none
windows 7 freeze when I try to watch video.

Question

• Hi everybody..

I've installed windows 7 build 7000. I've Intel 915 chipset motherboard with intel GMA 900 graphics. I've updated my graphic driver via windows update. Now when I try to watch video, windows 7 got freeze and all I've to do is a hard restart. anybody have any idea ? please help me..
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 7:35 AM

Answers

• Bad news for you im afraid from the release notes

Video drivers

Systems which use XDDM drivers may completely stop responding in certain scenarios. The computer will not respond to CTRL+ALT+DELETE and you will have to cycle the power to restart the computer, with the attendant risk of loss of unsaved data.

Some activities which have been demonstrated to trigger this issue include, but are not limited to:

• Using Winsat.exe or using the Rate and improve your computer’s performance tool.

• Changing multi-monitor configurations

• DVD or other video playback

To avoid this, do not use XDDM drivers, but find an appropriate WDDM driver instead. If your video chipset does not have a WDDM driver (such as the Intel 915), use a VGA driver or an GPU that supports WDDM drivers.

If this issue occurs at setup, either avoid unattended setup or uninstall the XDDM driver and use a VGA driver until setup is complete.

However there are a few threads here where people are facing similar problems and are trying to find workarounds.

Thursday, January 15, 2009 7:42 AM

All replies

• Bad news for you im afraid from the release notes

Video drivers

Systems which use XDDM drivers may completely stop responding in certain scenarios. The computer will not respond to CTRL+ALT+DELETE and you will have to cycle the power to restart the computer, with the attendant risk of loss of unsaved data.

Some activities which have been demonstrated to trigger this issue include, but are not limited to:

• Using Winsat.exe or using the Rate and improve your computer’s performance tool.

• Changing multi-monitor configurations

• DVD or other video playback

To avoid this, do not use XDDM drivers, but find an appropriate WDDM driver instead. If your video chipset does not have a WDDM driver (such as the Intel 915), use a VGA driver or an GPU that supports WDDM drivers.

If this issue occurs at setup, either avoid unattended setup or uninstall the XDDM driver and use a VGA driver until setup is complete.

However there are a few threads here where people are facing similar problems and are trying to find workarounds.

Thursday, January 15, 2009 7:42 AM
  • can you tell me where can i find wddm driver for gma 900 ? please..
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 7:48 AM
  • From Wikipedia:

GMA 900

This IGP is capable of running Windows Vista’s Aero interface and certified as DirectX 9 compliant. However no WDDM driver has been made publicly available for this chipset. This is claimed to be due to the lack of a "hardware scheduler" in the GMA chipsets.[59]

Best i can advise just now is watching the other threads and see if a workaround is managed.

this is the current best ideas that have been found, but i would honestly look through the threads yourself and find the similar ones, intel 855 915 and watch them as there are quite a lot of people all trying to get these working, and thats where the results will get posted.

Possible solution1: Install Vista and use drivermax (freeware) to extract these 855GME driver. Then install Windows7 and install this driver with drivermax again. Works

Possible solution 2: Install the latest XP driver from Intel, 14.19.50.
    -Boot in safe mode, extract the driver and install then manual with the device manager. Do a new hardware search. Reboot --> F8 ---> choose disable driver signatur. Disable the second yellow graphic driver. works

Thursday, January 15, 2009 8:01 AM
  • I've tried second solution... I'm getting two drivers installed. Not getting yellow symbol on any driver.... :( .. for first solution, I've to install vista ? there isn't extracted driver available ?
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 8:47 AM
  • There should be no yellow ! , having a yellow ! on a piece of hardware means it is not working properly.

I havent yet seen a link to extracted 915 drivers, sorry.
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 8:49 AM
  • yeah.. but my device manager shows both drivers are working properly. There isn't a yellow symbol in any driver. I've installed win2k_xp14.25.50 in windows 7.
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 8:52 AM
  • hi sanginus.. thanks for all the reply...

I've installed 855gm_vista_driver 855GM extracted drivers.. it now shows (XDDM) drivers in device manager. But still my windows freeze when I start video.. I've also installed K-Lite codec pack....would there be any problem with it. ?
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 9:14 AM
  • ok this might help with the videos, but remember its a workaround, so it may not.

Right click the desktop, choose SCREEN RESOLUTION.
    Look for "ADVANCED SETTINGS"
    Choose the troubleshooting tab
    Click "CHANGE SETTINGS"
    Move the bar left untill Direct 3D is disabled
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 9:19 AM
  • Hi sanginius...

I've installed 855GM driver.. and its working good.. but I see some jerks in video. But I think its okay for temporary solution.. I will try the last solution you gave me.. okay if there are other solutions, please post here...

