not resolved, and no work around for many.

best regards

Glen

Monday, October 13, 2008 1:08 PM
  • @Drew,
    I’m sorry that things didn’t work out for you.

@Everyone,
    If you are seeing your machine hand on the black screen where it appears to be listing off a large number of files you can try to run the following command from a recovery environment if possible:

"fsutil resource setautoreset true c:\"
    This may get your machine into a workable yet unknown state. If this is successful it is recommended that you try to reattempt the install to get your machine back into a stable state.

For those of you who are seeing the 0xc0000034 error but can get your machine into a bootable state, you can try to run the new version of CheckSur found here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821
    This may resolve your issue.

If you attempt these solutions please let me know how things go for you. I’ll take a look at your individual cases and give you updates as I have them.

Thanks,
    Michael Giusty

Monday, October 13, 2008 6:39 PM
  • I ended up reinstalling Windows (fortunately this machine is just an HTPC so there wasn't much post-setup to do...). I ran CheckSur and installed SP1 off the Standalone package and everything worked fine...
    Tuesday, October 14, 2008 12:20 AM
  • did you install vista in a computor that is for xp ?????

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 3:32 AM
  • try taking the hard drive out and format in another comp run a anti virus scan defrag and scandisk  replace it in the comp and reinstall a fresh os sys   do not install vista go xp home service pack 2 or 3  and she should come back

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 3:37 AM
  • you should have never updated to vista bad choice pull the drive out clean format defrag and scan for viruses   re place it and install a fresh xp home sp2 and youll be ok

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 3:51 AM
  • Michael, as always, thanks very much! Will sure try that one.

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 4:27 AM
  •  Michael Giusty [MS] wrote:

@Drew,
    I’m sorry that things didn’t work out for you.

@Everyone,
    If you are seeing your machine hand on the black screen where it appears to be listing off a large number of files you can try to run the following command from a recovery environment if possible:

"fsutil resource setautoreset true c:\"
    This may get your machine into a workable yet unknown state. If this is successful it is recommended that you try to reattempt the install to get your machine back into a stable state.

For those of you who are seeing the 0xc0000034 error but can get your machine into a bootable state, you can try to run the new version of CheckSur found here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821
    This may resolve your issue.

If you attempt these solutions please let me know how things go for you. I’ll take a look at your individual cases and give you updates as I have them.

Thanks,
    Michael Giusty

Hi Michael

thanks for the suggestion.

The fsutil appeared to run instantly (i guess a flag reset) but it made no difference.

I've also tried making a sub directory under each of the log file areas, and moving them all, in case the problem was because of historical data in the log.

This didnt help either, so i've reinstated the files where appropraite.

Have you had a chance to look at the logs i uploaded for you the other day, yet?

Can you confirm which log file is full, when that error occurs?

Any more ideas    ?

btw i also tried renaming the pending.xml etc as per the other post, but had the same problem as one of the other people - couldn't get any sort of boot at all while they were renamed.

many thanks

Glen

Thursday, October 16, 2008 11:13 AM
  • One other question too, michael.

I forced the System Readiness Tool download as per the instructions PRIOR to attempting the final, terminal install attempt of SP 1, and it downloaded, but i couldn't see any dialogue box to indicate that it was or indeed DID run.

It just appeared in the windows update log as installed successfully if i recall correctly.

Can i download it from my laptop, and run this in safe mode manually, or is it only invoked by windows update / install?

I'm now back at the point that i can only get into safe mode, and that ONLY by booting from the vista cd. 

SAFE mode from the current windows install stops at one of the driver load lines.

Normal mode results in the !! 0xc01a001d !!  28309 / 91097 ( \Registry\Machine\COMPONENTS\DerivedData...) message.

Glen

Thursday, October 16, 2008 12:20 PM
  • Hey Glen,

I’m not seeing anything in the logs that give me an idea for another work around yet. If you download the update from the Download Center (the link in my previous post) you can move it to any machine and install it. Give that a try and let me know how it goes. I’ll take another look at the logs and see if there something else we can try.

Thanks,
    Michael Giusty

Thursday, October 16, 2008 8:52 PM
  • the !! 0xc0000034 !! $##*$(*#@. 

