none
Missing Fonts After Creators Update Installed

Question

• To get ahead of the whole Windows Update thing, we downloaded the RTM of the Creators Update and upgraded all workstations.  The PC that is used by our graphic Artist (Corel Draw) is now missing about half the fonts that were in place before the upgrade.  The fonts do not appear in Windows App font menus and they appear "Partially" in Corel Draw font menus.  The fonts themselves are substituted with Arial wherever they have been used in drawings.  All font types are affected - T1, TT and OpenFont.  Here is a very small partial list:  

TT Avant Garde (whole family)

T1 A Garamond (whole family)

T1 Baskerville (whole family)

TT Belwe

TT Binner D

O Bliss (whole family)

TT Compacta (whole family)

TT Copperplate (whole family)

TT Corporate (whole family)

TT Dom (whole family)

TT Dutch (whole family)

TT Excursions (whole family)

TT Fritz Quadrata (whole family)

TT Franklin (whole family)

TT Futura (whole family)

TT Gothic 720 (whole family)

T1 Gill Sans (whole family)

All of these fonts were present prior to install of creator's update.  Any suggestions as to what might be wrong and how to fix it?

Wednesday, April 05, 2017 5:40 PM

All replies

• Hi Mike,

Please refer to this article:

Some fonts are missing after upgrade

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start/some-fonts-are-missing-after-upgrade/95839dfa-0df2-4bc0-875a-fd6b57e61fe4

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 06, 2017 8:46 AM
  • Hello Karen,

Thanks for your reply.  I actually saw that article and tried it and while it did add more, the majority of the ones we had are still missing.  The Adobe program that our graphics guy uses to install them shows that they are installed but they are not available for selection in Office products or anything else.

Mike

Thursday, April 06, 2017 12:02 PM
  • Try re-registering your fonts with this utility:

http://code.kliu.org/misc/fontreg/

I had a similar problem (fonts listed on the Fonts control panel, but missing from application dialogs) and it fixed the issue.

• Proposed as answer by MCBastos Monday, April 17, 2017 2:20 AM
    Monday, April 17, 2017 2:20 AM
  • Karen_Hu, your response was totally irrelevant to the question at hand.
    Tuesday, May 09, 2017 12:04 PM
  • MCBastos - worked for me!
    Tuesday, May 09, 2017 12:08 PM
  • Thanks - I will give this a try.

Mike

Thursday, May 18, 2017 3:15 PM
  • Hi Mike, hi all,

I ran into the same problem, but think I found a solution:
    (wording may be different since I'm translating from my german system)

Goto: Control panel\fonts\font settings
    disable 1st option (hide fonts based on language setting)
    enable 2nd option (allow installation of fonts by link)

Seems that Mircosoft implemented new options in Creators Update. So it's not a bug - but a feature ;-)

Anyway this fixed the problem for me. Hope it helps others too.

Saturday, May 20, 2017 7:16 AM
  • I upgraded to the Creators Update, and now all my PostScript fonts are inaccessible.  Specifically BemboSC (small caps and italics) that I use constantly.  It was working before the update.  The .pfb and .pfm files are in the psfonts directory where they belong.  I can double click the .pfm file in the pfm subdirectory and get a display of the font.  When I click "Install" it says the font is already installed.  I told it to overwrite.  This had the effect of adding BemboSC to the list of available fonts in Word, but when I apply the font, it just shows as generic sans-serif.  BemboSC still doesn't appear in the available fonts list in InDesign, which is where I absolutely have to have it.

I am desperate.  Please tell me this can be fixed.

Thursday, May 25, 2017 3:58 PM
  • Replying to my own question:  Apparently Type 1 (Postscript) fonts are no longer supported on Windows 10.  I've found an OpenType Adobe Bembo Italic, but I have not been able to find Adobe Bembo Small Caps.  There is a Monotype version, which I will fall back on if I have to, but I would rather have Adobe.  Anybody know if this exists?
    Thursday, May 25, 2017 10:33 PM
  • This has worked for me - so far.

All my fonts went missing in Photoshop CC 2017 after the Win10 Creators update.
    Infuriating!

So thanks a lot to Kipperlassitude for posting the solution here.  :o)

Tuesday, June 06, 2017 2:57 PM
  • Hello,

Take a look at this Technet article, some untrusted fonts are now blocked.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/threat-protection/block-untrusted-fonts-in-enterprise

Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Proposed as answer by S.SenguptaMVP Thursday, June 08, 2017 12:13 AM
    Wednesday, June 07, 2017 11:03 PM
  • This isn't just a case of missing fonts it is a case of the whole font system being broken in Win 10 Creators update.

Installing new fonts and having them be retained in Windows is a nightmare.

Installing multiple font styles i.e Font A Regular/Font A Bold/font A italic etc will see each next font installed overwrite the previous from the same family so as only the last font installed from that name show. I have read numerous posts regarding this all over the net from Techs to Graphic Designers. it is not isolated.

How long have you been doing this, Microsoft?
    • Proposed as answer by lgdubois Monday, July 03, 2017 4:25 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by lgdubois Monday, July 03, 2017 4:25 PM
    Thursday, June 15, 2017 9:42 PM
  • Totally agree with UnoSupamUs. This problem is not a simple case of certain fonts now moved to optional, the font system since Creators Update is now completely unstable and broken. Many fonts that I have used for years suddenly appear blank or display some default font. Someone has suggested that the registry entries for files might be too long and true enough a lot of the problem fonts do indeed have long registry entries. If I copy them from a safe store and paste them directly into Wondows\fonts then in many cases it is solving the problem. What on earth have you done to something so basic, Microsoft?
    Saturday, June 17, 2017 2:10 PM
  • GET IT FIXED M$!!!!!  "CREATOR'S" UPDATE my A$$!  THIS IS A JOKE!!!!!!!!  How does it get this far without checking something this important?!?!?!?  I surely hope the people involved get FIRED!  This is serious with serious business at stake!!!!!

Creator's Update = TOY

• Edited by timd1971 Wednesday, June 21, 2017 5:39 PM
    Wednesday, June 21, 2017 5:35 PM
  • In all the Creators Edition, Version 1703 up to and including Build 15063.447, any changes to installed fonts by the user and/or Windows 10 itself through Control Panel Font Settings do not survive after a second system reboot. Another curious symptom is that after the installation of any of the Cumulative Updates the font problems go away until the next reboot at which time the font problems return.

