none
Red X for wireless connection while using bridged network

Question

• Hi All,

I have a strange problem with my system, in my PC I have 2 network adapters:

1. Wireless Adapter (Intel(R) WiFi Link 5100 AGN)
    2. Ethernet Adapter (Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet)

I am using network bridge and both the adapters are added to the bridge. Everything was working without any issue till yesterday until I installed some updates for Windows and other products.

Now, whenever I am connecting using wireless connection, task bar icon shows me that not connected to any network (a red X on wi-fi icon) but in tool tip it shows me the connection on which I am connected and my internet also works flawlessly.

If I am connected to wired network, everything is fine and all icons displays perfectly.

I tried various solutions including reformatting and installing Windows 7 x64 HP again, updating all device driver software, disabling and enabling my network adapter as well as routers, other solutions specified on various websites.

FYI, if I delete the bridge and directly connects to the wireless network then the icon displayed is correct. I am also using Virtual Box v2.1.0 with Windows XP as guest OS and this bridge works as the network adapter for Virtual OS.

Please help me out on this.

Regards,

Ashish Sharma

Software Consultant Polaris Software Lab Pte. Ltd. - Singapore

Wednesday, November 02, 2011 12:12 PM

Answers

• Hi,

The “Red X” could be caused by following cause:

1.       No network connect are available.

2.       System corrupted.

3.       Virus.

4.       NCSI feature.(Here are some information about NCSI)

Network Connectivity Status Indicator (NCSI) is a feature since new Windows Vista.

It is designed to be responsive to network conditions, so it examines the connectivity of a network in a variety of ways. One test failed, NCSI may report a error, even if the networking actually can be accessed fully.

For example, NCSI tests connectivity by trying to connect to http://www.msftncsi.com, a simple Web site that exists only to support the functionality of NCSI. Please try to manually visit the following website, you should see “Microsoft NCSI”.

http://www.msftncsi.com/ncsi.txt

For more information about NCSI, you can refer to the following article:

Appendix K: Network Connectivity Status Indicator and Resulting Internet Communication in Windows Vista

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766017.aspx

Regarding the issue, please use “ipconfig -all” to export the IP configuration and post the result. I would check this and try to find some clues about this problem.

On the other hand, I used Virtual Box before, and this problem could be caused by the virtual network adapter of virtual setting. If you change the connection mode to NAT this problem could be solved.

If you have further question about this issue, please don’t hesitate and let me know.

Hope that helps

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Ashish Sharma Thursday, November 10, 2011 8:33 AM
    Monday, November 07, 2011 9:51 AM

All replies

• Hi,

The “Red X” could be caused by following cause:

1.       No network connect are available.

2.       System corrupted.

3.       Virus.

4.       NCSI feature.(Here are some information about NCSI)

Network Connectivity Status Indicator (NCSI) is a feature since new Windows Vista.

It is designed to be responsive to network conditions, so it examines the connectivity of a network in a variety of ways. One test failed, NCSI may report a error, even if the networking actually can be accessed fully.

For example, NCSI tests connectivity by trying to connect to http://www.msftncsi.com, a simple Web site that exists only to support the functionality of NCSI. Please try to manually visit the following website, you should see “Microsoft NCSI”.

http://www.msftncsi.com/ncsi.txt

For more information about NCSI, you can refer to the following article:

Appendix K: Network Connectivity Status Indicator and Resulting Internet Communication in Windows Vista

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766017.aspx

Regarding the issue, please use “ipconfig -all” to export the IP configuration and post the result. I would check this and try to find some clues about this problem.

On the other hand, I used Virtual Box before, and this problem could be caused by the virtual network adapter of virtual setting. If you change the connection mode to NAT this problem could be solved.

If you have further question about this issue, please don’t hesitate and let me know.

Hope that helps

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Ashish Sharma Thursday, November 10, 2011 8:33 AM
    Monday, November 07, 2011 9:51 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your Answer.

I identified that the issue is with Virtual Box Network Adapter Driver. I updated the virtual box to new version and the problem is resolved.

Thanks for your answer and pointing me towards right directions.

Regards, Ashish Sharma Software Consultant Polaris Software Lab Pte. Ltd. - Singapore
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 8:33 AM