none
6TO4 Adapter

Question

• I get error #31 with 6TO4 Adapter, though I don't know what's this adaper's function and so I do not know what aspect of the pc isn't working, I just noticed it in the device manager and was wondering how to solve this problem?

It tells me it was installed successfully but couldn't be loaded..

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 7:47 PM

All replies

• I´m having same problem here. The 6TO4 Adapter with a exclamation in device manager.

Windows Vista Beta 2 Build 5384

• Proposed as answer by GeoffH2 Wednesday, February 04, 2009 10:41 AM
    Sunday, July 02, 2006 3:11 AM
  •  Carlos Filho wrote:

I´m having same problem here. The 6TO4 Adapter with a exclamation in device manager.

Windows Vista Beta 2 Build 5384

Got same message here. Vista premium preloaded on HP Pavilion. Found message in knowledge base that said it was of no consequence.

But still...

I tried updating the driver but Windows told me it was the latest version and won't reinstall and the button to reinstall prévious version is not active.

Any way to correct this ?

• Proposed as answer by GeoffH2 Thursday, February 19, 2009 4:44 AM
    Sunday, February 25, 2007 10:34 PM
  • Hi. Keep getting unknown errors when I post so I don't know if this will get in. Have the same problem as the rest of you.Dell Dimension E520 w/Vista Basic and it's less than 2 mos old. Also found a report in my modem that Ipv4 is good but Ipv6 is limited? Is this related? Maybe thats why my connection will get so slow. Starts at a burst of around 400-480kps and then crawls along at 150-220kps. Started a download that initially said 30 min or so and figured cool. Final report estimated finish in over 2hr30min! Gave up and haven't bothered. If someone knows if this driver is important or these two things are related, please let me know. Thank you.
    • Proposed as answer by GeoffH2 Thursday, February 19, 2009 4:45 AM
    Thursday, March 15, 2007 2:29 PM
  • Same problem with my new desktop. So nobody got an answer for the problem that has persisted for a year?
    Tuesday, May 08, 2007 2:13 PM
  • Hi Sid,I'm in excally the same position as you with a dimension 520. Had a lot of compatability probs with my speedtouch 330 modem. Been on to my ISP (orange) no end of times. They have sent me a new software cd that is compatable with Vista  but i still have exclamation marks on 6to4 adapters in Device Manger.  Also crashing on a regular basis with BLUESCREEN. At the minute i am waiting for Orange to get back to me.If they don't sort it  I am going to get on to Dell support for help as well. There customer service is excellent. Regards John
    Sunday, May 13, 2007 7:15 PM
  • In my case, the culprit was Broadcom's network diagnostics utility for the Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller.  I unistalled it and then removed the 6to4 adapter from the device manager.
    Monday, May 28, 2007 5:37 PM
  • Have the same problem as all of you. I have an Acer Aspire E560 Vista Home Premium, about 3 months old. 6to4 adapter has problems and won't update because Windows says its already up to date. I think this6to4 adapter might [im not sure] have an impact on connection, since its some sort of thing between IPv4 and IPv6. Hope a Microsoft rep can help us!
    Thursday, June 07, 2007 12:09 AM
  • Also having the code31 error problem for 6to4 adapter shown in the device manager,using an HP Pavilion 2 months old with vista home premium.The same error also occurs to the microsoft isatap adapter,though i've searched and found that microsoft says that the device is working properly despite the code 31 error.Yet,it's really annoying to have unidentified errors displayed in the device manager...
    Friday, June 15, 2007 9:51 AM
  • I got a similiar problem as well. I'm running Windows Vista Ultimate V6.0.6000.

In Device Manager under "Network adapters" I have written "6TO4 Adapter" with a yellow exclamation mark. When I see its properties it cannot locate its location so I have no idea what it is. Does anyone know anything about it? When I uninstall it, Windows re-installs it again.

Lately (around 2&1/2 weeks ago) the sound on my PC vanished. Windows is still detecting the soundcard, playing music and shows the colour lever as playing. I know it's not a hardware problem as I have another harddrive with Windows XP on it and when I play sound it works well. I tried updating the drivers, re-installing all the audio codecs, (and in case its related to it) the video card driver. No sound from nowhere on Vista and I really don't wish to re-install Vista from scratch. Don't know but could it be related to it?