Thanks

Dhaval
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 12:10 PM
  • I've disabled direct 3D as you told me.. but it is degrading the quality of video..
    Friday, January 16, 2009 5:10 AM
  • there is a tradeoff for hacking around the problem.... sometimes things wont be perfect

Friday, January 16, 2009 2:03 PM
  • guys... still having problem after I've try all solutions you've posted.. help me...
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 6:25 AM
  • you've reached the end of all curent work arounds for that chipset.  Your just like us now.... out of luck until something else manifests itself.    Keep dropping by the forums and mebbe a solution will appear in the coming weeks.
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 6:43 PM
  • okay... I've reported this problem to MS. 
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 6:46 PM
  • Hi guys... I've reported my problem to MS. But they've not reply me back. Anybody have any idea what is the solution of this problem. 
    Friday, January 23, 2009 4:54 AM
  • Microsoft is aware of the problem; that's why it's mentioned in the release notes.

Personally I've found I get better performance using the default Windows VGA driver than the XPDM Vista/XP drivers with the acceleration cranked down.

I've been in contact with Intel, who don't have any intention of supporting their older chips in Win7. None of the older chips are hardware complaint to qualify for a WDDM driver, so there's not a lot they could do anyway.

We basically have to hold out hope that MS will fix the broken XPDM system in Win7.

Check out these other relate threads:

Dell 700m Video Driver Problems

XPDM Discussion Thread

Friday, January 23, 2009 6:40 AM
  • To dhavalyoganandi

Unfortunately, there is no WDDM driver for GMA 900. Because Intel refused to do so...

And, Microsoft will not reply a test user personally. I've already reported this GMA 900 issue twice.
    Sunday, February 01, 2009 11:52 PM
  • I've also reported the issue. But MS is not replying to any query..
    Monday, February 02, 2009 3:21 AM
  • Microsoft have stated that they wont respond to anything sent to them through feedback, there is just too much going in for them to even think about responding. All you can do is wait and see what happens i suspect.
    Monday, February 02, 2009 3:22 AM
  • alright.. They should tell us how long we have to wait?
    Monday, February 02, 2009 3:27 AM
  • Payton.Liu said:

To dhavalyoganandi

Unfortunately, there is no WDDM driver for GMA 900. Because Intel refused to do so...

No offense Payton, but you have no idea what you're talking about.

Firstly, we are talking about hardware that is YEARS old. Since Intel is not manufacturing these chipsets anymore, they're not making money off them anymore, so it's not unjustifiable for Intel to not want to spend anymore money on new drivers.

Secondly, Intel has not refused anything.

915 and older chipsets are not WDDM complaint, end of story. Older chipsets pre-date the existence on the WDDM, so they lack certain hardware features that are mandatory for WDDM drivers.

Many of you may be aware that an early beta of Windows Vista ran on the 915 with Aero, but the changes that prevented the final release of Vista from running Aero were actually changes to Vista, not the driver.

With Windows 7, the problem is worse. In Win7, Microsoft has revised the WDDM standard (WDDM 1.1 I think), and apparently now only 965 and newer chipsets are WDDM compliant.

Anyway, make no mistake, this ball is in Microsoft's court. It's up to them to do something about the XDDM/XPDM problem.
    Monday, February 02, 2009 3:42 AM
  • dhavalyoganandi said:

alright.. They should tell us how long we have to wait?

Microsoft has publicly stated there will be no "Beta 2", so we might get access to a RC version (release candidate) shortly before the final version is finished, or we may have to wait until the retail versions are released.

Basically, don't hold your breath.
    Monday, February 02, 2009 3:45 AM
  • Thanks for the reply smnc. I think there is GMA 900 drivers available through windows 7 update. But it has some problem which freeze my pc when I start any video or full screen application. So can I get any kind of alert when this bug is fixed ?
    Monday, February 02, 2009 4:38 AM
  • smnc said:

Payton.Liu said:

To dhavalyoganandi

No offense Payton, but you have no idea what you're talking about.

Firstly, we are talking about hardware that is YEARS old. Since Intel is not manufacturing these chipsets anymore, they're not making money off them anymore, so it's not unjustifiable for Intel to not want to spend anymore money on new drivers.

Secondly, Intel has not refused anything.

915 and older chipsets are not WDDM complaint, end of story. Older chipsets pre-date the existence on the WDDM, so they lack certain hardware features that are mandatory for WDDM drivers.

Many of you may be aware that an early beta of Windows Vista ran on the 915 with Aero, but the changes that prevented the final release of Vista from running Aero were actually changes to Vista, not the driver.

With Windows 7, the problem is worse. In Win7, Microsoft has revised the WDDM standard (WDDM 1.1 I think), and apparently now only 965 and newer chipsets are WDDM compliant.

