none
Windows explorer restarts on pc startup RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, thanks for stopping by and hopefully you can help with my issue.

Ever since around 2 weeks ago I have the issue that whenever I start up my laptop, as soon as I try to open something whether its Google chrome, a folder, a game windows explorer will crash then restart I haven't see any answers online or im just not looking hard enough.

Just a quick note im not the most techy person so if you could use detail when you answer that would help a lot.

Thanks and have a good day

Friday, July 26, 2013 3:38 PM

Answers

• The fault module,  StackHash_76a1, is not positively identified.

Can you check what is logged in the Event Viewer:

Start > type eventvwr in the "Search programs and files" box and press "Enter" > expand "Custom Views" > "Administrative Events"

Look through the "Administrative Events"  for Application Errors involving explorer.exe

Double-click on each event for more details.

Also, can you download and run the following application (AppCrashView):

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/app_crash_view.html

Click on one of the recent errors.

Can you copy and paste the information that appears in the lower window that has loaded modules

Friday, July 26, 2013 6:43 PM
  • Hi,

From your post, I understand that Windows explorer crashed once you tried to open something like Chrome, folder, or game.

Regarding to the event log you posted, it seems that the issue can be caused by 3<sup>rd</sup> part conflict.

I suggest we check the issue in clean boot, please let me know the test results.   

To test in Clean boot mode:

How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows 8, Windows 7, or Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note After clean boot troubleshooting, please follow steps under “How to reset the computer to start as usual after clean boot troubleshooting” in above article.

In order to identify the issue more accurately, please help to collect the application dump file for me to do further research:

You can configure Windows to create user-mode dumps. Create a System Restore Point first.

If you copy and paste the following in Notepad and save as a .reg file, then right-click the .reg file and select "Merge" to add to the registry, a .dmp file at the time explorer.exe crashes should be created in the C:\CrashDumps folder:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps\explorer.exe]

"DumpFolder"=hex(2):43,00,3a,00,5c,00,43,00,72,00,61,00,73,00,68,00,44,00,75,\

00,6d,00,70,00,73,00,00,00

After Explorer (explorer.exe) crashes, can you then make the .dmp file available (provide link) via Windows Live SkyDrive or similar site?

Thanks for your cooperation and look forward to your response.

Best Regards, StarSprite

Monday, July 29, 2013 5:59 AM

All replies

• Can you open the Action Center on the taskbar > Maintenance > View reliability history > View all problem reports

Can you right-click on a few of the "Windows Explorer"  "Stopped working" errors > View technical details

What are the details of the errors?

There is a "Copy to Clipboard" link at the bottom.

Paste the information first into Notepad and then recopy the information from Notepad to post here.

Friday, July 26, 2013 5:48 PM
  • Hey thanks for the reply I navigated to the error and these are the notes that popped up

Description
    Faulting Application Path: C:\Windows\explorer.exe

Problem signature
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: Explorer.EXE
    Application Version: 6.1.7600.16768
    Application Timestamp: 4d688122
    Fault Module Name: StackHash_76a1
    Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
    Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Offset: 00000000031e0009
    OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 4105
    Additional Information 1: 76a1
    Additional Information 2: 76a173c26a6dc2e3cd83ac8fd9f8bdb9
    Additional Information 3: 7b3f
    Additional Information 4: 7b3f634c955ac91fe3f1e745337a968a

Extra information about the problem
    Bucket ID: 34863011

Friday, July 26, 2013 6:15 PM
  • The fault module,  StackHash_76a1, is not positively identified.

Can you check what is logged in the Event Viewer:

Start > type eventvwr in the "Search programs and files" box and press "Enter" > expand "Custom Views" > "Administrative Events"

Look through the "Administrative Events"  for Application Errors involving explorer.exe

Double-click on each event for more details.

Also, can you download and run the following application (AppCrashView):

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/app_crash_view.html

Click on one of the recent errors.

Can you copy and paste the information that appears in the lower window that has loaded modules

Friday, July 26, 2013 6:43 PM
  • Hi,

From your post, I understand that Windows explorer crashed once you tried to open something like Chrome, folder, or game.

Regarding to the event log you posted, it seems that the issue can be caused by 3<sup>rd</sup> part conflict.

I suggest we check the issue in clean boot, please let me know the test results.   

To test in Clean boot mode:

How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows 8, Windows 7, or Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note After clean boot troubleshooting, please follow steps under “How to reset the computer to start as usual after clean boot troubleshooting” in above article.

In order to identify the issue more accurately, please help to collect the application dump file for me to do further research:

You can configure Windows to create user-mode dumps. Create a System Restore Point first.

If you copy and paste the following in Notepad and save as a .reg file, then right-click the .reg file and select "Merge" to add to the registry, a .dmp file at the time explorer.exe crashes should be created in the C:\CrashDumps folder:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps\explorer.exe]

"DumpFolder"=hex(2):43,00,3a,00,5c,00,43,00,72,00,61,00,73,00,68,00,44,00,75,\

00,6d,00,70,00,73,00,00,00

After Explorer (explorer.exe) crashes, can you then make the .dmp file available (provide link) via Windows Live SkyDrive or similar site?

Thanks for your cooperation and look forward to your response.

Best Regards, StarSprite

Monday, July 29, 2013 5:59 AM
  • How is this an answer?

Asking to load another utility and report the results (which I don't see on this thread either BTW) is just another step in diagnosis, not a resolution!

Tuesday, April 1, 2014 3:44 PM