none
Dual Boot on seperate HD, problem RRS feed

  • General discussion

  • When trying to setup a dual boot with Windows7 on the second hard drive the installation fails at the first install reboot.

    My solution was to remove the first (primary) drive. My system is a Dell Inspiron 530 with a quad 9300 CPU, 2gig Ram, primary HD 350Gig SATA, secondary 500gig SATA,  ATA graphics.

    After disconnecting the primary drive the install from the DVD went smoothly. After Windows 7 was installed and running I shut down the system and reinstalled the primary drive. I modified my GRUB menu to include Windows7 on the second drive, and everything works fine.

    I wonder why Micro$oft can't figure out how to install on a second hard drive. Linux has been doing it since 1994. Are the geniuses at Micro$oft not as smart as they think they are?

    Also, Windows7 install will trash the MBR of your system so be sure you can reinstall GRUB. Why can't Micro$oft play well with others?
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 6:23 PM

All replies

  • bartonlp said:

    When trying to setup a dual boot with Windows7 on the second hard drive the installation fails at the first install reboot.

    My solution was to remove the first (primary) drive. My system is a Dell Inspiron 530 with a quad 9300 CPU, 2gig Ram, primary HD 350Gig SATA, secondary 500gig SATA,  ATA graphics.

    After disconnecting the primary drive the install from the DVD went smoothly. After Windows 7 was installed and running I shut down the system and reinstalled the primary drive. I modified my GRUB menu to include Windows7 on the second drive, and everything works fine.

    I wonder why Micro$oft can't figure out how to install on a second hard drive. Linux has been doing it since 1994. Are the geniuses at Micro$oft not as smart as they think they are?

    Also, Windows7 install will trash the MBR of your system so be sure you can reinstall GRUB. Why can't Micro$oft play well with others?

    Considering that Microsoft has rolled out a beta OS to millions of users, this forum is remarkably quiet. Only the people who have problems post here. The millions with no problems do not. I successfully installed Windows 7 beta on a second hard drive. When Vista was in RC1, I had no problem dual booting with WubiUbuntu. I remain firmly convinced that without the standardization that Microsoft brought to the emerging PC market, PCs would a fragmented, nonconsumer, boring piece of office equipment. Microsoft single-handedly created the hardware and software ecology for the information age. And talk about features that are essential but nonexistent in operating systems consider click lock. Most people with mobility impairments need it. I've utilized it with a Kensington trackball since I've been using Microsoft operating systems. I did purchase version 1. In any event, Ubuntu is on its eighth version and has yet to implement this simple input device preference. Moreover, I have been using speech recognition on Microsoft OS's for more than 10 years. The last two OS's release by Microsoft have had speech recognition built into the OS. Microsoft Windows 3.1 was compatible with IBM discrete speech recognition and since Windows 95 or 98, I forget which, both IBM and Dragon have run natively as just another program. Lunix is not for everyone. On the other hand, I recently installed Ubuntu on a college student's aging laptop for wireless connectivity, Internet access, and simple word processing and he is quite pleased with his new OS. Your kind of posts, with the implication that if a $oftware company makes money than the software can't be any good is counterproductive in promoting Linux. Your criticism of a beta OS is wholly unfounded. Would you recommend a commandline distro of Lunix to a newbie?
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 8:24 PM
  • Amen, brother, amen!

    Bartonip, well you had to buy that Dell...LOL! They are dung, sorry. Configurations in the BIOS is your problem there.
    Neither Vista nor W7 trashes the MBR, if you know what you're doing.
    I installed on a separate HD and had absolutely NO problem either...and I had 3 separate SATA drives, and a RAID0 array.
    There IS a little know utility on the Windows 7 disc that will return your MBR to a single O/S,  if you find your dual boot o/s arrangement unsatisfactory.

