none
Windows 7 and MKV

Question

• Looking for codecs to play MKV files on the W7 beta...is this supported or am I doing something else wrong as I can't play them?  I've tried installing 3rd party codecs for Vista with no luck.
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 3:53 PM

Answers

• Just download the CCCP codec pack (just google CCCP codec). This has everything you need to play MKV files. + it adds FFDShow/Haali/AC3Filter etc.... (& my favourite: Zoomplayer)
    • Proposed as answer by M Kraak Wednesday, January 28, 2009 1:58 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jeff Clowes Thursday, January 29, 2009 3:37 PM
    Wednesday, January 28, 2009 1:58 PM
  • Red264 said:

You cant [normally] play H.264 MKV files in WMP12 or media center as there is no native MKV splitter in Windows 7 though it does natively support the codecs used.

The only way to play such files in media center is to use a registry hack to make them show and install Haali media splitter plus ffdshow tryouts (without resorting to those bad codec packs).

To play MKV files outside of WMP/media center use Media Player Classic Home Cinema or VLC.

It would be a lot better if Microsoft added a simple MKV splitter to Win7 it would stop people asking for it and they have already paid for codecs commonly used in MKV anyway. Plus MKV has no costs attached so they dont have to pay for it.

Red,  you do not need to do a registry hack to play .mkv files in W7MCE or W7WMP just install the freeware codes , google ccc codec or shark codec and install. I must say though through trying the new shark win7 codec playing mkv in MCE has ceased to work but they still work in WMP. I am using W7 x64 beta though and although the earlier shark release distunguish between architecture the latest Win7 doesn't so that may have caused the problem. The CCC codec seemed to work well .mkv files in MCE I used it with an MCE plugin called Media Control.

• Marked as answer by Jeff Clowes Thursday, January 29, 2009 8:11 PM
    Friday, January 23, 2009 9:13 PM

All replies

• My clean install of the Win7 beta plays mkv's just fine--using media center.
    Monday, January 19, 2009 2:00 AM
  • Hey Jeff,

I installed VLC player (.mvk support out of the box ) and it works fine.

Gtz DW
    Monday, January 19, 2009 12:37 PM
  • There must be some up with the file itself, it's HD (720p, x264) encoded and I've had trouble with those before.  I can play it on my XP machine (k-lite codec pack installed) but no go on my Xbox360 or the W7 machine.   I can't drag & drop it onto the media centre window or anything either.  I'll give VLC a try.  Thanks for the replies.
    Monday, January 19, 2009 2:27 PM
  • It plays mkv fine,
    but i have a verry long waitingtime for the cover in my movies,
    please make to draw the curtainat the flicks as at plugin Filme
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 7:16 PM
  • You cant [normally] play H.264 MKV files in WMP12 or media center as there is no native MKV splitter in Windows 7 though it does natively support the codecs used.

The only way to play such files in media center is to use a registry hack to make them show and install Haali media splitter plus ffdshow tryouts (without resorting to those bad codec packs).

To play MKV files outside of WMP/media center use Media Player Classic Home Cinema or VLC.

It would be a lot better if Microsoft added a simple MKV splitter to Win7 it would stop people asking for it and they have already paid for codecs commonly used in MKV anyway. Plus MKV has no costs attached so they dont have to pay for it.

Friday, January 23, 2009 10:31 AM
  • Red264 said:

You cant [normally] play H.264 MKV files in WMP12 or media center as there is no native MKV splitter in Windows 7 though it does natively support the codecs used.

Red,  you do not need to do a registry hack to play .mkv files in W7MCE or W7WMP just install the freeware codes , google ccc codec or shark codec and install. I must say though through trying the new shark win7 codec playing mkv in MCE has ceased to work but they still work in WMP. I am using W7 x64 beta though and although the earlier shark release distunguish between architecture the latest Win7 doesn't so that may have caused the problem. The CCC codec seemed to work well .mkv files in MCE I used it with an MCE plugin called Media Control.