I think mine was 0xc0000034 248/91507 I think that someone 
    was trying to update to service pack 1 in vista. Im not sure. its not my computer. anyway i was able to
    boot to the desktop by restoring a previous version of the registry hive.

remove or rename the following files in the directory c:\Windows\system32\config\
    SAM 
    SECURITY 
    SOFTWARE
    SYSTEM

I.E. in the console window. c:\>rename default default.bak

copy the following files found in c:\Windows\system32\config\backup\
    DEFAULT.OLD 
    SAM.OLD
    SECURITY.OLD 
    SOFTWARE.OLD
    SYSTEM.OLD

to c:\Windows\system32\config\
    SAM 
    SECURITY 
    SOFTWARE
    SYSTEM

rename these following files from *.old to the original file names
    I.E. in the console window. c:\>rename default.old default

this should at least get you to a semi working desktop. Where either a repair install or or an install 
    of service pack 1 again should be done.

Monday, October 27, 2008 7:19 PM
  • Guys, I haven’t had a lot of spare time lately, so I decided in favour of a complete reinstall. Which I don’t regret in the slightest, since it took only 15 minutes on my PC, at most. What delighted me most was that no other driver installation was necessary, since Vista Ultimate appeared to have everything needed for my components — a real step forward compared to XP.

Naturally, I immediately updated the drivers for the chipset and video card. However, I used those from the producer (Intel and nVidia, respectively), rather than the drivers suggested by Windows Update Centre. Furthermore, I haven’t used any of the drivers that came along with my ASUS motherboard.

As a result, this time I had only 2 BSODs and 1 critical error (the kind that results in system restart in 1 minute) — all of these in 2 days of intensive system tests. (Remember, that the same Vista preinstalled by the PC vendor used to crash on average every 20-30 minutes? Smile) Well, in terms of overall stability this outcome is still very bad compared to several years of flawless running of XP SP2 (in which no BSOD has ever occurred), but it’s way better than it was just a couple of weeks ago Smile

Now… Should I try installing SP1 again? I probably would. Only this time I’ll be smart enough to backup my whole OS first.

PS: On the whole, I am disappointed with Vista. There are a lot of obvious improvements, but the system lacks the kind of stability to which I have grown accustomed ever since Win95 OSR2 hit the market. Perhaps, Vista SP2 will finally reverse the way things are now? I sure hope.

Anyway, good luck with that!

Tuesday, October 28, 2008 11:49 AM
  • I was in the same soup.  Here is what worked for me.  I had a healthy Vista pre-SP1 system - when I did a Microsoft Update to Apply SP1.  System would not subsequently boot.  On reboot I had a black screen with white writing, some file scanning was happening, and then the boot process would get stuck with a !! 0xC01a001d !! error message.

The Vista Repair options or System Restore processes did not work, they would simply run forever.

Out of desperation I used a Microsoft Vista Business w/SP1 install DVD.  (The failing system is Vista Home Premium).

I booted from the DVD, and choose REPAIR.  The repair process started running, then I was prompted about whether I wanted to do a System Restore.  I had gotten this far before prior to trying the Vista Business w/SP1 DVD, and the System Restore would run forever and not complete.  However this time, the system restore did complete (!), and then the subsequent reboot worked correctly and booted my Vista Home Premium system.  Hooray.  This is really a weird but true story.

• Proposed as answer by deJaya Monday, February 22, 2010 2:58 PM
    Saturday, November 1, 2008 2:07 AM
  • Right, a real weird one! I only hope Microsoft collects our stories and studies them thoroughly.

Sunday, November 9, 2008 9:44 AM
  • Some update: I now DO like Vista! :)

After reinstall I've been having pretty much the same trouble as before UNTIL I updated BIOS on my Asus P5Q3. The latest verson "solves some compatibility problems with certain Yorkfield processors and certain memory types". Well, don't know for sure whether there were such problems with my CPU and RAM, but after that (and following another complete reinstall) Vista for the first time works FLAWLESSLY.

However, now I cannot install SP1 AT ALL :) Says "internal error". Perhaps, this is a Microsoft's way of telling me: "Hey, STOP: your system aleady works fine, why would you want it to crash again?" :)
    Sunday, December 14, 2008 6:58 AM
  • What a bunch of ____.. sp1 has been out almost a year, a year? longer?? and they havent fixed an extremely common problem.