Something in the boot-up code restores the font configuration of the machine to some initial installation state. Even though new fonts are present in the fonts directory and the registry, they are somehow not activated/recognized for use by applications. When a new font is installed and the machine rebooted, that font is initially activated/recognized for use. Any subsequent reboot then erases/deletes that activation/recognition and returns the machine's available font configuration to some predetermined state defined at the installation of Win 10 Update to version 1703.

It would be helpful if Microsoft would at least acknowledge this problem and state whether or not they are working to solve it or clearly state that this is an intended Creators Edition design feature which they don't intend to change.
    Monday, July 03, 2017 4:26 PM
  • I'll bet that this "solution did nor survive a second reboot --

In all the Creators Edition, Version 1703 up to and including Build 15063.447, any changes to installed fonts by the user and/or Windows 10 itself through Control Panel Font Settings do not survive after a second system reboot. Another curious symptom is that after the installation of any of the Cumulative Updates the font problems go away until the next reboot at which time the font problems return.

Something in the boot-up code restores the font configuration of the machine to some initial installation state. Even though new fonts are present in the fonts directory and the registry, they are somehow not activated/recognized for use by applications. When a new font is installed and the machine rebooted, that font is initially activated/recognized for use. Any subsequent reboot then erases/deletes that activation/recognition and returns the machine's available font configuration to some predetermined state defined at the installation of Win 10 Update to version 1703.

It would be helpful if Microsoft would at least acknowledge this problem and state whether or not they are working to solve it or clearly state that this is an intended Creators Edition design feature which they don't intend to change.

Monday, July 03, 2017 4:33 PM
  • I found a solution for the fonts missing from Windows 10 yesterday.  I was looking for how to fix Photoshop elements on this link:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-winapps/photoshop-elements-10-pulldown-menus-are-now-blank/32d8173b-9f21-4506-aa1a-611a97c9f0e8

Way down the posts I found this suggested link to another forum:

https://forums.adobe.com/message/9662082#9662082

In that forum in a post dated June 29, 2017 is this link to a German site that has all the missing fonts:

https://forums.adobe.com/external-link.jspa?url=https%3A%2F%2Foffice.1und1.de%2Fguest%3Fpath%3DFonts%2520-%2520info%2540digemotion.de%26token%3D24C99C517F02EF5C%26mandant%3D02%26product%3Donlineoffice%26locale%3Dde%26viewType%3D0%26guestToken%3Dk8MCeKbgSwKsQTVJE6UNWw%26loginName%3Dinfo%2540digemotion.de

I had to ask Chrome to translate the German page.  I downloaded the file [Missing-Fonts.7z], which is 79 million bytes.

I had a hard time opening a ".7z" zipped file.  I had to go to the "7-Zip" site and download a file [7z1700-x64.exe]

After installing it I could right-click on the large ".7z" file and choose from the context menu "7-Zip" and "Extract files" to a new folder.

From that "missing-fonts" folder I dragged all the font files into the c:\Windows\Fonts folder where they automatically "installed" rather than copied.

I had to Restart my computer for the fonts to be recognized, and now Photoshop is working again.

I've read warnings that The Windows 10 CU update destroys the fonts after 2 restarts, so I'm saving my extracted "missing-fonts" on a backup drive.

Thursday, July 06, 2017 2:09 AM
  • It's not a "solution" if it doesn't survive a reboot. I have discovered that each Win 10 CU fixes the font problems but only until the machine is rebooted again. The vexing thing is that, despite all the chatter, complaints, and problem symptom descriptions in the various forum communities, Microsoft remains mute and won't even comment on the problem let alone solve it!

The only work around I have found is as follows:

1. Configure your machine fonts by reinstalling them either directly or as shortcuts.

2. Reboot your machine to activate the changes - now everything works as you wish re fonts.

3. Don't reboot your machine again - quit by putting it in sleep mode - waking up from sleep preserves all your changes - any reboot deletes all your changes forcing you to go back to 1. above.

Since Sleep Mode leaves the machine accessible via its network connection one can draw one's own conclusions as to why Microsoft has created this situation through the Creators Update.

Monday, July 10, 2017 5:07 PM
  • MICROSOFT!!!!  ARE YOU FIXING THIS OR WHAT?!?!?!?  WE NEED A IMMEDIATE "HOTFIX" NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

Monday, July 10, 2017 7:16 PM
  • From what I have seen on all three of my Windows 10 systems, after the update to the Creator's version, all the fonts that I had installed in C:\Windows\Fonts survived and showed up in the Fonts Control Panel. Those fonts previously installed by link (i.e. “using a Shortcut”) failed to display in the Fonts Control Panel.

The problem is an equal opportunity bug, affecting TrueType, OpenType (both of the CFF and TrueType flavours) and Type 1 fonts.

By simply rebooting, the fonts reappeared and stayed until I either had to reboot or did a shutdown/start sequence at which point the fonts were AWOL again. Reboot and the fonts reappear again. This is insanity. Basically, until Microsoft fixes this bug, every boot is a double boot unless you reinstall fonts directly (i.e., without using “shortcuts”). Note that I install fonts using “shortcuts” to specifically segregate system fonts (installed by Windows, Office, and other programs not under my control) from fonts that I separately license (helps with housekeeping so to speak, at least up until now)!

Note that I have no third party font managers running.

Note that hacks such as deleting the Windows font cache does not fix the problem.

Furthermore, today's Windows update (July 11, 2017) doesn't fix the problem.

- Dov

• Edited by Dov Isaacs Tuesday, July 11, 2017 11:22 PM
    Tuesday, July 11, 2017 10:43 PM
  • Furthermore, today's Windows update (July 11, 2017) doesn't fix the problem.

- Dov

yup, today's update does NOT fix this!!!!!!!

https://www.onmsft.com/news/microsoft-releases-july-patch-tuesday-updates-for-windows-10-and-windows-10-mobile

Tired of this double-reboot everyday.  The problem also affects the speed of the graphics software.  It's like it has to think for a second before doing anything when fonts are involved.  Not so swift anymore!!!!!!!  UGGGHH!

Wednesday, July 12, 2017 9:15 PM
  • Usable "solution" is to delete file C:/windows/system32/FNTCACHE.DAT  every before shutdown or restart.

Then after restart are fonts OK. Without any instalation.

But if you don't delete it, after reboot are fonts missed.

• Edited by vladabaxa Friday, July 14, 2017 7:41 PM
    Friday, July 14, 2017 6:34 PM
  • Hi All,

We have been having the same problem but I believe we have fixed this issue. 

