none
Flash Player & SP3

Question

• Thought I would let some of you know that SP3 for XP has a conflict with Adobe Flash Player. I just worked on a machine and the only issue that would not allow the customer to run online videos from MSNBC for an example was Service Pack 3. Like I said I thought I would let you all know.
    Friday, August 01, 2008 3:12 PM

All replies

•  MBrown09 wrote:
    Thought I would let some of you know that SP3 for XP has a conflict with Adobe Flash Player. I just worked on a machine and the only issue that would not allow the customer to run online videos from MSNBC for an example was Service Pack 3. Like I said I thought I would let you all know.

Try running FlashRepair: http://docxp.mvps.org/b1n/FlashRepair.exe
    From
    http://docxp.mvps.org/Download.htm
    If still no joy, try uninstalling Adobe Flash Player:
    http://www.adobe.com/go/tn_14157
    "How to uninstall the Adobe Flash Player plug-in and ActiveX control".
    Then reinstall Adobe Flash Player:
    http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/

Friday, August 01, 2008 3:30 PM
  • There are millions of users happily using Flash Player on XP SP3 (I am amongst them), so it is possible that some other factor is at work with your customer.  Updating both Flash Player and Shockwave Player to their latest versions might be a worth-while starting point.  Another avenue of investigation might be to disable other add-ons to Internet Explorer, in case those other add-ons are contributing to the problems manifesting themselves in Flash.

Friday, August 01, 2008 3:33 PM
  •  rdhw wrote:

There are millions of users happily using Flash Player on XP SP3 (I am amongst them), so it is possible that some other factor is at work with your customer....

But some users do report a lot of problems, for example

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3564796&SiteID=17

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3489040&SiteID=17

Excellent advice from Robin, nonetheless.

Friday, August 01, 2008 8:40 PM
  • Hi Robin,

Thank you for these suggestions, and others that have helped me, among the many. I have managed to register Flash 9.ocx, and I think the application is working. The entry in Add/Remove Programs has a cross through it. I take this to mean that the Uninstall application, only, is listed in A/R Programs. Is this alright?

There seems to be a problem, though. My registry cleaner can not remove an invalid entry relating to Flash 6.ocx. A few days ago I performed another clean install of XP and downloaded and installed SP3 from Windows Update. I registered Wups2.dll as you had suggested, and had no problems installing further Windows Updates.

My problem may have started when I was prompted to update Flash Player and clicked to do so. Now, I feel sure I have not fully uninstalled version 6, and this is preventing me from clearing the invalid registry entry, as below.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\... contains Flash 9.ocx, but not Flash 6.ocx. So I couldn't find the old file to delete it (even if I knew that it was safe to do so).

I've used ToniArts EasyCleaner safely for 3 years to clean up the Registry and Unnecessary Files. Invalid registry entries have always been deleted sucessfully. However, the entry related to Flash 6.0cx can not be deleted. I will copy and paste it below.

Having resgistered .ocx in a couple of ways, against better judgement, I ran RegistryCure and RegFix7, but these found hundreds of "invalid" entries on my newly installed (and well behaved) system, and would not fix .ocx files unless you purchased paid versions. Running these was probably stupid. I might have further corrupted my registry, but good old EasyCleaner still only finds the one entry related to Flash 6 - and still cannot delete it. Now, having fooled around in this way, I feel inclined to make the time for another (wiser) clean install of XP and SP3. That is, if you agree with this.

Otherwise, can you suggest how to clear the invalid registry entry? Does it matter? Will it further corrupt the registry? How do I find the .ocx file? Can I find and delete it? Will this help to clear the registry entry?

Finally, could my problem be a glitch with SP3, rather than one arising from a thoughtless update without carefully uninstalling Flash 6 first?

I certainly won't click on any more pop-ups prompting me to update; that is, without careful research; and I won't try out any more registry programs before asking informed people for other solutions. My clean XP install with SP3 seemed to be flawless before this. My computer was going well before these two XP reinstalls with SP3. The object of reinstalling was to start with a clean slate. This included deleting restore points when I thought I had thoroughly checked everything. I was probably altogether too hasty doing that.. So System Restore can't help me.

Can I fix my registry, or should I reinstall XP and SP3 again, to start with a really clean slate? (And by the way, in this situation, do you recommend the full 316Mb SP3 download, or Windows Updates)?