Thanks.
    • Proposed as answer by vk4eb Friday, September 18, 2009 4:59 AM
    Wednesday, June 27, 2007 4:50 PM
  • hi all,
    this 6TO4 adapter issue seems to be a common problem..! would this be an issue with the ethernet hardware OR the vista software driver ??

-shubham
    • Proposed as answer by Beanbutter2 Saturday, March 17, 2012 9:42 PM
    Saturday, July 07, 2007 4:26 PM
  • i`installed`windows`xp`service`pack`2....and`i`lost`my`audio`on`my`laptop...error`that`shows`in`the`device`manager.....code`31......Plug`and`play`software`device`enumerator`has`a`yellow`exclamation`point.....is`there`any`remedy`for`this?
    Saturday, July 14, 2007 5:49 AM
  • this is wat dat page said is da resolution to da problem... lol

"RESOLUTION

You can safely ignore this error message. This error message does not indicate a problem with the adapter. The adapter will continue to work correctly."

Thursday, August 30, 2007 5:28 PM
  • i have a similar problem as all of you, except i have error code 10, which says that my 6TO4 adapter isnt even starting. my internet has been in and out for the past few days, ive gotten connected to my router, but not to the internet from there. So essentially, i have local only or local with "limited connectivity", which is a bit of a misnomer, as it denotes no connectivity. The ms page is bs but such is life. if anyone has any ideas, im game.
    Monday, September 10, 2007 11:11 PM
  • I've had some interesting challenges with my "Vista" software - real downer after using XP.  One of problems is mentioned by eshcorp.  I've had to keep tabs on my device manager because with 6TO4 Adapter and Isatap they will keep duplicating themselves.  I've gone into device manager and with "view" "hidden devices" found 20 to 30 of 6TO4 and Isatap.   After deleting all of them I discovered they populate every time I open up my dial up connection.

So my work around is keeping tabs on my device manager and clean all the extraneous 6TO4's and Isatap's.  That is until one of the Customer Service gurus from China can come up with the answer....that's where CS is at now taking the place of good American workers.  Go ahead MS bleep me out!!!
    Wednesday, September 12, 2007 1:31 AM
  • My challenge is different, I can't access a wireless network, because my 6to4 adapter keeps deleting itself. I have reloaded it by deleting the others lan adapters, which automatically reinstalls, I see the 6to4 come up and install then as quickly as it installs it deletes itself.

I have a Toshiba A135 laptop, Toship tells that for $50 bucks they will fix the problem, I have only had this laptop since May. I told them this should not be happening to a new system.  Has anyone found a solution to this?

Thursday, September 20, 2007 5:52 PM
  •  

cubanman,

have you discovered anything with your 6to4 adapter problem (error code 10)?

i have the same trouble on my machine. it is an hp pavilion dv9000. interestingly enough, when i looked in device manager, the network controller was missing. only when i uninstalled the 6to4 adapter and restarted did it reappear. it still didn't work, but at least it was there. 6to4 reinstalled itself, but was never able to start.

if anyone else has seen anything, or has any ideas, I would appreciate it.

Wednesday, October 24, 2007 2:33 PM
  • Install sucessful but unable to download.  Device manager also indicate a problem with it.  What is the problem???????????????  windows vista 32-bit system

Wednesday, October 31, 2007 9:25 PM
  •  

RE:jcozart. The problem is very minor. I spoke to a geek squad agent about the problem and the tech told me that its nothing wrong with the system. microsoft is upgrading its INTERNET PROTOCAL VERSION(IPV) http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb726954.aspx and vista is not responding very well to it. Microsoft is working to correct the 6TO4 adapter message problem, but i was assured that it does not affect the system at all. I hope the lynk provides you with some knoledge. 