Anyway, make no mistake, this ball is in Microsoft's court. It's up to them to do something about the XDDM/XPDM problem.

Hi smnc..

Intel has not provided WDDM drivers for 915 chipsets. But they've provided XPDDM drivers which works on windows vista (won't get aero). We want a 915 driver which runs without any freeze or jurk in windows 7.
    Monday, February 02, 2009 4:41 AM
  • I think I might of found a solution?/workaround to the video freeze problem. I have below spec computer so this should work for most people.:) My computer is a Dell Optiplex GX280 Mini-Tower, Pentium 4 3.0GHz processor, 512MB DDR2 400MHz RAM, 40GB Hard Drive (less than 10GB free when I installed Windows 7 Beta), Intel 915 Chipset (onboard video, LAN, and sound) with network disabled because I have cricket broadband and a wireless USB adapter, and a dual layer DVD burner. So as you can see a pretty crappy POS system but runs Windows 7 wonderfully besides the whole video freeze problem. I think the problem lies in Windows Media Player, not the driver but I could be wrong. When I run Adobe Media Player or VLC, it plays video perfect and this is with full acelleration. I haven't tried to play any games that require 3D accelleration but I installed the DirectX SDK and it installed fine, going to check out some samples to see if it likes DirectX. I'm able to play games that I created with GameMaker which requires 3D accelleration to work. Hope that helps some people. I mean really, who uses Windows Media Player for video when there are great players like VLC? Music seems to work fine with Windows Media Player. Now Media Center doesn't work right either, have to use the taskbar to bring up the desktop so you can see the Media Center screen but it doesn't hang the system just really hard to do things with it. Does anybody else have that problem with Media Center? Other than those issues, this is a great operating system. It's pretty sad that a BETA is better than a "complete" operating system like Vista, huh? I've never used Vista so I haven't been scarred by the Vista experience:) so that statement isn't qualified but from what I have been reading on various forums is that Windows 7 is what Vista should have been. Well hope that helps some people. Personally I think Windows Media Player needs to be looked at for driver compatibility with the Intel 915 chipset and other onboard video chipsets. I would like to see AERO because I never really seen it and the demos that I have seen look cool. The fact that it boots up in less than a minute and when you click on something it (believe it or not:) ) actually opens the window quickly makes not having AERO not a big deal. With ReadyBoost, it's really responsive. If I had more memory then performance would be even better.
    Monday, February 02, 2009 5:13 AM
  • dhavalyoganandi said:

Hi smnc..

Intel has not provided WDDM drivers for 915 chipsets. But they've provided XPDDM drivers which works on windows vista (won't get aero). We want a 915 driver which runs without any freeze or jurk in windows 7.

Unfortunately, there will never be a WDDM driver for the 915 chipsets.
    From what I've been able to gather from my sources, the freezing problem is not the drivers, but Windows 7 itself.

None of my contact or sources have any idea when or even if the XDDM driver problem will be solved.
    I haven't been able to get any information from anyone at Microsoft either, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will be fixed soon.

From my own experiments, the problem seems to be in the DriectDraw and Direct3D systems. It seems when most people disable DirectX acceleration the freezing stops.
    I have an Intel 855 on my test notebook, and I had the exact smae problems as you: video and 3d graphics froze my system every time.

Try disabling the DirectX (directDraw and Direct3D) acceleration and see if that helps.

Let me know if you need help disabling the acceleration.

Monday, February 02, 2009 5:36 AM
  • hi tony..

thanks for the reply. Its nice to hear that 915 graphic drivers are working fine on your PC. But unfortunately its not working on my laptop. I've installed 915 graphic (GMA 900) drivers via windows 7 update. And I'm also having this freeze problem with VLC and Media Player Classic (K-lite codec). The problem is with thumbnail generation also.

Thanks..
    Monday, February 02, 2009 5:36 AM
  • smnc said:

dhavalyoganandi said:

Hi smnc..

Unfortunately, there will never be a WDDM driver for the 915 chipsets.
    From what I've been able to gather from my sources, the freezing problem is not the drivers, but Windows 7 itself.

None of my contact or sources have any idea when or even if the XDDM driver problem will be solved.
    I haven't been able to get any information from anyone at Microsoft either, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will be fixed soon.

From my own experiments, the problem seems to be in the DriectDraw and Direct3D systems. It seems when most people disable DirectX acceleration the freezing stops.
    I have an Intel 855 on my test notebook, and I had the exact smae problems as you: video and 3d graphics froze my system every time.

Try disabling the DirectX (directDraw and Direct3D) acceleration and see if that helps.

Let me know if you need help disabling the acceleration.

Hi smnc..

