none
Fix-It troubleshooting cannot continue because an error occured

Question

• I have an issue whereby Device Manager can't load the driver for my internal WLAN device. I'm trying to run "fix-it for hardware issues", however, I'm getting an error. Is this being caused by a virus, or some other unknown issue?
    Friday, October 22, 2010 4:29 PM

Answers

All replies

• for this issue it is best to try Malware removal .

1. What anti malware software you have installed?

2. Can you update them? (perhaps you can use your LAN first to update your security suite)

3. Can you do a scan?

If your answer to 2 or 3 is no, or if you have scan results, then you have a Malware issue.

Else, check what WLAN you have and find the latest driver for it.

To check for your wlan

Type msinfo32 and run it.

check for the Device ID of your WLAN and search for its latest driver from the manufacturer's website. or at devid.info

Reference Images:

Installed Network Adapters as shown in System Information

Devices that needs necessary drivers

http://www.cesabarre.com/
    Sunday, October 24, 2010 10:57 AM
  • Hi,

Thank for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

Besides, I would like to confirm what the error message you got is. It would be helpful for analyzing.

Regards,

Alex Zhao

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, October 25, 2010 10:42 AM
  • I am not sure if it is malware issue. Would you provide a notebook type/model? I believe there is a driver issue. Uninstalling a driver and reinstalling it should help.
    ------- Michal Stoppl, DiS. Please always use Mark as answer if you are satisfied with provided solution.
    Monday, October 25, 2010 1:37 PM
  • Hi,

Thank for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

Have you solved your issue? If you need further help, you could post here, and we are willing to help you.

Regards,

Alex Zhao

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum.

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, October 28, 2010 1:42 AM
  • I have this problem too.  "An error has occured..." but there is no hint as to what the error is.  Got it while installing the automatic troubleshooter for an internet explorer issue.

Error Report:

http://wer.microsoft.com/responses/Response.aspx/1485/en-us/5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0?SGD=3b46df0f-3ff1-4a18-ad64-125e19637bcd

IE 8.0.6001.18702 running on Win XP Pro SP3 x86 v5.1 build 2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.111025-1629

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 5:26 PM
  • my problem may be related.  Whenever i try to run any Fixit, i get "Fixit trouble shooting can not continue because an error has occurred.  "we're sorry, but the program encountered a runtime error. Please try again later.  [code 80040402]   Related:  major problems have just occurred--none of my installed printers (I had over 7) are visible.  I can only sign in under administrative, as my user profile no longer functions.  source: user profile service, event ID 1542, windows cannot load classes registry file--the system cannot find the file specified.  Also, this error report:  Log Name:      System
    Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-General
    Event ID:      5 
    {Registry Hive Recovered} Registry hive (file): '\??\C:\Users\Balzac_2\ntuser.dat' was corrupted and it has been recovered. Some data might have been lost.

Sunday, February 19, 2012 12:46 AM
  • I am having the same issue. The error is "Troubleshooting cannot continue because an error has occurred. We're sorry, but an error occurred while downloading one or more components and the troubleshooter cannot be run. Please try again later." Above the progress bar it shows Downloading the Microsoft Fix it Engine. This is on an HP ML 350 G6 server running server 2003 and office 2003. There is nothing in the event application or system logs that give more details.

Also, when we try to run the Office 2003 SP3 I get the error "The update cannot be applied."
    • Edited by AMDarden1 Tuesday, May 07, 2013 2:13 PM
    Tuesday, May 07, 2013 2:12 PM