Way to go microsoft!! merry xmas to you too

My next computer will certainly be an APPLE even though its a system and company i despise, Its better than this ____ that a service pack destroys your system.

-not a happy camper
    Wednesday, December 24, 2008 3:56 PM
  • I am very upset.  I downloaded Windows Vista Service Pack and my system will not reboot.  I get a black screen with several options including safe mode and none of the options will re-start my system.  I've been staring at the black screen with nothing to do, nothing happening.  I'm going to lose a ton of pictures, files, etc.  sooooo upset and really hate Vista and Microsoft at this point.  no trust whatsoever in the software they create.  It completely crashed my system.  it was almost like a virus.  Ironically I downloaded the vista service pack to avoid a virus but instead it attacked my computer and now I'm facing losing everything.

I have a Windows Vista Anytime upgrade disk and a computer techie that I've hired to fix it seems to think this may just be the solution. My laptop provider also sent me two restore disks and a repair disk.  I will spend over $100 to repair my system once this is all said and done, and I may not have any of my former documents to show for it.

I hope this works, because I will be absolutely devistated if I cannot retrieve my files.  True: I should have had a back-up file but I didn't. 

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Friday, January 30, 2009 3:15 AM
  • I sure hope Microsoft is taking the time to read these posts, because the fact that their software update is killing people's computers is absolutely 100% unacceptable. Sure you see commercials where people buy PCs for half the price of Macs, but you know what, Macs don't have issues like this .

I have been suffering the same problem that everyone else on this forum has had. I'm grateful for the fact that I've been able to do a complete PC image restore, but the fact that Microsoft has not fixed this yet is unbelievable. It is clear that though Microsoft may say they are trying to make their OS as clean as possible, there are still problems that they themselves can't even fix.

I can't communicate my frustration and anger over this problem. Sure, I've been able to restore my computer and keep my files, but many people haven't. This is unacceptable. How can a company put out an upgrade that basically kills your computer? This is disgusting.

It should also be known that I have tried all of the above solutions, have traded countless emails with Microsoft's IT "professionals" (I say this with my hands shaking in anger), and have even tried re-installing Windows Vista, thus wiping my core memory, then restoring my PC, only to have the problem happen again once I do this.

Microsoft, you should be ashamed. This problem has been happening for well over a year (since February of 2008!!), yet there has been no fix, no patch, nothing whatsoever, only a few diagnostic tests that DON'T DO ANYTHING.

I can assure you that I will NEVER buy a Microsoft product EVER again, as this problem and Microsoft's lack of a fix has left with me NO faith in the company whatsoever. I know I am rambling, but these are the words of an enraged PC user that is, honestly, pretty good with computers. Microsoft has done nothing to correct this problem and it has been a year and three months, HOW MUCH TIME DO YOU NEED?
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 11:38 PM
  •  

Hi,

Unable to boot to desktop. Tried Safe Mode, LKGC, System restore, Start up Repair from win RE still unable to Boot.

Try  to perform a Manual System Restore to fix the issue.

·         Boot from Vista DVD also try get in to inbuilt WIN RE for OEM computrers

·         Get in to WINRE

·         Open command prompt

·         Enter the following commands to create a Manual System Restore to fix the issue.

C:

C:\windows\system32\config>ren default default.old

C:\windows\system32\config>ren sam sam.old

C:\windows\system32\config>ren security security.old

C:\windows\system32\config>ren software software.old

C:\windows\system32\config>ren system system.old

C:\windows\system32\config>cd regback

C:\windows\system32\config\regback>copy default c:\windows\system32\config

C:\windows\system32\config\regback>copy sam c:\windows\system32\config

C:\windows\system32\config\regback>copy security c:\windows\system32\config

C:\windows\system32\config\regback>copy software c:\windows\system32\config

C:\windows\system32\config\regback>copy system c:\windows\system32\config

Thanks .

Arun.

Arun
    • Proposed as answer by Mike_jane Thursday, May 21, 2009 1:12 AM
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 1:11 AM
  • Arun, thank you.

To all others, Arun's fix works with VISTA SP2 error code !! 0xc0000034 !! too!!!

Good luck, and please dont give up and run to the Mac store so quickly, shame on you all!

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 4:04 PM
  • Hi Mikey W,

Thank you so much for your time to write me the status.

