File Access denied: You require permission from username-PC\username to make changes.... RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to transfer a large amount of image files from an old harddrive to my computer, but that msg keeps on popping up. The weird thing is that I was able to transfer about a tenth of the files to my computer, but it won't let me do the rest. What should I do?

It's an old internal drive (Windows XP) that I put into an external hard case... and well, I would like to transfer the files in case this hard drive goes kaput... it's approximately 11 years old. My current computer is Windows 7, I changed the ownership of the files to me and when the msg pops up up, it's telling me to get permission from myself!

Please help!

Thanks!

• Edited by jennifkim Monday, July 6, 2015 4:55 AM
    Monday, July 6, 2015 4:55 AM

Answers

All replies

• it's telling me to get permission from myself!
    ->
    Not weird at all. How should Windows know that "Jenni" on the old machine is the same person as "Jenni" on the new machine? You now need to seize ownership of your folders - see here:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753659.aspx

• Proposed as answer by Frederik Long Wednesday, July 8, 2015 9:18 AM
    Monday, July 6, 2015 7:39 AM
  • That's the thing... I did seize ownership of the folders. 

The weird thing is that it will only let me transfer some of the files... like I said in my previous post, I was only able to transfer about 10%. The rest asked for permission and whatnot. 

Monday, July 6, 2015 5:15 PM
  • Have you tried running icacls to grant full permission to all files?

icacls *.* /grant administrators:F /t

Cheers,

Brian

• Proposed as answer by Deason Wu Friday, July 10, 2015 5:34 AM
    Monday, July 6, 2015 5:30 PM
  • How do I do that?

When I transferred ownership, I just followed what the other websites told me to do, which was:

1. Right Click on the file

2. Properties

3. Securities

4. Advanced

5. Change Permissions, which I did

And then close all the dialogue boxes, as that's what it told me to do... and when I go do all those steps again, it's still in my name...

Oh and it does say that I have full control
    • Edited by jennifkim Monday, July 6, 2015 7:25 PM
    Monday, July 6, 2015 7:24 PM
  • Changing the permissions is not the same as taking ownership. See here for instructions on how to take ownership.

Monday, July 6, 2015 7:38 PM