I've also try this trick on my laptop. After disabling Direct3D and directDraw, the freezing problem is gone. But it degrades the quality of video and pictures. And I'm using my laptop as an entertainment device. Right now I've installed XDDM drivers in my laptop. They're working fine with some video. But freeze my laptop when it tries to generate thumbnails..  :(

Monday, February 02, 2009 5:41 AM
  • Hi Tony,
    Interesting idea...
    We already know that the problem is NOT the drivers. The problem lies in Windows 7. I haven't been able to find out exactly what is broken, but it appears that XDDM DirectX functions are the root of the issue.
    By disabling DirectX functions in the video driver, and therefore preventing calls to the DirectX subsystem, the crashes seem to have stopped.

I haven't tested VLC on Win7 personally, but I'm betting that the programs that you've run aren't calling on the DirectX functions that are causing the problems. Maybe it's just some of the more hardcore DirectX calls that are crashing things.

Interestingly, the program that was causing me the most grief was SnapStream's BeyondTV, and I know it uses Windows Media Player Codecs.... hmmmm...

I have MPC video player installed with CCCP (Combined Community Codec Pack), but I haven't tried it with the acceleration on. I'll also have to install VLC and dink with it too.

I'm going to look into this further in the morning and post my results....

Thanks Tony!
    Monday, February 02, 2009 5:48 AM
  • Other options you might want to tryout, KMPlayer, im running that instead of VLC now.

also possibly worth downloading and installing the Nov 2008 DirectX 9.0c Redistributable, and see if having the DX9 files installed has any effect. Because as far as i am aware, only DX10 and DX11 are installed by Windows 7.
    Monday, February 02, 2009 5:52 AM
  • Nice Sanginius, nice...
    I'll try that out.

BTW, are you a WH40K fan by chance?
    Monday, February 02, 2009 6:00 AM
  • Yup, but when i started playing EVE-Online years ago Sanguinius was already used, so a slight modification was made, been a long time since i played tabletop or looked at the minatures or rulebooks, have got all the Warhammer games though, think i might dig em all out and see which ones still run ;)
    Monday, February 02, 2009 6:05 AM
  • I'm using new VLC version which has new GUI. BTW Which VLC version are you using ?
    Monday, February 02, 2009 6:09 AM
  • Lol, I thought so.
    I've never actually played the tabletop game personally (just not enough time for ANOTHER hobby), but I've always been fascinated by the universe, I've got a couple dozen novels, and Dawn of War (with the expansions) is one of my all time favorite games.

I actually just read the Blood Angels novels a couple weeks ago, so Sanguinius was fresh in my mind.

Anyway, enough thread-jacking....
    I actually feel like an idiot. I had COMPLETELY forgotten about DirectX11.
    Since all the XDDM drivers were written for 9.0c or earlier, and Win7 is built around WDDM 1.1/DirectX 11...
    It's probably something to do with the new 2D GUI acceleration and Overlay DDI features.

Well, at least I have something to tinker with in the morning!

Monday, February 02, 2009 6:25 AM
  • anybody reply to me please..
    Monday, February 02, 2009 6:31 AM
  • I haven't used VLC in a couple years, since I moved to Media Player Classic, personally...

Monday, February 02, 2009 6:35 AM
  • I'm not using VLC, it was randomly crahing on me, so i switched to KMPlayer and im happy with that now, but im also not using the same hardware as you, just trying to help out and offer ideas that might help.

IE the DX9 suggestion made a little earlier.i cant test it, but it appears it has given smnc a new direction to look in.
    Monday, February 02, 2009 6:35 AM
  • Just thinking, i doubt it would work, but try installing the DirectX 9 Nov 2008 Redistributable, then re-installing the video driver from XP in compat mode . that might resolve vlc and other video playback issues, but i doubt it would fully solve the issue.
    Monday, February 02, 2009 6:44 AM
  • smnc said:

I haven't used VLC in a couple years, since I moved to Media Player Classic, personally...

okay. But I've problem with MPC as I told you earlier..
    Monday, February 02, 2009 6:50 AM
  • Sanginius said:

I'm not using VLC, it was randomly crahing on me, so i switched to KMPlayer and im happy with that now, but im also not using the same hardware as you, just trying to help out and offer ideas that might help.

IE the DX9 suggestion made a little earlier.i cant test it, but it appears it has given smnc a new direction to look in.

I really appreciate your help. Thanks bro..
    Monday, February 02, 2009 6:51 AM
  • Sanginius said:

Just thinking, i doubt it would work, but try installing the DirectX 9 Nov 2008 Redistributable, then re-installing the video driver from XP in compat mode . that might resolve vlc and other video playback issues, but i doubt it would fully solve the issue.