Thanks

Arun
    Arun
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 8:25 PM
  • If you are still having problems installing SP2 where it will appear to install, but after the first reboot while applying updates it tells you that there is an error and rolls back, try this.

open a cmd prompt

type: sfc /scannow

reboot and install SP2 again.

again, good luck!

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 8:58 PM
  •  

Hi,

Unable to boot to desktop. Tried Safe Mode, LKGC, System restore, Start up Repair from win RE still unable to Boot.

·          Boot from Vista DVD also try get in to inbuilt WIN RE for OEM computrers

·          Get in to WINRE

·          Open command prompt

·          Enter the following commands to create a Manual System Restore to fix the issue.

C:

Thanks .

Arun.

Arun
    First, thanks for your reply.

But I'm noob here.
    I tried to follow you but after I boot up my computer from Vista Ultimate 64 bits DVD "blue screen" appeared and then I need to restart.

Can you tell me how to get to WINRE please?
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 1:59 AM
  • Hi Arun,

also works for SP2 Problem at the PC of my Girlfriend.
    At the first restart of manual system resore, i got a error message (system file corrupted)
    After a second copy of the system file everything works fine.

Thank You
    Friday, May 29, 2009 7:06 PM
  • Hi Downnine.

Its good to know that you fix the problem.

Any how thank you so much..

Arun
    Arun
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 5:27 AM
  • Troublesome but anyway, got to do with my own way, everything is fine again, but my PC Backup....

Wednesday, June 3, 2009 5:41 AM
  • I have the same issues as above but with Vista SP2. The MS tech was able to get me to a bootable and stable state by following Arun's Manual restore from above. But I am still having some issues (EX. WMP wouldn't run, Can't add attachments in Outlook?, New programs won't install????, Lord knows what else) I am still showing SP1 and SP2 install failed.

I have tried going back to several restore points but they are all unsuccessful due to Unresolved Transactions  Error 0X80071AA7 ??? 

I called MS back but got no where. I got a call back from MS tier 2 suppport and he was able to fix my WMP but not the rest of my issues. I think he gave up after 3 hours and told me I should re-install. He seemed to think that there was an issue with the RPC service ( Remote Procedure Call) soince all of the settings are disabled???? 

Any Ideas?

Thanks

Wednesday, June 3, 2009 6:31 PM
  • Its good to know that you fix the problem.

Any how thank you so much..

Arun
    Arun
    Thank YOU , Arun

Your solution solved my horrifying 0xc01a001d problem. I ran into this problem when trying to install SP2.

After following your steps, Vista got back to the screen where it says "Service Pack did not install. Reverting the changes." It took about 30 minutes and Vista rebooted back to normal. As far as I can say, everything is working just as normal as before.

Great post, great job!

Again, thank you for this.

Yamino

Edit: OK, seems like it's not properly back to normal. When I start the control panel, all I get is a blank window with no icons at all. I can't even change to classic view. At least I can now easily back up all of my data.

Edit II: Funny enough, now it looks like everything's fine. I simply restarted my Computer several times and the Control Panel reappeared. Although it said that SP2 did not install, the Control Panel now shows that SP2 is installed.
    Anyway, looks like Arun's guide solves the problem. Somehow, it does.

• Edited by yamino Friday, June 5, 2009 8:55 PM
    Friday, June 5, 2009 9:07 AM
  • Hi yamino
     Please try the below steps to view control panel icons

1) Launch services.msc from a run command
    2) Find the SLUNotify service & stop it
    3) Find the Software Licensing service & stop it (it may say that ReadyBoost needs that service to run; stop it anyway)
    4) Restart both services, starting with Software Licensing

cool......... and check
    Friday, June 5, 2009 9:30 PM
  • Hi Yamino,

Thank you so much for your time to write me back about the status.

I little worried about this issue now.

If again getting the same issue ( Control Panel) please let me know.

Arun
    Friday, June 5, 2009 11:23 PM
  • Hi Yamino,

Let me know the status

-----------------------------------
    azeez
    Friday, June 5, 2009 11:54 PM
  • Hi Yamino,

Thank you so much for your time to write me back about the status.

I little worried about this issue now.

If again getting the same issue ( Control Panel) please let me know.

Arun

Thank you Azeez_ms, but apparently this step is no longer necessary.

