none
Windows 7 and Multiple sound cards - Need a little help here

Question

• I need to have 3 applications each running a DIFFERENT sound card.  Can this be done under xpmode for each application of will I have to establish a virtual machine for each of the applications I have running?  I have a Q6600 CPU running on an ASUS P5W64 Motherboard.  I can use the onboard sound for one application and there are 2 pci slots available for 2 other sound cards
    Thursday, July 09, 2009 6:55 PM

Answers

• In case you have USB based sound devices, you can assign them to respective VMs. This will solve the problem for you.
    Thanks, -Rahul -- "This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use."
    Monday, July 13, 2009 6:10 PM

All replies

•   No, that won't work. The vm does not see the physical devices in the host. It uses its own emulated devices.
     All vms would see the same one.

Bill
    Friday, July 10, 2009 4:17 AM
  • Thanks Bill for your reply,

Maybe I have the concept of Virtual Machines all wrong.  What I am understanding you saying is that a virtual machine are for internal computations and usage.  Any thing that relates to the outside world must be accomplished through the host.  Therefore even with all the cores and threads a virtual machine can ONLY communicate with the outside world IF the software that the virtual machine is running will allow a direct access to that certain hardware(that is my guess).

In particular I am a trader.  I can set up multiple instances of the trading software I use on my computer.  Right now, on a single machine, the data comes in and I get financial charts and all the alarms go through the same sound card/speakers.  What I want is for each instance of the trading/charting software I have running to be able to access it own sound card.  Getting multiple alarms out of the same sound card is very confusing.  Therefore, I need to get the alarms from each trading/charting software system from different sound cards.

Here are some more curves for you. 

1. If multiple sound cards are set up in the host, which I know can be done, Can select cards be deleted in the VM?  That would mean the sound from a particular trading/charting software will only have access to a particular sound card.

2. Are sound cards emulated in VM's, if so how does that sound get out to the real world?

Currently I am using 4 computers with 4 sets of speakers to set up each instance of the trading/charting software for the alarms to be distinguishable.  This means I have to also have a KVM to effect trades on each platform.  (Yes I also have the Q6600 as the machine that has everything on one that I want to use as a VM base machine)

Any more info from you (or others) would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Monday, July 13, 2009 4:36 AM
  • In case you have USB based sound devices, you can assign them to respective VMs. This will solve the problem for you.
    Thanks, -Rahul -- "This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use."
    Monday, July 13, 2009 6:10 PM
  • Thanks Rahul, I was going to also ask about usb sound devices in the previous post but forgot to.  THANKS again, I will try that
    Monday, July 13, 2009 7:32 PM
  • Hi Rahul,

How to assign the  USB Sound devices to respective VM's. Could you please let me know.

Thanks & Regards,
    Shankar.A
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 5:21 AM
  • I didn't want to make a new thread, so please appreciate my re-use of this thread.

Here's my situation:

Gateway laptop connected to a TV via HDMI.

I want to be able to listen to music/watch videos with VA output to the TV while using my laptop's speaker or 3.5mm for everything else. WMP allows me to do this cause I can tell *just* WMP to make the default device the HDMI. But if I wanted to use, say, iTunes, I would be stuck with a 'change all' change, because I can only do it through Win7's sound settings.

Specifically, here's my issue:

I want to be able to listen to music or watch video via the TV. But I dont want sounds coming from the OS or from ie: online poker games, to come out from the same speakers. I want the little chimes and bells that the browser-based poker games have to come out from my laptop speakers. No I dont want to use my headphones. No one mention a USB or headphone fix, please.

So, basically, WMP solves my issues (Thank you Bill!). But I have an iPhone and tend to have iTunes running more often than WMP.

Vista was cool cause if you opened a program under a default sound setting, it seemed to stay there even if you changed the settings and started a new program that used the other sound settings. (Start music, switch to laptop speakers, start poker). I was told Win7 fixed this issue, but it actually made it worse because if you change the Default Device, apps seem to update immediately and switch devices.

I highly doubt my computer has 2 sound cards. Its a 2 year old Gateway mid-line laptop. But I have succesfully 'tricked' my CPU into using 2 devices simultaneously before Win7, is there a way to do it now?

Here's a few alternative questions that would give me a satisfying answer:
          Is the a web browser that has a "default sound device" option?
          Is there a way to change iTunes' default device?

iTunes 9.1.8, Windows 7 Ult, Gateway T-1616 is my gear. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

(Sorry if my post was too in depth: its just that I read too many "be more specific" posts all over the web before I posted here. This is my first post in this forum, and I really hope I didn't break any rules)
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 3:35 AM
  • i think this software might help

http://hotfile.com/dl/93761638/29be06c/win7audiochanger.rar.html

its also a script made exe file
    Wednesday, January 05, 2011 12:59 AM