none
How to remove Microsoft.XboxGameCallableUI AppxPackage RRS feed

• Question

• What: I am attempting to remove the Microsoft.XboxGameCallableUI from Server 2016 v1607 (Build 14393.2068).

Why: We have to document all software packages on our servers, and I can't easily justify having and Xbox UI on a server.  "Not smart enough to uninstall" is also an unacceptable justification.

How:

"Remove-AppxPackage" results in a failure due to the inability to uninstall on a per-user basis.  -AllUsers switch does not appear to work in v1607

"Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage" results in a failure due to incorrect parameter.

XboxGameCallable is not visible in the "Turn Windows features on or off" menu.

Attempting Remove-AppxPackage

PS C:\Windows\system32> Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers *Microsoft.XboxGameCallableUI* | Remove-AppxPackage

Remove-AppxPackage : Deployment failed with HRESULT: 0x80073CFA, Removal failed. Please contact your software vendor.
    (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80073CFA)
    error 0x80070032: AppX Deployment Remove operation on package
    Microsoft.XboxGameCallableUI_1000.14393.0.0_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy from:
    C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.XboxGameCallableUI_cw5n1h2txyewy failed. This app is part of Windows and cannot be
    uninstalled on a per-user basis. An administrator can attempt to remove the app from the computer using Turn Windows
    Features on or off. However, it may not be possible to uninstall the app.
    NOTE: For additional information, look for [ActivityId] fd123d66-ace1-0001-0f69-19fde1acd301 in the Event Log or use
    the command line Get-AppxLog -ActivityID fd123d66-ace1-0001-0f69-19fde1acd301
    At line:1 char:60
    + ... Package -AllUsers *Microsoft.XboxGameCallableUI* | Remove-AppxPackage
    +                                                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : WriteError: (Microsoft.XboxG...l_cw5n1h2txyewy:String) [Remove-AppxPackage], IOException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : DeploymentError,Microsoft.Windows.Appx.PackageManager.Commands.RemoveAppxPackageCommand

Attempting Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage

PS C:\Windows\system32> Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -online -PackageName Microsoft.XboxGameCallableUI_1000.14393.0.0_n
    eutral_cw5n1h2txyewy

Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage : The parameter is incorrect.
    At line:1 char:1
    + Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -online -PackageName Microsoft.XboxGame ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage], PSArgumentException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.Dism.Commands.RemoveAppxProvisionedPackageCommand

PS C:\Windows\system32> Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -online -PackageName Microsoft.XboxGameCallableUI
    Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage : The parameter is incorrect.
    At line:1 char:1
    + Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -online -PackageName Microsoft.XboxGame ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage], PSArgumentException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.Dism.Commands.RemoveAppxProvisionedPackageCommand

Please advise Microsoft.XboxGameCallableUI can be removed from Server 2016 v1607

Wednesday, February 28, 2018 5:14 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Based on my research, I suppose Microsoft.XboxGameCallableUI is related to Xbox Live Auth Manager and Xbox Live Game Save service and cannot be removed by default. Also, I would suggest you open up a case with Microsoft Technical Support to see if they could get more information regarding this problem: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/worldwide.aspx

Thanks for your understanding and cooperation.

Best Regards,
    Albert

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by SinecureLife Friday, November 30, 2018 6:49 PM
    Monday, March 5, 2018 8:20 AM

All replies

• Hi,

>> This app is part of Windows and cannot be uninstalled on a per-user basis. An administrator can attempt to remove the app from the computer using Turn Windows Features on or off. However, it may not be possible to uninstall the app.

>> Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -online -PackageName Microsoft.XboxGameCallableUI_1000.14393.0.0_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy
    Please have a try to run Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online to validate if Microsoft.XboxGameCallableUI_1000.14393.0.0_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy exists.

If you need further help, please feel free to let us know.

Best Regards,
    Albert

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by SinecureLife Friday, November 30, 2018 6:48 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by SinecureLife Friday, November 30, 2018 6:49 PM
    Thursday, March 1, 2018 5:40 AM
  • Hi,

Please have a try to run Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online to validate if Microsoft.XboxGameCallableUI_1000.14393.0.0_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy exists.

If you need further help, please feel free to let us know.

Best Regards,
    Albert

Albert,

Thank you for taking the time to respond.  I ran Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online and got nothing:

PS C:\Windows\system32> Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | Select PackageName
    PS C:\Windows\system32>

I suspect this means that no apps are provisioned.  However, how is XboxGameCallable being installed?  

PS C:\Windows\system32> Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers *Microsoft.XboxGameCallableUI* | Select name, PackageFullName

Name                         PackageFullName
    ----                         ---------------
    Microsoft.XboxGameCallableUI Microsoft.XboxGameCallableUI_1000.14393.0.0_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy

While not a "AppxProvisionedPackage", the result is still that this - and 19 other applications - is being provisioned for every user on Server 2016 v1607.  I would like this behavior to stop.

>> This app is part of Windows and cannot be uninstalled on a per-user basis. An administrator can attempt to remove the app from the computer using Turn Windows Features on or off. However, it may not be possible to uninstall the app.

I cannot deprovision, uninstall, nor turn off Windows Features on Microsoft.XboxGameCallableUI.  The last option is that "it may not be possible to uninstall the app".  I would like to clarify if this is indeed the case.

Thursday, March 1, 2018 5:36 PM
  • Hi,

Based on my research, I suppose Microsoft.XboxGameCallableUI is related to Xbox Live Auth Manager and Xbox Live Game Save service and cannot be removed by default. Also, I would suggest you open up a case with Microsoft Technical Support to see if they could get more information regarding this problem: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/worldwide.aspx

Thanks for your understanding and cooperation.

Best Regards,
    Albert

• Marked as answer by SinecureLife Friday, November 30, 2018 6:49 PM
    Monday, March 5, 2018 8:20 AM
  • So I had this same issue today and found that with DISM, it can be removed:

to get a list of installed packages:

dism /online /get-provisionedappxpackages | select-string packagename

then for each packagename, you can remove them as such:

dism /online /remove-provisionedappxpackage /packagename:Microsoft.XboxApp_2017.113.1250.0_neutral_~_8wekybb3d8wbbe

etc etc.

so basically

dism /online /remove-provisionedappxpackage /packagename:(insert packagename here)

• Proposed as answer by TFOoooo Friday, July 26, 2019 4:23 PM
    Thursday, May 10, 2018 11:59 AM