Thursday, November 01, 2007 11:29 PM
  • Well - at least I can tell you what a 6to4 adapter is. I have the same problem - I'm trying to install a 3 port Firewire adapter (ieee1394A) which isa 6 pin adapter which connects to a 4pin socket on my video cam. After connecting the adapter into the mothbi I get an exclamation mark against each of the 3 ports in the system summary, which means that the adapters are unable to find a suitable driver. Unfortunately windows thnks that I have the latest driver (I tried updating but it says I was up do date) so I'm now in the position that the adapter company say it's windows problem and MS say it's not their fault. In the meantime I'm pulling my hair out cos I want to download some video to edit.!!
    Tuesday, November 06, 2007 10:54 AM
  • Same 6tp4 adapter problem here on my Acer 4000+ Vista hmoe basic.  I too have similar problems to those above;  1) when i get on the internet, it surfs rather fast but slows to a crawl and then drops.  2) from day one my sound has not worked right!!   Most of the time i have no sound   3) and for a while now, I have an icon in my toolbar (bottom right Vista) - says that I may safely remove hardware!!!   I didn't know I was removing any?? - when I dbl click the icon, it brings up my Mass Storage Device -   that's when i noticed the error 31 on the 6yo4 adapter. Any help? thnx

Tuesday, December 04, 2007 6:56 AM
  • My HP Pavilion Vista Home is starting to occasinally lock up; seems to occur most often while high bandwidth is needed across the internet, such as downloading media.....

Only thing that shows up as a problem is the error 31 described in the message thread.   Did the same attempt to update and go the note that the driver is current.

Couple of questions......

Think the 6to4 could be the culprit on the lock-ups?

Is there a fix, if I take the notebook to a repair shop?

Monday, December 31, 2007 9:29 PM
  • I'm getting the same error. ive had Vista since November of 2006 home premium. Ive tryed to uninstall the drivers and reboot and I get the same errors again.. not sure exactly whats going on. Is this part of my  IPV6 connectivity??? the connection says Limited and I'm having so many issues with it. Constently getting hollowed out like no bites are being sent or recieved. the connection acts as if I'm connected at 4.8kb yet i'm connected at 45.6

I try to download a 5 meg file takes 4 hrs to download... whats going on with my connection??
    its all wacky.

Wednesday, January 09, 2008 4:31 AM
  • I have a Toshiba A135 with the 6to4 error that also won't connect to the internet, but mine is duplicating the driver. I have found no solution yet.
    Thursday, February 14, 2008 5:09 PM
  • Note the grammar here. It is as if "settnfires" found the solution and now he thinks he's someone special in that we are all dumb, even through he went looking for the solution himself. I would think we would expect comments of a little bit more maturity here. Even if, as he writes, is most likely true, why does Microsoft issue this false/negative without any explaination?

Saturday, March 01, 2008 3:52 AM
  • 6to4 error10. Ive been researching and have collected some next to useless word docs from MS. I cant acess internet cause I cant access network  Everytime i attempt to download the adapter to starts checking to see if I have latest version. Good lot of use when not on my PC. After looking through dozens of pages I found at least 3 topics on it here.

Lionel Chen you have been helping people with this problem. If you read this can you PLEASE post a link to download the adapter file.

And yes, I do need it. It was working fine til a couple days ago. Ive tried reinstalling it, editting the registry entry and all the usual stuff. The only thing i can think of that I havent done is manually replacing the tcpip6.sys system file. Should i try this or will the system become unstable?

Much thanks. Sorry if i sound arrigant. Ive just spent the last 3 days trying to fix this problem which everyone seems to keep getting ignored on.

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 4:49 AM
  •  

Funny that all you peep’s having connection problems related to 6To4 device adapter. I had just gotten this device error because I caused it to happen by removing some drivers within Vista in safe mode.

However unlike most of you peep’s, I was able to connect to the internet and even tried all applications that access the internet such as VPN programs, and sharing programs.

It maybe that wireless networking is different from line networks, but I can tell you this, I fixed it because I am the type that does not like exclamation icons in my devices LOL!

To solve this problem with 6To4 adapter device with code 31, make sure you do the following:

1). Make sure you have all the updates installed for vista, such as, Important and Recommend updates.

