none
Able to restore hyper-v guest from DPM Full Backup? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

May I know is it possible to restore the Guest VM using the fue ll backup?  The corporate I worked in only allows me to rdp to the hyper-v host and manages the guest-vms (such as Exchange 2016, SQL 2016) etc.  I have just added on and setup one DPM 2016 (running as a vm too) and pushed the agents to the respective guest-vms that I am managing.  

May I know beside restoring files, database level, can I restore the VMs as well?  Thank you.  

Thursday, September 19, 2019 9:07 AM

Answers

• DPM makes use of the Windows Server Backup for Bare Metal Recovery / System State backups.

The only way to recover a "full" virtual machine within the guest-level backup is to perform a Bare Metal Recovery / System State backup, this requires you to install the Windows Server Backup feature on the guest virtual machines.

If DPM has access to the Hyper-V host, simply push the agent to the Hyper-V hosts, then you can back up the whole virtual machines by performing host-level backups.

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

• Marked as answer by IT New Guy Friday, September 20, 2019 1:08 AM
    Thursday, September 19, 2019 9:52 AM

All replies

• Hi,

With DPM you have two methods of backing up virtual machines.

1. Host-level backup

Host-level backups are flexible because they work regardless of the type of OS running on the guest machines and don't require the installation of the DPM protection agent on each VM. If you deploy host level back you'll be able to recover an entire virtual machine, or files and folders (item-level recovery).

2. Guest-level backup

Guest-level back up is useful if you want to protect specific workloads running on a virtual machine. At host-level you can recover an entire VM or specific files, but it won't provide recover in the context of a specific application. For example to be able to recover specific SharePoint items from a backed up VM then you should do guest-level backup of that VM. Note that you must use guest-level backup if you want to protect data stored on passthrough disks. Passthrough allow the virtual machine to directly access the storage device and don't store virtual volume data in a VHD file.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you install the DPM agent on the Hyper-V host, you can achieve host-level backups, meaning whole virtual machines.

If you install the DPM agent within the Hyper-V guest virtual machines you will achieve guest-level backups, you can back up files, disks, databases, applications such as SQL Server, Exchange etc...

You can of course backup the virtual machine as Bare Metal Recovery/System State.

You'll find more information about backing up Hyper-V virtual machines over here:

Back up Hyper-V virtual machines
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/system-center/dpm/back-up-hyper-v-virtual-machines?view=sc-dpm-2016

Best regards,
    Leon

Thursday, September 19, 2019 9:16 AM
  • Hi Leon,

Thanks for the information.  I have read the same online but I do not have access to the hyper-v host.  I am more like a 'user'.  I am able to restore VM using copy that I had backup via Windows Server Backup. I thought DPM is the same as Windows Server Backup just that it allows to do scheduling and central management.  

It is really not possible to restore the VM using Guest-level Backup done through DPM?  Thank you.    

• Edited by IT New Guy Thursday, September 19, 2019 9:32 AM
    Thursday, September 19, 2019 9:31 AM
  • DPM makes use of the Windows Server Backup for Bare Metal Recovery / System State backups.

The only way to recover a "full" virtual machine within the guest-level backup is to perform a Bare Metal Recovery / System State backup, this requires you to install the Windows Server Backup feature on the guest virtual machines.

If DPM has access to the Hyper-V host, simply push the agent to the Hyper-V hosts, then you can back up the whole virtual machines by performing host-level backups.

• Marked as answer by IT New Guy Friday, September 20, 2019 1:08 AM
    Thursday, September 19, 2019 9:52 AM
  • Thank you, I will test it out.  Appreciate the help.  
    Friday, September 20, 2019 1:08 AM