none
Question WiFi Connection Issues: 5Ghz band not found? How do I determine wifi settings & limitations RRS feed

• Question

• Laptop:Asus windows 8.1 G750JX

router: Asus RT-AC68U Dual Band Router protocol 802.11n

The 2.5ghz band is discoverable and connects fine, and works anywhere in the house. The 5GHz Band is not even discovered, doesn't show up on the list.

How do I find out if there are limitations on my Notebook pc regarding 5GHz bands? Can they be updated? Are there other solutions?

I have been on the Router support site, and one of the issues mentioned was a limitation on the pc to receive 5GHz. (Which I wish I knew before I bought the router at the same time as the pc)

Any help would be appreciated, Thank You.

• Edited by Scorpiooooo Friday, October 10, 2014 9:20 AM
    Friday, October 10, 2014 9:14 AM

Answers

• The ability to connect to 2.4 or 5 Ghz bands is limited by the hardware.

Check if teh wireless adpater on your devcie supports 5Ghz. from the Asus specs page it is not clear what exact wireless device is used and the drivers listed are for many differnt devices. Check what device is actually installed and verify the specs on the vendor support site.

Note that altough support for 5GHz is often included in .n devices, the .n standard does not imply the device has to support additional 5Ghz band.

MCP/MCSA/MCTS/MCITP

Friday, October 10, 2014 11:36 AM

All replies

• The ability to connect to 2.4 or 5 Ghz bands is limited by the hardware.

Check if teh wireless adpater on your devcie supports 5Ghz. from the Asus specs page it is not clear what exact wireless device is used and the drivers listed are for many differnt devices. Check what device is actually installed and verify the specs on the vendor support site.

Note that altough support for 5GHz is often included in .n devices, the .n standard does not imply the device has to support additional 5Ghz band.

MCP/MCSA/MCTS/MCITP

Friday, October 10, 2014 11:36 AM
  • Hi Scorpiooooo ,

I agress with SenneVL. We need to check if the wireless network adapter can support 5Ghz.

Best regards,

Fangzhou CHEN

Fangzhou CHEN
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, October 15, 2014 9:40 AM