2). [Right Click] my computer icon, and select (properties).

3). Select (Device Manager).

4). [Right Click] on the 6To4 icon, and select (Update Driver Software).

5). Click [Browse my computer for software drivers].

6). Click [Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer].

You should see the Microsoft 6To4 adapter listed?

If not you must uncheck the [] box show compatible hardware.

7). Then scroll down the list of Manufacture until you find (Microsoft), NOT Microsoft Corporation!

8). Click on (Microsoft) as the Manufacture and scroll down about two clicks, you should see 6To4 adapter.

9). [Left Click] on Microsoft 6To4 adapter and (Click Next), it should load the drivers as normally.

Hope this helps!

B.M

• Proposed as answer by Shelipops Monday, May 07, 2012 10:13 AM
    Tuesday, March 25, 2008 1:37 PM
  • the simple solution are often the best

Monday, April 07, 2008 10:30 PM
  • OK so I figured out what this 6to4 adapter is. Vista will install this automatically when you set up a PPPoE or PPTP  connection (usually it's an Internet Connection). Anyway the purpose for this adapter is to emulate the IPv6 over IPv4 in case the user would ever require it.

For more info on IPv6 (Internet Protocol version 6) read here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv6

This adapter does not interfere with the computer's operation and can be ignored. Usually, people who NEVER set up a PPPoE or PPTP connection won't get this adapter installed. I (for example) am using my LAN to connect to the Internet so I don't have it, but a few days ago I tried using a manual connection (PPPoE) to try something and it got installed. Now, even though I deleted my PPPoE connection, I still have that adapter installed.

If you stop using your PPPoE or PPTP connection AND delete it (the connection), then you can remove the 6to4 adapter without it coming back again.
    Tuesday, April 08, 2008 11:07 AM
  • please tell me the solution.

Regards,

SENTHIL KUMAR

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 3:41 PM
  • had the same problem. after installing my system new it worked properly. after installing sp1 it was the same error.

Thursday, June 12, 2008 1:24 PM
  • So bout this 6to4 Adapter, I understand that it only should install on a PPPOE connection, however, the thing that pops up for me is a "New Hardware Found"  Then it wants to install the adapter... Unfortuneatly it won't install because it cant find the drivers...

Any Ideas?

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 10:33 AM
  • For all those with this 6T04 error go into the prperties of your network card and uncheck the internet protacol version 6 and then uninstall the 6T04 adapter and this goes away. It is primarily used in a business network and is a different protacol than we home users use. It is also a newer protacol that is rarely used in the everday home computers.

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 3:34 AM
  •  eshcorp wrote:

I get error #31 with 6TO4 Adapter, though I don't know what's this adaper's function and so I do not know what aspect of the pc isn't working, I just noticed it in the device manager and was wondering how to solve this problem?

Friday, June 27, 2008 10:38 PM
  •  

As far as the 6 to 4 Adapter issue, it can be  deleted and it does not affect anything on the computer.  As you delete it after a couple of computer reboots it will only reappear,but it does not pose any problems to begin with,so as long as the computer works fine,why worry about it.Looks like it is just an attention grabber to see if these geeks at Microsoft can solve it.  Besides Vista Sucks.Stay with XP if you like the 150 updates from Microsoft Update.
    Monday, August 11, 2008 1:36 AM
  • yep yep altho the exact same thing with mine home premium 6.0 altho i dont think the sound problems are related anyway if it is related to 6to4 message could you let me know mang? seriously irritating i cant listen to music

Saturday, August 23, 2008 1:21 PM
  • i doubt it, could you let me know please if the 6to4 is really responsible for no sound?

Saturday, August 23, 2008 1:25 PM
  • I have tried to follow advise to reistall driver and I still get the same message,"This device cannot start.(code10)

I have also tried to install updates from the internet for Microsoft 6to4 Adaptor and get the same message, "you have an uptodate version" I don't understand what this devise does and if I need it or not.

Sunday, August 24, 2008 6:38 PM
  • How do you go into properties of the network card? I look in the device manager and all I see is network but no card

Sunday, August 24, 2008 7:13 PM
  •  

I went into devmgmt.msc, checked show hidden devices.

