none
Folder won't delete in Windows 7

Question

• I use my computer for school often. However, when my teacher assigned file names to our archived zip files, it was rather long. The file won't go away and there's nothing in it. I try to right-click delete and there's no option for that. It only appears on the Desktop. I tried looking for it within certain programs in an attempt to try to delete it.

I've tried other things as well, such as:

-Deleting through the MS-DOS Prompt - It's a long file name and it wouldn't recognize it because of the periods mistake for extensions.

-Deleting through Safe Mode

-Third-party file/folder moving programs

-F5 to refresh the desktop

It's  quite annoying to have on my desktop. Please help!

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 6:34 AM

Answers

• derfay schreef op 19-5-2010 8:34:

-Deleting through the MS-DOS Prompt - It's a long file name and it wouldn't recognize it because of the periods mistake for extensions.

You could try to use the short 8.3 filename. That name is shown if you type  dir /X
    Does  Rd <8.3filename> remove the folder?

karelV [MVP - Windows Desktop Experience]
    • Proposed as answer by Linda Yan Thursday, May 20, 2010 2:42 AM
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Monday, May 24, 2010 2:24 AM
    Wednesday, May 19, 2010 7:14 AM

All replies

• derfay schreef op 19-5-2010 8:34:

You could try to use the short 8.3 filename. That name is shown if you type  dir /X
    Does  Rd <8.3filename> remove the folder?

karelV [MVP - Windows Desktop Experience]
    • Proposed as answer by Linda Yan Thursday, May 20, 2010 2:42 AM
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Monday, May 24, 2010 2:24 AM
    Wednesday, May 19, 2010 7:14 AM
  • You can refer to the suggestions in this article to see if the folder can be deleted:

Cannot delete file or folder

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

• Proposed as answer by silverstorm Monday, January 30, 2012 3:02 PM
    Thursday, May 20, 2010 2:43 AM
  • Try this:

I really sought out many versions of help with removing folders that were not found in my C:/ Drive and found a much simpler way, of course with the help of other postings...

Now, I don't know if it will work for everybody but it certainly worked for me. What I did was very simple.

I created a new folder (did not named it) and just dragged it over to the trouble folder.

Now this part can be very tricky because a duplicate folder may apprear. If this happens delete the old folder and keep the new one that appears.

Then create a new folder (no need to name it) and drag it over to the "New" Trouble Folder.

Then you'll notice that it will accept the un-named drop in folder and Whalla.....Now You Can Delete The Folder And No More Nightmares..!!!!

Let me know how it turned out please?

BODA

• Proposed as answer by BODAZAFFA Monday, November 08, 2010 6:18 AM
    Monday, November 08, 2010 6:17 AM

• I really sought out many versions of help with removing folders that were not found in my C:/ Drive and found a much simpler way, of course with the help of other postings...

Now, I don't know if it will work for everybody but it certainly worked for me. What I did was very simple.

I created a new folder (did not named it) and just dragged it over to the trouble folder.

Now this part can be very tricky because a duplicate folder may apprear. If this happens delete the old folder and keep the new one that appears.

Then create a new folder (no need to name it) and drag it over to the "New" Trouble Folder.

Then you'll notice that it will accept the un-named drop in folder and Whalla.....Now You Can Delete The Folder And No More Nightmares..!!!!

BODA

• Proposed as answer by BODAZAFFA Monday, November 08, 2010 6:18 AM
    Monday, November 08, 2010 6:18 AM
  • Genius!  Thank you so much!  This worked!  I've been searching for weeks in my free time on how to delete a couple of empty unrecognized folders from my desktop.  I've been to many threads in some cases multiple times and NOTHING has worked until I tired your trick/procedure. 

THANK YOU for helping fix this ANNOYING problem!!!

Saturday, March 12, 2011 3:51 PM
  • Damn... I guess I spoke too soon.  A quick re-boot and the offending folders appear again.  Ahhhh!  I can do this process again and they do in fact go away but having to do this over and over every time I restart is going to get old...  Any ideas folks? 

Thanks for any help...

Saturday, March 12, 2011 4:00 PM
  • Hi,

I had the same issue in Windows 7

I renamed the folder (I called mine "xyz"), then ran the command prompt

went to the relevant folder that the pesky folder was in

and used the "rd" command which is short for "remove directory"

so I typed "rd xyz"

and...voila...problem seems to be solved..

Monday, May 23, 2011 12:26 AM
  • Folder won't delete an enable long file names

After days of searching I finally found solution for unlocking, managing and renaming long named files. Get your problem solved from http://longpathtool.com/

Sunday, March 25, 2012 10:47 AM