Admin account and User Account RRS feed

• Question

• I am installing win 7 Ent version.

[1] at  stage of Installation Setup provides an options to select 32 or 64 bit version? Or I have the DVD that has just 64 bit version of win7 Ent? Is there any way that I can find out on DVD what bit is available to install. Doesn’t the Enterprise version comes with both-x86 and amd64.

[2] I want to have an administrator account with the name as Administrator [not built in] with a password. Do I have to create this Account Name  when I install the win7 on a machine, or I can create it later after the installation is completed?

After installing win7, when I try to create a new account with the name: Administrator it says “ ….there is already an account with that Name. “

When I install the win7 with a UserName[say Jon], that account[Jon] will have the admin privileges, but I want to have an account with the name: Administrator with admin privileges as well.

Is it possible? or I have to install win 7 afresh with a primary User Name: Administrator. 

It looks to me that a user with the name: Administrator cannot be created during the installation, too, as Windows Installation says: the account with that name already exists.

So Q is how can I have an  account with a Name: Administrator[ not the privileges] with administrative privileges .

[3] When I try to use Bitlocker it says ‘a TPM is not found on this computer. “.  The PC is not connected to any domain/network.

How do I encrypt the hard disk without a network/server using a USB Key? is it something to do with group Policies?

Monday, August 1, 2011 5:25 PM

Answers

• 1. If I understand your question correctly, yes it will ask you which version you would like to install. The disc should have both versions on it unless your copy came with multiple discs.

2. I also like having a local account named "Administrator". Though you cannot create one because there is already a built in one, there is nothing wrong with using the built in one. What I do is simply make a temporary account during the install (call it "temp"), right click on "Computer", click "Local Users and Groups", click "Users", right click on "Administrator" and set a password. After you create the password you will need to right click on "Administrator" again and select "Properties", then uncheck "Account is disabled". Now you can logout of "temp" login as "Administrator" with the password you created and then go back to "Local Users and Groups" and remove the "temp" account.

3. If you want to use BitLocker on a drive with a windows installation, you will need a TPM, or a USB if your network allows it. If you have tried using a USB and it does not work then most likely Group Policy settings prohibit the use of a USB for this purpose. You will still be able to encrypt other drives, just not the windows installation drive.

Hope all of this helps

• Marked as answer by Niki Han Monday, August 8, 2011 2:49 AM
    Monday, August 1, 2011 8:26 PM
  • Hi,

Added to the second question, I would like you to know there is no way to create another user named Administrator since the user profile in C:\Users\Administrator cannot be changed. It is always associated with the built-in one.

In addition, it is not recommended using built-in Administrator account directly due to security reason. There is a special Group Policy setting called "Admin Approval Mode for the Built-in Administrator account". It is to say except built-in Administrator, all other user created on the computer should be protected by UAC.

Any function is called "run as administrator" function. If you run a program directly, it uses your current account. However, if you right click program, run as administrator, it runs under built-in Administrator account. The elevated mode runs without any restrictions.

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, August 3, 2011 9:52 AM

All replies

• 1. If I understand your question correctly, yes it will ask you which version you would like to install. The disc should have both versions on it unless your copy came with multiple discs.

2. I also like having a local account named "Administrator". Though you cannot create one because there is already a built in one, there is nothing wrong with using the built in one. What I do is simply make a temporary account during the install (call it "temp"), right click on "Computer", click "Local Users and Groups", click "Users", right click on "Administrator" and set a password. After you create the password you will need to right click on "Administrator" again and select "Properties", then uncheck "Account is disabled". Now you can logout of "temp" login as "Administrator" with the password you created and then go back to "Local Users and Groups" and remove the "temp" account.

3. If you want to use BitLocker on a drive with a windows installation, you will need a TPM, or a USB if your network allows it. If you have tried using a USB and it does not work then most likely Group Policy settings prohibit the use of a USB for this purpose. You will still be able to encrypt other drives, just not the windows installation drive.

Hope all of this helps

Monday, August 1, 2011 8:26 PM
  • Hi,

Added to the second question, I would like you to know there is no way to create another user named Administrator since the user profile in C:\Users\Administrator cannot be changed. It is always associated with the built-in one.

In addition, it is not recommended using built-in Administrator account directly due to security reason. There is a special Group Policy setting called "Admin Approval Mode for the Built-in Administrator account". It is to say except built-in Administrator, all other user created on the computer should be protected by UAC.

Any function is called "run as administrator" function. If you run a program directly, it uses your current account. However, if you right click program, run as administrator, it runs under built-in Administrator account. The elevated mode runs without any restrictions.

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, August 3, 2011 9:52 AM