Looks like it is permissions based. We noticed that the permissions in the font folder for "All Application Packages" was not set properly.

We have changed it to Full Control and after a reboot, the fonts are back. Also it allows us to add them as well.

Will do more testing but seems good for now.

Sunday, July 16, 2017 5:05 AM
  • Hi All,

Looks like it is permissions based. We noticed that the permissions in the font folder for "All Application Packages" was not set properly.

We have changed it to Full Control and after a reboot, the fonts are back. Also it allows us to add them as well.

As a special folder, one cannot directly change the permissions of C:\Windows\Fonts from within Windows Explorer; at least I can't fine a way. Right-clicking on the Fonts directory from within Windows does not yield a Properties windows with a Security tab.

Could you please provide specific directions as to how you actually granted full control to “All Application Packages?” (Command line? PowerShell? What?)

Thanks.

- Dov

Sunday, July 16, 2017 5:24 AM
  • As a special folder, one cannot directly change the permissions of C:\Windows\Fonts from within Windows Explorer; at least I can't fine a way. Right-clicking on the Fonts directory from within Windows does not yield a Properties windows with a Security tab.

Could you please provide specific directions as to how you actually granted full control to “All Application Packages?” (Command line? PowerShell? What?)

Thanks.

- Dov

Hi Dov,

Sure, you can manually change it by going to %systemroot%\fonts and then click on Properties in the Ribbon, you can change it from there.

Alternatively, you can create a batch file with the following command:

icacls %windir%\Fonts /grant "ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES":(OI)(CI)RX /T

Also, just wanted to add, that even the following work if you don't want to give Full Control:

Read & Execute

List folder contents 

Read

Hope it helps, I'm still doing more testing, will add the command to our TS and see if it fixes it during the build.

• Edited by kendogc Sunday, July 16, 2017 10:11 AM
    Sunday, July 16, 2017 10:10 AM
  • Thanks for your quick response.

Something isn't right here.

If I manually change directory to  %systemroot%\fonts I simply get a display of the Fonts Control Panel and there is no ribbon or properties within the ribbon even available.

If I open a command window (with Administrator privileges, and I issue the command you provided either directory or in a batch file:

icacls %windir%\Fonts /grant "ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES":(OI)(CI)RX /T

I get the error message:

Access is denied.
    Successfully processed 0 files; Failed processing 1 files.

Apparently, the system is treating the fonts directory as something special that I can't directly access via Windows Explorer nor even by command line.

Is there something different that you've done with your Fonts directory?

- Dov

Sunday, July 16, 2017 4:43 PM
  • Not sure, we haven't changed anything on the fonts folder.

I just tried %systemroot%\fonts on my personal PC, which is on creators update, and it works as well. It opens up the fonts folder and then on the ribbon I can select properties and check the permissions. This is not one of our organisation machines, it's my personal one with a standard build.

Maybe your end is locking it down more? Would be interesting to see if it works for others.

But yeah this fix seems to be working for us.

Sunday, July 16, 2017 10:45 PM
  • Interesting. None of my three Windows 10 Pro Creators Update-based systems where my userid is a local administrator provide any access to a ribbon in the fonts folder. In fact, either clicking on the fonts directory icon from within C:\Windows in a Windows Explorer window or directly entering %systemroot%\fonts in a Windows Explorer yields the Fonts Control Panel (although before it actually displays the Fonts Control Panel, it does look like for a few milliseconds it is trying to display the directory's contents as a regular directory. And in the Fonts Control Panel, there is no ribbon and there is no access to the directory's properties at all.

Note that the batch/command line doesn't work for me either!

There is nothing special about my systems. Nothing is locked down. I fully administer my own systems. All three computers had Windows 10 Pro initially installed by Lenovo (1 ThinkPad P70 and 2 ThinkStation P710).

Yes, it will be very interesting to see whether others can duplicate what you have or have tips to let me get to see the man behind the curtain, so to speak such that I can try your solution.

Sunday, July 16, 2017 11:40 PM
  • Here is what I get

One thing I can advise is that don't type it in via explorer, do it from the start menu or run command.
    • Edited by kendogc Monday, July 17, 2017 12:21 AM
    Monday, July 17, 2017 12:15 AM
  • Hi kendogc & Dov

I tried to set Full control of All aplication packages in Fonts directory. (First i use TakeOwnersip -registry hack on this folder

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3841-add-take-ownership-context-menu-windows-10-a.html)

So now I have Full control checked, but problems are still there. Shortcuted fonts are mising after second restart.

• Edited by vladabaxa Monday, July 17, 2017 11:03 AM
    Monday, July 17, 2017 10:55 AM
  • also note that if you don't reboot twice to get the fonts working, Outlook also throws back an error when printing:

There is a problem with the selected printer.  You might need to reinstall this printer.  Try again, or use a different printer.

Monday, July 17, 2017 2:39 PM

• Also, just wanted to add, that even the following work if you don't want to give Full Control:

Read & Execute

List folder contents 

Read

My system has this currently before trying your FULL CONTROL suggestion, and that obviously isn't working.

Try rebooting your system and see if prob comes back, then reboot again, then works, etc etc.

UPDATE:

Tried setting to FULL CONTROL.  All dimmed out, will not let me change.  Even after selecting UAC control EDIT. and also trying Advanced.

Microsoft really needs to fix what THEY BROKE.  This problem I think has been here since APRIL????  It's JULY!
    • Edited by timd1971 Monday, July 17, 2017 3:15 PM
    Monday, July 17, 2017 3:04 PM
  • None of my systems (including older Windows 7 systems) can get at a “raw” display of the Fonts directory either via the Start Menu or the Run Command. Always opens up to the Fonts Control Panel.

There must be some registry entry that allows one to do what you are doing.  :-(

- Dov

Monday, July 17, 2017 5:53 PM
  • I actually can easily get to the "RAW" display of the fonts as described in kendogc's post and screenshots.  I just cannot change any security settings even though I have admin rights etc.

I just enter %systemroot%\fonts in the "SEARCH" (Cortana) menu.  If I do this using RUN, I get the typical fonts window you get.  So different.

Really getting tired of "workarounds" on some idiot's account working at MicroShaft.  MicroShaft just needs to fix their mistake and own up.

• Edited by timd1971 Monday, July 17, 2017 6:06 PM
    Monday, July 17, 2017 6:04 PM
  • None of my systems (including older Windows 7 systems) can get at a “raw” display of the Fonts directory either via the Start Menu or the Run Command. Always opens up to the Fonts Control Panel.