Okay... Its the new solution.. I'll try it when I get back to home. Thanks for this new solution.
    Monday, February 02, 2009 6:52 AM
  • I will be trying out as many different media players as possiblel; MPC, WMP, VLC, KMPlayer, etc...

I'm d/l the Nov08 DirectX SDK now.

Ideally, I'll try and find a solution that will let us keep acceleration on and stable in all circumstances, but I doubt that's possible.

Failing that, I'll do my best to find a workable compromise/workaround that will fix things as much as possible.

Monday, February 02, 2009 6:57 AM
  • Its times like this i wish i hadnt got rid of all my old hardware. its always easier to 'work' on a problem than try and visualise things that might be of use on hardware you dont have.
    Monday, February 02, 2009 7:00 AM
  • hi smnc..

what is the configuration of your rig ?
    Monday, February 02, 2009 7:06 AM
  • Sanginius said:

Its times like this i wish i hadnt got rid of all my old hardware. its always easier to 'work' on a problem than try and visualise things that might be of use on hardware you dont have.

You're absolutely right bro... Thanks for your help BTW...
    Monday, February 02, 2009 7:07 AM
  • I understand you completely. I got rid of all my REALLY old hardware (until two years ago I still had 486 and Pentium mobos) but I refurb old PIII/P4 notebooks, so I have tons of access to 2-3 generation old stuff.

My wife actually tried to make me toss all my older desktop stuff, but thankfully, I was able to save everything  K8 and newer.

My beater laptop is a Pentium M 1.2GHZ, so I really want to get Win7's driver demons sorted. It's one of only 2 machines in my network still running XP at this point... Well, not anymore, it's my first Win7 testbed.

Monday, February 02, 2009 7:10 AM
  • dhavalyoganandi said:

hi smnc..

My current testbed is a Toshiba Portege M100, my much loved beater notebook.

It's a Pentium M 1.2 (Pentium M's are a PIII/P4 hybrid), based around the Intel 855GM chipset. 1GB RAM, 80GB HDD.

I'll be doing my initial testing on this rig as I know it inside and out.

My next test rigs will be a newer notebook with a 945 chipset (I don't remember the CPU specs), and a AMD690G based desktop (AMD 64 BE2350 cpu).

I think I have a Dell in the shop that has a 915 chipset too, but I'm not sure. If I do have that computer, I'll set it up with Win7 as well.
    Monday, February 02, 2009 7:18 AM
  • lol i got flooded a few years ago and lost about 3 laptops and 10 full base units, and due to moving(into smaller quarters because of the flood), i had to get rid of close on another 40-50 motherboards and components that went with them (and the kicker was i was uninsured). since then ive only had a couple of fairly recently built computers, and all that hardware has vista drivers. so seeing as my system is running pretty damn smoothly for me, im spending time on these forums seeing who else i can help.
    Monday, February 02, 2009 7:23 AM
  • Sanginius said:

lol i got flooded a few years ago and lost about 3 laptops and 10 full base units, and due to moving(into smaller quarters because of the flood), i had to get rid of close on another 40-50 motherboards and components that went with them (and the kicker was i was uninsured). since then ive only had a couple of fairly recently built computers, and all that hardware has vista drivers. so seeing as my system is running pretty damn smoothly for me, im spending time on these forums seeing who else i can help.

sorry for your 3 laptops and 10 full base units lost.
    Monday, February 02, 2009 7:28 AM
  • smnc said:

dhavalyoganandi said:

hi smnc..

My current testbed is a Toshiba Portege M100, my much loved beater notebook.

It's a Pentium M 1.2 (Pentium M's are a PIII/P4 hybrid), based around the Intel 855GM chipset. 1GB RAM, 80GB HDD.

I'll be doing my initial testing on this rig as I know it inside and out.

My next test rigs will be a newer notebook with a 945 chipset (I don't remember the CPU specs), and a AMD690G based desktop (AMD 64 BE2350 cpu).

I think I have a Dell in the shop that has a 915 chipset too, but I'm not sure. If I do have that computer, I'll set it up with Win7 as well.

what is difference between 855GM and 915 ?

Monday, February 02, 2009 7:29 AM
  • My core systems are generally smooth running. I have a media server/center running a 790G/Phenom x4, a TV tuner PVR slave running a 790G/Athlon64 X2, my backbone server (Core2 Duo), my kitchen PC (old 690G Athlon64 single core), plus my main (business) notebook and my wife's notebook and my 5 year old's eeePC.

Plus I have my beater (which is my favorite), 2 or 3 "spare parts machines" at any given time, and about 10-30 notebooks in the shop...

I can't imagine what I'd do if a flood wiped most of that out... Ouch!!! My condolences on your hardware loss!