Right-clicked on Microsoft 6to4 adapter and chose uninstall

Then I added it again with:

Action -> Add legacy hardware -> Network -> Microsoft -> Microsoft 6to4 adapter

Now it is there with any yellow exclamation mark.

I hope this helps.

/Niklas

• Proposed as answer by TinaT68 Tuesday, August 17, 2010 3:19 AM
    Monday, August 25, 2008 7:45 AM
  •  

Even i am not able to solve the prob.m nd i m afraid 2 un install it as may  it cud create a prob. wid ma internet server
    Monday, August 25, 2008 11:21 AM
  • i uninstalled the 6to4 adapter but i have 2 of them, one was internet protacol version 6 and the other one is a 4 what do i do? do i remove it to
    Friday, September 12, 2008 5:02 AM
  •  dolliebaby wrote:
    i uninstalled the 6to4 adapter but i have 2 of them, one was internet protacol version 6 and the other one is a 4 what do i do? do i remove it to

I only removed this one "Microsoft 6to4 adapter" and then re-installed it (see above).

Saturday, September 13, 2008 12:31 AM
  • Excellent explaination, but the problem keeps on... "Windows found a driver software for your device, but encountered an error while attempting installing it"  "Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device (Code 31)".

Thursday, September 25, 2008 9:50 PM
  • I had a problem with this adapter in as much as i had two with asterixes my son in law said uninstall one and the problem was resolved now device manger is all clear hope this helps some others

Friday, September 26, 2008 10:11 AM
  •  

Yes I have the same problem as you I got error #31 with 6TO4 Adapter.

Me too it tell me it was funtionning good but I have the exclamation mark on that driver device.

I don't know how to solve the problem. Can you help me????Please?????

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 12:25 AM
  •  

I have the same problem and I would like to solve it as soon as possible. Thak you very much
    Tuesday, September 30, 2008 12:26 AM
  •  eshcorp wrote:

I get error #31 with 6TO4 Adapter, though I don't know what's this adaper's function and so I do not know what aspect of the pc isn't working, I just noticed it in the device manager and was wondering how to solve this problem?

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 12:33 AM
  •  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv6

this link will tell all you need . hope it helps

Monday, October 27, 2008 8:22 PM
  •  

go to this link  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv6

this will tell you want to know
    Monday, October 27, 2008 8:27 PM
  • Granted there is currently no one using the IPv6 (we still have a bit of room left on the IPv4 addies) however this error can crop up multiple times on a person's comp. In my case it prevents me from networking with another computer in my house. BUT using PPOE I can still access the internet.  For the most part it does seem harmless, however it would be nice if it could be actually deleted or intstalled correctly. As of now I have four 6TO4 Adapters and four ISTAPS that are disabled.

Thursday, November 20, 2008 8:36 PM
  • well I have the same problem now, but it won't let me on the internet at all, just started yesterday
    Monday, November 24, 2008 2:26 AM
  • my problem started yesterday with no sound. I tried system restore as I had installed updates. System restore did not work properly. Now internet is very slow. I went into device manager to check for problems + the 6TO4 is the only device with probs.I use a wireless connection so I am going to try removing 6TO4 (all 3 of them).If this fails I may have to do a full destructive restore..........wish me luck....lol

Thursday, November 27, 2008 2:49 AM
  •  Scott Omega wrote:
    Granted there is currently no one using the IPv6 (we still have a bit of room left on the IPv4 addies) however this error can crop up multiple times on a person's comp. In my case it prevents me from networking with another computer in my house. BUT using PPOE I can still access the internet.  For the most part it does seem harmless, however it would be nice if it could be actually deleted or intstalled correctly. As of now I have four 6TO4 Adapters and four ISTAPS that are disabled.

jthree2001 wrote:
    well I have the same problem now, but it won't let me on the internet at all, just started yesterday

Don't know if ya's have tried this already but the first thought that springs to mind is that ya's may wanna check that any Firewall's your using are not blocking your connection to other PC's or internet...

I'm looking into this issue myself for reference sake but for a totally unrelated subject.

