none
How do I UNINSTALL? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I installed Windows 7 Beta over my existing Vista.

Windows 7 Beta is creating me HUGE problems with Word (2007) so that I cannot use it.

How do I UNINSTALL Windows 7 Beta?

Please help me, soon...

Saturday, January 24, 2009 8:23 PM

Answers

• Downgrade to Windows Vista is not possible, so you have to do a clean installation of Windows Vista.

Microsoft MVP - Group Policy
    Saturday, January 24, 2009 8:56 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Please clarify you installation process. Did you install Windows 7 over Windows Vista by done an upgrade installation? Or just installed Windows 7 to an another partiition?

Saturday, January 24, 2009 8:49 PM
  • Thanks for the prompt reply FlowMan!

I upgraded from Vista.

Saturday, January 24, 2009 8:50 PM
  • Downgrade to Windows Vista is not possible, so you have to do a clean installation of Windows Vista.

Saturday, January 24, 2009 8:56 PM
  • That's bad news FlowMan... Bad news...

Do you have any known issues with Word (2007) on Windows 7?

When I save my document it crashes the software and I cannot even force it to shut down and all I have left to do is reboot.

Saturday, January 24, 2009 9:00 PM
  • Any error messages in your event log?

ps: I'm using Office 2007 SP1 on Windows 7 without any problem at all.

Saturday, January 24, 2009 9:05 PM
  • What's the event log and where do I find it?

When I tried to force-shut Word, I was asked if I wanted to send information and I replied yes. Is that what you mean?

Saturday, January 24, 2009 9:06 PM
  • You can find information about event viewer here. Try to find some error message in the application log regarding Word.

Saturday, January 24, 2009 9:19 PM
  • Will do.

If I may ask you just one more thing: will you try creating a numbered list on Word and then try to save?

This is where Word crashes on me in most cases.

Saturday, January 24, 2009 9:26 PM
  • I just tred the numbered list. Saved with no problem.
    Sunday, January 25, 2009 5:06 PM
  • Thanks!
    Sunday, January 25, 2009 5:08 PM
  • Yesterday I ran into the same problem. Word 2007 crashed during saving the document. I figured out that my antivirus software caused the problem on my system. :)
    Monday, January 26, 2009 10:31 AM
  • No problems with Word 2007 on Windows 7 x64 over here. Machine is dual boot XP/7. Clean install. The whole is fast and reliable. I cannot reproduce your problem. My guess for a tuppence: third party software interfering. Might be antivirus software. Depends on which one you're running. I had some problems with Defender (which I didn't install but is there nonetheless) and Avast.
    Monday, January 26, 2009 10:57 AM
  • Hello again FlowMan!

Well, since we last spoke I was in touch with the local Micorsoft. They took over my PC (using LiveMeeting), went dep into the operating system, identified the problem and asked me to re-install Office 2007. I'm about to do that with them now.

I'll keep you guys posted.

Monday, January 26, 2009 1:22 PM
  • Well, we uninstalled Office 2007 (including cleaning the registry) and re-installed it using the "repair" option.

We also suspected that part of the problem was the fact that I was still using the ".doc" format and not the ".docx" format.

After the re-installation, the problem reoccured using the ".doc" format.

We then moved to using the ".docx" format.

For a while, that seemed to solve the problem of Word crashing - but then it happened again.

It also happened using Excel in the ".xlsx" format.

So we are back on square 1.

I have Symantec Antivirus on my PC. How do I shut it down completely?

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 5:01 PM
  • Norton tends to only allow shut downs for limited periods. I'd uninstall it completely and reboot. Test your Word then and see if it works. If so, then it's with Norton. You could try several free AV packages for now. I use AVG free and Avast is another. You can get them online, but be aware that several fake webpages are out there saying they have AVG Free. Get a copy from either Download.com or Majorgeeks.com. A search for AVG Free will list those pages.
    Tuesday, January 27, 2009 5:17 PM
  • Thanks Cecil!

I will uninstall Symantec AV.

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 5:18 PM
  •  Let us know how it did. Also, don't install any other AV until you test Word again. That way you can narrow it down one piece at a time...   good hunting :)
    Tuesday, January 27, 2009 5:55 PM
  • Dear Cecil,

I REALLY don't want to jinx it, but since I uninstalled Symantec AV - Office seems to work well.

As I have no AV installed now, do you think I should install Norton 360 Version 3.0 Beta?

I have already downloaded it.

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 9:26 PM
  • Stay away from Norton. Too many people have issues with it. Wanna try something? Try Avast Free edition. Runs well, and (as far as I know) no known issues.
    Wednesday, January 28, 2009 9:10 AM
  • Thanks Zeus76!