There must be some registry entry that allows one to do what you are doing.  :-(

- Dov

this folder you can open if you write: 

%systemroot%\fonts    

in search panel as it is on pictures in post from kendogc

But that Full control sugestion was not solution in my two PCs.

Monday, July 17, 2017 6:10 PM
  • I actually can easily get to the "RAW" display of the fonts as described in kendogc's post and screenshots.  I just cannot change any security settings even though I have admin rights etc.

I just enter %systemroot%\fonts in the "SEARCH" (Cortana) menu.  If I do this using RUN, I get the typical fonts window you get.  So different.

Really getting tired of "workarounds" on some idiot's account working at MicroShaft.  MicroShaft just needs to fix their mistake and own up.

At this point, our company's Microsoft contact claims that Microsoft knows nothing about this issue and that I should submit an official bug report via our channels to Microsoft. I'm doing that now.

- Dov

Monday, July 17, 2017 6:12 PM

At this point, our company's Microsoft contact claims that Microsoft knows nothing about this issue and that I should submit an official bug report via our channels to Microsoft. I'm doing that now.

- Dov

That was my "gut" feeling.  You shouldn't have to think they are NOT aware of such a HUGE problem, but then again...  it DOESN'T surprise me!!!! my goodness.  Really something else these companies anymore.  Pathetic.

(thank you Dov for "hopefully" getting this in front of their face)(Adobe being so huge and with a problem like this, you would have thought this would have been dealt with IMMEDIATLY right after all the screaming started)

• Edited by timd1971 Monday, July 17, 2017 6:18 PM
    Monday, July 17, 2017 6:15 PM

- Dov

this folder you can open if you write: 

%systemroot%\fonts    

in search panel as it is on pictures in post from kendogc

But that Full control sugestion was not solution in my two PCs.

Ah yes, if I do a search from the taskbar's search function, I can indeed access a plain file window for %systemroot%\Fonts as well as a ribbon and the properties bar.

However, giving full control simply to the fonts directory doesn't seem to solve the problem. I note that had to change ownership of the fonts directory to Administrators before I could even give full control to All Application Packages. However, even though that gives such control for the Fonts directory, it doesn't give such full control to the underlying files (i.e. propagation).

Upon rebooting, the problem still exists. Maybe if the Full Control is given over all the font files as well (which requires changing their ownership as well)?

This is a really painful hack, sorry!

- Dov

Monday, July 17, 2017 6:31 PM
  • That was my "gut" feeling.  You shouldn't have to think they are NOT aware of such a HUGE problem, but then again...  it DOESN'T surprise me!!!! my goodness.  Really something else these companies anymore.  Pathetic.

(thank you Dov for "hopefully" getting this in front of their face)(Adobe being so huge and with a problem like this, you would have thought this would have been dealt with IMMEDIATLY right after all the screaming started)

I'll report back if and when I hear something of substance.

- Dov

Monday, July 17, 2017 6:34 PM
  • Hi All,

Not necessarily a FIX FOR THE ISSUE...  thanks for the help anyways!
    Monday, July 17, 2017 6:38 PM
  • Not necessarily a FIX FOR THE ISSUE...  thanks for the help anyways!

Just posting what worked for us. Done multiple reboots and still works.

Before the permissions change, we couldn't even add new fonts, basically nothing was working. After this, it all works as it should. 

Also FYI, we aren't giving full control now, just R&E, seems to do the trick. 

We have a few Lenovo X1 Yoga gen 2 machines in now, which ship with Creators Update, our permissions now match what they have and it seems to be working. Not so why it won't for you guys.

The font issue works on machines that ship with Creators Update, seems to only be an issue when deploying a new image, so not sure what the go is there. But yeah, working for us now.

Also, we only had 80 fonts all up on creators update, we had 190+ on Windows 10 1511. After the permission change, fonts went up to over 180!

Hopefully it gets sorted soon. 

• Edited by kendogc Monday, July 17, 2017 11:03 PM
    Monday, July 17, 2017 10:44 PM
  • Adobe now officially has a Support Case entered against this bug! We'll see what response we get and how long it takes to get same!

- Dov

Monday, July 17, 2017 10:51 PM
  • you must be the rare 1% few that it's working.  thanks for the info.
    Monday, July 17, 2017 10:59 PM
  • thanks Dov!  This problem has been going on over at www.designer.com for quite some time also.  Not sure if Corel is doing anything about it though like you are Dov...  it's not their fault, so it seems nothing is or has been done... but the way I see it, it affects the way their software works, so they might want to also get on it.

http://community.coreldraw.com/talk/coreldraw_graphics_suite_x7/f/809/p/55754/266916#266916

http://community.coreldraw.com/talk/coreldraw_graphics_suite_x7/f/809/p/55841/267430#267430

• Edited by timd1971 Tuesday, July 18, 2017 4:33 PM
    Monday, July 17, 2017 11:03 PM
  • Usable "solution" is to delete file C:/windows/system32/FNTCACHE.DAT  every before shutdown or restart.

Then after restart are fonts OK. Without any instalation.

But if you don't delete it, after reboot are fonts missed.

After deleting FNTCACHE isn`t necessary complete restart,
    you can only logout and login....it is little bit faster... 

Is interesting, that after logout-login isn't FNTCACHE  re-created (as after restart) and fonts works well.

So now after first restart will fonts work. (after second missed)

Here in FNTCACHE is that problem I thing.

Thursday, July 20, 2017 5:52 PM
  • SInce the Creator's Update has some stuff that possibly broke all of this, I noticed that when using Paint 3D, that any linked or fonts using shortcuts are NOT in the font list of Paint 3D when adding TEXT.

I have a feeling that whatever Microsoft "Font wise" did with their new Creator's Update experiments (toys) have made all of this trouble for us serious users that NEED our fonts to WORK as before!  Including the speed degradation that it has caused with CorelDraw X7 after this crummy so called "Creator's Update"!

I don't think this problem has ANYTHING to do at the least with FNTCACHE etc.  What gets' me, is why the linked fonts show up after 2 restarts? (FYI, "Allow fonts to be installed using a shortcut (advanced)" is checked/enabled as it should be.  Corel Bitstream Font Navigator (font manager)working as it should also after 2 reboots.... fonts show up. but CorelDraw X7 still SLOW.

