none
Restrict Approvers in SharePoint Workflow RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using the approval built-in workflow in SharePoint and I realized that all the approvers can approve for each other. And I want to restrict the people who can approve the task from approving each other.

for example:-

1- I don't want the person in cc to approve instead of the person in the Stage 1.

2- I don't want a person in Stage 1 to approve instead of a person in Stage 2.

Is there a way to prevent this issue?

Thursday, November 7, 2019 5:50 AM

All replies

• Hi MoeAlamri,

By design, we can't modify the build-in workflow.

As long as you fill in the user's name in the approvers, he can still receive messages and approve workflow even if he does not have the approve permission in the site.

And if he doesn't approve the workflow then the status will always be displayed in progress and will not stop.

This group does not have permission to approve items:

User “test222” in this group can still approve workflows:

OOTB's build-in workflow doesn't meet your needs

I recommend that you create a custom approve workflow using SharePoint designer.

For other users who do not need approval, simply send a message to remind them.

You can refer to this article:

https://aspetraining.com/resources/blog/how-to-create-an-approval-workflow-sharepoint-2013

Best regards

Itch Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Friday, November 8, 2019 8:03 AM
  • Hi 

I am checking your situation here.

Any progress on your troubleshooting?

Best regards

Itch Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 7:32 AM
  • Hi ,

If you have any questions, you can update them at any time.

If you think the replies are helpful to you, please remember to mark them as answers. It will help others who meet the similar question in this forum.

Best regards

Itch Sun

Friday, November 15, 2019 8:57 AM
  • Update: Have not been able to do what I am looking for. So, I'm gonna keep it as it's.

Hopefully no one will sign in a someone's else field.

Sunday, November 24, 2019 8:56 AM
  • Hi MoeAlamri,

I recommend that you create a custom approve workflow using SharePoint designer.

You can refer to this article:

https://aspetraining.com/resources/blog/how-to-create-an-approval-workflow-sharepoint-2013

Best regards

Itch Sun

Wednesday, November 27, 2019 2:24 AM