In this case I haven't too many options as the PC I'm using belongs to the place I work at...

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 9:12 AM
  • I guess nobody will blame you for installing a antivirus. The major problem with Norton is that it is too intrusive, and takes decisions for you (it doesn't care whether you agree or not). There are really people around who are happy with it, but I'm definitely not. As a matter of fact (as far as I am concerned) the last good Norton program was Norton Commander, and that goes back to the DOS days. ;-)

If the place you're working at allows you to do beta testing with 7, they'll let you try antivirus software accordingly.

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 9:20 AM
  • They did not allow me... I took the liberty and they didn't object, but said, understandably, they they will not be able to support me.
    Wednesday, January 28, 2009 9:22 AM
  • Then... just go on. Just don't stay without a antivirus program.
    Wednesday, January 28, 2009 9:25 AM
  • Zeus76 said:

I guess nobody will blame you for installing a antivirus. The major problem with Norton is that it is too intrusive, and takes decisions for you (it doesn't care whether you agree or not). There are really people around who are happy with it, but I'm definitely not. As a matter of fact (as far as I am concerned) the last good Norton program was Norton Commander, and that goes back to the DOS days. ;-)

If the place you're working at allows you to do beta testing with 7, they'll let you try antivirus software accordingly.

Norton = Epic FAIL... Out of all of the computers I've had to fix (due to viral intrusion) in the past 2 years, 99% of them had Norton of some flavor. Symantec AV comes in a very close second. Anything is better than NAV...
    Wednesday, January 28, 2009 1:44 PM
  • k_knock said:

Dear Cecil,

I REALLY don't want to jinx it, but since I uninstalled Symantec AV - Office seems to work well.

As I have no AV installed now, do you think I should install Norton 360 Version 3.0 Beta?

I have already downloaded it.

Norton's usefulness died with Windows 95 and McAfee is no better. Since then both companies produce software that sucks more resources and is more intrusive than most of the spyware you might get without them.

Stick with the free alternatives.

Take a look at this thread for info on what works best with Windows 7.  http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itprosecurity/thread/e98be031-8abf-4e8d-9206-74a8034ec65d

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 2:50 PM
  • I recommend almost any antivirus besides Norton 360. I use Eset NOD32.

http://www.eset.com/products/nod32.php

Kerry Brown MS-MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
    Wednesday, January 28, 2009 2:58 PM
  •  Try one of the free versions I listed. I have been using AVG Free 8 for some time now and once you go into it's settings and configure it to work the way you like, it's pretty much hands off.

AVG Free Link
    Wednesday, January 28, 2009 5:24 PM
  • Thanks!

I just installed the AVG AV recommended by MSFT here.

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 5:28 PM
  • As you have 'upgraded' from Vista to Windows 7 there is no way to 'downgrade'. Your only option is to reformat the hard drive and reinstall Windows Vista.

I use Office 2007 and i'm not experiencing any problems with Word 2007 and Windows 7. Are there any error messages?

John Barnett - Windows XP Associate Expert; Windows Desktop Experience. - Web: http://www.winuser.co.uk; Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org; Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org
    Wednesday, January 28, 2009 6:25 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi John,

We traced the problem to conflicts with Symantec Anti-Virus.

Once I uninstalled it, Office stopped crashing.

But - I installed a trail version of AVG that was recommended in the MSFT blog, and it caused Outlook to stop connecting with the Exchange server...

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 6:28 PM
  • Hi Cecil,

Re: my previous posting (We traced the problem to conflicts with Symantec Anti-Virus. Once I uninstalled it, Office stopped crashing. But - I installed a trail version of AVG that was recommended in the MSFT blog, and it caused Outlook to stop connecting with the Exchange server...) -

I uninstalled AVG and it crashed my PC (blue screen... yes, blue screen...) - twice!

Sure enough, the programme still appears on my "Programs and Features" section in the control panel.

Outlook now works fine, but each time I turn it on it says something about a part of AVG that's missing...

Man... this is getting too much to handle...

(Ah - and my PC is a brand new HP dx2400...)

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 7:07 PM
  • Avast is fine. No problems with exchange, outlook or internet
    Wednesday, January 28, 2009 7:58 PM
  • Thanks Zeus!

I tried to uninstall again. It succeded - but when the PC was rebooted, it did not recognize the network adapter...

So I did a system restore. It fixed the connection problem. apparently...

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 8:02 PM
  • Symantic is awful. I,ve been running a subscribed version of AVG for three years on XP and then Vista. I installed AVG Free on my Win 7 install  and it works fine. Someone else said it, Symantic has been a mess since Win 98 went away. Every machine I have even been around with Norton stuff installed has had issues.
    Wednesday, January 28, 2009 8:08 PM