• Marked as answer by Jeff Clowes Thursday, January 29, 2009 8:11 PM
    Friday, January 23, 2009 9:13 PM
  • VLC player work perfectly in WIN 7 for .mkv files ..

http://vlc-media-player.en.softonic.com/

I even have Dolby HD & THX support now for .mkv (.h264)  :) 

Monday, January 26, 2009 9:04 PM
  • Jeff Clowes said:

Looking for codecs to play MKV files on the W7 beta...is this supported or am I doing something else wrong as I can't play them?  I've tried installing 3rd party codecs for Vista with no luck.

I have reinstalled media center on my HTPC a thousand times to watch TV and video files like .avi, .mkv, etc

This is what I do for each fresh OS install ( you only need 2 main programs for audio and video )

1. install ffdshow (latest build)
       - turn on subtitles in the video decoder setup, and set preferred language to english in the vobsub section

2. install haali media splitter (for mkv)
       - set preffered subtitle language codes in setup, example add "eng" for english

you can find these at http://www.videohelp.com/tools/sections/codecs

3. to get Media Center to see .mkv files, open windows media player then do the following:
      - right click on top menu, turn on "menu bar" (or ctrl+m)
      - open an .mkv file (media player wont see it by default use the "any file (*.*)" setting on the left)
      - when the dialog box pops up "do you want the player to try to play this content", check "dont ask me again for this extension" and select "yes".

Now media center will see .mkv files and play the subtitles!!  (You can repeat this step for any other unrecognised file formats.)

P.S. if you dont use media center you can play the files in media player or I use VLC. (media player will still need 1 and 2 installed)

edit: I just checked and I had to install vobsub 2.23 to get subtitles working and disable subtitles in ffdshow

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 5:23 PM
  • Just download the CCCP codec pack (just google CCCP codec). This has everything you need to play MKV files. + it adds FFDShow/Haali/AC3Filter etc.... (& my favourite: Zoomplayer)
    • Proposed as answer by M Kraak Wednesday, January 28, 2009 1:58 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jeff Clowes Thursday, January 29, 2009 3:37 PM
    Wednesday, January 28, 2009 1:58 PM
  • M Kraak said:

Just download the CCCP codec pack (just google CCCP codec). This has everything you need to play MKV files. + it adds FFDShow/Haali/AC3Filter etc.... (& my favourite: Zoomplayer)

You mean like I suggested 3 posts earlier?
    Thursday, January 29, 2009 4:32 PM
  • Check out: http://shark007.net/ he has some great codec bundles.
    Thursday, January 29, 2009 8:50 PM
  • BellerophonUK said:

M Kraak said:

Just download the CCCP codec pack (just google CCCP codec). This has everything you need to play MKV files. + it adds FFDShow/Haali/AC3Filter etc.... (& my favourite: Zoomplayer)

You mean like I suggested 3 posts earlier?

google ccc codec (not cccp)
    Friday, January 30, 2009 7:44 AM
  • You need to install Haali Media Splitter (aka Matroska Splitter):

http://haali.cs.msu.ru/mkv/

Then you need a H264 decoder. CoreAVC is the best but isn't free, ffdshow works well too:

http://ffdshow-tryout.sourceforge.net/

If you are under x64, don't install ffdshow x64. The Matroska Splitter is 32-bit and it will work only with WMP 32-bit and ffdshow 32-bit.

Friday, January 30, 2009 8:04 AM
  • Install the Vista Codec Pack and thats else. MKV works fine in the Media Center. You can play for example 1080p streams include in the MKV container in DolbyDigital.

Regards

Friday, January 30, 2009 8:11 AM
  • Looking for codecs to play MKV files on the W7 beta...is this supported or am I doing something else wrong as I can't play them?  I've tried installing 3rd party codecs for Vista with no luck.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mkv]
    @="WMP11.AssocFile.MKV"
    "Content Type"="video/matroska"
    "PerceivedType"="video"
    save in note pad as .mkv.reg worked for me

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 12:13 PM
  • Mikey, that's just the local file association. :)  The other part of that as has been mentioned repeatedly is the need for an MKV splitter.  Everything listed above uses the Haali Media Splitter for that as far as I'm aware.
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 6:06 AM
  • You need to install Haali Media Splitter (aka Matroska Splitter):

http://haali.cs.msu.ru/mkv/

Then you need a H264 decoder. CoreAVC is the best but isn't free, ffdshow works well too:

http://ffdshow-tryout.sourceforge.net/

If you are under x64, don't install ffdshow x64. The Matroska Splitter is 32-bit and it will work only with WMP 32-bit and ffdshow 32-bit.