Browsing the web brought up some info about registering some dll's to make the Control Panel work again. So I first tried to re-register the dll's (mshtml.dll, vbscript.dll, jscript.dll) required for Control Panel which didn't work. I received a "DllRegisterServer entry point was not found"-error, but I did not find a solution to solve this problem on the web. So I simply went to services.msc and started some (not running) services containing "server" in the name or description. But it still didn't work. Then I rebooted my pc and voilà, to my surprise the Control Panel was back to normal, running absolutely perfect. I don't know if I did something that brought it back or if it just happened like that. *embarassed*
    Anyway, Windows still showed SP2 installed in the system info, but was still listed as failed in the updates history list. Checking Windows Update didn't bring up the SP2 update again, so I downloaded the stand alone installer from the website and did the SP2 install once more, manually. That went fine and after my PC rebooted from the update, a window said SP2 successfully installed. Still, the history says SP2 failed, but when I look at the installed updates, SP2 is showing up as installed. I can live with that.

As of now, my PC runs really really smooth. Everything that I do now works absolutely without a flaw. I am really happy about that. I really encourage everyone who runs into such a blackscreen with flickering text problem to follow Arun's way and give it a serious try. Maybe followed by Azeez_ms recommendation if necessary (I can't confirm whether it's working or not since I didn't had to do it).

Once more: Great job, Arun!

Thank you guys.

Yamino
    Saturday, June 6, 2009 12:24 AM

• Sorry for the delay.

1.       Boot to computer to advanced boot options press F8.

2.       Select repair your computer.

3.       Select the option command prompt.

Arun
    Sunday, June 7, 2009 6:30 AM
  • Hi, same thing happened to me with computer refusing to start in anyway. managed to find a solution.

If you was never supplied one download a Windows 7 disk, will download as ISO and also download a free ISO burner, (search google for these downloads, easy to find)

anyway once booted with these disks select repair my computer, find the list of repair tools, click command prompt.

type in;

(enter)
    this should now show

Windows\System32\Config:

ren default default.old
    ren sam sam.old
    ren system system.old
    cd regback

this worked for me how-ever I still get an error message everytime I start my computer, working on fixing that now.
    Saturday, July 25, 2009 11:07 AM
  • I was in the same soup.  Here is what worked for me.  I had a healthy Vista pre-SP1 system - when I did a Microsoft Update to Apply SP1.  System would not subsequently boot.  On reboot I had a black screen with white writing, some file scanning was happening, and then the boot process would get stuck with a !! 0xC01a001d !! error message.

The Vista Repair options or System Restore processes did not work, they would simply run forever.

Out of desperation I used a Microsoft Vista Business w/SP1 install DVD.  (The failing system is Vista Home Premium).

I booted from the DVD, and choose REPAIR.  The repair process started running, then I was prompted about whether I wanted to do a System Restore.  I had gotten this far before prior to trying the Vista Business w/SP1 DVD, and the System Restore would run forever and not complete.  However this time, the system restore did complete (!), and then the subsequent reboot worked correctly and booted my Vista Home Premium system.  Hooray.  This is really a weird but true story.

This worked for me too. Had tried all the other suggestions in this thread, but neither System Restore nor Startup Repair would work. Used a "with SP1" installation disk and the restore worked fine. System back as normal!!  (not sure I'll try installing SP1 again though....)
    Sunday, August 9, 2009 12:20 PM
  • SpecialJ: 

Just wanted to let you know that this worked.  Thank You!!!!!

I have spent hours trying to fix this horrible problem and was at my wits end. 

Tuesday, September 15, 2009 2:33 AM
  • I've just tried Arun's fix twice, using different versions of saved files in the Regback folder, and neither of them worked.  System File Checker won't run.  I'm at my wits end, having just about restored everything from a disc crash after many hours.  Is there another approach?  Will a Vista or Windows 7 disk help by rewriting bad system files rather than reinstalling the whole system again?  Where can I download them from?
    Friday, October 2, 2009 3:15 PM
  • This update left my laptop useless. Is a new hard drive the only option? Laptop wont read disks now, tried the other solutions. 
    Wednesday, October 7, 2009 1:44 PM
  • Hi Vante,

Your solution worked for me!!!!!! I had to delete more than one file, and finally i got this Vista SP1 working.. 
    Thanks again!!!!!!!!!