    Thursday, January 15, 2009 9:28 PM
  •  MULTI booting isn't a prolem for me either. At all! Install of Windows 7 went without a hitch! My configuration is 3 SATA drives, Windows XP Pro times 3 versions on first drive, Vista Ultimate on second drive with Windows 7 second Partition, and Xp Pro single on 3rd drive. AND IT's a DELL! Love it! No problems at all! If Microsoft can get media player to load and play wmv. content direct from Internet Explorer in Windows 7, and come up with a fix for fingerprint readers, then I'd be a happy camper. Windows 7 so far is an AWESOME system at the beta stage! I've had several other minor glitches, but they'll all work out in the weeks to come. MICROSOFT, I think you're on the right track with Windows 7!
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 11:47 PM
  • I was able to install the Window 7 in a dual boot configuration on an existing Windows XP Home installation.

    ASUS A7V400-MX / AMD 2500 Sempron / 1gig DDR PC3200 ram

    I added an old 80 gig hard drive and reformatted it then renamed it Win7.
    I chose Custom Instalation during the loading of the new OS (Windows7)

    The system has been up and running now for 30 hours with the addition of Avira - Antivir AV, and Courier Beta 1196 for email.

    I just added Avant browser 11.7 build 21.
    I was able to import my Bookmarks from my Win XP/Vista Home Premium to IE Beta [Windows7].

    It seems to be running well, according to the CPU monitor gadget: 9% + 47%

    Mike the mod @ Win7

    http://ca.groups.yahoo.com/group/Win7/

    Friday, January 16, 2009 2:46 AM
  • Apparently some such as myself just aren't able to do the dual boot thing without having issues. My issues I have which are not major but irritating ones to me. One is I don't get the pretty little selection screen most get when dual booting multiple OS's. Mine doesn't have the countdown timer it normally would have. Other problem is W7 created a 200Mb partition I can't delete or change drive letters on. The partition it created took the drive letter of D: and that was my normal HDD I used in Vista for running games.
    I am wondering now if I should just format both HDD's that have the OS's on and then try again but unsure which OS I should put on first? I was thinking Vista should go on first as it normally would be already installed and then W7.
    I apparently must have done something wrong and wonder why W7 even had to create the 200Mb partition? I am using an old 20Gb IDE HDD for testing purposes for W7. Not my SATA drives.

    BTW, what little I have used W7 I like it so far. Definitely uses less RAM than Vista and if I get things straightened out the way I want it to be then I am going to see how well W7 will handle some hardcore gaming.
    Friday, January 16, 2009 4:03 AM
  • Hello Msdz,
    if you start the istall normaly, that is without choosing "Custom Install" it overwrights
    the existing instalation.
    That sounds like what may have happend to you.

    Mike the mod
    http://ca.groups.yahoo.com/group/Win7/
    Friday, January 16, 2009 4:35 AM
  • i had this problem to

    from what i can tell windows7 must be able to understand the filesystem of the boot partition of the primary disk if it is not being installed on it else it will complain about cannot create system partition

    this does not allow for situations where the windows boot-loader is not on the primary disk

    this could be fixed by adding an advanced option in the partition editing bit of the installer to select the partition you want windows7 to use as the system partition

    feedback please :)







    Friday, January 16, 2009 11:28 AM
  • Gene Paul said:

    bartonlp said:

    When trying to setup a dual boot with Windows7 on the second hard drive the installation fails at the first install reboot.

    My solution was to remove the first (primary) drive. My system is a Dell Inspiron 530 with a quad 9300 CPU, 2gig Ram, primary HD 350Gig SATA, secondary 500gig SATA,  ATA graphics.

    After disconnecting the primary drive the install from the DVD went smoothly. After Windows 7 was installed and running I shut down the system and reinstalled the primary drive. I modified my GRUB menu to include Windows7 on the second drive, and everything works fine.

    I wonder why Micro$oft can't figure out how to install on a second hard drive. Linux has been doing it since 1994. Are the geniuses at Micro$oft not as smart as they think they are?

