none
Error adding printers on windows 7 client after deployment (0x00000709)

Question

• Using WAIK/Deployment Workbench, we have successfully deployed Windows 7 Pro with applications to a set of dell Optiplex 745s.  There are no errors during or after the deployment.  However, after logging into the workstation, I am unable to print or add network printers.  

Our printers are located in //powervault/[printer name].  //powervault is a windows 2008 R2 server with X64 and x32 drivers.  I currently have windows XP, vista, 7 (64 and 32 bit) clients all printing fine.  In the past, I've used a .bat file to deploy printers.  There are a total of 6 printers from various manufacturers. 

So far I have tried:
    -  Browsing to //powervault and double clicking on printers.  This results in error 0x00000709 (Double check the printer name and make sure that the printer is connected to the network)
    - deploying printers using a GPO  (no error, but they do not appear on the client)
    - adding printers by creating an IP port and directly printing (bypass //powervault)  This works, but is unacceptable as //powervault runs print accounting software to bill our clients.

There isn't much information on the 0x00000709 error that makes sense.  I only get this error on computers that have been deployed and not a hand-installed OS.

Does anyone have any ideas for further troubleshooting?  Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 6:19 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Based on my research, this error code means ERROR_INVALID_PRINTER_NAME. To resolve this kind of issue, you need to take the following steps:

1.     Searched for any PendingUpgrades or PostSPUpgradeKey in the Print Hive and removed the same.

2.     Windows 7 will try to communicate to the print server via the Asynchronous RPC protocol, to disallow the use of the Asyncronous RPC protocol on the client, configure the following registry value:

Path: HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\Printers\EnabledProtocols
    Type: DWORD
    Data: 6

3.     Created the following Key.

reg add HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print /v DnsOnWire /t REG_DWORD /d 1

Reference:

Error message when you try to connect to a printer by using an alias (CNAME) resource record: "Windows couldn't connect to the printer"

4.     Also created the following keys.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters Value Name: DisableStrictNameChecking Data Type: REG_DWORD Value: 1

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\parametersValue Name: Optional Names Data Type: REG_MULTI_SZ Value:

Server name : WOODS

IP : 10.205.2.214

5.     Then change the value of "Previous name" in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\Windows X64\Drivers\Version-3

"Previous Names"=hex(7):00,00

Reference:

Error message when you try to install a network printer on a Windows Vista-based computer: "Windows cannot connect to the printer Operation could not be completed (error 0x0000000d)"

6.     Also created a value in the HOST file for the Print Server at C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

7.     Set the Point and Print restriction policy in Computer Configuration in Windows 7.

Policy for Windows 7 Clients:
    ============================
    Computer Configuration | Administrative Templates | Printers | Point and Print
    Restrictions.

Disabled the policy.

Also set the other policy as well.
    Policy :
    Computer Configuration | Administrative Templates | System | Driver Installation

and used the policy "Allow Non-Administrators to install drivers for these device setup classes".

Also in that Policy we have to specify the class (GUID) of the driver.

Found the Class of printers : {4D36E979-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

8.     Finally deleted the whole print hive. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print

Merged the Print hive from a fresh working Windows 7 64 Bit machine.

Restarted the spooler.

Best Regards

Dale

Thursday, April 29, 2010 6:08 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on my research, this error code means ERROR_INVALID_PRINTER_NAME. To resolve this kind of issue, you need to take the following steps:

1.     Searched for any PendingUpgrades or PostSPUpgradeKey in the Print Hive and removed the same.

2.     Windows 7 will try to communicate to the print server via the Asynchronous RPC protocol, to disallow the use of the Asyncronous RPC protocol on the client, configure the following registry value:

Path: HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\Printers\EnabledProtocols
    Type: DWORD
    Data: 6

3.     Created the following Key.

reg add HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print /v DnsOnWire /t REG_DWORD /d 1

Reference:

Error message when you try to connect to a printer by using an alias (CNAME) resource record: "Windows couldn't connect to the printer"

4.     Also created the following keys.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters Value Name: DisableStrictNameChecking Data Type: REG_DWORD Value: 1

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\parametersValue Name: Optional Names Data Type: REG_MULTI_SZ Value:

Server name : WOODS

IP : 10.205.2.214

5.     Then change the value of "Previous name" in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\Windows X64\Drivers\Version-3

"Previous Names"=hex(7):00,00

Reference:

Error message when you try to install a network printer on a Windows Vista-based computer: "Windows cannot connect to the printer Operation could not be completed (error 0x0000000d)"

6.     Also created a value in the HOST file for the Print Server at C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

7.     Set the Point and Print restriction policy in Computer Configuration in Windows 7.

Policy for Windows 7 Clients:
    Computer Configuration | Administrative Templates | Printers | Point and Print
    Restrictions.