The only other thing I could suggest is un-checking the tcp/ip Version 6 from the network device/connection setup.  Just to make sure that your computer is not trying to communicate to your router/network in Ver6, as with this being messed up, ya might find that your computer is trying to translate from ver 4 to 6 and vice versa when it could be doing the workload in pure Ver 4 mode.  (I know it won't fix the issue outright, but these suggestions are a start.)

Saturday, November 29, 2008 3:01 PM
  • To everyone, on this thread - Try installing broadcom 802.11b/g wlan, Its a freeware software and is working well ......
    Monday, December 01, 2008 3:54 AM
  • It's not used so no it's not important. Do the following:

1. Go to the Control Panel and select Network & Sharing center.
    2. Click manage network connections and disable your dial up/broadband if you use wireless. Disable wireless if you use dial up/broadband.
    3. Right click your network connection and then left click  properties.
    4. Uncheck the Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)
    5. Click OK and exit.

This will eliminate connection/hangup issues as well.

If you are not sure google IPv6 6to4. It basically works with how ip addressess are issued, and we won't be needing it any time soon. For example:

IPv4: 4,294,967,296 addresses          (what we use now)
    IPv6: 340,282,366,920,938,463,463,374,607,431,768,211,456 addresses. (what we'll use in the future)
    • Proposed as answer by Try_This Wednesday, February 25, 2009 3:42 AM
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 3:40 AM
  • i have this problem as well... and now my Wlan is not functioning...

Anyone able to help out there?
    Monday, March 23, 2009 8:18 AM
  • It's not used so no it's not important. Do the following:

1. Go to the Control Panel and select Network & Sharing center.
    2. Click manage network connections and disable your dial up/broadband if you use wireless. Disable wireless if you use dial up/broadband.
    3. Right click your network connection and then left click  properties.
    4. Uncheck the Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)
    5. Click OK and exit.

This will eliminate connection/hangup issues as well.

If you are not sure google IPv6 6to4. It basically works with how ip addressess are issued, and we won't be needing it any time soon. For example:

IPv4: 4,294,967,296 addresses          (what we use now)
    IPv6: 340,282,366,920,938,463,463,374,607,431,768,211,456 addresses. (what we'll use in the future)
    I did exactly as he said, and it worked perfectly to fix the problem. Thank you!
    Monday, April 27, 2009 10:51 PM
  • Remove all of 4/16 updates, I am sure there is only one you have to remove but thats what i did and i can now get on the internet with all the original default settings and the settings i recently changed. stupid updates!
    Thursday, May 07, 2009 12:55 PM
  • I have the same problem !!!

Can somebody tell me how to solve ????

Sunday, July 12, 2009 6:22 AM
  • I get error #31 with 6TO4 Adapter, though I don't know what's this adaper's function and so I do not know what aspect of the pc isn't working, I just noticed it in the device manager and was wondering how to solve this problem?

Tuesday, July 14, 2009 8:02 PM
  • Ok I had the same problem since yesterday. Here is what you are going to do.

1. go to your updates Icon on the right hand corner and double click

2. scroll down on your left hand side and click on Installed Updates.

3. delete all the "Update for Microsoft Windows" except for 4 which you won't be able to delete.

4. Restart your computer and double check that your 6To4 adapter is now gone from your Network adapters list from the device manager.

5. Instead of having a 6To4 adapter you should have "Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN or something similar.

6. If you don't want this to happen again, disable automatic updates because Microsoft has some kind of error with their 6To4 adapter.

