none
Windows 7 Ultimate Blue Screen of Death (BSOD)

Question

• Hello,

I have Windows 7 Ultimate and very recently I have started experiencing this BSOD with an automatic restart.

I took a photo of the BSOD but I'm not sure how to attach it to this post. I even downloaded that Nirsoft BlueScreenView program but it doesn't show up on there. Should I change some setting?

The message says:

STOP: 0x0000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF80002AC32C2, 0xFFFFFFFFFF880009A9230)

I ran the CheckDisk program and there were no errors. I ran MemTest86 (2 passes) and there were no errors with the memory. I have an NVidia GTX-295 that I downloaded drivers for and it was working fine until a couple of days ago.

I did however install my old ATi Radeon X1900XTX along with the other card and downloaded the drivers for that. It worked fine for a couple of days and then it crashed (BSOD) a couple of times. I have 2 monitors so I removed the ATi card (pulled it out) and deleted every single file related to ATi in the Program Files folder (forgot to "uninstall" the drivers before physically pulling out the card). Connected both monitors to my NVidia GPU and things were back to normal. A few days later, I got the BSOD while playing Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (through Steam) and then it started happening when I was just surfing the Internet. Now it happens more often and it is extremely frustrating.

I spent several thousand dollars on a BRAND NEW custom SYSTEM BUILD and I am now faced with this BSOD problem.

PLEASE HELP ME!!

I have an ASUS P6T7 WS Supercomputer Mobo and the release version of the BIOS; have not updated it because I was told I could ruin the whole computer if I screwed something up.

Have 2 SLC SSDs (G-Skill) for my OS drive in RAID-0. This is where Windows 7 Ultimate is installed.

My mouse driver (Logitech MX20 Laser cordless) is from 2006 but I am unable to update it even through the Logitech website. Not sure why.

Every other driver is up to date (or it says 'best version currently installed').

PLEASE HELP!!

Thanks in advance.

Sunday, December 06, 2009 5:29 AM

Answers

• Hello Suzerain,

First of all, upgrade BIOS to the latest version, remove all unnecessary hardware devices from the computer and try entering Windows safe mode to test whether it is a third-party software/hardware compatibility issue. If so, please download and run Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to check the reason for the issue. If the issue is caused by some incompatible driver, you might go to Device Manager, right click your hardware device in the list and select Update Driver Software; then click Search automatically for updated driver software.

If you still get the BSOD error after installing the latest driver, please understand that Windows system uses separated user mode and kernel mode memory space, stop errors are always caused by kernel portion components, such as a hardware device, third-party drivers, backup software or anti-virus services (buggy services).

The system goes to a blue screen because there is some exceptions happened in the kernel (either the device driver errors or the service errors), and Windows implements this mechanism: When it detects some errors occur in the kernel, it will kill the box in case some more severe damage happens. Then we get a blue screen or the system reboots (it depends on what the system settings are).

To troubleshoot this kind of kernel crash issue, we need to debug the crashed system dump. Unfortunately, debugging is beyond what we can do in the forum. A suggestion would be to contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support (CSS) via telephone so that a dedicated Support Professional can assist with your request. Please be advised that contacting phone support will be a charged call.

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

If you are outside the US please see http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

I hope the problem will be resolved soon. Thanks!

Andy

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Monday, December 14, 2009 10:24 AM
    Monday, December 07, 2009 3:21 AM

All replies

• Hello Suzerain,

First of all, upgrade BIOS to the latest version, remove all unnecessary hardware devices from the computer and try entering Windows safe mode to test whether it is a third-party software/hardware compatibility issue. If so, please download and run Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to check the reason for the issue. If the issue is caused by some incompatible driver, you might go to Device Manager, right click your hardware device in the list and select Update Driver Software; then click Search automatically for updated driver software.

If you still get the BSOD error after installing the latest driver, please understand that Windows system uses separated user mode and kernel mode memory space, stop errors are always caused by kernel portion components, such as a hardware device, third-party drivers, backup software or anti-virus services (buggy services).

The system goes to a blue screen because there is some exceptions happened in the kernel (either the device driver errors or the service errors), and Windows implements this mechanism: When it detects some errors occur in the kernel, it will kill the box in case some more severe damage happens. Then we get a blue screen or the system reboots (it depends on what the system settings are).