I love tinkering and fixing and helping. Actually, the whole reason I got into the refurbishing business was so I would stop messing with the network PC's so much. My wife is much happier with them up all the time.
    Monday, February 02, 2009 7:38 AM
  • The 915 is a generation newer, but shares many architectural similarities. They also both are reporting near identical XDDM driver issues.

Anything I find should be applicable to your system as well.
    Monday, February 02, 2009 7:43 AM
  • smnc said:

The 915 is a generation newer, but shares many architectural similarities. They also both are reporting near identical XDDM driver issues.

Anything I find should be applicable to your system as well.

okay got it bro.. I'm goin' for lunch.. c ya in an hour..
    Monday, February 02, 2009 7:45 AM
  • Actually I'm about to turn in for the night, but check back in about 12 hours and hopefully I'll have something by then.

Monday, February 02, 2009 7:52 AM
  • smnc said:

Actually I'm about to turn in for the night, but check back in about 12 hours and hopefully I'll have something by then.

okay bro.. c ya tomorrow. BTW where're you from ?
    Monday, February 02, 2009 8:32 AM
  • well i *should* have turned in about 9 hours ago, pulled another all nighter on these forums again... I'm based in the UK.
    Monday, February 02, 2009 8:37 AM
  • okay bro.. then go and get some sleep. I'm from india BTW. So when you've night there, we have day here. So will see your post tomorrow morning. 
    Monday, February 02, 2009 8:43 AM

• Thanks for the info pal.. MS is going to give updates of windows update from 24th of this month.... Hope we'll get fix in the updates...
    Sunday, February 22, 2009 4:48 AM
  • The updates, are just replacing files with the same versions to check the delivery works, not build number upgrades unfortunately.

http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/windows7/archive/2009/02/19/test-updates-for-windows-7-beta-users.aspx

Sunday, February 22, 2009 7:17 AM
  • Hi Sanginius,

How have you been? Are you in every forum on here? I have a solution for the graphics adventures we all been having the last month or so. The problem or area to be concerned with is the DirectX subsystem. You see the Intel 915 graphics are DX9 compatible but windows 7 has DX11 and we all know how Microsoft is with backward compatibility :) so you need to have the DX9 API's for the card to work properly. I installed the DirectX SDK (November 2008) and it comes with utilities that has a control panel. Actually what I found out is it's the monitor refresh rate that needs to be adjusted. The solution is that you need to install the DirectX SDK (November 2008) which you can get on the Microsoft download center like  you suggested and when it's installed open the directx sdk folder and utilities and open the control panel from the start menu. Click on the direct draw tab, set the forced refresh rate to something like 60 or something that your monitor can handle at whatever resolution you have set by clicking on the button so a drop down box appears. Click on apply and exit. Test it by running the WEI thingy, it worked for me. You see the DirectX controls have a default setting that probably doesn't work for most monitors. As far as I can tell this is the solution. I have full acelleration and no lockups, even using windows media player. Hope this helps everyone. Thanks to you and smnc (sorry if I butchered your name) for the suggestions. I actually thought it had to with the refresh rate a week ago but I wasn't sure how to get into the directx controls because the dxdiag doesn't have a more help tab. Now I have a new annoying thing that happens. My internet connections drops out when it decides to take a short stroll or nap. I have cricket wireless broadband which is like a sprint mobile card so maybe my signal drops? This started about a week ago or so. Thanks everyone for all the help.
    Monday, February 23, 2009 1:53 PM
  • I'm just gonna wait for windows update..
    Monday, February 23, 2009 5:27 PM
  • Hi TonyTiger1974,

I'm not bad thanks, yourself? I dont think i'm active in every forum here... yet ;) As i said in one of my other posts elsewhere, i've had a fairly smooth run so far, only 3 real issues, 2 of which are driver based( the 59hz as opposed to 60hz on monitor), and problems with sound which have just appeared in the last week. Audigy 2 ZS soundcard works perfectly about 95% of the time , then occasionally gets interference/static/feedback over the top of the sound. some times it clears itself, other times i have to restart the application. The third problem is a bit more serious. Windows Journal has crashed 3 times on my laptop, while opening a powerpoint file. unfortunately this locks the program into a  not responding sending info to microsoft , then close down loop. and the only way i have found so far of resolving this is to format and re-install windows 7. Removing the program via the  'Turn windows features on or off' doesnt resolve the issue, even if i boot in between uninstalling and re-installing Tablet options and check theres no windows Journal folder left when i restart the program the next time it gors straight into the same loop again. Occasionally you can open a previous note and add to it, but you cant make a new one that way. still  trying to figure thi s one out. there must be a registry entry somewhere keeping the last opened file details. So thats the next thing im going to be hunting.
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 4:06 AM
  • anybody has tried test update of windows 7 ? 
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 6:26 AM
  • Yes i got 2 of the 'test updates' yesterday, they dont actually change anything its just a test to verify that the delivery system works. so what happens is you download and install files that are the same version as was originally included in Windows7.I actually had another 3 files download at the same time, but they appeared to be actuall updates.
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 7:44 AM
  • okay.. and what about GMA 900 driver problem ? is it fixed ?
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 8:23 AM
  • no idea, i dont have that chipset, so i wont ever see any updates for it,  but seeing as we have no idea if/when microsoft is going to release another beta or an RC and whether that would be available for public testing i really cant say. However seing as no-one has posted that the problems are fixed i suspect they are still there, certainly for those using build 7000(the public beta)
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 8:37 AM