I am using the 64bit version of FFDShow for x264 decoding & 32 bit DScaler for DD & DTS + FFDShow for mp3 and other audio. (Haali works fine with the x64 OS)
    HD 720p (x264) + DTS uses 15-18% [if DD is used it slumps to 12-15%] processing power while XviD & DivX (W7 codec - still cr@p) + mp3 recode to DD 5.1 [FFDShow] uses 35-45%. This is exacly why I like Zoomplayer. It is a bit cumbersome to set-up having to direct every video & audio source through the best codec for it but the results are amazing.

AMD +4200 64X2 / 4Gb RAM / 9600GT HTDI 1024Mb

& for the smarty pants correcting me. Did you not notice waaaaaay in the beginning of the thread I mentioned CCCP codec, then you did aswel but with the wrong name so I re-entered the same comment.
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 8:11 AM
  • Hi Jeff, go to http://shark007.net for your 32bit and 64bit codec needs. It's your one stop shop for all the codecs you need to watch anything and listen to anything.

Cheers,
    Mike
    Friday, May 15, 2009 10:00 AM
  • Have you checked out the DivX Tech Preview: MKV on Windows 7?

The first release was for build 7000 and was released April 30, and the 2nd release is for build 7100 and was just put out last week.

Once installed, the DivX Tech Preview allows for playback of MKV in Windows Media Player and Windows Media Center via Media Foundation and Windows 7's included decoders - that's right, there are no 3rd party codecs included in this Tech Preview.

You can check it out at http://labs.divx.com

Let us know what you think.

--Porfitron
    DivX Labs
    Monday, May 18, 2009 5:41 PM
  • VLC is the best, but on 7 Beta and RC, when i enlarge or fullscreen a low-res video, the image gets all crappy and distorted, kinda like pixelation. This never happened on Vista or XP, so is it just some driver that needs updating or something?
    Monday, May 18, 2009 7:01 PM
  • Is there a way to get around the uncontrollability of AVI and MKV files in WMP? I downloaded K-Lite which allowed AVI and MKV to be played in WMP, but i can't click the time bar to jump to the middlem, or hit fastforward or rewind. After seeing this, i downloaded CCC, but to no avail. This usually never happens with AVI, so is there some crappy codec that I need to get rid of, or some driver that needs updating?

VLC is the best, though!
    Monday, May 18, 2009 7:05 PM
  • VLC is the best, but on 7 Beta and RC, when i enlarge or fullscreen a low-res video, the image gets all crappy and distorted, kinda like pixelation. This never happened on Vista or XP, so is it just some driver that needs updating or something?

Try setting your video output to "directx video output" to workaround this issue.

Windows will inform you that "the color scheme has been set to windows 7 basic" but just ignore that.
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 2:35 AM
  • Here is a sure way to get it working worked on 2 machines
    Spent all day figuring this out

Download Divx

http://www.divx.com/downloads/divx

you only need the codec

Get the Combined Codec Pack
    With all default settings and ac3 S/PDIF enabled

http://www.cccp-project.net/

and the ac3 filter for audio mine wouldnt play audio till i got this

http://ac3filter.net/projects/ac3filter/releases

Also download the Direct x
    http://www.microsoft.com/games/en-US/aboutGFW/pages/directx.aspx
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 9:55 PM
  • Who ever has Window 7 Media Center , and cant play all the video formats, don't bother messing around looking on the internet looking all day at forums. All of them just say the same thing, somthing about messing around with  registry hack DONT BOTHER!!!!!!! (if your not a computer nerd like me)

Simply just download CCCP AMAZING worked stringth away!!!
    Friday, January 08, 2010 10:15 PM
  • I'm not sure the luck I'll have here as this is just barely under a year old (two days to go!).. but your instructions on the issue of subtitles are not clear at all.

