none
Windows Vista warning about license expiration

Question

•  

Bear with me folks as I am a first timer.  I purchased a HP Pavilion (Vista) from Newegg in Feb 2008.  Plugged it in and most things went smoothly.  About a week ago I received a warning that my Windows license would be expiring in 14 days and to back up my files and install a new version of Vista.  I did the usual round of calls first to Microsoft and they sent me to HP and then HP sent me back to a different Microsoft #.  The last call walked me through some process where I registered my Vista key.  I thought my problems were solved.

Then this morning I received the same warning and now I am down to seven days.  Can anybody tell me whats happening and how I can avoid having to back up my data (not sure how it works in Vista) and especially avoid installing anything new?

I also have the evaluation copy notice above the calendar but that wouldn't bother me as long as I can continue to use my computer without all this potential maintenence and pending license expiration issues.

Thank You.

Jim

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 12:33 PM

Answers

• It sounds like in both of these cases, someone installed the Release Candidate test version of SP1.  You will need to uninstall it right away.  If you believe the system was delivered from the store with SP1 installed, you should contact your store.

Some more information can be found here:

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3484934&SiteID=17

If SP1 was installed as an update, you will see the date it was installed in the Programs and Features control panel.

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 5:22 PM

All replies

• I got the same thing, however it is my friends laptop and he dont know why the watermark is on the screen. any ideas?

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 8:53 AM
  • It sounds like in both of these cases, someone installed the Release Candidate test version of SP1.  You will need to uninstall it right away.  If you believe the system was delivered from the store with SP1 installed, you should contact your store.

Some more information can be found here:

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3484934&SiteID=17

If SP1 was installed as an update, you will see the date it was installed in the Programs and Features control panel.

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 5:22 PM