none
Win 7 domain account repeatedly locked out. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I've been running 7100 on a Dell XPS laptop for a few weeks now - loving it.

Yesterday however things took a turn for the worse.

On Sunday I had been logged into the corporate network via our Cisco VPN, no hassles. Once I had come into the office to work I could authenticate and login on my machine using my domain account no problems - but my exhange would lockout my account... but then -

Then it was my instance of IE trying to authenticate to the proxy - that would then lock my account. Anything that needs to authenticate would cause my domain account to lock out.

I can't get any work done at all - yes I know - it's not meant to be for a production machine - but 7 seems so stable!

I have uninstalled nearly _every_ third party piece of software I have, turned off a few superfluous services also (in aid to track down the culprit)...

I can use my account to successfully log in from other machines.

When other users use my machine and login using their account, they too get their account locked. It's something local on my machine that is causing the problem..

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks people :)
    Tuesday, August 4, 2009 6:20 AM

Answers

• If you have any mapped drives, unmap them all.  Also, look under network places for automagically generated links to shares and delete them all as well.  And if you have any network printers installed, uninstall them all as well.  Then try it after you have your admin unlock your account.

I had a similar problem to what you are describing and it had to do with some resource having cached old credentials and repeatedly trying to reuse those old credentials EVEN AFTER I CHANGED MY DOMAIN PASSWORD, causing an account lockout.  You should also work with your administrator and have them monitor the active directory security logs for login failures the next time you connect.  They should at least point you to the resource that is causing the account lockout.
    Tuesday, August 4, 2009 7:15 AM

All replies

• Actually, this post sounds _somewhat_ similar - but it doesn't seem to have been followed through to a solution...

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprosecurity/thread/ac159f92-4c3a-4de4-8412-ecddc33026e9

Looks like I may be up tonight loading up Vista :(

Thanks all!

Brendan
    Tuesday, August 4, 2009 6:24 AM
  • If you have any mapped drives, unmap them all.  Also, look under network places for automagically generated links to shares and delete them all as well.  And if you have any network printers installed, uninstall them all as well.  Then try it after you have your admin unlock your account.

I had a similar problem to what you are describing and it had to do with some resource having cached old credentials and repeatedly trying to reuse those old credentials EVEN AFTER I CHANGED MY DOMAIN PASSWORD, causing an account lockout.  You should also work with your administrator and have them monitor the active directory security logs for login failures the next time you connect.  They should at least point you to the resource that is causing the account lockout.
    Tuesday, August 4, 2009 7:15 AM