none
Windows XP Windows Updates Error Code 0x8024400A

Question

• Hi Guys,

Can you help me i have many computers on windows xp that ive installed from scratch, and most of them are coming up with the error code of 0x8024400A when i go onto windows updates, what caused this issue or does anyone know who to fix this, much appreciated for any responses.

Scott

Tuesday, July 03, 2012 1:00 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Scott,

First, make sure the region, day, month, year, time, time zone are set correctly in Windows XP.  If those are okay, then try:How do I reset Windows Update components?

Try Automatically diagnose and fix common problems with Windows Update

Hope it helpy you.

Thanks & Best Regards,

Mohammed Imtiyaz Ali

Wednesday, July 04, 2012 9:04 AM
  • Hi attempted fix that you provided however still not working here is an image of the screen i still get

Scott

Wednesday, July 04, 2012 1:40 PM
  • I am having the exact same problem....I have loaded Win XP SP2 with 3 different installation discs on 3 different laptops.  I have tried 3 different hard drives.  I have taken the laptops to different places to get online but keep getting the same error as the screenshot.  I cannot do any updates and almost everything I try insists on me already having SP3.  I try downloading and running SP3 by itself, but get errors there too.  This is a recent problem with Windows Update, as I reinstalled my desktop pc about 3 weeks ago and was able to run Windows Update immediately with no problems.
    Sunday, July 08, 2012 1:56 AM
  • Yep. Same thing happening here. Just installed Windows XP twice on the same machine, and as soon as the install is done, I go to update Windows, and I get this error message. I'm hoping it's an issue with Windows Update that can be fixed on Microsoft's end.
    Sunday, July 08, 2012 4:21 PM
  • Hi Guys,

Can you help me i have many computers on windows xp that ive installed from scratch, and most of them are coming up with the error code of 0x8024400A when i go onto windows updates, what caused this issue or does anyone know who to fix this, much appreciated for any responses.

Scott

Hi,

Please check this KB : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836941

Regards,

MCT / MCITP / MCTS / MCSA / C|EH

Sunday, July 08, 2012 5:41 PM
  • Hi everyone I have done some research and found good news =d I found a fix

download this

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=24 

If you want to use Internet explorer 8:

it will ask you to download internet explorer 8 and windows xp update, download the windows xp update first, then internet explorer 8 and then install service pack 3, after these 3 are installed windows update works fine

If not then just download service pack 3 and do windows updates it till eventually update your internet explorer for you
    • Proposed as answer by Abolish Monday, July 09, 2012 5:09 AM
    • Edited by Abolish Wednesday, July 25, 2012 4:28 AM
    Sunday, July 08, 2012 7:37 PM
  • If you follow this link : 

and the link does not shut down your browser, (most likely IE) then click the download button for service pack 3 package. 

the next screen will list a few other updates that are suggested for your machine: (usually IE9, Service Pack 3, XP updates, etc. Also listed is the Microsoft Download Manager Tool. )

Download the microsoft download manager tool. (to download multiple files at once)

After the manager tool installs correctly download these items in order:

1. Update for Windows XP - 615kb 

2. Windows Internet Explorer 8 for windows xp -16.1 mb

3. Windows XP Service Pack 3 for IT professional ....

After the Service Pack 3 is successfully downloaded and installed your Automatic updates should run fine and dandy starting with Genuine validation. So ... manually start the updates with the 615kb XP update and then get yourself an updated browser, then intall service pack 3... Then Eureeka!

Monday, July 09, 2012 8:59 PM
  • I am unable to solve this problem. I am experiencing the same issue as shown in Scott's screen shot. I am able to successfully install the WindowsXP-KB932823-v3-x86-ENU "Update for Windows XP ..." as suggested in step 1 from Dilan PC Destroyer. 

Step number 2 was unsuccessful. IE8-WindowsXP-KB2618444-x86-ENU. I receive an error stating I need to install SP3. 

I then run WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU and receive  "[path to exe]... is not a valid Win32 application.

Windows XP Media Center Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 2

Its an old dell box I was fixing for a neighbor. This situation occurred after a fresh install of XP. I was never promoted to enter the product key during the OS install. 

Any suggestions or observations would be appreciated. 

Thursday, July 12, 2012 8:56 PM
  • I had the same issue last week, had to completely reinstall XP Pro SP2 and after installation could not access the Windows Update site.

Apparently the version of the Windows Update Program provided with XP SP2 does not have access to the Windows Update Service any more.  The other kicker is that if you try and update the Windows Update program from the update site it fails too, the current version of WUP is only available from the update site and is not available as a download and install.  The problem is in order to update WUP with the current version you need a version of WUP that still has access to the WUP site.