To troubleshoot this kind of kernel crash issue, we need to debug the crashed system dump. Unfortunately, debugging is beyond what we can do in the forum. A suggestion would be to contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support (CSS) via telephone so that a dedicated Support Professional can assist with your request. Please be advised that contacting phone support will be a charged call.

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

If you are outside the US please see http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

I hope the problem will be resolved soon. Thanks!

Andy

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Monday, December 14, 2009 10:24 AM
    Monday, December 07, 2009 3:21 AM
  • iv had the as thing try all the uniblue its been four days nar and it has not crashed
    Sunday, January 03, 2010 3:22 PM
  • I have the same problem.  Updated all drivers.  Running Win 7 Ultimate.  Steam always crashes in BSOD.  Not sure if it is Steam or MS.  Either way somebody is going to lose my $ contribution to their profits.  Nobody has an interest in fixing the problem.
    Friday, January 22, 2010 3:36 AM
  • You can try the following method

Saving a memory dump

To resolve system crashes through the inspection of memory dumps, set your servers and PCs to automatically save them with these steps:

1. Right-click on My Computer
    2. Select Properties
    3. Select Advanced
    4. In the Start up and Recovery section, select Settings; this displays the Startup and Recovery dialog box
    5. In the Write debugging information section, select kernel memory dump

While still in the Start up and Recovery dialog box, ensure that the following options are checked in the System failure section:

• Write an event to the system log
    • Send an administrative alert
    • Automatically restart

In the Write debugging information, you have the option to save only the most recent dump file or to have the system rename the existing dump file before it creates a new one. We prefer saving the dump files because previous dump files may provide additional or different information - however, space can be an issue, so set this option according to your needs.

The Write debugging information section also tells you where the dump file will be created. On XP and 2003 systems, mini dumps are located at %SystemRoot%\Minidump, or c:\Windows\Minidump; kernel and full dumps are located at %SystemRoot%\MEMORY.DMP or c:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. For Windows 2000, memory dump files are located at c:\winnt\memory.dmp.

Here's the debug tool for download if it doesn't support win 7, you might wanna run it under xp or vista compatible mode and next run as adminstrator

Friday, January 22, 2010 9:05 AM
    Answerer
  • Just install this hotfix: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/979444, don't waste your time googling elsewhere.
    I need a forum moderator to create a sticky thread of this. Everybody getting BSOD from nowhere and don't khow how to solve this, and end up moving back to Windows Vista or XP.
    MCTS: Windows 7 - Configuring MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician 7
    • Proposed as answer by No46_TheDoctor Sunday, March 07, 2010 11:16 AM
    Sunday, February 21, 2010 8:43 PM
  • Nice one Mr Sato, worked for me.

My PC would work fine, for as long as I was using it, even pushing it hard editing HD video, all was fine, but when it idled for a while thats when the trouble started.

My one question though, why are these Hotfixes so hard for Joe Average to find ???????

I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out what was causing this, I originally thought it was something my Motherboard or i5 processor was doing with the Turbo feature !

Anyhow, thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
    Sunday, March 07, 2010 11:16 AM
  • After pokeing aroun Windows 7 I found a thing called the "Reliability Monitor", it seem that Windows knew all along that my GPU was causing the problem but decided not to tell me !!

Basically I have a list of 18 Critical events where the "A problem with your video hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly." is the cause.

But why didn't Windows tell me this instead of hiding it away ?????????????
    Sunday, March 07, 2010 10:34 PM
  • It's system file corruption & this'll solve it

You'll need no special software , I'll prove it , using a default windows utility I  finally Solved ,  Resolved , & amazingly.. Fixed my windows 7 (64 bit) BSOD blue screen of death issue of a specific phenomenon of the particularly RANDOM system file corruptions ~ i.e. (the ones all over the map)

& if you think I'm any different read on, because like you I had : diagnosed all my hardware components, clean installed all my (updated) drivers, clean installed a new operating system, updated from windows update  (desperately I even tried the (bogus) claims of a registry cleaner or so (FAIL!).

Frustration, denial, anger, grief, & finally acceptance/surrender all the same stages of death. From arghh to *sighh. lol

The causes were; but were not limited to : dxgmms1.sys , ntoskrnl.exe  , nvlddmkm.sys , ETC. ETC. I had dump logs reporting 'em all, ..chronically for about a month.

