none
Upgrade Windows 8 ENT to 8.1 ENT RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Today was relesed update 8.1 for Windows, but this is only for home users. When can we download 8.1 Update for Enterprise systems, that can be distributed by SCCM? Like previwe?

Thursday, October 17, 2013 1:24 PM

Answers

All replies

• BIG Compliments to Microsoft once again. Today I tried to install the update on top of w8 Enterprise. First I had to call in help of our system administrator three times before I was able to get my hands on it and mount it for installation in the first place (how user-friendly, MS, I am in awe....). After that (here comes a bit of stupidity from my side) I only get the option to 'keep nothing'. Since there were no other options available and since I thought it would just be an update like any other, I continue. The installation goes fine. It ends up asking me all kinds of details as if I am installing a new OS or something (Why?). The OS loads and GONE IS EVERTHING I HAD ON MY PC!!! Without any warning!!! I am speachless....

Be careful fellas. Nothing is foolproof at MS.

• Edited by Wouthor Thursday, October 17, 2013 2:11 PM
    Thursday, October 17, 2013 2:08 PM
  • Hi Wouthor,

did you perform clean installation of "Windows 8.1 Enterprise"?

Or did you find "Update from Windows 8 Enterprise to Windows 8.1 Enterprise"? Can you advice the link where to download it from?

Thanks.

Thursday, October 17, 2013 2:53 PM
  • Hello,

Today was relesed update 8.1 for Windows, but this is only for home users. When can we download 8.1 Update for Enterprise systems, that can be distributed by SCCM? Like previwe?

I'm looking for this as well. Where is the guidance for busineness with Windows 8.0 ENT, I only see things focused on consumers with Windows 8.0....
    Thursday, October 17, 2013 3:19 PM
  • @Wouthor:

You are blaming Microsoft for you not understanding the quite simple option of "Keep Nothing"!?

Which part of "Keep Nothing" has you confused, is it "Keep", is it "Nothing" or is their combination?

That someone that can't grasp such a basic concept is using an Enterprise edition with admin rights is the kind of nonsense Microsoft has to waste time on. It's users like this that get in the way of progress.

Whoever gave you the key to upgrading or reinstalling an OS needs to be sacked from their role.

Thursday, October 17, 2013 3:45 PM
  • Rights to Windows 8.1 Enterprise licenses: Windows 8.1 for production use (Pro and Enterprise) will be available through the VLSC on October 18 and for new customers to purchase through Microsoft Volume License Resellers beginning November 1.

Carey Frisch

Thursday, October 17, 2013 4:34 PM
  • Some editions of Windows 8 don’t support the free update to Windows 8.1. These include:

• Windows 8 Enterprise

• Editions of Windows 8 Pro that are installed by enterprises using KMS activation

• Editions of Windows 8 that are installed using an MSDN ISO, and activated using multiple activation keys

If you’re running one of these editions, you can't install the free update to Windows 8.1 or Windows RT 8.1 from the Store.

If you installed Windows 8 using an MSDN ISO, you might be able to install Windows 8.1 using a similar ISO from MSDN.

Otherwise, you might be able to perform a clean install. For more info, see Update to Windows 8.1: FAQ.

Right now we are testing an in place upgrade of Windows 8 Ent to 8.1. It seems to be working, but the iso is required. For SCCM, you cannot deploy as an upgrade it has to be a fresh install

Thursday, October 17, 2013 4:35 PM
  • Hello jonRohrich,

Is it possible to update from Windows 8 Basic Version to Windows 8.1?? I am using Windows 8 basic in my laptop and i want to upgrade it to 8.1 Ent.

Thursday, October 17, 2013 4:57 PM
  • Hello jonRohrich,

Is it possible to update from Windows 8 Basic Version to Windows 8.1?? I am using Windows 8 basic in my laptop and i want to upgrade it to 8.1 Ent.

No.  A "clean install" of Windows 8.1 Enterprise would be required.

Carey Frisch

Thursday, October 17, 2013 5:52 PM
  • Dear Jon,

do you use Windows 8.1 Enterprise full installation media ISO for in place update, or do you have special ISO just for update from Windows 8 Enterprise to Windows 8.1 Enterprise?

Thanks.

Friday, October 18, 2013 7:11 AM
  • Hi,

For Windows 8.1 Enterprise, you can refer to this article:

Windows 8.1 Enterprise RTM Now Available To Volume License Customers

http://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/business/archive/2013/09/17/windows-8-1-enterprise-rtm-now-available-to-volume-license-customers.aspx

Microsoft will soon give out the official method to upgrade Windows 8 enterprise to Windows 8.1 Enterprise.

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,

Kate Li

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Friday, October 18, 2013 9:16 AM
    Owner
  • The iso we used was the Windows 8.1 Enterprise  64 bit full version. It should offer the choice to upgrade or perform a clean install. We performed an in place upgrade using the option to keep files, settings and apps and didn't seem to have any issues as of yet

Friday, October 18, 2013 6:02 PM
  • Dear Jon,

I got Windows 8.1 Enterprise  64 bit full version (SW_DVD5_SA_Win_Ent_8.1_64BIT_Eng_Intl_MLF_X18-96758.ISO) in aim to upgrade my Windows 8 Enterprise (64 bit) to Windows 8.1 Enterprise.

I found out that booting from installation DVD would lead to completely new installation and that upgrade should be done within the running Windows 8 Enterprise. So I ran "setup.exe" from the installation DVD to perform the upgrade.

Unfortunately running the upgrade I got just following to options .... Choose what to keep:

- Keep your personal data

- Nothing

Option to keep APPs was missing!

As I do not want to lose all of my applications, I did not continue L

Monday, October 21, 2013 5:42 PM
  • Running Upgrade Assistant (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=261871I) I found out that 29 of my existing apps and devices are compatible with new Windows 8.1. Unfortunately running the upgrade from installation DVD did not give the option to keep my apps.
    Monday, October 21, 2013 5:50 PM
  • That is odd. I used SW_DVD5_SA_Win_Ent_8.1_64BIT_English_MLF_X18-96759.Iso and got the options I needed.

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=63c9bf981b802977&id=63C9BF981B802977%213294&v=3&sff=1&authkey=!AGxjSnhv1p7LXuo

Monday, October 21, 2013 6:05 PM
  • Your option look mutch better. This is what I got https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=21C8479FF0EA4080!1366&authkey=!ABTT_vWkYec2Clc&v=3

I will check if I can find SW_DVD5_SA_Win_Ent_8.1_64BIT_English_MLF_X18-96759.Iso.

Thanks,

Monday, October 21, 2013 6:27 PM
  • I found "SW_DVD5_SA_Win_Ent_8.1_64BIT_English_MLF_X18-96759.ISO". It is the same media, just different language. I will download it and try to run in place update again. Thanks.
    Monday, October 21, 2013 6:39 PM
  • Success!

"SW_DVD5_SA_Win_Ent_8.1_64BIT_English_MLF_X18-96759.ISO" i.e. English (not the International English) media worked smoothly. Thanks for your support, Jon!

Maros

Monday, October 21, 2013 8:20 PM
  • Where did you download the English International version?  That's the one I need & can't seem to find anywhere.  Thanks.
    Friday, November 8, 2013 9:07 PM