Disabled the policy.

Also set the other policy as well.
    Policy :
    Computer Configuration | Administrative Templates | System | Driver Installation

and used the policy "Allow Non-Administrators to install drivers for these device setup classes".

Also in that Policy we have to specify the class (GUID) of the driver.

Found the Class of printers : {4D36E979-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

8.     Finally deleted the whole print hive. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print

Merged the Print hive from a fresh working Windows 7 64 Bit machine.

Restarted the spooler.

Best Regards

Dale

Thursday, April 29, 2010 6:08 AM
  • Hi Dale,

I hope your reply is the resolution to our identical problem. However before I hack things to death, it would be nice to know what of the suggested steps should be performed on either the client or server, or indeed both?

Thanks,

RL

Wednesday, April 13, 2011 4:02 PM
  • Turns out the issue was caused by an x86 printer application (Equitrac) being installed on an x64 machine. Dope!

• Proposed as answer by RL57 Friday, June 10, 2011 3:08 PM
    Friday, June 10, 2011 3:08 PM
  • Thanks RL57, you just saved me a hell of a lot of trouble... been bashing my head a bit wondering why I couldn't add any printers, and sure enough (thanks to your tip) it was Equitrac causing us the problems too.
    Monday, August 15, 2011 7:29 PM
  • Hi Stevep4,

Glad to help :)

Just so you know - there is an x64 Equitrac client and that worked well for us

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 9:36 AM
  • I'm having the same problem new Dells running Win7 64-bit SP1. Where do I get the Equitrac client? Equitrac? (They don't seem to be very helpful, btw).
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 5:52 PM
  • Hi Michael,

Our problem was due to the fact that we had installed the Equitrac 32bit client on the 64bit machines, instead of the 64bit Equitrac client.

Equitrac is used for printer billing managememt . So unless you used Equitrac I would't install the client!

In order to find the root cause we have to build up a laptop manually, and methodically install and test the applications that were installed as part of our standard corporate image.

Thursday, October 20, 2011 2:40 PM
  • Thanks, RL. We ARE using Equitrac and we have found and installed the 64-bit Client software. The machines can finally "see" the printers, HOWEVER, now we can't actually print from these 64-bit machines because the "Release Key" window doesn't pop up when a document is printed. The document appears to be sent to the printer, but there's no way to see the document in the print queue and/or actually print it out from the Equitrac printers. It's as if the Client software isn't installed. Any suggestions??

• Edited by michaelhoit Tuesday, October 25, 2011 5:54 PM
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 5:50 PM
  • Hi Michael,

Were you able to solve this problem? If so, what did you do to resolve this issue?

T

Thursday, March 01, 2012 7:30 PM
  • Dale Qiao offers a good reason.

But if Your network have an AD You should also have a DNS server.

Test Your DNS.

Just type in command prompt "nslookup" and then test name resolving for machines than have installed a network printer by entering net-BIOS names.

Also You may simplify this task using WINS without DNS.

For more information about DNS and/or WINS see the Microsoft technet knowledge base.

• Proposed as answer by milepexel Thursday, May 10, 2012 7:55 AM
    • Edited by milepexel Thursday, May 10, 2012 7:57 AM
    Thursday, May 10, 2012 7:54 AM
  • slt à tt,

j'ai eu  le problème de définir n'importe qu'elle autre imprimante connecté au réseau par défaut avec le code d'erreur 0x00000709 et impossible d'imprimer une page excel ou pdf à partir de laquelle ..

donc j'ai essayé avec cette solution et sa marche : j'ai supprimé le clé "windows" trouvant sous HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\Microsoft\Windows NT\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows  ensuite je l'ai recrée et importé le contenue d'un autre clé "windows" trouvant sur un autre pc fonctionnel .... :)

• Edited by sanavit Friday, December 07, 2012 9:59 AM
    Friday, December 07, 2012 9:37 AM