none
Missing Fonts After Creators Update Installed

Question

• To get ahead of the whole Windows Update thing, we downloaded the RTM of the Creators Update and upgraded all workstations.  The PC that is used by our graphic Artist (Corel Draw) is now missing about half the fonts that were in place before the upgrade.  The fonts do not appear in Windows App font menus and they appear "Partially" in Corel Draw font menus.  The fonts themselves are substituted with Arial wherever they have been used in drawings.  All font types are affected - T1, TT and OpenFont.  Here is a very small partial list:  

TT Avant Garde (whole family)

T1 A Garamond (whole family)

T1 Baskerville (whole family)

TT Belwe

TT Binner D

O Bliss (whole family)

TT Compacta (whole family)

TT Copperplate (whole family)

TT Corporate (whole family)

TT Dom (whole family)

TT Dutch (whole family)

TT Excursions (whole family)

TT Fritz Quadrata (whole family)

TT Franklin (whole family)

TT Futura (whole family)

TT Gothic 720 (whole family)

T1 Gill Sans (whole family)

All of these fonts were present prior to install of creator's update.  Any suggestions as to what might be wrong and how to fix it?

Wednesday, April 05, 2017 5:40 PM

All replies

• Hi Mike,

Please refer to this article:

Some fonts are missing after upgrade

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start/some-fonts-are-missing-after-upgrade/95839dfa-0df2-4bc0-875a-fd6b57e61fe4

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 06, 2017 8:46 AM
  • Hello Karen,

Thanks for your reply.  I actually saw that article and tried it and while it did add more, the majority of the ones we had are still missing.  The Adobe program that our graphics guy uses to install them shows that they are installed but they are not available for selection in Office products or anything else.

Mike

Thursday, April 06, 2017 12:02 PM
  • Try re-registering your fonts with this utility:

http://code.kliu.org/misc/fontreg/

I had a similar problem (fonts listed on the Fonts control panel, but missing from application dialogs) and it fixed the issue.

• Proposed as answer by MCBastos Monday, April 17, 2017 2:20 AM
    Monday, April 17, 2017 2:20 AM
  • Karen_Hu, your response was totally irrelevant to the question at hand.
    Tuesday, May 09, 2017 12:04 PM
  • MCBastos - worked for me!
    Tuesday, May 09, 2017 12:08 PM
  • Thanks - I will give this a try.

Mike

Thursday, May 18, 2017 3:15 PM
  • Hi Mike, hi all,

I ran into the same problem, but think I found a solution:
    (wording may be different since I'm translating from my german system)

Goto: Control panel\fonts\font settings
    disable 1st option (hide fonts based on language setting)
    enable 2nd option (allow installation of fonts by link)

Seems that Mircosoft implemented new options in Creators Update. So it's not a bug - but a feature ;-)

Anyway this fixed the problem for me. Hope it helps others too.

Saturday, May 20, 2017 7:16 AM
  • I upgraded to the Creators Update, and now all my PostScript fonts are inaccessible.  Specifically BemboSC (small caps and italics) that I use constantly.  It was working before the update.  The .pfb and .pfm files are in the psfonts directory where they belong.  I can double click the .pfm file in the pfm subdirectory and get a display of the font.  When I click "Install" it says the font is already installed.  I told it to overwrite.  This had the effect of adding BemboSC to the list of available fonts in Word, but when I apply the font, it just shows as generic sans-serif.  BemboSC still doesn't appear in the available fonts list in InDesign, which is where I absolutely have to have it.

I am desperate.  Please tell me this can be fixed.

Thursday, May 25, 2017 3:58 PM
  • Replying to my own question:  Apparently Type 1 (Postscript) fonts are no longer supported on Windows 10.  I've found an OpenType Adobe Bembo Italic, but I have not been able to find Adobe Bembo Small Caps.  There is a Monotype version, which I will fall back on if I have to, but I would rather have Adobe.  Anybody know if this exists?
    Thursday, May 25, 2017 10:33 PM
  • This has worked for me - so far.

All my fonts went missing in Photoshop CC 2017 after the Win10 Creators update.
    Infuriating!

So thanks a lot to Kipperlassitude for posting the solution here.  :o)

Tuesday, June 06, 2017 2:57 PM
  • Hello,

Take a look at this Technet article, some untrusted fonts are now blocked.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/threat-protection/block-untrusted-fonts-in-enterprise

Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Proposed as answer by S.SenguptaMVP Thursday, June 08, 2017 12:13 AM
    Wednesday, June 07, 2017 11:03 PM
  • This isn't just a case of missing fonts it is a case of the whole font system being broken in Win 10 Creators update.

Installing new fonts and having them be retained in Windows is a nightmare.

Installing multiple font styles i.e Font A Regular/Font A Bold/font A italic etc will see each next font installed overwrite the previous from the same family so as only the last font installed from that name show. I have read numerous posts regarding this all over the net from Techs to Graphic Designers. it is not isolated.

How long have you been doing this, Microsoft?
    Thursday, June 15, 2017 9:42 PM
  • Totally agree with UnoSupamUs. This problem is not a simple case of certain fonts now moved to optional, the font system since Creators Update is now completely unstable and broken. Many fonts that I have used for years suddenly appear blank or display some default font. Someone has suggested that the registry entries for files might be too long and true enough a lot of the problem fonts do indeed have long registry entries. If I copy them from a safe store and paste them directly into Wondows\fonts then in many cases it is solving the problem. What on earth have you done to something so basic, Microsoft?
    Saturday, June 17, 2017 2:10 PM
  • GET IT FIXED M$!!!!!  "CREATOR'S" UPDATE my A$$!  THIS IS A JOKE!!!!!!!!  How does it get this far without checking something this important?!?!?!?  I surely hope the people involved get FIRED!  This is serious with serious business at stake!!!!!

Creator's Update = TOY

• Edited by timd1971 Wednesday, June 21, 2017 5:39 PM
    Wednesday, June 21, 2017 5:35 PM