Well all of those corrupted contributors ARE I'm delighted to say, healthy again!

It's so simple : All that needs to be done is 1st open up the command window.
    (you'll be initiating microsofts System File Checker)

2. Then type in: sfc /scannow

3. press enter

4. that's all. It will find all currupt system files &  replace them with healthy ones. Even if some can't be fixed (like in my case) It should find/replace all the fatal ones.

Also there is a followup command that can show you what exactly couldn't be fixed, I didn't need it & sry I don't know it but it's easy enough to find on the MS forums. Believe me, I'd been ripping my fingernails out rooting out this issue, I'm so relieved. Hope it helps. I should note that all my hardware is diagnosed healthy & configured properly, yours should be too for this to work. Godspeed!

MY SPECS:

ASUS m4a785-M board

EVGA Nvidia 9800 GTX+ Vcard

Kingston HyperX DDR2 1066 4gb dual chan.

AMD AthlonII 2X 240 regor

An assortment 'o Seagate HDD's
    sata 16~32 buffers 7200~5900 rpms

Monday, April 05, 2010 1:49 AM
  • hi ive had a kernal page error am 14 so idk whats up it just pops up randomly and i just got this laptop as a present so i don 't know whats up any help
    • Proposed as answer by Kiap Friday, July 23, 2010 9:41 AM
    Friday, May 28, 2010 6:52 PM
  • Hi "The newuniversal"

" Blue Screen etc. "

Thanks for your tip..... had the same probs and was going to format my HD and re-install Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit but your advice saved me from doing so.

Here the whole procedures and yes, you need to be connected to the NET:

In Windows 7

Click on: Start - Click on: All Progarams - Click on: Accessories -  Right click on: Command Promt - Click on: Run as Administrator:

Note: Black screen with the command prompt appears.

type: sfc/scannow    then press: Enter   

Will take a while - after finished it will restart the machine autom. and all should be fine again.

Thanks so much

regards

Luth

PS: It happened when I installed an external Fax Modem - it was not compatible but I went along anyway. Won`t do it again.

Friday, July 23, 2010 9:40 AM
  • SOLUTION I FOUND IS: Uninstalled my anti-virus software (AVG 2011). Installed WSE (Windows security Essentials). Internet Explorer now works fine & most importantly no more BSOD's.

I followed this up & have found that indeed vendor anti-viruses may cause this problem on win 7. It does not affect everyone - some sort of config/hardware or something fluke. But if you are sure your hardware is working fine then try my solution. It's free & has fixed numerous problems I have had with both my Desktop & Notebook running win 7.

Deek
    • Proposed as answer by McZigger Wednesday, October 13, 2010 12:46 PM
    Wednesday, October 13, 2010 12:46 PM
  • Uninstalling AVG 2011 has also stopped my BSOD.
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 9:43 PM
  • AMD 64 bit / Gigabyte / 8GO ram ( 4 *2Go)

Fixed my issue if that can help anyone. Had my win server 2008 crashing all the time, blue screen, Memory Management error and all different type of win error randomly. Thought it was the disk  so tried to swap disk with fresh install of win 7 pro (ultimate) and got the same issue. So since the problem was very random, was al most impossibe to track. First I had problem reinstalling on a fresh Win7 as it kept rebooting, was a geforce driver issue so changed video card, boot in low resolution (F8/F12 depending on systems) and got in. Then installed driver and all was fined.

But then blue screen again etc... . After checking my ram etc and all different test, everything seemed ok but still crashing after 5 min.

Finally removed 2 memory module which left me with 4Go but it never failed again   so although the test (memtest and other) shown all ok it wasn't so I just need to replace them.

Just try removing memory until it stops failing. 

Monday, November 29, 2010 5:17 AM
  • This happened to me, too. it happened when i tried to launch portal from steam, anyways, What i did was i Went into safe mode, then i went to control panel, the restore. Run system restore, and select which one you want to restore it before that. 

Example: if you want your computer how it was before steam, select installed steam and then ok. the recovery will happen, and your computer should be normal.