Here is the invalid registry entry:

Root     Registry key      Modified            String value       File/path reference

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE          Software\Classes\CLSID\{1171A62F-05D2-11D1-83FC-00A0C9089C5A}\InprocServer32             26/07/2008 2:18:50 PM              C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\Flash6.ocx

Regards, Phil 

Monday, August 04, 2008 1:17 PM
  •  SP3learner wrote:
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\... contains Flash 9.ocx, but not Flash 6.ocx. So I couldn't find the old file to delete it.

You could not find it, because it had already been deleted, I imagine.

the entry related to Flash 6.0cx can not be deleted.

Probably this is because of a Permissions problem on this Registry key.  You might be able to repair the Permissions problem in regedit.

Otherwise, can you suggest how to clear the invalid registry entry?

In regedit, you could try deleting the key yourself.  If that is not allowed, you need to fix the Permissions on the key.

Does it matter?

Probably not - the OCX file it references has already been deleted, so the registry entry has no effect.

Will it further corrupt the registry?

Personally, I never allow any so-called "registry cleaner" anywhere near any of my PCs.  One person's "cleaning" is another person's "corruption".  Have you ever wondered why your wups2.dll got unregistered?  That is precisely the sort of damage of which registry cleaners are capable.  I've never seen any scientifically reproducible evidence of any supposed beneficial effects of registry cleaning in Windows XP and higher class operating systems (though there might have been some benefits with Windows 9x).  There are many grandiose claims, but little evidence to justify the potentially enormous risks of letting these things loose on the most sensitive part of the system.

How do I find the .ocx file?

with Windows Search.

Can I find and delete it?

If it's not there, you can't find it.  If you find it, you can delete it.

Will this help to clear the registry entry?

No, the existence or otherwise of the file has nothing to do with difficulties in deleting registry entries that refer to it.

could my problem be a glitch with SP3

I'm not convinced that you have any sort of problem at all, apart from a possible registry permissions issue.

rather than one arising from a thoughtless update without carefully uninstalling Flash 6 first?

You have no evidence that your previous actions were responsible for your present perceived problem.  Your assumption that they are is probably false.  If it is a registry permissions problem, it probably results from a glitch way back when Flash was first installed on the PC.

I certainly won't click on any more pop-ups prompting me to update

I don't see why not: given the horrific security vulnerabilities that the latest updates fixed in Flash Player, the updates are highly to be desired.  In general, Flash updates itself in an entirely benign way, and to deliberately obstruct that process would be foolish.  I've seen about 38 PCs hopelessly trojaned by vulnerabilities in Flash Player 9 just one patch version out of date.

Can I fix my registry, or should I reinstall XP and SP3 again, to start with a really clean slate?

You don't need to do anything.  It would be nice, but not essential, to do whatever is required in regedit to delete the orphaned registry key. But if you can't delete it, it isn't actually having any effect in the absence of the OCX file it once pointed to, so it doesn't really matter.  It certainly doesn't matter enough to re-install Windows.

do you recommend the full 316Mb SP3 download, or Windows Updates)?

I've had success every time, with either route.  But do remember to fully disable all anti-virus or anti-malware programs first.  If you have any Norton product on your PC, run a full "Live Update" first, so that Norton is at its latest revision level before applying SP3.

Monday, August 04, 2008 3:11 PM
  • Hi Robin,

Thank you for your help again! I found and deleted the Flash6.ocx file very carefully in Regedit, and ran just one more scan in EasyCleaner (which has been safe to use for some time). No invalid entries were found. This has been usual - except when I have installed/uninstalled programs and restarted. Anyway, I'm taking your advice not to run even that registry scanner unnecessarily - particularly as I don't plan to add or remove programs much from now on.

Your suggestions have been really informative. For others - my clean install of XP Home SP2, then SP3 through Windows Update, was smooth and uneventful. SP3 through Winupdate was only 54 Mb. I disabled antivirus and real-time shields for download and install (with browser closed). The only extra-curricular need was to register .dll and .ocx files per Robin's advice in this forum. Thanks.

Regards from Phil

Tuesday, August 05, 2008 1:31 PM
  • The FlashRepair worked to fix my adobe flash player plug-in issues with IE 7.0.  Thank you so much for the post.

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 6:36 AM