Windows 7 SP1 x86, ODBC, and SQL Native Client Performance

• Good Morning Everyone,

Since applying SP1 to select Windows 7 Ent machines (testing before mass install), I have found that one of our applications that uses the SQL Native Client for an ODBC connection is awfully slow. It takes 5 minutes for the application to load and come back with initial data load/presentation. I have tried every other SQLCLI install available, including 2005, 2008, and 2008 R2. This was the case when I first tested the application with Windows 7 about 6 months ago until I found driver version 2007.100.2531.0 SQL Server Native Client 10.0, which seemed to resolve the slowness issue. Now, after applying SP1, it has reverted in being slow.

Is there anything I can look for or modify that might be causing this issue? What part of SP1 touched the ODBC or SQL driver?

Friday, April 01, 2011 5:03 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

According to the following link:

Support Policies for SQL Server Native Client

I suggest you install the latest SQL Native Client to check the result:

Download details: Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 R2 Feature Pack

Due to this is also related to SQL Server, it is also recommended to post SQL Server forum for further help:

SQL Server Category

Hope it helps.

Alex Zhao

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum.

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, April 04, 2011 11:07 AM
  • Hi Alex,

Thanks for the recommendation. As I mention above, I already tried that, including the other versions of the SQL Client with no success. I will, however, post to the SQL board as well.

Monday, April 04, 2011 2:43 PM
  • Hi Alex, thanks for closing this out. My solution is not using the Windows 7 Enterprise w/ SP1 ISO from Microsoft Downloads. Using the original RTM without SP1 and then patching, updating to SP1 prevented the above issue.
    Monday, April 11, 2011 4:57 PM