none
Completely hiding Taskbar on boot

Question

• Hi, i hope my post is in the correct place - otherwise my apologies.

I would like to know if it is possible to hide the Taskbar when booting windows.

Im developing an application in .NET which appears immediately when booting the computer. I don't want the users of this application to be aware that XP is running in the background. I've tried the standard 'auto-hide' feature on the taskbar, which work fine when the application is already running, but when XP boots, the taskbar is shown in 1-2 seconds - enough time to figure out that XP is running in the background.

I've also tried to install a small windows service application which 'grabs' the taskbar and hides it completely when booting - but the taskbar is still shown briefly.

I've tried to search for a lot of days now for any registry settings which may hide the taskbar, but haven't found any solutions yet.

I don't want to use a different theme or skin for windows - since my application should be shutdown by an administrator and should then be able to work normally in XP.

Your help would be greatly appreciated - i've now spent to many days on this problem.

Thanks

Thursday, April 23, 2009 3:40 PM

Answers

• Thanks for your advice.

I just tried to install it. Unfortunately it doesn't hide the taskbar - it 'only' restricts user actions on it.

In the mean time we've decided to go with a different shell instead of the standard 'explorer.exe'.

Thanks for your time.
    • Marked as answer by Buggerole Thursday, April 30, 2009 9:53 AM
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 9:53 AM

All replies

• You might try a program called Microsoft Steady State if you are trying to create a Kiosk type computer.  Steady State allows many things to be disabled.  I believe there is a checkbox to hide the taskbar in Steady State but not completely sure since I haven't used it in a few months.  I setup a public computer and locked it down with Steady State over 2 years ago and it's still going strong.
    Wednesday, April 29, 2009 10:56 PM
  • Thanks for your advice.

I just tried to install it. Unfortunately it doesn't hide the taskbar - it 'only' restricts user actions on it.

In the mean time we've decided to go with a different shell instead of the standard 'explorer.exe'.

Thanks for your time.
    • Marked as answer by Buggerole Thursday, April 30, 2009 9:53 AM
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 9:53 AM