If I restart, and I am missing my fonts, CorelDraw X7 works fine speedwise again...but after I restart (to get my linked fonts back for use), CorelDraw X7 is SLOOOW again when working with the fonts.

M$ really should know what they did here...or better yet, tried to FIX something that was NOT BROKE.

Also...  When using Word, when the linked fonts don't load, at least the font name shows up in the drop down list, but the correct font does not show until reboot.  Paint 3D doesn't even show the non-loaded fonts names!  Nor after reboot!

• Edited by timd1971 Thursday, July 20, 2017 11:11 PM
    Thursday, July 20, 2017 10:59 PM
  • I most seriously doubt whether anyone at Microsoft intentionally broke support for linked fonts. I suspect that this bug was introduced as an unanticipated side effect of other work being done in terms of security in Windows 10 and that few if any of the internal testers are hard-core users with fonts installed other than those bundled with Windows or Office (none of which are installed with links).

Note that Microsoft has been trying to deal with issues associated with various TrueType fonts that believe it or not can contain system exploits!

Adobe submitted its bug report against this over two days ago and we are waiting for an initial Microsoft response (hopefully within the week).

- Dov

Thursday, July 20, 2017 11:08 PM
  • What is odd is Corel just released a new update yesterday for Coreldraw 2017 and some are saying they don't have this font problem???? (I personally don't think they rebooted to lose fonts via links, then reboot to get them back, and so on).  The list of fixes do not mention anything about fixing this font problem also.

http://community.coreldraw.com/talk/coreldraw_graphics_suite_2017/f/838/t/55849

Friday, July 21, 2017 2:01 PM
  • What is odd is Corel just released a new update yesterday for Coreldraw 2017 and some are saying they don't have this font problem???? (I personally don't think they rebooted to lose fonts via links, then reboot to get them back, and so on).  The list of fixes do not mention anything about fixing this font problem also.

http://community.coreldraw.com/talk/coreldraw_graphics_suite_2017/f/838/t/55849

There is nothing that either Corel or Adobe or any other application vendor can do to “fix” the problem.

That having been said, some applications do have their own internal font management systems that support not only system-enumerated fonts (i.e., those in the Windows font directory or installed by shortcut), but also fonts in vendor, application, and/or document specific directories. This is certainly true of Adobe's Creative Cloud (and former Creative Suite) applications. For example, both the Creative Cloud and InDesign have font directories in which the user may install fonts that are invisible to the rest of the system. Furthermore, when one “packages” an InDesign document, it produces a subdirectory with all the fonts used by the document. Opening such a packaged InDesign document causes InDesign to look for and use fonts in that subdirectory prior to querying the OS for same.

Such private font directories are absolutely not affected by the current Windows bug.

- Dov

Friday, July 21, 2017 3:13 PM
  • There is nothing that either Corel or Adobe or any other application vendor can do to “fix” the problem.

I understand that, which makes me doubt some users who say they don't have this problem aren't fully experiencing what is going on.  I really doubt Corel implemented what you are explaining in this recent update to get "around" the problem by Microsoft.  Its not mentioned in the list of fixes.

Either way, I appreciate you doing something about it...especially coming from a company such as Adobe where everything revolves around fonts etc.  Otherwise, I think nothing would ever be done, at elast not for a VERY LONG TIME.  It's been long enough since April, and they are JUST NOW made aware.

• Edited by timd1971 Friday, July 21, 2017 3:31 PM
    Friday, July 21, 2017 3:25 PM
  • I had this problem about a week ago.  I was able to change the permissions and the program worked great.  Unfortunately, I rebooted and the problem is back.  

Now, when I go to change the permissions, it won't let me change anything.  Everything is greyed out.  Yes, I tried it as the admin.  

I read about the take ownership but it seems a bit scary to try.  

Any other ideas?

Tuesday, July 25, 2017 5:42 AM
  • I had this problem about a week ago.  I was able to change the permissions and the program worked great.  Unfortunately, I rebooted and the problem is back.  

Now, when I go to change the permissions, it won't let me change anything.  Everything is greyed out.  Yes, I tried it as the admin.  

Any other ideas?

Yes. Wait for Microsoft to fix this.  :-)

In the meantime, simply do the extra reboot after powering up (or after a forced reboot for OS updates, etc.) and all the fonts will show. Mucking with ownerships and permissions just might mess things up when the bug is finally fixed!

We (Adobe) filed an official bug for this. Surprise, surprise, Microsoft was actually able to duplicate this immediately on the first system they tried it with. (Apparently, installing fonts via a shortcut, i.e. a link, isn't something that many if any of their people commonly do. In fact they rarely install fonts!) From what I understand, one of the changes in the Windows 10 Creators Update is in how fonts are initialized after booting in an attempt to better secure the system (TrueType fonts are actually programs and apparently there have been attempts at exploits!)

The bug will hopefully be passed onto the Windows development group ASAP for a fix now that it can be reproduced.

- Dov

Tuesday, July 25, 2017 6:41 AM

Any other ideas?

Yes. Wait for Microsoft to fix this.  :-)

In the meantime, simply do the extra reboot after powering up (or after a forced reboot for OS updates, etc.) and all the fonts will show. Mucking with ownerships and permissions just might mess things up when the bug is finally fixed!

We (Adobe) filed an official bug for this. Surprise, surprise, Microsoft was actually able to duplicate this immediately on the first system they tried it with. (Apparently, installing fonts via a shortcut, i.e. a link, isn't something that many if any of their people commonly do. In fact they rarely install fonts!) From what I understand, one of the changes in the Windows 10 Creators Update is in how fonts are initialized after booting in an attempt to better secure the system (TrueType fonts are actually programs and apparently there have been attempts at exploits!)

The bug will hopefully be passed onto the Windows development group ASAP for a fix now that it can be reproduced.

- Dov

Thanks Dov,

Our issue has come back as well, it's on and off. 

Hopefully MS will fix this soon! 

• Edited by kendogc Tuesday, July 25, 2017 1:55 PM
    Tuesday, July 25, 2017 1:54 PM

Any other ideas?

Dov is right....wait and hope :-) (Taking Ownership and changing rights doesn't fix nothing and can cause problems...
    Tuesday, July 25, 2017 2:59 PM
  • Dov will be our HERO!  Too the world!  ; )

Tuesday, July 25, 2017 3:11 PM
  • Thank you, Dov. I'm a graphic designer using the Creative Suite and I've been spending an awful lot of time struggling to work around this font issue. Let's hope they find a fix soon.

