none
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit Disk Won't Boot

Question

• I'm trying to install the 64 bit version of Windows Home Premium Family Pack on a 32 bit XP Machine.  I know you can't do an upgrade but only a clean install and have taken the necessary steps to put my files on a seperate drive that I don't want to lose.  My problem arises when I try to reboot my machine and boot to the 64 bit disk.  The light will just flickers on the DVD Rom drive, speed up then throttle down and then hang for about a minute before it gives up and just boots into my already installed OS.

I also tried to see if it would read the disk from windows itself.  Now here's the perplexing part.  Sometimes it would read it (giving me the error: "This installation disk isn't compatible with your version of Windows...." Sometimes it wouldn't read it and tell me there was no media in the drive, wherein I would have to open and close the DVD drive several times in order for it to recognize the disk)

I have the boot priorities set, I can boot off the 32 bit disk fine but the 64 bit disk is giving me a headache.  This is a retail disk I bought, not a burnt DVD.  I installed the 64 bit version (albeit with some problems with the installation....specifically when unpacking the files) on my laptop which I just did an upgrade on since it was a 64 bit vista.

I tried to do a swap with the 32 bit and 64 bit disks, I booted from the 32 bit, once it got to the installation options I tossed in the 64 bit disk and chose custom wherein I was given an error saying I need drivers for my DVD drive.

I have come to the conclusion that I have a bad 64 bit disk, which in itself is rediculous. My question is; Is there someplace where I can download the 64 bit version then just burn it to a DVD, b/c I ordered this retail copy on the internet and don't really want to go through the hassle of shipping it back and having it take 3-5 business days to get there and then 3-5 more to get a new one back.

Sunday, November 01, 2009 5:41 PM

Answers

• I have come to the conclusion that I have a bad 64 bit disk, which in itself is rediculous.
    Hi.

There is no offical 'public' download location for the windows 7 install disk download.  All download locations sanctioned by Microsoft require criteria to be met, such as subscription to particular services or purchase via digital download means etc.  To obtain replacement you would need to order a disk to be shipped to you.

You may have come to incorrect conclusion, however.  It would be wise to try using the disk in a different computer, to check if it is usable or not.

I have seen many reports, on various internet forums, of people experiencing difficulty booting from or installing Windows 7 (particularly 64-bit) only to discover that replacing their optical drive resolved their problems.  Some older drives, it seems experience difficulty even though they appear be be still operating fine for other purposes.  You could check to see if a firmware update is available for your optical disk drive, in an attempt to make it more compatible, but if it is wear and tear on the lens calibration causing issues then drive replacement would be the better alternative.

Alternatively, you could try creating installation media on a USB flash brive, if your machine has capability of booting from USB drive.  There are numerous guides available on the internet describing the procedures involved.

http://store.microsoft.com/Help/ISO-Tool

Sunday, November 01, 2009 9:00 PM

All replies

• Hi there, not going to offer any suggestions, but to let you know I'm having the same issue.  I have 64 bit capable machine running 32 Bit Vista Home Premium, and am attempting a clean install with the retail 64 Bit Windows 7 disc from a 3 licence family pack - The DVD boots, loads files, then gets to the 'Starting Windows' screen then hangs.  I have a separate post and will get back if I get any joy...
    Sunday, November 01, 2009 8:13 PM
  • I have come to the conclusion that I have a bad 64 bit disk, which in itself is rediculous.
    Hi.

There is no offical 'public' download location for the windows 7 install disk download.  All download locations sanctioned by Microsoft require criteria to be met, such as subscription to particular services or purchase via digital download means etc.  To obtain replacement you would need to order a disk to be shipped to you.

You may have come to incorrect conclusion, however.  It would be wise to try using the disk in a different computer, to check if it is usable or not.

I have seen many reports, on various internet forums, of people experiencing difficulty booting from or installing Windows 7 (particularly 64-bit) only to discover that replacing their optical drive resolved their problems.  Some older drives, it seems experience difficulty even though they appear be be still operating fine for other purposes.  You could check to see if a firmware update is available for your optical disk drive, in an attempt to make it more compatible, but if it is wear and tear on the lens calibration causing issues then drive replacement would be the better alternative.

Alternatively, you could try creating installation media on a USB flash brive, if your machine has capability of booting from USB drive.  There are numerous guides available on the internet describing the procedures involved.

http://store.microsoft.com/Help/ISO-Tool

Sunday, November 01, 2009 9:00 PM