none
KMS on Virtual Machine

Question

• Hello.  I posted this in another group, but was told to move it here.

I am trying to set up a KMS server, but I am getting an error message stating that it won’t install because I am running the server on a Virtual Machine.  Is there a workaround for this?

Almost all of our servers are virtual servers, and I don’t want to have to purchase a physical server just to run KMS.

Thursday, February 22, 2007 10:03 PM

All replies

• Yes...the workaround should be that Microsoft should take this validation procedure and re-vamp it.  I'm all for keeping legal software legal, but it shouldn't be a pain in the rear to validate your install!!!  Any news on this changing???
    Thursday, February 22, 2007 10:07 PM
  • I am successfully running our KMS on a Virtual Machine joined to our domain.  The virtual machine is running Windows Vista Enterprise however, not a server o/s. We have only 60 clients using the KMS at present as it's early days for us here. 

I following the instructions in the Volume Activation 2.0 Step-By-Step Guide.  It was very simple to set-up unlike everything else to do with Vista deployment.  (Is it just me or is there a complete lack of good docs;  I'm sure there must be a repository hiding somewhere!?)

At the point at which I set up the KMS (end of Jan 2007) there was no choice about running it on Server 2003 - it was either Vista or Longhorn Server.

Have a look at the documentation at http://www.microsoft.com/technet/windowsvista/plan/volact.mspx (I notice there's a v3.0 now too).

Thursday, March 01, 2007 5:20 PM
  • Thanks for the input.  The KMS program for 2003 Server is different than the Vista version, so that may be the difference.   The server was very easy to set up, but it is running on a physical machine now.  I chose to install KMS on 2003 Server because Longhorn is still Beta and I will not put Beta products into production.  Vista would have worked, but it is not a server operating system, and I don’t feel right using it as such since we will be using this KMS server to serve several thousand PCs.

Tuesday, March 06, 2007 2:05 PM