Download the 32 or 64 bit version

and install it then visit the Windows update site and get the current version of WUP

just click on the correct version for XP you are running below.

(32 Bit) x86: http://download.windowsupdate.com/windowsupdate/redist/standalone/7.4.7600.226/windowsupdateagent30-x86.exe
    (64 Bit) x64: http://download.windowsupdate.com/windowsupdate/redist/standalone/7.4.7600.226/windowsupdateagent30-x64.exe

good luck.

Monday, July 16, 2012 5:56 PM
  • Thank you c3sam, this solved the WUP problem for me.
    • Edited by buzzworm Friday, July 20, 2012 3:45 PM
    Friday, July 20, 2012 3:44 PM
  • Thank you Abolish just what I needed!
    Sunday, July 22, 2012 2:15 PM
  • Thank you c3sam you and Abolish fixed my problem!
    Sunday, July 22, 2012 2:16 PM
  • Now I am having an issue with wireless setup, I generally like to use windows to manage my wireless networks but it seems I can't get wireless to connect without using a utility in windows xp any ideas?, I have tried repair, I have tried disabling certificate but it doesnt even give you the option to use the certificate when i check the configurations.

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 4:24 AM
  • This did the Trick thank you c3sam, I spent 3 hours looking over technets related to this event but this was sure fire hit... I had two XP machines both resulting in this error. applied the fix and it was working again.
    Thursday, July 26, 2012 12:20 PM
  • I had the same issue last week, had to completely reinstall XP Pro SP2 and after installation could not access the Windows Update site.

Apparently the version of the Windows Update Program provided with XP SP2 does not have access to the Windows Update Service any more.  The other kicker is that if you try and update the Windows Update program from the update site it fails too, the current version of WUP is only available from the update site and is not available as a download and install.  The problem is in order to update WUP with the current version you need a version of WUP that still has access to the WUP site.

and install it then visit the Windows update site and get the current version of WUP

(32 Bit) x86: http://download.windowsupdate.com/windowsupdate/redist/standalone/7.4.7600.226/windowsupdateagent30-x86.exe
    (64 Bit) x64: http://download.windowsupdate.com/windowsupdate/redist/standalone/7.4.7600.226/windowsupdateagent30-x64.exe

good luck.

c3sam

very nice, fix my problem.. ty..

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 8:46 PM
  • Hi Guys,

Scott

Thursday, August 02, 2012 8:21 AM
  • I have the exact same problem.  I have reinstalled xp twice but when I try to use windows update I get the error code.  I've even tried installing java and flash but that didn't work either.  I've tried everything! AHHHHHHH  I'm about to give up.  I'm thinking of just going out and buying a new Windows 7.  Maybe that's what Microsoft is trying to tell us by not letting us update in xp.  Any other ideas on how to fix this?
    Friday, August 03, 2012 12:53 AM
  • I finally found a very simple solution.  You don't need to regedit anything, or install this or that in some strict order or anything.  All I did was search Yahoo for xp service pack 3, found one, then simply installed it.  After I did that windows update worked just fine.  FINALLY!!!
    Saturday, August 04, 2012 12:44 AM
  • I finally found a very simple solution.  You don't need to regedit anything, or install this or that in some strict order or anything.  All I did was search Yahoo for xp service pack 3, found one, then simply installed it.  After I did that windows update worked just fine.  FINALLY!!!
    I posted that solution already? so why would you post the same exact solution? xD and claim that you found it?
    Sunday, August 05, 2012 1:49 PM
  • Thanks 3C, I just had to google the right question & I knew I'd get the right answer from the right person. Worked like a charm..
    Monday, August 06, 2012 7:42 PM
  • Perfect fix! After tried 10 tips from Forums, this nailed down the issue.

Thanksa lot!

Tuesday, August 07, 2012 1:50 PM
  • Just wanted to give my thanks for this answer! Worked perfectly. You saved me a lot of time and frustration. 
    Monday, August 13, 2012 8:21 PM
  • Hey, c3sam...

Thanks for this excellent answer! I had this problem, and struggled with it for a while.

Then I found your solution, and it immediately corrected the Windows Update error!

Thansk again!

Thursday, August 16, 2012 4:31 PM
  • si me funciono esto de la liga http://download.windowsupdate.com/windowsupdate/redist/standalone/7.4.7600.226/windowsupdateagent30-x86.exe

al descargar windowsupdateagent30-x86 y ejecutarlo

gracias

Monday, August 20, 2012 3:46 AM
  • thank you c3sam, 
    Wednesday, August 22, 2012 7:53 PM

good luck.

