none
Does HDD "Offline" remove power? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm told to a friend that taking a disk offline results in it being powered off by the OS. Fact or fiction? (I don't think he's right but I've been wrong before...)

John

Wednesday, August 7, 2013 6:52 PM

Answers

• You'll have to try it to see.

In XP, if the drive was online, and you set the power plan to turn off the drive after five minutes, and then you turned the drive offline, it would turn off after five minutes, but it would turn back on every time Windows scanned the bus again (every 30 minutes or so). The result would be the drive would spin down and spin up and spin down and spin up until it would spin no more.

It also depends on the firmware on the drive. Some have more power saving modes and would stay off in spite of this.

Try it, but don't count on it.

Thursday, August 8, 2013 3:36 AM
  • Hi John,

Based on my research, when a hard disk is offline, OS still keep some power supply since we still can see it in Disk management and get it online anytime.

Disk Management

Hope this could be helpful and you can try to manage your disk online/offline combining with the hardware testing.

Keep post.

Kate Li

TechNet Community Support

Friday, August 9, 2013 3:16 PM
    Owner

All replies

• You'll have to try it to see.

In XP, if the drive was online, and you set the power plan to turn off the drive after five minutes, and then you turned the drive offline, it would turn off after five minutes, but it would turn back on every time Windows scanned the bus again (every 30 minutes or so). The result would be the drive would spin down and spin up and spin down and spin up until it would spin no more.

It also depends on the firmware on the drive. Some have more power saving modes and would stay off in spite of this.

Try it, but don't count on it.

Thursday, August 8, 2013 3:36 AM
  • Hi John,

Based on my research, when a hard disk is offline, OS still keep some power supply since we still can see it in Disk management and get it online anytime.

Disk Management

Hope this could be helpful and you can try to manage your disk online/offline combining with the hardware testing.

Keep post.

Kate Li

TechNet Community Support

Friday, August 9, 2013 3:16 PM
    Owner