none
Administrator.computername in C:\Users RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Today I noticed on my reference image in C:\Users I had a profile called Administrator.computername. I built my reference image as Administrator with all the programs and setting our organization uses. The computer is not a member of a domain..

How can I get rid of it?

Thanks for any help as I do not want to leave that on my reference image.

Saturday, August 13, 2011 1:19 PM

Answers

• The only way to remove the profile for Administrator is to create another account with admin access and delete the profile. See DelProf2 for a command line tool to perform the delete.

You will then be left with the profile for the second account.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.
    • Proposed as answer by Rich Prescott Saturday, August 13, 2011 8:29 PM
    • Marked as answer by clivebuckwheat Wednesday, August 17, 2011 1:01 PM
    Saturday, August 13, 2011 6:54 PM
  • Give this a try.

Right click on my computer>properties>advanced system settings>user profiles
    If it shows up in there or something strange is in there then select it and choose delete.
    Removing it from here should delete the folder in c:\users
    Then reimage the system

Regards, ~G MCSE, MCDST, MCITP, MCTS, MCP, CCNA
    Saturday, August 13, 2011 10:00 PM
  • Hi,

The following link is for your reference.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324734 

Also, there is the similar thread below.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-CA/winservergen/thread/0983b555-053e-4875-9e1a-bec000dd0420

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 9:17 AM

All replies

• The only way to remove the profile for Administrator is to create another account with admin access and delete the profile. See DelProf2 for a command line tool to perform the delete.

You will then be left with the profile for the second account.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.
    • Proposed as answer by Rich Prescott Saturday, August 13, 2011 8:29 PM
    Saturday, August 13, 2011 6:54 PM
  • Thanks Aaron,

I want to keep the administrator profile, but why is profiles such as C:\Users\Administrator.computername.001, Administrator.computername.002 being generated?

Saturday, August 13, 2011 8:35 PM
  • Hmm, good question.

How many times have you re-created the same image? It sounds like rebuilding the image will recreate the local Administrator account and with an existing profile in place, you get a new one. But that sounds odd as the SID for the account should still be the same.

What are you doing in your build? e.g. what tasks run, any changes to the administrator profile etc 

Saturday, August 13, 2011 9:37 PM
  • I created it last night after the hard drive died on my reference pc. (It's been one of those weeks)

Nothing to special after deploying the image I am doing,

it runs through sysprep, autologins as Administrator, to do a couple scripted installs, change the default printer etc. Nothing out of the ordinary.

I just don't like having that C:\users\Administrator.computername.001  on my reference pc. I have in C:\Users\ the following profiles.

Administrators      ------->Built my reference pc as Administrator.

Public

Administrator.computername.001-----> this has me bothered.

Saturday, August 13, 2011 9:47 PM
  • Give this a try.

Right click on my computer>properties>advanced system settings>user profiles
    If it shows up in there or something strange is in there then select it and choose delete.
    Removing it from here should delete the folder in c:\users
    Then reimage the system

Regards, ~G MCSE, MCDST, MCITP, MCTS, MCP, CCNA
    Saturday, August 13, 2011 10:00 PM
  • Hi,

The following link is for your reference.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324734 

Also, there is the similar thread below.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-CA/winservergen/thread/0983b555-053e-4875-9e1a-bec000dd0420

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 9:17 AM
  • I had the same issue or similar issue. Sometimes after I imaged I would have the administrator.computername in my Users folder. My Windows 7 answer file creates the Administrator account again after deployment. I didn't realize it was disabled or deleted by sysprep. So what I think was going on is that the administrator user folder is not being deleted quickly enough before sysprep logs in the Administrator account after imaging/sysprep deployment (I have it auto log as Administrator after imaging). Therefore it would have to create the administrator.computername folder since C:\Users\Administrator was already there. It seems harmless to be but annoying if you spend days working on the "perfect image" Anyway, that is what I believe is happening to me on occasion.
    Thursday, January 9, 2014 6:55 PM
  • Hi,

Did you figure out how to prevent it from happening? I have a similar setup as yours and the inconsistency is a problem...

Thanks!

JC

Friday, August 5, 2016 2:47 PM
  • Almost 3 years later and I'm having the same issue on my laptop, no matter what I try.

I've gone to the User Profiles window, modified the entries in Registry Editor, deleted the User folders etc. but for some reason the folder Daniel.dultra keeps appearing alongside the Daniel folder in C:\Users.

Any other suggestions? Thanks

Thursday, June 27, 2019 2:14 PM
  • I believe it happens because the profile is corrupt, and a new one is created. Sometimes you may see a message about a temporarily profile, at least in older OS. Same thing can happen in a domain environment.

I would recommend creating a new user account, migrate what you can and after you are all set up with the new account, remove the old one and the .computername one entirely.

Wednesday, July 10, 2019 9:09 PM