Good Luck

F. Hernandez
    IT Admin
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 6:21 PM
  • That is a very ignorant thing to tell people. Please get educated before you tell other people to delete components and even worse, a registry edit that will not allow for the future upcoming upgrades. IPv6 is what internet communications will be upgrading to. IPv4 is what we are currently using, i.e. your IP address is 4 segments ex: 192.168.1.1. IPv6 is the future upgrade which will look like 192.168.1.1.1.1.
    • Proposed as answer by gewitz Friday, April 30, 2010 4:27 AM
    Sunday, September 27, 2009 8:53 PM
  • IPv6 is the future idea of adding more IP's. In the 80's and early 90's the internet was used primarily for the military. There was not many others online. Now there are millions of people worldwide online, so we will be upgrading from IPv4 to IPv6. So it doesn't have anything to do with your download/upload rates. Try scanning your computer for malware/spyware.
    Sunday, September 27, 2009 8:56 PM
  • Did it but comes up with the same error unable to load driver?? is this problem mainly with HP pavilons if it is then i think it may be a hardware problem
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 7:38 AM
  • Does this problem only arise with HP pavilons? because i have a brand new pavilon thats already coming with errors :/
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 7:47 AM
  • I just posted this in another thread on 6to4 adapters.

I've had this problem on my HP6375us Pavillion Notebook off and on for sometime. For some reason, the system and Vista add multiple copies of the Lan, Wireless, 6to4 and isatap adapters. To see this, open device manager, open the view menu, click Show Hidden Devices, expand the Network Adapters Folder. There should only be one copy of these adapters, uninstall all the rest. This has solved my problem but it does come back. I saw this solution on Technet forums a few years ago but I can't find the thread now.
    Friday, October 16, 2009 3:15 PM
  • I have an HP Pavillion Elite and know that the the problem appeared just three days ago. Four days ago I happened to look at the Device Manager so I know it wasn't there then. I get an error "10". I don't understand what it does. I uninstalled it. So far the item has not returned. Should I worry?

Sunday, October 18, 2009 5:28 PM
  • Ok, so I have read all of the threads and followed the advice:
    uninstalled 6to4
    deleted the dialup connection
    unchecked TPv6 in network manager

ALL of this and I still have the same problem:
    HP pavillion running vista that freezes the internet when I use a search engine or click on a link the search engine has found. This was not caused by an update (even did a system restore) and occurs with all search engines and with IE and Firefox. So, any suggestions now?
    Monday, October 19, 2009 1:18 AM
  • So since June of 06 until now November of 09 there is still no fix for the 6to4 adapter?

Acer Aspire 7720
    Sunday, November 22, 2009 10:45 PM
  • well peeps , i thought i might be alone here, but not..lol. I have an Acer Aspire 6530 that has not had the adaptor working since i installed software!!  i t did bother me for a while then i forgot about it. this is now 16 months, update tells me its latest and that device is not working!!!!!!!!! to be honest chaps its peeing me off. every attempt to get it working fails. I wouldnt worry too much but as 2 other drivers have gone down recently that i cant sort, now it is!! When are the people responsible going to take note ????

Saturday, June 05, 2010 12:40 AM
  • p.s. if by any chance somebody knows how to get a 'TP-LINK WA701ND ' working as a range expander could they let me know coz written blurb is rubbish ,lol ta

Saturday, June 05, 2010 12:44 AM
  • My HP Pavilion Vista Home is starting to occasinally lock up; seems to occur most often while high bandwidth is needed across the internet, such as downloading media.....

Only thing that shows up as a problem is the error 31 described in the message thread.   Did the same attempt to update and go the note that the driver is current.

Couple of questions......

Think the 6to4 could be the culprit on the lock-ups?

Is there a fix, if I take the notebook to a repair shop?

bloody microsft

Saturday, June 05, 2010 12:49 AM
  • everyone seems peed off..hope you fixed it.. wish i could...
    Saturday, June 05, 2010 12:52 AM
  • thanks, tried that with 6to4 adaptor, microsoft isatap adaptor17, and microsoft adaptor#6, to no avail

Saturday, June 05, 2010 1:02 AM
  • So since June of 06 until now November of 09 there is still no fix for the 6to4 adapter?

Acer Aspire 7720

thanks to everyone writing to this forum we have discovered thanks to the knowledgeable amongst us that this 6to4 adaptor that goes down on every make of pc is not really important..Why the ____ microsoft couldnt say that , no, i'm not going there.. Thanks everyone...
    Saturday, June 05, 2010 1:10 AM
  • surprised?