I have MKV files working just fine in Media Center, but there's nothing whatsoever for subtitles, no matter the options I enable or disable in FFDShow (Video config), and in Haali. Are they supposed to "automatically" show in Media Center? Am I supposed to have the OPTION for subtitles in Media Center (like I were playing a DVD)?

Please clarify for myself...

______

System as follows:

Win7 RC 7100, Intel i7 920, 4gb DDR3-10666 RAM, Radeon HD5850
    Monday, January 25, 2010 8:40 AM
  • For subtitles, downloading and installing DirectVobSub should do the trick.
    Tim De Baets
    http://www.bm-productions.tk
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 5:22 PM
  • Hey Tim... so, I installed DirectVobSub just fine, but there's a problem. I have a feeling I should be able to run the DirectVobSub Configure option now that it's installed, but when I attempt to run it, I have an error message stating: "There was a problem starting dvobsub.ax. The specified module could not be found."

I find this very odd that I would recieve this error as it's a fresh install of the program. Do you happen to run mkv files in Media Center with subtitles? My big question (aside from step by step how to get this working) is: are substitles going to ALWAYS be on by default, or will I have an option WITHIN Media Center to disable/enable them, as if watching a DVD in Media Center? (right-clicking brings up the program info, zoom, subtitle options).

Could you walk me through the process step by step of how to get this to work?
    Saturday, January 30, 2010 8:22 AM
  • In your other post, you're saying that this is Windows 7 x64. DirectVobSub is 32-bit, so it won't work with the 64-bit Media Center. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to exist a 64-bit version of DirectVobSub. However, you can also enable subtitles in FFDShow: while an MKV file is playing, you should see an FFv-icon in the system tray. Double-click this to open FFDShow's video decoder configuration. Put a checkmark next to Subtitles, in the list on the left, and click OK (FFDShow's video decoder configuration can also be opened from the Start Menu).

I haven't used Media Center myself, but I'm pretty sure that MC's subtitle options won't have any effect on the Subtitles setting in FFDShow.
    Tim De Baets
    Saturday, January 30, 2010 4:43 PM
  • Hey Tim.

I understand DirectVobSub doesn't have a 64-bit version at all and know that it won't work with 64-bit Media Center.

Herein lies my problem now that you've explained things a bit to me. I've already gone ahead and installed Haali Media Splitter, which contains the video codec for allowing h.264 playback within Media Center. I've also gone ahead and installed FFDShow and I already have the subtitles option enabled. The icon in the bottom right-hand portion of my screen (system tray) is not for FFDShow, but for the Haali Media Splitter. It also lists the "english" option selected. Although FFDShow isn't showing in my system tray, I have, however, already configured it to enable subtitles in the separate configuration through the start menu. I have already selected the subtitle check mark, touching no other options whatsoever, yet nothing seems to work.

My observation here is that the Haali Media Splitter seems to be over-riding the FFDShow install. If so, is there a way to work around or through this?
    Saturday, January 30, 2010 5:46 PM
  • Tim,

I'd just like to update a bit here as to my new configuration and potential new issues.

I decided to try another guide I had found, and uninstalled (went fresh) Haali and FFDShow. I've since reinstalled the newest version of FFDShow and Gabest Splitter. Playback of MKV files works just fine, but still no subtitles.

Now - to address something you told me. While I had Haali installed, while playing an MKV file, you stated I should have an FFv icon in my system tray (the video decoder)... I do not (and even with the Gabest splitter installed). The only icon is the FFa (Audio Configuration). The only time the FFv shows up, Media Center seems to crash cometpletely, and I only spot the icon when I have the "not responding" window up and I check the system tray.

I don't suppose you would happen to have any ideas as to what's going on?
    I've also had a bit of an issue earlier today with FFDShow (audio) playing every audio stream at once (multiple icons in my system tray). I believe I have since upgraded to a newer 64-bit version of the FFDShow application and believe this has corrected the error, and allows for switching of audio streams within the settings.

