none
Windows 7 SP1 x86, ODBC, and SQL Native Client Performance

    Question

  • Good Morning Everyone,

    Since applying SP1 to select Windows 7 Ent machines (testing before mass install), I have found that one of our applications that uses the SQL Native Client for an ODBC connection is awfully slow. It takes 5 minutes for the application to load and come back with initial data load/presentation. I have tried every other SQLCLI install available, including 2005, 2008, and 2008 R2. This was the case when I first tested the application with Windows 7 about 6 months ago until I found driver version 2007.100.2531.0 SQL Server Native Client 10.0, which seemed to resolve the slowness issue. Now, after applying SP1, it has reverted in being slow.

    Is there anything I can look for or modify that might be causing this issue? What part of SP1 touched the ODBC or SQL driver?

    Regards,

    D


    D
    Friday, April 01, 2011 5:03 PM

Answers

All replies

  • Hi,

     

    Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

     

    According to the following link:

     

    Support Policies for SQL Server Native Client

     

    I suggest you install the latest SQL Native Client to check the result:

     

    Download details: Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 R2 Feature Pack

     

    Due to this is also related to SQL Server, it is also recommended to post SQL Server forum for further help:

     

    SQL Server Category

     

    Hope it helps.

     

    Alex Zhao

    TechNet Subscriber Support in forum.

    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com


    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, April 04, 2011 11:07 AM
    Moderator
  • Hi Alex,

    Thanks for the recommendation. As I mention above, I already tried that, including the other versions of the SQL Client with no success. I will, however, post to the SQL board as well.

    Regards,

    D


    D
    Monday, April 04, 2011 2:43 PM
  • Hi Alex, thanks for closing this out. My solution is not using the Windows 7 Enterprise w/ SP1 ISO from Microsoft Downloads. Using the original RTM without SP1 and then patching, updating to SP1 prevented the above issue.
    D
    Monday, April 11, 2011 4:57 PM