none
Window 7 Home Premium 64-Bit explorer.exe keeps crashing

Question

• I've already uninstalled all the USB drivers and allowed the OS to reinstall them.  It seems to happen most often upon inserting a USB Plug-And-Play device but also will happen if I have a Windows Explorer window or two already open and try to open another one.  It's also intermittent...may happen right after a start up or hours after the computer has been on.  May happen with no other apps running or with many.  I'm sure there is a dump file or crash report somewhere that will tell me what's causing it but I don't have the tools or knowledge to read it.
    ~Tina
    Friday, May 27, 2011 5:06 PM

All replies

• When explorer crashes, you can find a dump file under C:\Windows\Minidump, try locating it and upload it using MS skydrive, once done post the link here so other's could analyse it 
    Saturday, May 28, 2011 1:44 AM
  • Dump file from 5/25/2011 found in C:\LocalDumps here: http://j8o5ea.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pJ9v8HPwE_Sap_iR43J72Kq-6Kxx-GEIGmtOIlTuy1zTXxdTvyE7X0bTcWLh3Itt2xh9BolE7htepfbOTdic1umUgtilhB6i0/explorer.exe.948.dmp?download&psid=1 

I don't have a C:\Windows\Minidump directory.

~Tina
    Saturday, May 28, 2011 3:12 AM
  • Hi,

According the issue, I would like to confirm some detail with you:

1.       Did you install any third-party software before the problem occur?

2.       Did you try to scan the virus with any security software? For example, the Microsoft Security Essentials.

3.       Did you try to create a new account and check the issue? If you did, what is the result?

Beginning of the troubleshooting, I suggest that you may perform a Clean Boot

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Notice: After checking, If some programs have been disabled, we can re-enable them later.

If the problem still appear, please use SFC tool to scan your computer.

If the problem persists, please collect the following DLL information:

1.       Download the Process Explorer form the following :

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653

2.       Run Process Explorer, click Agree to open it.

3.       Click View on the Tool menu, and select “Show Lower Pane”.

4.      Click View on the Tool menu, click “Lowe Pane View”, and select “DLLs”.

5.       Try to duplicate the problem.

6.       Then highlight “Explorer.EXE” in the left pane.

7.       Click File in the Toole menu, and then select “Save As…”.

8.       Save “Explorer.EXE” and upload it via SkyDrive, then post a link here.

I understand that this may be a lot of information to ask for at one time. However, by collecting this information now, it will help us move more quickly toward a solution.

Best Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, June 02, 2011 7:12 AM