Also, I don't suppose you would have heard of any third-party applications that would allow one to choose which splitters/codecs to actually use per program settings? (i.e. for Media Center, it would list audio/video/subtitle options, media player, etc)
    Sunday, January 31, 2010 7:21 AM
  • Open FFDShow's video decoder configuration, go to Codecs, and make sure that H.264/AVC is set to libavcodec. If that doesn't help, download GraphEdit x64 and use that to check what video codec is used to play the MKV files. Uninstalling or unregistering this codec should make Media Center use FFDShow instead.
    Also, I don't suppose you would have heard of any third-party applications that would allow one to choose which splitters/codecs to actually use per program settings? (i.e. for Media Center, it would list audio/video/subtitle options, media player, etc)
    No, sorry. As far as I know, this isn't even possible.

Tim De Baets
    Sunday, January 31, 2010 5:33 PM
  • Open FFDShow's video decoder configuration, go to Codecs, and make sure that H.264/AVC is set to libavcodec. If that doesn't help, download GraphEdit x64 and use that to check what video codec is used to play the MKV files. Uninstalling or unregistering this codec should make Media Center use FFDShow instead.
    No, sorry. As far as I know, this isn't even possible.

Tim De Baets

Please go to http://shark007.net there are 32bit and 64bit codecs available which are easilly configured and tell the OS which codecs to use where.

Cheers,
    Sunday, January 31, 2010 10:59 PM
  • Avelar,

Can you tell me what setting it is that i'm looking for specifically in the program? There are dozens that could possibly be used.
    Sunday, January 31, 2010 11:01 PM
  • Tim,

I've downloaded Graphedit x64 and I've proceded to attempt to open District 9 (as my example). It lists as such:

District 9 - Video/Audio/Subtitle - and then the Video stream and Audio streams are set to their own filters. Subtitle 1 (English) has absolutely nothing connected to the pin. I've attempted to link it with the FFDShow Video Decoder to the "IN TEXT" pin, but when I do, the error of: "These filters cannot agree on a connection. Verify type compatibility of input and output pin. No combination of intermediate filters could be found to make the connection. (Return code: 0x80040217)

Is there perhaps something I'm missing?
    Sunday, January 31, 2010 11:28 PM
  • Again, is H.264/AVC set to libavcodec in FFDShow's video decoder settings?

I pointed you to GraphEdit to find out what other video codec (filter) is being used to play the MKV file, so what's the exact filter the Video stream is set to? That's pretty critical information here.
    Tim De Baets
    Monday, February 01, 2010 2:57 PM
  • Hey Tim,

libavcodec is selected in FFDShow codec settings. In graphedit x64, my District 9.mkv shows as follows:

District 9.mkv - MPC - Matroska Splitter - ffdshow video decoder - video renderer

there WAS nothing connecting the english subtitles to the ffdshow

--

Now, what's happened since yesterday: I took Avelar's advice and downloaded Shark007's "Settings Application". I went to the "H264" tab and made sure "Use FFDShow's codec" had "FFDShow with multithreading" was checked, "do not use MPC-HC codec" was checked, and "Use FFDShow's codec" was checked under the section "h264 in directshow players". Subtitles play just fine now...

But i have a small issue now that pertains to Media Control if you're familiar with it. When I installed and set these settings in Shark's program, subtitles were playing and the keyboard shortcuts worked for enabling and disable subtitles. Since closing and restarting Media Center (had something else to do in the mean time), the shortcuts no longer work. FFDShow has it's own settings for keyboard shortcuts for things, but they do nothing either. Am I perhaps missing something?
    Monday, February 01, 2010 3:05 PM
  • I don't have any experience with Media Control, so I'm afraid that I can't really help you with that. You might have better luck in Shark's forums or the FFDShow forum .
    Tim De Baets
    Monday, February 01, 2010 3:27 PM
  • ok i did your steps and yes ur right WMC now plays my .mkv but no sound, it doesn't show a thumbnail pic (i dont care tho). I like sound any help 
    Thursday, September 02, 2010 12:44 AM
  • ok got it just installed shark007  vista pack
    Thursday, September 02, 2010 1:02 AM