Tuesday, July 25, 2017 6:35 PM
  • I tried this today after I couldn't get into my permissions and this solution worked for me.  At least until I have to reboot.  
    Wednesday, July 26, 2017 1:43 AM
  • unfortunately that isn't a solution anyways.  You may end up doing more damage once the fix from Microsoft shows.  I'd put it back the way it was.
    Wednesday, July 26, 2017 3:56 PM
  • This information about foreign language fonts does not begin to address the "Creators Update" repeated mangling of my fonts when restarting the computer. The problems include the involuntary deleting of the Arial family (except for Arial black) and deleting font shortcuts for fonts from outside of the Windows\Fonts folder that had been installed using the shortcut reference to the font's location. Creators Update indeed!
    Monday, July 31, 2017 11:39 AM
  • Hi, Karen Hu: It is ironic that the "Creators update" shows just where the the creator sits in the Microsoft universe. The font problems that this update brings to my computer upon rebooting includes deleting all Arial fonts (except Arial Black) in addition to mangling all of the shortcut references to fonts that had been already installed.
    Monday, July 31, 2017 1:09 PM
  • I had the same problem. 

After Windows10 Creators update, text boxes using particular fonts were blank (and only displayed a non-standard "text overflow icon"). It was like the text wasn't there at all. The text that was there before Creators update, could not be seen, selected or changed in any way. (In my case the font was Type 1 Post Script Frutiger, which I use very extensively.)

The program was Quark Xpress.

After finding this topic on the forum, and seeing that attempts at fixes by the community have not been very successful (for most of us) I ROLLED BACK TO A PREVIOUS WINDOWS BUILD. - That was successful and my fonts now function properly, thank goodness.

I contacted MS thru their new "Virtual Agent". The virtual agent did not have a resolution, so I had MS call me, which they did promptly. After some ESL communication problems, the live agent finally understood that I was reporting a serious issue with Creators update and the agent recommended that everyone having this problem contact a live MS agent and tell them about the problem so that actually create a patch to fix this problem.

PLEASE CONTACT MS and tell them that some fonts no longer work and what programs were affected. If they get enough calls, they will patch it!

Wednesday, August 02, 2017 4:11 PM
  • Update on the Windows 10 Creators Update Linked Font Bug

As I previously posted, on behalf of Adobe and its customers, I officially submitted a bug report to Microsoft with regards to this serious problem.

Working closely with one of their Senior Escalation Engineers in their Windows Support organization, Microsoft was readily able to reproduce the problem exactly as I represented it to them.

Good News – Microsoft now acknowledges that this is a bug and that it will be fixed. Apparently the bug was introduced as part of major changes associated with improved security in the boot process.

Bad News – The permanent fix for the bug will appear in the Windows 10 Creators Fall Update, the exact release date TBD. This fix isn't something that is readily exportable as a patch in one of the upcoming monthly updates.

Good News – There is a very reliable workaround, based on a single registry entry, which forces rebuild of the font cache at bootup. The side effect is slightly increased boot time, but if you have a reasonably robust hardware configuration (SSDs, fast processor, a good amount of memory, etc.), this increased boot time should not be that noticeable. (My systems are particularly well-endowed in terms of such resources and also have close to 2000 typefaces installed. I see no noticeable difference in boot times!)

Unfortunately, this forum doesn't provide for attachments and thus, I cannot provide the .reg files directly for you, but if you copy and paste into files, the following should work like a charm:

Use this file Temp_Fix_Windows_10_Creators_Update_LinkedFont_Bug.reg to install the temporary fix:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\GRE_Initialize]
            "DisableFontBootCache"=dword:00000001

Obviously, you will need to reboot your system after having applied this registry change.

Use this file Undo_Temp_Fix_Windows_10_Creators_Update_LinkedFont_Bug.reg to remove the temporary fix (you'll need to use this prior to installing the Windows 10 Creators Fall Update):

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\GRE_Initialize]
            "DisableFontBootCache"=-

Microsoft offered a second workaround which I don't recommend - deleting the fontcache file as part of the logoff process. This effectively accomplishes the same thing with the same increased boot time, but quite frankly, if a system crashes or otherwise reboots without logoff, you can't count on this workaround since a logoff script won't be run.

I'll update this thread if and when I get further information from Microsoft confirming that the fix has been made, tested, and included in the Windows 10 Creators Fall Update (or if miraculously, an earlier fix is made available)!

- Dov Isaacs, Principal Scientist, Adobe Systems Incorporated

• Edited by Dov Isaacs Wednesday, August 02, 2017 6:47 PM
    Wednesday, August 02, 2017 5:10 PM
  • Thank you so much Dov!!!

I think it might be just easier (for me at least) to reboot every other time for now rather than messing with the fontcache and the regedit.

Hopefully this fix in fall (half a year later), will also fix the performance issue that came with this problem also using CorelDraw.  The reboot workaround fixes the missing fonts, but not the performance problem, which is an even bigger problem.  I don't expect this problem will be talked about much or looked into in detail since Corel is a competitor of Adobe.  I also use Adobe software, but not nearly as much as Corel, so I don't know if there is a performance problem also.  Maybe if others experience this, please add this here.  The problem is when working with text objects involving fonts obviously.  With .cdr graphic files with lots of text objects in artboard and around it and layers involved etc.  When dragging text objects to COPY them (hold CTRL or "+" key while dragging and dropping), a LAG, or pause of the PC "thinking" and display refreshing causing this performance hit.  Works fast before, now it's a real headache and performance killer.

I would have much rather rolled back the update, but it was no guarantee I would have to reinstall all my software which is a HUGE headache along with activation issues etc etc.

Thanks again Dov for making this aware to MS.

• Edited by timd1971 Wednesday, August 02, 2017 7:24 PM
    Wednesday, August 02, 2017 7:22 PM
  • WRT/ performance issues you are citing, I personally have not seen them with either Microsoft or Adobe applications. That doesn't mean that there isn't a problem; if I encountered symptoms you are seeing with Corel products, I would contact Corel and see what they know about this.

I doubt whether what you are seeing is due to the font subsystem initialization issues or other font subsystem issues, simply because if that was the case, with the number of fonts I have installed, I would likely have seen the problem.