~123123sora

Friday, December 17, 2010 6:49 PM
  • How do I get into Windows if immediatly upon starting I get BSOD???  Is there a fix because Safe Mode does not work either, I have ran every diagnostic in my system startup menu and all are fine and Windows 7 will start but just when I think everything is fine I get BSOD.....I have added nothing, did no upload anything, just doing some web surfing because it is a snow day.

Need a solution that can be done from my systems startup menu.

Monday, January 10, 2011 11:25 PM
  • Hi there,

How do you connect to .NET? Pls help me, this blue screen error has been driving me crazy :( thank you !!

Saturday, January 29, 2011 3:39 AM
  • May I ask you if you are using wireless adapter for connecting to internet and does it cause any problems for you? Here's my situation, I reinstall my OS back to factory setting, it seems working fine, but as soon as I try to plug the wireless adapter in and within 5 mins my monitor showed blue screen error  again :( So, do you think is the adapter or something else?

Btw, i ran the sfc/scannow and it said "windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations" is that mean there is nothin wrong with my pc? but then, why i still see blue screen :(

Pls help and you know those frustration feelin is jst horrible to live with :(

thank you !! and great appreciated it !!

Saturday, January 29, 2011 3:59 AM
  • I had the same problem after I got a virus with a different screen every time.. here's the steps I took.

Boot in command prompt then used the windows diskpart utility to decrease my partition size so that I can install another copy of windows 7 on the new partition. http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/2672-partition-volume-shrink.html

after installation I ran malewarebytes and AVG antivirus to locate the maleware and viruses on the damaged drive. then reboot and walla! its up and working

hope that helps

Thursday, February 03, 2011 6:46 AM
  • I'm 30+ years old.  I've had experience with windows from their 2.X version.  They crash and they crash...still I continue to buy their DAMN products.  If someone can help with the below crash, I'd appreciate it because Microsoft wants to charge me for the barely 4 month old computer to fix THEIR problem:

This Product ID indicates that there will be a charge for this Microsoft support.
    The product ID indicates that this product may be supported by your computer manufacturer. Contact your computer manufacturer for support or select a different support option below

Here it is:

Problem signature:
      Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
      OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
      Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
      BCCode: 9f
      BCP1: 0000000000000003
      BCP2: FFFFFA8004B6D060
      BCP3: FFFFF80004A30518
      BCP4: FFFFFA8007E7C180
      OS Version: 6_1_7601
      Service Pack: 1_0
      Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
      C:\Windows\Minidump\030111-16894-01.dmp
      C:\Users\AmbuThammu\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-81198-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online:

Wednesday, March 02, 2011 2:58 AM
  • Bug Check 0x9F: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE

This bug check indicates that the driver is in an inconsistent or invalid power state.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff559329%28v=VS.85%29.aspx

To see the cause I have to take a look at the dumps with the Debugging Tools for Windows.

Please start the Windows Explorer and go to the folder C:\Windows\Minidump. Next, copy the dmp files to your desktop, zip all dmp into 1 zip file and upload the zip file to your public Skydrive [1] folder and post a link here.

André

[1] http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Wednesday, March 02, 2011 11:51 AM
  • Andy,

Recently I have installed Avg Antivirus and for some reason every time I try to play call of duty modern warfare or black ops I always get BSOD. 

Does it have something to do with my anti virus or do i need to update my drivers?

PLEASE HEEELLLPP('cause frankly, it gets annoying when I get a killstreak and then my pc ends up crashing)!!!!!!!!!!!

Thursday, October 27, 2011 12:04 PM
  • Well what if the only thing that happens is the computer keeps asking to restore make a boot disk download such and such app but all im getting is System Recovery Options and MS DOS only what then? Brainiacs

]

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 1:23 PM
  • Hi Suzerain, I had the same problem before. It may happen due to few reasons. Mostly because registry errors. Check this out: How to Fix Windows 7 Blue Screen of Death Error Easily & Speed Up your Computer in Just 2 Minutes

Hope it helps.

• Proposed as answer by Madu Herath Monday, March 12, 2012 7:57 AM
    Monday, March 12, 2012 7:55 AM
  • Thanks Andy, updating my monitor's driver to one that is compatible with analog stopped the BSODs.  For the record, my monitor is an Acer S242HL.
    Thursday, March 22, 2012 9:42 AM