none
DWMHINTDXUPDATE error message

Question

• After performing Win 7 upgrade from retail DvD on HP DV5t-1000 laptop, I get past login screen and then screen goes background blue with just mouse pointer. Stays there forever.
     Error message box - explorer.exe entry point not found - The procedure entry point DWMHINTDXUPDATE could not be fund in the dynamic link library user32.dll.
    I can get task manager up but can't figure out how to get past this. Any insight appreciated.
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 2:38 PM

All replies

• I'm seeing the same problem.  I upgraded (fresh install) Windows XP to Windows Home Premium on my Dell XPS M1210.  It was running great for the last day and now all of a sudden I'm seeing the same problem.  I can't even get into safemode to try to trouble shoot the problem.  Any help would be appreciated as well.
    Saturday, November 07, 2009 1:00 PM
  • The exact message I'm seeing in the "explorer.exe - Entry Point Not found" dialogue box is:

"The procedure entry point DwmHintDxUpdate could not be located in the dynamic link library USER.dll."
    Saturday, November 07, 2009 1:18 PM
  • That is exactly what was getting. Amazing little to be found on that error message. What little I found was not really relevant to my situation.

Well I don't think this will help you but here's how it turned out for me. I was coming from Vista hoping to avoid a clean install but could never fix the problem I described earlier. A lot of threads I read  seemed to point to a corrupt service pack 2 (Vista) update file hanging around but no answers. I ended up doing a clean install, letting it wipe out all my old data and everything seems fine after reloading all the other software and data from backups. 
    Best of luck. The Microsoft upgrades and updates are always an sad adventure. Wish I could be more help.
    Saturday, November 07, 2009 5:06 PM
  • Same thing, except my error message refers to userinit.exe rather than explorer.exe. I get the DwmHintDxUpdate error after password screen, then a blank blue screen. I upgraded from Vista to Win 7 Home Premium on a Gateway T-1625. Had been working great, then this problem came out of nowhere. Any help would be appreciated.
    Sunday, November 29, 2009 9:58 AM
  • This problem occurs because you chose to install Win 7 Upprade Pro /  Ultimate on a second HD partition and now want to reverse the boot drive letter from D to C posibily hacking the registry using regedit and found MountedDevices and deleted the keys like some forums recommend "or" you used Ghost to image the 2nd partition (Win7) to a 3nd HD first partition. Win 7 gets really pissed. Why?

1) You already installed Norton, Office, etc, IE plugins like adobe flash / reader, etc... some of these very "stupid" apps assume your OS is installed on C and leave their calling card there. SMS and BigFix are notorious Enterprise updaters that make stupid assumptions (mostly by the admins) and the installation packages often default to C.

2) Because your hard drive identifier changed.. How? using Ghost or Arconis you either cloned the partition or HD but wait,   Win 7now has a different drive identifier and Win 7 upon reboot attempts to update the registry MountedDevices and rename the boot drive letter to C just because the drive identifier changed. Win 7 always looks for an opportunity to be renamed to C if the HID changed. Example: Original Win 7 install HD identifier was 7473dc180004934325000000 HD2 PT2. You cloned to 7473dc18007e000000000000 HD3 PT1 and then installed the clone HD as primary. Two results, either Win 7 is still D even now HD0 PT1 or Win 7 tries again to change D to C resulting in the reported error just because the HD identifer changed.

When you boot and get dwmHintdxUpdate crapped out, preparing your desktop, Media Player failed, Explorer failed,  and all you can do is look at a blank screen and access Task Manager and launch cmd as an administrator....   You may need to hack the registry. If the task manager cmd prompt produces C and it was D after the upgrade you may need to reverse the HD ID's in regedit from C to D, D to C in hex 12 bytes only under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices.

Always save your valuable data off to an external HD before trying any of this and expect that this works, yeah! "and" expect the worst, will have to re-image on a primary HD0, PT1 driver to avoid further frustration. If your XP/Vista is still bootable, best to always upgrade Win 7 to an internal HD PT1, not a 2nd partition. It comes down to Win 7 is just not prime time for the 2nd HD or PT option due to stupidity factors like "Invalid Param" when trying to rename D to C within Win 7 and 3rd party apps that look to install on C by default instead of the OS's environment variables stating the drive letter the OS lives on. My ticket resulted in an escalated but unsatisfactory result from the supposed Win 7 pros who couldn't figure this out and of course I must have a virus that caused all this.

I am freaking an engineer for a Fortune company evaluating our XP upgrade path to Win 7. What do you do when this issue is posted here and all over the web. - Geese.

Wednesday, December 02, 2009 9:34 AM
  • I've got this error as well.  I had Vista on partition #1 C and installed W7 on partition #2 D.  I recently decided to slim down drive C to make room for more on D.  Having resized the partitions, W7 now thinks of partition #2 as C which makes it "not a happy bunny".

I'm hoping that tweaking something should be able to reverse this change.  There's a W7 user which I can just about use.  No desktop, but I can bring up a task manager which can start a task.  So I can run regedit and diskpart.  Can anyone suggest the precise changes required using either of these tools - or others.  If not, I'll have a think and play.

It does seem like a pretty bad flaw for W7 to reassign drive letters for a boot drive if it is resized.  Can this be fixed?

Thanks Chris

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 10:06 AM
  • Well, I had to reinstall Windows as I couldn't work out how to fix up the drive letters.

Here's my blog on what happened detailing the serious flaw in Windows 7 (as I see it):  http://chriscant.phdcc.com/2010/09/windows-7-system-drive-letters.html

Chris

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 7:23 AM
  • naw man, chill out, just select the right drive... I got this error msg hence why I'm here, I've cloned 4 drives successfully already...
    Monday, September 12, 2011 11:54 PM
  • can you show me how to do this please
    Wednesday, December 07, 2011 3:59 AM