none
Windows XP over windows 8

Question

• I have just purchased a new computer which unfortunately has Windows 8 installed. I have used computers for years and I am not adverse to change but this is a serious retrograde step.

To say that I dislike it is the understatement of the year, I wish that I had never seen it !!

Can I remove it from my computer and install Windows XP which may not have all the designer `bells & whistles' of Windows 8 but it works, its user friendly and it does not keep changing !!

Paul Eady

Friday, March 22, 2013 8:09 PM

Answers

• No.  Support for Windows XP will end in about a year.  Please review: Get to know Windows 8

Carey Frisch

Saturday, March 23, 2013 1:10 AM
  • Ignoring the imminent end of Microsoft's support for XP, it might be difficult.

Newer PCs may not have XP drivers available from the machine's manufacturer. It's possible that drivers exist anyway, and that a knowledgeable person could hunt them down, but I wouldn't bet on it.

It's likelier that you could put Windows 7 on the machine.

If the PC is a notebook, it may require custom drivers. I can't recommend trying to install any OS that isn't supported by the notebook maker.

My suggestion: install a Start Menu restoration utility, like Classic Shell (free):

http://www.classicshell.net/

That would make it convenient for you to stay in the Windows desktop most of the time.

Saturday, March 23, 2013 3:39 AM

All replies

• No.  Support for Windows XP will end in about a year.  Please review: Get to know Windows 8

Carey Frisch

Saturday, March 23, 2013 1:10 AM
  • Ignoring the imminent end of Microsoft's support for XP, it might be difficult.

Newer PCs may not have XP drivers available from the machine's manufacturer. It's possible that drivers exist anyway, and that a knowledgeable person could hunt them down, but I wouldn't bet on it.

It's likelier that you could put Windows 7 on the machine.

If the PC is a notebook, it may require custom drivers. I can't recommend trying to install any OS that isn't supported by the notebook maker.

My suggestion: install a Start Menu restoration utility, like Classic Shell (free):

http://www.classicshell.net/

That would make it convenient for you to stay in the Windows desktop most of the time.

Saturday, March 23, 2013 3:39 AM