none
Missing ATI Mobility Radeon 7000 IGP driver

Question

• I have a Toshiba Satellite A60-122 laptop (that came with Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 32bit pre-installed) with an ATI Mobility Radeon 7000 IGP graphics card.

I installed Microsoft Windows Vista Business 32bit (English) in this laptop and it correctly and automatically recognized my graphics card and installed a correct "ATI Mobility Radeon 7000 IGP" driver for it, which worked fine.

I recently had to format my hard drive and reinstall this Microsoft Windows Vista Business 32bit (English) and it did not do this anymore: it installed a generic "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter" driver (that does not let me watch full-screen video correctly in Windows Media Player 11, for instance) instead of the correct "ATI Mobility Radeon 7000 IGP" driver (which did let me watch full-screen video correctly in Windows Media Player 11) like it did the first time.

If I try to update the driver, it says I already have the correct driver installed.

How can I fix this?

Thursday, January 10, 2008 10:16 AM

Answers

• Hello Fil,

Thank you for posting!

Based on my research, ATI Mobility Radeon 7000 IGP is not compatible with Windows Vista:

http://ati.amd.com/products/MobilityRadeon7000igp/features.html

The reason why the graphic card can be recognized correctly for the first time should be, Windows Vista might use the driver for Windows XP by default when the upgrading was finished.

For your reference, you may try to use the driver designed for Windows XP via using Update driver software in Device Manager. However, please note that we don’t recommend you to do so, because that may reduce the reliability of the system as the driver is legacy.

For solid solution of this problem, please contact ATI to see if they will release the driver designed for Windows Vista. If not, I recommend you to upgrade the hardware for enjoying Windows Vista.

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Microsoft Online Community Support

Monday, January 14, 2008 3:15 AM
  • First of all, thank you all very much for the help.

I was able to get my problem fixed too, even though not 100% (it would never be 100% anyway, unless I would somehow miracoulasly find a specific Windows Vista driver specifically for this ATI Mobility Radeon 7000 IGP display adapter, either from Microsoft or ATI itself). I tried every solution mentioned here before and my (personal) experience tells me the best and most reliable solution is still what I did: installing the original ATI driver (and only the driver itself, with no optional components like ATI Control Panel, for instance) supplied by your laptop's manufacturer in Windows XP (Service Pack 2) compatibility mode and administrator mode. This is what I, as an experienced computer user, personally recommend anyone having the same problem.

It is not perfect (as no solution for this problem is, until an official ATI or Microsoft driver is eventually released, if it ever is): I cannot put my laptop to sleep or hibernate or any other sleep state for that matter and I ocasionally get BSODs, with a frequency of one per week at most (basically when I push the graphics adapter too much with many open windows and applications running at the same time). Nevertheless, given I do not use the sleep function that much anyway and the BSODs are relatively seldom and easily avoidable (and considering the performance boost I get), it's pretty acceptable for me personally and it allows me to watch full-screen video smoothly, which was what I always wanted afterall.

P. S.: It should be pointed out that: 1) the only game I tested with this driver was Football Manager 2007 (AKA Worldwide Soccer Manager 2007) and it runs fine (so I cannot comment on the performance and reliability of the system with serious 3D games with this driver) and 2) I tried all the other solutions mentioned here with mostly the same outcome, with the only difference being that, to my impression, I would get BSODs more often (and that is mostly what made me try and stick to the solution I desribed here).

Thursday, February 28, 2008 7:23 PM

All replies

• Hello Fil,

Thank you for posting!

Based on my research, ATI Mobility Radeon 7000 IGP is not compatible with Windows Vista:

http://ati.amd.com/products/MobilityRadeon7000igp/features.html

The reason why the graphic card can be recognized correctly for the first time should be, Windows Vista might use the driver for Windows XP by default when the upgrading was finished.

For your reference, you may try to use the driver designed for Windows XP via using Update driver software in Device Manager. However, please note that we don’t recommend you to do so, because that may reduce the reliability of the system as the driver is legacy.

For solid solution of this problem, please contact ATI to see if they will release the driver designed for Windows Vista. If not, I recommend you to upgrade the hardware for enjoying Windows Vista.

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Microsoft Online Community Support

Monday, January 14, 2008 3:15 AM
  • I have the exact same issue with my Toshiba Satellite.
    I've tried all kinds of tricks and downloaded a lot of old drivers, but to no avail. There's simply not a Vista driver available anywhere I've looked. Believe me, I've been very frustrated. It made my laptop very slow, almost to the point of going back to XP.
    After reading your posts, it encouraged me to try once again.
    What I tried this time is uninstalling the standard Windows VGA driver. After the re-boot, it wants to install a new driver. In the driver selection screens you can eventually get to a screen that has a "compatibility" checkbox, which is checked "on" by default. If you un-check this box, you will get the usual list of available device drivers. There is NOT one listed for the Radeon 7000 driver, but there IS one for the "RADEON 7200 Family (Microsoft Corporation - -XDDM)". Choose this driver and see if it cures your problem.
    I decided to try this on the assumption that whatever a 7200 might be, it may be similar enough to the 7000 that it might be backwards compatible. I have no idea if this is really true. But it's working for me.
    Before making the driver change, I started the Microsoft Solitaire program, which complained upon startup that the video driver was inadequate or hardware acceleration was turned off. The program ran but was so slow as to be un-usable. After making the driver change, I ran the solitaire program again. It started up with no error messages, and is fun to play again.
    This worked for me; I hope it works for you.