Cant thank you enough.
    Thursday, August 23, 2012 9:49 PM
  • Thanks I am getting updates i have had the same issue everyone else has had thanks c3sam waiting to see SP3 but so far im getting updates hurry!.
    Tuesday, September 04, 2012 7:21 AM
  • thank you so much
    Tuesday, September 04, 2012 7:58 PM
  • (32 Bit) x86: http://download.windowsupdate.com/windowsupdate/redist/standalone/7.4.7600.226/windowsupdateagent30-x86.exe

I am using windows XP had the same problem and down loaded the above, it corrected the problem.

Thank you very much.

Friday, September 07, 2012 3:51 PM
  • It seem you can’t download sp3 from windows update any more but I downloaded from the download center and installed it manually. You can get more info at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=936929 or download an iso file at

http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=25129

Saturday, September 08, 2012 8:12 AM
  • thanks very much c3sam, works like a charm
    to add insult to injury, this very website is illegible with IE 6 which is shipped with those old XP
    :o)

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 9:09 AM
  • thank you sooo much this really worked!!! recommended!!!
    Saturday, September 22, 2012 2:33 AM

good luck.

I had same error: automatic updates not working, even forcing it with wuauclt commands and it was showing error 0x8024400A if trying to update from windows update page.

I installed what you recommended and after that updates are working from the microsoft site and also with automatic updates.

Thanks a lot!

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 1:53 AM
  • hello

i want to solution

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 10:22 AM
  •  C3sam has the right answer. Glad someone came up with the solution. Installed your download and got right in. Thanks Bro.

• Edited by preston1004 Tuesday, October 02, 2012 9:36 AM
    Tuesday, October 02, 2012 9:35 AM
  • Thanks - This worked beautifully for me today.
    Tuesday, October 09, 2012 8:44 PM
  • THANK YOU!!!!! this worked perfectly to fix my problem!  I was ready to toss out the laptop I was so mad, but this saved me :)

Thanks!

Cindy

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 4:52 PM
  • Thax buddy its works for me
    Saturday, October 13, 2012 9:05 AM
  • hello all new to this Post, anyways hear goe's Microsoft have stop windows update for windowS XP pro home & media, you can only get windoes updates if you have SP3 installed so install SP3 and your ok but a good bet is down load and save a copy as thay may turn the downloads off who knows its all to do with trying to get you to up grade anyways there you go 
    Wednesday, October 17, 2012 1:39 PM
  • worked first time brilliantly thanks a lot!! after I wasted a lot of time searching on the Internet for a solution to

Error Code 0x8024400A, I came across this post downloaded the 32 bit version from the link above installed it, then went to the Microsoft update site where I could download service Pack 3 and all the updates

thank you

• Proposed as answer by Wilmslow Don Monday, October 22, 2012 5:54 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Wilmslow Don Monday, October 22, 2012 6:15 PM
    Monday, October 22, 2012 5:53 PM
  • I used the fix from c3sam,  but now when I run WUP,  most of the updates fail

Nevermind, it works now

• Edited by Clee Irwin Tuesday, October 23, 2012 12:39 PM
    • Proposed as answer by jaeh01 Wednesday, October 24, 2012 5:32 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by jaeh01 Wednesday, October 24, 2012 5:32 AM
    Tuesday, October 23, 2012 12:07 PM
  • Thanks c3sam served me for my xp. One question I have the same problem on my windows 7 starter but the code is 0x8007043c I get, I will also serve to my windows 7.

I hope comments.

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 5:38 AM
  • Here is a SIMPLE solution for those who just re-installed XP SP1 or XP SP2

I received the 0x8024400A error when I tried to use the "Windows Update" link.

The root cause of the problem is XP SP2 does not support "Windows Update" and I had just completed a re-installation of XP Home Edition SP2 on my old Toshiba Laptop. (It also does't support Microsofts "Download Manager" )

What to do to work around the issue? MANUALLY download SP3 for XP! 

All went perfect from then on and everybody lived happily thereafter and enjoyed watching 120 critical updates be downloaded and installed.

Hope this helped a few of yins...

Peace 

Friday, October 26, 2012 2:41 AM
  • This works! thank you so much. Simple when you know how! :)
    Saturday, October 27, 2012 9:04 PM
  • Thank you very much for this!
    Saturday, October 27, 2012 11:29 PM
  • The link provided in your posting fixed the issue instanlly without hesitation on the first attempt.

I did a clean install, tried to update but ran into the issue of not being able to access the updates on the Micosoft site, thanks to your help I was able to FIX the problem.

Thank you for sharing and caring!

ITtutor

• Edited by ITtutor Tuesday, November 27, 2012 1:22 AM
    Tuesday, November 27, 2012 1:05 AM
  • Install Windows Update Agent from following link:

go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=91237

Monday, December 24, 2012 9:55 AM