none
HP Photosmart 3210 AIO scanner/printer via network - found but not connected

Question

• I searched the forum and did not find mention of this specific All-in-One printer/scanner....

Mine is connected to the same router and my pc and and using the 32-bit Vista drivers and 32-bit Win7 RC 7100.
    I go through setup and my printer is found by the driver but then I get the error - "Device Setup has failed to complete"

Has anyone found a solution to this issue?
    Monday, May 18, 2009 3:59 AM

All replies

• Can you plug the printer into your computer, let the driver install, then point it to the network location?
    Tuesday, June 09, 2009 10:47 PM
  • On both 32bit & 64bit Windows 7 RC1, Windows finds and successfully installs printer drivers for the HP 3210.  It does this for both LAN (wireless) and USB connections.  When setting-up the USB interface, it actually also identified the 3210 as a scanner and I was able to scan a document.   So the 3210 works with Windows 7 RC1.

Every attempt to run the HP 3210 Setup program has failed when it came to the point that it tries to connect to the device.  I have tried both a "Network" connection and "Direct" USB connection.  No matter which one I try, and even though Windows has already found and connected to the device, HP Setup will not progress past this point and keeps returning to the same screen where you are asked to choose "Network" or "Direct".  However, if I then run uninstall to remove the partial software install, the Setup program sees the two (LAN & USB) printer entries and tells me it will remove them.  I am puzzled as to why HP Setup can find the LAN and USB connected printer entries to "un-install" but can't find them to "install" them.

As I said, the 3210 works fine as a printer via the LAN and can be used as a scanner via USB, so I am using it that way.   However, as HP was very slow with setup software when Vista came out, I expect it will be the same for Windows 7, so I suspect I will change to another brand of printer, although I like the 3210.
    Monday, July 20, 2009 1:42 PM
  • I find the same on Windows 7 RTM (MAPS); HP3210 installer only searches network for a second then returns to the selection again; installs fine as USB. Had to manually install PhotoSmart afterwards though. RTM7 itself finds networked printer ok if telling the IP of printer.   So scan only works through USB.

I hope HP will supply updated drivers for this model; don't want to ditch my HP PhotoSmart 3210 because it won't work with Windows 7. ..
    Helping people with computers
    Friday, August 28, 2009 9:27 PM
  • Just did a chat with HP support and it ended as follows;

MJAIN03_Mayank : I have check in my database but I did not find any patch, As the Windows 7 will officially launch on 22 oct, after that only we can hope for some patch, The network may or may not work this time.

= no official solution yet. Let me know if anyone finds a workaround for this.
    Friday, August 28, 2009 9:45 PM
  • Maui Tech Guru says"RTM7 itself finds networked printer ok if telling the IP of printer". So, find the IP address of the printer and use that to setup as a networked printer. Use the Win 7 drivers.

You can try this for scanning-Start orb-enter scan in the search box and select Windows fax and scan program from the results for scanning. This has worked for some.

I have also noticed that in the Control Panel-uninstall a program-add programs and features selection there are scan services that can be installed. Perhaps that can help.

Typically, the HP software for features doesn't work at all or causes problems, even when installed in compatibility mode. The wait for HP is correct on that issue.

Schtzu, Have you tried the HP network Setup software in compatibility mode? That may work.
    ASUS P4PE-P4 Extreme 3.4gHz-2gb G.Skill PC3200-XPSP3:55gb-Win7RC:17gb-DATA:500gb-ASUS N6800GT
    Saturday, August 29, 2009 1:09 PM
  • Good news! HP has selected models for Win 7 support here. 3210 AIO has downloadable software.
    ASUS P4PE-P4 Extreme 3.4gHz-2gb G.Skill PC3200-XPSP3:55gb-Win7RC:17gb-DATA:500gb-ASUS N6800GT
    Wednesday, September 02, 2009 12:24 PM
  • Thank Nano,

the link indeed mentions the 3210 as being part of the 7 thus downloadable .... except there is notthing available as of now; but will be when getting closer to 10/22.

I've got it to work just fine with USB, but would like my entire network to use this over IP as well. the network install doesn't install the scanning part and hence I've gotta use the USB for now.

hopefully HP will render a new full 7 driver soon ....

//Uli
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 8:01 AM
  • I am using exactly this printer with Windows 7 Ultimate RTM. I have exactly the same issue, if I install with USB then everything works fine but if I install as a network printer then it is only a printer.
    This is very annoying as I want to be able to scan over the network without having to plug in a USB cable, if I had wanted to do that then I would not have specifically bought a network printer.

I hope HP get their act together soon, this printer was a pain on Vista too.
    You would have though that with a company so big as HP they would have got the driver ready ahead of time, not wait until Windows 7 hits the shops.
    Friday, September 25, 2009 3:34 PM
  • Joogles,
    Until the Win 7 software is available, the workaround is to add it as a network printer, test print ok. The click the start orb and type scan in the search box, select the Windows Fax and Scan program from the results.

That should give you scanning ability into an app or a raw scan image. 

Many of the hardware vendors are refusing any support until after 10/22/09. Anyway, you may like the Fax and Scan program.

Best Regards. 
    • Edited by Nano Warp Friday, September 25, 2009 5:18 PM removed incorrect information
    • Proposed as answer by Maui Tech Gurus Sunday, November 15, 2009 7:06 PM
    Friday, September 25, 2009 5:03 PM