Saturday, February 02, 2008 5:52 AM
  •  

Thanks Steve. Worked like a charm!

I had tried everything. First, I tried the standard VGA drivers but couldn't play directX games.

I then tried the ATI Radeon Omega Catalyst 6.5 drivers. But they wouldn't install as normal. I managed to run the executable in winXP compatability mode and then manually installed the drivers that were extracted by this utility. I was finally able to play directX games. However, this driver caused all sorts of problems not relating to display. I couldn't put the laptop to sleep, hibernate or even shut it down. It always crashed and rebooted giving me the "start windows as normal" option at startup everytime. There was no way to shutdown the laptop unless I did a hard-reset by keeping the power button pressed.

In the end, I got frustrated and began to look for a solution until I came across this thread. I tried what Steve mentioned, and hey presto... it worked!!!  No problems with games or putting the laptop to sleep, hibernate or shutting it down normally!

Thanks steve.

Edit:

By the way, this worked for Vista Home Basic on Toshiba Satellite Pro A60 (model PSA65E), with an addition of 256Mb RAM (making a total of 512Mb, 64Mb of which is shared with graphics card).

Saturday, February 16, 2008 3:14 AM
  •  

Bad News. Although the 7200 drivers installed properly and seemed to have worked with basic games, I am having major problems with playing Age of Empires II. The game worked fine when I had XP but crashes on Vista at start of game.
    Sunday, February 17, 2008 6:35 AM
  • Good News again!!

I installed AoE2 game in WinXP SP2 compatability mode and it works!!! I don't know why I had to do this because a friend of mine didn't install it in compatability mode on his Vista machine and it worked. I hope I won't have problems with other games in future.

Oh guess what? I removed the 7200 drivers and installed the Omega drivers again and they seem to be working fine now without the sleep/hibernate/shutdown problem. I don't know what fixed it. Although I had tried installing them in compatability mode earlier too when they failed, I think the thing I did different was that I chose to install them with the option "Fast Writes OFF". Now, everything is working fine.

Sunday, February 17, 2008 11:08 PM
  • First of all, thank you all very much for the help.

I was able to get my problem fixed too, even though not 100% (it would never be 100% anyway, unless I would somehow miracoulasly find a specific Windows Vista driver specifically for this ATI Mobility Radeon 7000 IGP display adapter, either from Microsoft or ATI itself). I tried every solution mentioned here before and my (personal) experience tells me the best and most reliable solution is still what I did: installing the original ATI driver (and only the driver itself, with no optional components like ATI Control Panel, for instance) supplied by your laptop's manufacturer in Windows XP (Service Pack 2) compatibility mode and administrator mode. This is what I, as an experienced computer user, personally recommend anyone having the same problem.

It is not perfect (as no solution for this problem is, until an official ATI or Microsoft driver is eventually released, if it ever is): I cannot put my laptop to sleep or hibernate or any other sleep state for that matter and I ocasionally get BSODs, with a frequency of one per week at most (basically when I push the graphics adapter too much with many open windows and applications running at the same time). Nevertheless, given I do not use the sleep function that much anyway and the BSODs are relatively seldom and easily avoidable (and considering the performance boost I get), it's pretty acceptable for me personally and it allows me to watch full-screen video smoothly, which was what I always wanted afterall.

P. S.: It should be pointed out that: 1) the only game I tested with this driver was Football Manager 2007 (AKA Worldwide Soccer Manager 2007) and it runs fine (so I cannot comment on the performance and reliability of the system with serious 3D games with this driver) and 2) I tried all the other solutions mentioned here with mostly the same outcome, with the only difference being that, to my impression, I would get BSODs more often (and that is mostly what made me try and stick to the solution I desribed here).

Thursday, February 28, 2008 7:23 PM
  • If you only want to install the drivers, you don't have to run anything in xp sp2 mode or as admin (assuming you are already in admin account). You can simply uninstall previous drivers, reboot into safe mode (for assurance) and manually install the drivers through device manager. In device manager, find display device, double click to open properties, go to driver tab, click update, don't let windows search for driver but manually locate the driver by going to the "have disk" option. That's what I did and everything is working fine. I was getting a blue screen error with the omega drivers so I reverted back to the drivers that came with laptop.

Saturday, March 01, 2008 3:41 AM
  • Thanks Steve,

I'm Considering trying Vista upgrade and after running the Vista upgrade advisor I had the same issue with Radeon 7000 IGP. Followed your instructions and ran the Advisor again. This time I have no Device Issues.

Nice Work.

Monday, March 31, 2008 8:52 PM
  • please tell me how to install them on vista ultimate coz just after the pc reboots,it automatically installs the same vga driver again and der is no way of stopping it
    Friday, December 05, 2008 3:55 PM