• Currently the only true fix for the XDDM problem is Build 7022.
    I hope that MS will release whatever it was they fixed as an update for build 7000, but there has been no word as of yet.
    However the test if the Windows Update system is a promising step towards actually patching the O/S.

I've tested 7022 with a Intel 855, and 915 and they work nearly flawless.
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 8:56 AM
  • smnc said:

Secondly, Intel has not refused anything.  915 and older chipsets are not WDDM complaint, end of story. Older chipsets pre-date the existence on the WDDM, so they lack certain hardware features that are mandatory for WDDM drivers.

Actually, Intel's official explanation contains a clear admission it was Intel's choice to start WDDM support beginning with GMA 950, not because GMA 900 couldn't meet technical requirements for WDDM compliance, but because running Aero on GMA 900 would result in a "sub-optimal user experience" from a performance standpoint.

IOW, Intel decided not to support WDDM on GMA 900 because GUI performance would be inordinately poor.  I believe them, but it was in fact a decision that Intel was free to make, not one that was determined for it by Microsoft's technical requirements.

Wednesday, February 25, 2009 11:45 AM
  • hi guys,

I've installed new updates for windows 7 yesterday..But there wasn't any update for my GMA 900 graphic card driver.. But the fix is available in 7022 build. Can anyone tell me the link to download the new fix for that driver ?
    Thursday, February 26, 2009 6:16 AM
  • tcsenter said:

Actually, Intel's official explanation contains a clear admission it was Intel's choice to start WDDM support beginning with GMA 950, not because GMA 900 couldn't meet technical requirements for WDDM compliance, but because running Aero on GMA 900 would result in a "sub-optimal user experience" from a performance standpoint.

IOW, Intel decided not to support WDDM on GMA 900 because GUI performance would be inordinately poor.  I believe them, but it was in fact a decision that Intel was free to make, not one that was determined for it by Microsoft's technical requirements.

I'm not about to get drawn into ANOTHER 915 argument, so I'll make this brief, and this will be last post I make on the topic.
    Firstly, I assume you meant 945 family, not 950.  The lowest class intel Chipset with WDDM capability is the 940 mobile.

Secondly, I am aware of intel's "Official" explanation, and it's not untrue. I am also aware that the "Offical" story is not complete, and that there were certain factors that Intel was not able to discuss officially.
    Yes the 915 is technically capeable of running Aero... Badly.
    However, that was in the beta stages of Vista, and Microsoft tightened up requirements for Vista Premium complaince during the development cycle. As a result, regardless of intel's decision, the 915 would not have been able to use official "Signed" WDDM drivers.

That's it.
    Thursday, February 26, 2009 6:30 AM
  • dhavalyoganandi said:

hi guys,

I've installed new updates for windows 7 yesterday..But there wasn't any update for my GMA 900 graphic card driver.. But the fix is available in 7022 build. Can anyone tell me the link to download the new fix for that driver ?

There ARE NO UPDATES FOR WINDOWS 7!!!
    The only update that is available is a TEST update and does not actually make any changes to your system.

Secondly, it's NOT the XDDM drivers that were/are the problem. It is the DirectX 11 Display system that has been causing the problems.

I'm still using the Vista driver for my Intel 855 right now.

Right now, the ONLY true fix is to upgrade to Build 7022, however it is NOT in public release.
    Thursday, February 26, 2009 6:34 AM
  • smnc said:

I'm not about to get drawn into ANOTHER 915 argument, so I'll make this brief, and this will be last post I make on the topic.

No need for an argument.  I'm every bit as familiar with this saga from the day it started as anyone, and I'm familiar with the reasons why Intel elected not to support WDDM on GMA 900 (for performance reasons).  You couldn't possibly tell me anything I haven't heard before.

Firstly, I assume you meant 945 family, not 950.  The lowest class intel Chipset with WDDM capability is the 940 mobile.

That assumption would be wrong.  945 is the chipset.  I'm referring to the graphics part name.  e.g. GMA 900 is not the chipset, its the graphics part.  GMA 950 is not the chipset, its the graphics part.  Clear for you?

