none
Windows 7 64 bit seeing only 2.87 of 4gb memory RRS feed

• Question

• hi,

my windows 7 64 bit system is only seeing 2.87gb of the 4gb installed memory. checking the Resource Monitor, it says 1153gb has been allocated to Hardware Reserved. any idea how i can use all the memory? i have already tried unchecking Maximum memory under msconfig/boot/advanced options without success. below is my system properties. i have flashed my system with the latest bios.

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
    Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600
    Other OS Description Not Available
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name SOLO-PC
    System Manufacturer System Manufacturer
    System Model IL9 Pro
    System Type x64-based PC
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 080012, 9/17/2007
    SMBIOS Version 2.3
    Windows Directory C:\Windows
    System Directory C:\Windows\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
    Locale United States
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7600.16385"
    User Name solo-PC\solo
    Time Zone Pacific Standard Time
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
    Total Physical Memory 2.87 GB
    Available Physical Memory 1.83 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 4.87 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 3.66 GB
    Page Space 2.00 GB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 8:10 AM

Answers

• Hi vle87:

I think your memory resources are normal.  Windows reserves various amounts of memory for many things but releases the memory on a priority basis as needed.  To see where your memory is reserved and being used,  open Task manager from the task bar, click on the performance tab,  then click resource monitor, then click the memory tab and you can view how your memory is being used.
       I have 4 GBs also and system information shows 4.00 GB  installed, 3.93 GB Total Physical,  1.88 Available Physical Memory, 7.86 Total Virtual Memory,  4.54 GB Available Virtual Memory and 3.93 GB Page File Space.  My video card has 512 MB onboard RAM.  You could type system info in the start menu search bar and see what yours reads to compare.  Different hardware on PCs can result in many different descriptions of memory availability.
    • Marked as answer by Andy Song Monday, December 21, 2009 10:16 AM
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 1:36 AM

All replies

• sorry, let me rephrase... only 2.87gb is useable.
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 8:20 AM
  • Just a thought, is your ram same make and model as well as capacity and size? And is there any graphic card on the rig itself? If is using onboard graphic then some of the memory of the ram would be share. The other factor could be some of the ram or chip are bad.

You could infact run memory diagnostic or memtest to ensure the problem is not lying with the ram
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 9:31 AM
    Answerer
  • there's no onboard video, im using a geforce 8600gts with 256mb of memory, so it shouldnt account for the 1153mb which is reserved.
    all 4 dimms are same model. ill try to run a memory diag. but its kinda strange that the bios sees it fine, windows see its fine but it just allocates it somewhere else.
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 9:44 AM
  • Be sure the firmware for your Bios supports the 4 gig
    I have an IBM T60 with 4 gig installed.
    Win 7 and Win2008 Server both report 3 gig useable 4 gig total (yes i do mean 64 bit versions of both)
    It took me a copple of days pokeing around before I actually spotted the small print on the Lenovo website that said the OS would address 3 gig !

Wednesday, December 9, 2009 3:39 PM
  • Hi vle87:

I think your memory resources are normal.  Windows reserves various amounts of memory for many things but releases the memory on a priority basis as needed.  To see where your memory is reserved and being used,  open Task manager from the task bar, click on the performance tab,  then click resource monitor, then click the memory tab and you can view how your memory is being used.
       I have 4 GBs also and system information shows 4.00 GB  installed, 3.93 GB Total Physical,  1.88 Available Physical Memory, 7.86 Total Virtual Memory,  4.54 GB Available Virtual Memory and 3.93 GB Page File Space.  My video card has 512 MB onboard RAM.  You could type system info in the start menu search bar and see what yours reads to compare.  Different hardware on PCs can result in many different descriptions of memory availability.
    • Marked as answer by Andy Song Monday, December 21, 2009 10:16 AM
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 1:36 AM