Wednesday, October 14, 2009 11:52 AM
  • When I type in C: its ok
    If I type in just cd it's ok
    As soon as I type in cd windows... it says "the system cannot find the path specified"

is this bad- any other prompts I can used- or ways to get around this??
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 1:38 PM
  • Hi jnapper,

I would try a chkdsk first, like this:

chkdsk c: /r

Good luck!
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 3:17 PM
  • SpecialJ, this worked like a charm. I spent hours and hours on this problem after installing SP2, nothing seemed to work and I was about ready to give up. But in a last ditch attempt I gave your method a try and I'm back in business. Thank you.
    Friday, October 30, 2009 2:53 PM

type in;

(enter)
    this should now show

Windows\System32\Config:

ren default default.old
    ren sam sam.old
    ren system system.old
    cd regback

Here's what I did, at the screen where it shows the list of repair tools, I chose restore, I selected the last point, which was the SP1 install.  Let it do the restore.  Once the repair finished, restart the computer. When booted up I was at the screen where it was installing the Service Pack 1 of 3 at X%.  I turn off the power, then turn it back on again to reboot Vista and I got the screen where it said that the last install failed, revert changes.  Now I'm back, with no problem.  This works for me, hope it helps someone else.
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 4:11 AM
  • For those of you whos computer dies before the F11 prompt screen here is what worked for me:

Press the DEL key during the bios prompt screen until the set-up menu comes up.
    Go to the Boot tab and change your first primary boot set-up to CD rom instead of whatever you have it on at present.
    The disk should boot now.

Hope this helps,
    Jalyn
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 8:59 AM
  •  

Hi,

·         Boot from Vista DVD also try get in to inbuilt WIN RE for OEM computrers

·         Get in to WINRE

·         Open command prompt

·         Enter the following commands to create a Manual System Restore to fix the issue.

C:

Thanks .

Arun.

Saturday, December 19, 2009 10:46 AM

PCTOGO ... I had exactly the same issue [!! 0xC01a001d !] ... followed your idea of trying the Microsoft Vista Business w/SP1 install DVD .. and bingo!

Well done.

I'm guessing not all users will have access to one of these disks .. but it worked a treat for me.

Many thanks!
    Monday, February 22, 2010 3:13 PM
  • Outstanding!!!!  I had the same problem, and the only thing that would fix it is booting from the Vista Business w/SP1 dvd and did a sytem restore.  Thank you, Thank you, Thank you

Friday, May 7, 2010 7:18 PM
  • I'm not sure exactly what's going on anymore, I got half way through...

Found an answer I'm gonna try later...

My problem seems unique so far, however, it is related. My boot screen says it's Windows XP. This seems so far to be a Vista issue. I tried booting from the disc, and it said my choice is Windows 98. I'm scared, what do I do?

Friday, May 14, 2010 4:38 AM
  • Is there a download from micosoft to fix this issue?

I am hoping not having to buy the Vista Business version to fix a problem that an update from microsoft caused.

Saturday, May 22, 2010 8:59 PM
  • I installed SP1 on a Vista Ultimate Machine (laptop). The installation seemed to run correct, but after the first reboot, the system is not starting up, but a black screen woth white text shows a counter running from 1/73065 to 64583/73065 and showing all kind of system files and registry entries. It halts at 64583/73-65, with this error:

!! 0xc0000034 !! 64583/73065 (\Registry\machine\Schema\wcm://Microsoft...)

What is going wrong? I waited for 3 hours, but nothing happens. Restarting shows the same behaviour. Tried to repair, but, though the repair option from the (technet) installation media show a restore point and says that it is restoring files, it seems to hang in finalizing restore (also waited for some hours).

What can I do to resolve this?

Regards,

Stephan

Hello all,

I had the same problem 0xc0000034. Don't wanna boot not safe mode or normal. But i fix the problem whit a windows vista boot disk. Try to download 1. You can boot from that Dvd. If you get a boot don't install ! There is a option to say no and do some repair. If you can do that you can easy take a new date when the pc or notbook whas working. After 1 or 2 reboot's it's done. Windows Vista boot again and you can work again whit you pc or notebook.

Hope it will work for all. For me it worked.

Greetzz Ramonnie

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 10:10 AM