One area that has been problematic in recent Windows and Microsoft application releases has been that of GPU support, especially on systems that switch between using a processor's built-in graphics capability and that of a high-end graphics card. On certain versions of Office and IE in the past, I found that turning off the “use GPU” option (typically in an application's options or preferences) actually resulted in much higher reliability and ironically, performance. You might want to see if the Corel software in question has such a “use GPU” option and turn it off if it is on and see whether the problems are resolved in any way!  :-)

- Dov

Wednesday, August 02, 2017 7:33 PM
  • I hear ya Dov.

The problem started immediately with the Creator's Update install.  It is in fact tied to the font problem and CorelDraw.  I use on a daily basis 14 hours solid, so I am very deep into this software I use and know every nuance.

I will more than likely have to work with a Corel developer on this problem as I have in the past when something changes due to an update, but honestly I just don't have the time or patience...it's like taking part in a beta program... yeah, no.  I'd rather push through for now.

I am going to assume, when the Fall update is ready, it will reverse the problem.  Just have to wait and see unfortunately.  Thanks for the support though and getting this solution started.  It really does have a huge impact on the people that use software that rely on fonts to work properly.

• Edited by timd1971 Thursday, August 03, 2017 2:08 AM
    Thursday, August 03, 2017 2:06 AM
  • Your best bet is to work directly with Corel's support group. If they can track it down to something in the Creators Update, they have much more leverage with Microsoft than any individual has. BTW, it might actually be a different font issue than the font cache issue we have been seeing. Depending upon how and when Corel requests “font enumeration” or metrics for a particular font from Windows, changes in those mechanisms that pessimize performance might the source of the performance issue. FWIW, both Adobe and Microsoft cache the current font information at program start-up and avoid further font enumeration as much as possible, but I obviously don't know what Corel does.

Good luck and let us know if Corel working with Microsoft can trace down the source of the symptoms you are seeing.

- Dov

Thursday, August 03, 2017 4:06 AM
  • also note that if you don't reboot twice to get the fonts working, Outlook also throws back an error when printing:

There is a problem with the selected printer.  You might need to reinstall this printer.  Try again, or use a different printer.

Hopefully fixes this Outlook 2016 printing problem also that immediately started after Creator's Update.  Works fine after every other reboot, but does not when font shortcuts / links broke.

Thursday, August 03, 2017 4:54 AM
  • Thanks Dov, 

I'll try your fix if the issue pops up again for us but I believe we have fixed it for our organisation.

Looks like there was a GPO that was set from XP days that changed the permissions of the font folder to allow users to install their own fonts.

We don't allow this anymore as we deploy fonts via other means, so once we deleted the GPO, did a gpupdate and restored the permissions back to default, the font are working again.

We have 190+ fonts now, hopefully it stays fixed :) 

• Edited by kendogc Thursday, August 03, 2017 10:47 AM
    Thursday, August 03, 2017 10:45 AM
  • ????
    Thursday, August 03, 2017 2:26 PM
  • Thanks Kipperlassitude, you are a Legend. Found your solution just as the steam was about to blow out of my ears, works a treat.
    Thursday, August 03, 2017 2:44 PM
  • Thanks Dov, 

I'll try your fix if the issue pops up again for us but I believe we have fixed it for our organisation.

Looks like there was a GPO that was set from XP days that changed the permissions of the font folder to allow users to install their own fonts.

We don't allow this anymore as we deploy fonts via other means, so once we deleted the GPO, did a gpupdate and restored the permissions back to default, the font are working again.

We have 190+ fonts now, hopefully it stays fixed :) 

Unless you had fonts installed as a “shortcut” (i.e., a link), I suspect the problem you are dealing with has nothing to do with the primary problem discussed in this thread.

- Dov

• Edited by Dov Isaacs Thursday, August 03, 2017 3:07 PM
    Thursday, August 03, 2017 3:07 PM
  • Thanks Kipperlassitude, you are a Legend. Found your solution just as the steam was about to blow out of my ears, works a treat.

Not a solution...  reboot and see if your linked/font shortcuts are working?
    Thursday, August 03, 2017 4:38 PM
  • Unless you had fonts installed as a “shortcut” (i.e., a link), I suspect the problem you are dealing with has nothing to do with the primary problem discussed in this thread.

- Dov

The problem we had was that with Windows 10 1511 we had over 190 default fonts in the fonts folder/store. 

After and upgrade or fresh build to Creators Update the fonts decreased to 80 and when you try to open apps that used those fonts, they crashed or didn't display properly as the fonts were missing. Regardless of how we try to re install the fonts, they don't appear in the fonts folder. Nothing worked. 

So the problem may not have been 100% the same but it was related.

Thanks

Thursday, August 03, 2017 10:08 PM
  • As long as you "install" (without using font shortcuts or links) fonts and they install in the default windows\fonts folder, shouldn't have this problem?

Seems if enabling font shortcuts in Windows, and/or using a third party Font Manager (i.e. Corel Font Navigator) may have this problem most definitely until the fix.

Thursday, August 03, 2017 10:55 PM
  • Unless you had fonts installed as a “shortcut” (i.e., a link), I suspect the problem you are dealing with has nothing to do with the primary problem discussed in this thread.

- Dov

The problem we had was that with Windows 10 1511 we had over 190 default fonts in the fonts folder/store. 

After and upgrade or fresh build to Creators Update the fonts decreased to 80 and when you try to open apps that used those fonts, they crashed or didn't display properly as the fonts were missing. Regardless of how we try to re install the fonts, they don't appear in the fonts folder. Nothing worked. 

Thanks

Interesting! Are you sure that all those over 190 fonts were actually stored in C:\Windows\fonts as opposed to the number of 80 actually being stored elsewhere and actually installed via “shortcut” (actually a link)? If they were all stored in the Windows font directory itself, this indeed a different wrinkle …

- Dov

Friday, August 04, 2017 12:37 AM

- Dov

Thanks

Interesting! Are you sure that all those over 190 fonts were actually stored in C:\Windows\fonts as opposed to the number of 80 actually being stored elsewhere and actually installed via “shortcut” (actually a link)? If they were all stored in the Windows font directory itself, this indeed a different wrinkle …

- Dov

They are definitely stored in the Windows font folder. We only currently deploy one font via sccm and that is source sans pro. All the others are default Windows ones. 

A fresh build of Windows 10 1511 would result in 180+ odd fonts, a fresh build of Windows 10 1703 resulted in 80 fonts. Something with permissions to that folder was screwing it. 

Friday, August 04, 2017 1:31 PM
  • Microsoft has now gone public in admitting to the problem with a KB article on their website and with the temporary workaround that I provided here earlier this week.

See <https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4038303>.