    Also, Windows7 install will trash the MBR of your system so be sure you can reinstall GRUB. Why can't Micro$oft play well with others?

    Considering that Microsoft has rolled out a beta OS to millions of users, this forum is remarkably quiet. Only the people who have problems post here. The millions with no problems do not. I successfully installed Windows 7 beta on a second hard drive. When Vista was in RC1, I had no problem dual booting with WubiUbuntu. I remain firmly convinced that without the standardization that Microsoft brought to the emerging PC market, PCs would a fragmented, nonconsumer, boring piece of office equipment. Microsoft single-handedly created the hardware and software ecology for the information age. And talk about features that are essential but nonexistent in operating systems consider click lock. Most people with mobility impairments need it. I've utilized it with a Kensington trackball since I've been using Microsoft operating systems. I did purchase version 1. In any event, Ubuntu is on its eighth version and has yet to implement this simple input device preference. Moreover, I have been using speech recognition on Microsoft OS's for more than 10 years. The last two OS's release by Microsoft have had speech recognition built into the OS. Microsoft Windows 3.1 was compatible with IBM discrete speech recognition and since Windows 95 or 98, I forget which, both IBM and Dragon have run natively as just another program. Lunix is not for everyone. On the other hand, I recently installed Ubuntu on a college student's aging laptop for wireless connectivity, Internet access, and simple word processing and he is quite pleased with his new OS. Your kind of posts, with the implication that if a $oftware company makes money than the software can't be any good is counterproductive in promoting Linux. Your criticism of a beta OS is wholly unfounded. Would you recommend a commandline distro of Lunix to a newbie?

    I have no problem with a company making money as long as they try to play well with others. In my opinion Microsoft has not tried very hard to do that. I also see that there are others on this forum who have had the same type of problem. I, in fact, found the fix to my problem by simply googeling and found many that have had the dual boot problem. I do understand that this is Beta software and so far it has performed pretty well.

    Another annoying install 'feature' is that Windows7 will not install on a USB hard drive. Again this should not be so hard and again Linux has done it for years. I think that especially for a Beta test system a USB drive would be the preferred place. I know that this is a NIT but that is what a Beta feedback forum is for.

    I have a question on another subject: is there a way to get the "Classic" menu and file display like in XP and 2000? I suspect there is and if I look hard enough I'm sure I'll find it but a little hint would help. Thanks


    Friday, January 16, 2009 4:41 PM
  • Mike the mod said:

    Hello Msdz,
    if you start the istall normaly, that is without choosing "Custom Install" it overwrights
    the existing instalation.
    That sounds like what may have happend to you.

    Mike the mod
    http://ca.groups.yahoo.com/group/Win7/


    No, I did a custom install. I did not upgrade at all. I even did like I said and installed both OS's(Vista Ultimate x64 & Windows 7 Beta x64) again after backing up important data to an external HDD. I still would get the same exact black screen to choose which OS I wanted but not like I should. I could hit "Tab" and go to the memory check tool, no countdown for the primary OS to start up like it should be.
    Anyway, I decided to disconnect the IDE HDD and my other SATA HDD's except the one I was installing Windows 7 on. I decided as long as I keep a back up hard drive of my important data(like any sensable person should testing a beta OS) I would just use Windows 7 Beta till I got disgusted with it then I could always go back to Vista. I do have till August to really play around. BTW, Windows 7 Beta is really fast on the Raptor HDD I have it on compared to the IDE I originally installed it on. I am glad I installed W7 on the Raptor HDD.
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 8:25 AM
  • I'm running a Dell Precision 670 4HDS, 3GB Ram Xeonx2
     I'm runiing Windows XP Pro Sp 3 x86 on one dr, and Windows Basic Sp2 x64 on another dr, and Windows7 x64 on a 3rd dr, had no problems at all installing the OS, My Dell is running Great, and Windows7 is faster than the other Two. Love it!!

    Sunday, March 29, 2009 9:42 PM