Saturday, June 05, 2010 1:11 AM

Acer Aspire 7720

thanks to everyone writing to this forum we have discovered thanks to the knowledgeable amongst us that this 6to4 adaptor that goes down on every make of pc is not really important..Why the ____ microsoft couldnt say that , no, i'm not going there.. Thanks everyone...

As long as we are longing for greater things within Pc world then the likes of microsoft and apple(not deserving of capitals) will treat us as stupid, very much ,beads to natives' mentality..  Dont cave in to them ... lol,
    Saturday, June 05, 2010 1:16 AM
  • Mee too maybe hp is a damn culprit. I think I'd be  switching to an apple next year. Microsoft keeps letting me down continuously.
    Friday, June 11, 2010 4:14 AM
  •  I think are you getting any wireless, cuz I can't since this damn thing occured.

I am using Hp Pavilion dv-41275mx Notebook, which runs on Vista home basic and is one yr old today

Friday, June 11, 2010 4:17 AM
  • Code 31

This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)
    Recommended resolution

Update the driver

You may be prompted to provide the path of the driver. Windows may have the driver built-in, or may still have the driver files installed from the last time that you set up the device. However, sometimes, it will open the New Hardware Wizard which may ask for the driver. If you are asked for the driver and you do not have it, you can try to download the latest driver from the hardware vendor’s Web site.

In the device Properties dialog box, click the Driver tab, and then click Update Driver to start the Hardware Update Wizard. Follow the instructions to update the driver.

Thursday, July 15, 2010 5:18 PM
  • 6to4 Adapter is basically just a virtual adapter which microsoft has developed to change the IPv6 to IPv4 internally.

There is some compatibility issue with Vista (what a surprise, considering Vista is so stable with everything else :D) and so it keeps on showing these errors and warning. If you're not using any specific device or connection that uses IPv6 connectivity exclusively, then just disable all the 6to4 adapters from the device manager and just leave them to rot.

No idea when will microsoft decides to fix it, but at least its not causing any other problem, so lets be thankful for that.

Haven't seen this problem in 7 yet. Anyone has 6to4 issues in Windows 7?

Thursday, July 29, 2010 7:24 PM
  • July of 2010 and still no go :D
    • Proposed as answer by Star107gate Thursday, February 24, 2011 3:16 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Star107gate Thursday, February 24, 2011 3:17 AM
    Thursday, July 29, 2010 7:25 PM
  • I have the Problem ith Windows 7 64bit. Microsoft release a hotfix

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/980486/en-us

• Proposed as answer by Star107gate Thursday, February 24, 2011 3:21 AM
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 3:17 AM
  • I disagree with the suggestion that the Microsoft 6to4 Adapter error 31 has anything to do with Firewire 6-pin to 4-pin conversion.  Instead, Microsoft 6to4 Adapter is meant for the conversion of IPV6 protocol to IPV4 protocol (the older protocol lasted 30 years and the world has run out of unique IP addresses - please see esco084's posting).

In another thread on the same subject:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-hardware/6to4-adapter-error-code-31/e1a44b72-380b-4457-9451-d221312db175

someone has managed to resolve the problem by downloading and running Microsoft's "Fixit" for USB devices' problems:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Tips-for-solving-problems-with-USB-devices

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 12:46 PM
  • Thanks for your suggestion to use  Microsoft's "Fixit" for USB devices... it worked to fix the problem on a Dell Inspiron 530 (running Vista).  
    IT Help Desk guy
    Friday, April 01, 2011 6:52 PM
  • 6to4 adapter did not work properly
    Friday, January 20, 2012 4:54 PM
  • This device must function differently for various models of laptops, but for my Acer it drives my wireless Sierra network adapter and was as simple to repair the driver as Badmouth has suggested. Ill keep checking it though, cos as some of you have said it might randomly disable itself.

Having said all that, im still having trouble getting the adapter to pick up available wireless networks... when i go to "Manage Wireless networks", it tells me that the wireless has been disabled. I have already tried the external on/off LAN button which a message displays as "wireless LAN enabled", but the control panel message still remains.

Can someone please tell me how to enable it and start connecting to my wireless modem/router.

Cheers!

Monday, May 07, 2012 10:35 AM