- Dov

Friday, August 04, 2017 8:40 PM
  • You're great! Thank you!

I just saved 80 € to buy a new Photoshop Elements. I thought there's no possibility to fix...

But the knowledgebase article did the trick for me and PSE 9 is working again.

Dosc

• Edited by Dosc Sunday, August 06, 2017 8:13 PM
    Sunday, August 06, 2017 8:12 PM
  • Microsoft has now gone public in admitting to the problem with a KB article on their website and with the temporary workaround that I provided here earlier this week.

See <https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4038303>.

- Dov

In case any other CorelDraw X7 (latest updates) (and other versions also) users are wondering, using the WORKAROUND 1 temporary fix until update release, ONLY eliminates the DOUBLE REBOOT needed to use the "missing" linked or short cut fonts.  Makes it just more convenient for now and saves on wear and tear of double rebooting each day!

The slow performance is STILL there when working with many text objects and fonts.  When copying these text objects via dragging to copy by holding down the CTRL key or "+" key options.

"Hopefully" the MS fix in Fall 2017 does NOT ignore this SERIOUS problem as I really do not want to keep waiting for a complete fix when it could have been DEALT with NOW.  It's been unaware by MS since April of 2017 or so already.  It should have NEVER been broke like this to begin with, ESPECIALLY without quality control before releasing on the world.

This text dragging/copying performance problem is NOT unrelated either, it happened exactly after the Creator's Update when the missing fonts problem first appeared.

Prior to using this "workaround" eliminating double rebooting, if on first reboot, fonts missing, but CorelDraw X7 works FAST and normal as before the Creator's Update never happened!  Upon second reboot to get my missing fonts back and use the fonts via Font Navigator (a font manager that comes with CorelDraw), CorelDraw performance problem back again when working with text objects (not other objects, JUST text objects of course).

Note These workarounds can cause Windows 10 to take slightly longer to start up.

Workaround 1: Disable the font boot cache

1. Open Registry Editor.
    2. Locate the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\GRE_Initialize
    3. Create a DWORD (32-bit) registry entry.
    4. Name the new entry DisableFontBootCache.
    5. Set the value of the new entry to 1.

• Edited by timd1971 Monday, August 14, 2017 2:17 PM
    Saturday, August 12, 2017 12:31 AM
  • You've mentioned this problem several times, but quite frankly, neither you nor I know if its source is the same issue that causes problems with fonts installed via links.

My strongest recommendation is to directly contact Corel and ascertain that they know of the problem and that either:

• Corel is unaware of the problem (either highly unlikely or perhaps there is something unique to your system or a subset of systems running CorelDRAW). In this case they should work with you to understand and replicate the issue such that a real determination may be made of the source and solution for the problem.
    • Corel is aware of the problem and is still working on trying to determine is source.
    • Corel is aware of the problem and has found a solution with modifications to the CorelDRAW code to better deal with whatever peculiarities the latest Windows 10 version introduced. In this case, they should be able to advise as to when a CorelDRAW update should be available for you and other CorelDRAW customers.
    • Corel is aware of the problem and has indeed traced it to some other defect introduced in the latest Windows 10 version. In this case, they should have (famous last words) opened a support case with Microsoft and should be working with them for a fix, possibly including a temporary hack (such as we have for the linked fonts) and certainly a real fix for the next upcoming Windows 10 update.

In any case, please don't assume that the problem will be fixed by someone else going through the process. Quite frankly, quite a few hours of my time (and hence Adobe's time) was spent going through the formalities to get Microsoft to acknowledge, provide a temporary fix for, and commit to a permanent fix for the linked font problem. But it was well worth it since apparently, I was the first to actually have this reported to Microsoft, even though it was discussed in this thread a few months prior to my even being aware of this thread. Bottom line — assume nothing and proactively bug Corel to investigate and if necessary work with Microsoft.

- Dov

Saturday, August 12, 2017 10:38 PM
  • Hi, 

Could you please elaborate on the process of changing permissions once you're in the systemroot? Screenshots could be helpful PLEASE! :) Thanks

• Edited by rezos1 Sunday, August 13, 2017 10:36 AM
    Sunday, August 13, 2017 10:30 AM
  • What happens when Windows releases (in the Fall?) the KB package that fixes this, we need to know what to do with the altered registry subkey, change it back to what it was (emm, what was it exactly?)? Does the new patch take care of this? Any thoughts?
    Sunday, August 13, 2017 11:37 AM
  • What happens when Windows releases (in the Fall?) the KB package that fixes this, we need to know what to do with the altered registry subkey, change it back to what it was (emm, what was it exactly?)? Does the new patch take care of this? Any thoughts?

You should assume that when the Windows 10 Creators Fall Update comes out, you will need to undo the registry entry. Instructions on how to do that are included in my August 2 post.

- Dov

• Edited by Dov Isaacs Sunday, August 13, 2017 7:16 PM
    Sunday, August 13, 2017 7:15 PM
  • The problem OCCURED immediately with the install of the Creator's Update ALONG with the missing fonts problem.

Simple as that.

I am putting this out there so it is made aware that Microsoft, NOT Corel broke this with "their" Creator's Update.  Fix it MS.... matter of fact, should have HOTFIXED already.

Was it Adobe's fault the missing fonts problem occured immediately after the Creator's Update?  Your not the only one.

• Edited by timd1971 Monday, August 14, 2017 4:07 AM
    Monday, August 14, 2017 3:51 AM
  • You are so totally missing the point. And no one is questioning that the “problem occurred immediately with the install of the Creator's Update.”

Regardless of whose fault it is, just kvetching about it here won't fix the problem or even necessarily get it onto Microsoft's radar. Like Adobe's User Forums, these Microsoft TechNet forums are absolutely not an official conduit to Microsoft support or operating system development.

You must be proactive. Go through Corel and make sure that they have Microsoft lined up to deliver the fix. They have much more clout than you personally have.

And don't assume that the same bug in the Creator's Update is the one causing the issues which are plaguing you in CorelDRAW. In fact, based upon your description of the symptoms, it sounds like a totally distinct bug or bugs. And given the lead times for releases, the longer you, other CorelDRAW users, and/or Corel wait to work with Microsoft on this, the more likely it will be that a fix won't be in the Fall Update. (I assume that you know whether or not other Corel users are seeing this also?!?!)

- Dov

Monday, August 14, 2017 5:22 AM
  • I get the point.

Monday, August 14, 2017 2:16 PM