Secondly, I am aware of intel's "Official" explanation, and it's not untrue. I am also aware that the "Offical" story is not complete, and that there were certain factors that Intel was not able to discuss officially.

lol!  You actually believe Intel would put-forth an official explanation that admits responsibility for the decision when it could use an explanation that would vindicate Intel by pinning it on Microsoft?  Yeah, right.

I'll take Intel's explanation of what factors determined Intel's decision not to support WDDM on GMA 900 over someone on an internet forum.  Thank you, though.

Thursday, February 26, 2009 12:19 PM
  • TonyTiger1974,

I was thrilled by your advice but at the same time almost convinced it would not work...

So I installed the nov 2008 directx sdk, did exactly as you suggested (setting the 60 Hz refresh rate in "direct draw"), but this did not change anything at all:

I still get my immediate freezes when using directx acceleration and opening a video file.

Anyway, I did not believe that setting a refresh rate could solve that issue because it has nothing to do with the screen freezing but everything to do with the whole computer locking up (keyboard, mouse, whole PC).

TonyTiger1974, may I ask you this:
    When speaking of "freezes", did you mean video files stopping to play or did you really mean a hard lock-up of the whole computer, in the way that many other folks described that problem?

The only way to avoid those freezes appears to be that sad work-around to disable any kind of hardware acceleration (for directx), while opengl, at least, still gives perfect hardware acceleration.

Regards, egman
    Thursday, April 02, 2009 3:11 PM
  • Can anyone confirm if this issue is fixed for Windows 7 RC?
    Telemann
    Friday, May 08, 2009 11:54 AM
  • yeah... unfortunately I've installed windows 7 RC 1 yesterday.  I couldn't find my intel GMA 900 graphic drivers in windows installation and in windows update. Microsoft did it again.. They've not provided Intel GMA 900 graphics drivers with windows 7 RC 1. I don't know why.

Anybody have any solution regarding this ?
    Monday, May 11, 2009 4:20 AM
  • fortunately I've found its solution by installing drivers of GMA 900 for XP in compatibility mode. And they are working fine.. and flawlessly...
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 5:30 AM
  • OK. Just to wrap up this thread I have personally installed Windows 7 RC and after manually installing XP drivers for the 910/915 chipset, I have full monitor resolution and no problems with video acceleration using WMP and Window Live Messenger which happened in the Beta. So all is working good so far.

UPDATE:

The Windows 7 RC build is certainly a lot more stable than the Beta with regards to the 910/915 intel graphics chipset, however it is not 100% sorted. Windows Live Messenger only works reliably in Vista Compatibility mode, and Windows Media player doesn't like playing HD video content or resizing video while playing, although at least it plays properly without freezing up the whole system. There are also outstanding issues with aero snaps which does sometimes cause the system to freeze if aero snaps is used while video is playing. These issues may be more exaggerated because of the external monitor I am using at the same time.

So although the beta and RC may work perfectly well on most machines, the machines with older and low-end graphics chipsets aren't quite 100% there yet.

Telemann
    • Edited by TBC 203485 Thursday, June 04, 2009 6:10 PM update
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 3:05 PM
  • hi all,

I am a bit confused about what you are talking about Windows 7 RC build and Intel drivers.
    I run into the same problem just yesterday as my computer is completely freezing without any error messages while I try to watch some videos (.avi, .mkv).
    In my case, I am using Windows 7 prof. 64 bit, Asus Striker II Mainboard with latest drivers and ATI Radeon HD 4870 (1GB GRAM), Intel Core 2 Duo (45nm) 2x3,1 GHz as well as 4GB RAM.
    Yesterday, I did run some stress tests on my computer to check HDD, RAM, CPU and GPU, but they returned without any errors. Still, the computer freezes completly after about 10 minutes of video playback. I installed the latest drivers for all components and did not install any new video codecs.
    Monday, November 16, 2009 10:38 AM
  • hi all,

I am a bit confused about what you are talking about Windows 7 RC build and Intel drivers.
    I run into the same problem just yesterday as my computer is completely freezing without any error messages while I try to watch some videos (.avi, .mkv).
    In my case, I am using Windows 7 prof. 64 bit, Asus Striker II Mainboard with latest drivers and ATI Radeon HD 4870 (1GB GRAM), Intel Core 2 Duo (45nm) 2x3,1 GHz as well as 4GB RAM.
    Yesterday, I did run some stress tests on my computer to check HDD, RAM, CPU and GPU, but they returned without any errors. Still, the computer freezes completly after about 10 minutes of video playback. I installed the latest drivers for all components and did not install any new video codecs.

which build of windows 7 are you using? There is already a final and stable version out there in market if you're using RC or beta..
    Monday, November 16, 2009 11:47 AM