none
Just how long does the 'Completing Installation' step take?

Question

• I just bought the Home Premium 64bit OEM version of Vista, and the install has gone quickly and flawlessly.  However, I am now on the 'Completing Installation' phase, and it has been there for over 4 hours.  My hard drive light is on constantly, and the 'Completing Installation ...' is still animating, which leads me to assume that it's still actually installing something, and not frozen.  I beta tested RC2 on this same system, and I do not remember that version taking nearly so long.  Has anyone else experienced this?

EDIT:  I seem to have solved the problem.  I have two hard drives; An 80 gig that I like to reserve for operating systems and program files, and a 200 gig that I reserve for media storage.  After trying three times to install Vista on the 80 gig drive, I finally decided to try to install it on the 200gig, and it was up and running in about 15 minutes. 

Saturday, February 03, 2007 6:14 AM

Answers

• For x64 Bit based computers, you need such 200 GB hard drives because during Windows installation, expansion of files takes very huge amount of space depending on your computer specifications, once it's 64 bit, so Windows Vista to install most suitable components to your computer. For example, if you have a video card over 128 MB and supported by vista, Windows Aero will be installed, else for older cards, it won't be installed and so on.

Good luck

Saturday, February 03, 2007 1:01 PM

All replies

• For x64 Bit based computers, you need such 200 GB hard drives because during Windows installation, expansion of files takes very huge amount of space depending on your computer specifications, once it's 64 bit, so Windows Vista to install most suitable components to your computer. For example, if you have a video card over 128 MB and supported by vista, Windows Aero will be installed, else for older cards, it won't be installed and so on.

Good luck

Saturday, February 03, 2007 1:01 PM
  • Thanks for that information.  I wish that was written down somewhere in the setup guide, because I wasted a lot of time trying to figure out what was wrong.
    Monday, February 12, 2007 6:55 AM
  • BLAH !!!, lols i un partitioned my drive to get the 250gb, and tried installing it, still did the same thing....... what HDD were u using when u tried installing and didnt work, compared to the one that did work ?

i think its a HDD problem rather den a space prob
    Thursday, February 15, 2007 10:17 PM