Windows 10 - after update 1803 odbc SQL server connect problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

client computer with windows 10 was updated on 1803 version and our application not work.

Application is shared on server1 (windows server2003), data on server2 SQL server 2012 on windows server 2012.

Application is 32 bit and over odbc SQL connect to data.

Error:

Connection failed:
    SQLState: '01000'
    SQL Server Error: 2
    [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBNETLIBl]ConnectionOpen(Connect()).
    Connection failed:
    SQLState: '08001'
    SQL Server Error: 17
    [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBNETLIB]SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

I create new test application that get data from SQL. 

When application is run from shared network - error.

When I copy application on client local disk - work OK.

Thank You for help

Ludek

Thursday, May 10, 2018 8:37 AM

All replies

• What SMB Version are you using on your network share ? if its bellow 2.0 it wont work.

Fire up a powershell in Admin and use "Get-SmbConnection". The Dialect is the SMB Version.

It seems like 1803 is blocking network connections for executables that are run from a network drive using SMB 1.X

Best regards,

MicroBro

• Proposed as answer by Microbro Thursday, May 10, 2018 8:52 AM
    Thursday, May 10, 2018 8:50 AM
  • Thank You for answer MicroBro.

On network share is SMB 1.5.

Programs from this share which not connect to SQL work OK. 

Programs which work with data on SQL cannot connect to SQL over ODBC.

When I not find other solution, I will create share on server with SMB > 2.0

Thank You

Best regards,

Ludek

Thursday, May 10, 2018 9:30 AM
  • Hi,

In addition, check the port you are using blocked.

Or try to change the port to check.

Configure a Server to Listen on a Specific TCP Port

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/database-engine/configure-windows/configure-a-server-to-listen-on-a-specific-tcp-port?view=sql-server-2017

start the "SQL Server Browser" service on the SQL Serverv.

Check the link below about Solving Connectivity errors to SQL Server if it is helpful.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4009936/solving-connectivity-errors-to-sql-server

Hope it will be helpful to you

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, May 11, 2018 7:49 AM
  • I noticed the same problem. One of my client who uses ERP with SQL server couldn't connect after update Windows 10 to 1803; I recreated this issue on the other OS. To quick fix it I put IP instead of HOSTNAME and it works.

didn't do any deep investigation yet so don't know what's the reason.

Friday, May 11, 2018 11:20 AM
  • What SMB Version are you using on your network share ? if its bellow 2.0 it wont work.

Fire up a powershell in Admin and use "Get-SmbConnection". The Dialect is the SMB Version.

It seems like 1803 is blocking network connections for executables that are run from a network drive using SMB 1.X

Best regards,

MicroBro

I'm experiencing the same issue, is there any solution?
    Tuesday, May 15, 2018 8:58 AM
  • It is most likely Windows Defender that has been tweaked, not the core networking stack.

Our ERP runs from a SMBv1 share on a legacy Linux/Samba server. After upgrading to 1803, the ERP failed on one computer. Many gray hairs later, we noticed that the failed computer was running Windows Defender while every other computer was running AVG Antivirus. Installing AVG on the problematic computer, thus disabling Windows Defender, allowed our ERP to start.

We got the same result testing in a freshly installed virtual machine.

We also tried disabling Windows Defender real time protection. This was not enough to allow the ERP to start correctly.

• Proposed as answer by MauriMendoza Thursday, May 31, 2018 8:40 PM
    Tuesday, May 15, 2018 12:18 PM
  • We have the same issue but using Seqrite Antivirus, not only windows defender.

Tuesday, May 15, 2018 12:53 PM
  • We also have the same problem with Symantec Small Business Edition.  I can uninstall that and install AVG or Avast and our MRP software will run from our Windows 2003 server and connect to the SQL database on that server.
    Wednesday, May 16, 2018 1:43 PM
  • We are under the same situation, all our Windows 10 Professional updated to compilation 1803 returns non capable of ODBC connection to our SQL Server. We have ESET Antivirus licenced but it doesn't resolve the issue.

Installing Avast Free or AVG Free as solution is not possible due to license restrictions/infringements

Wednesday, May 16, 2018 2:02 PM
  • Same here!

Licenced Eset Antivirus raise the connection error.

Is Microsoft hearing us ?

Wednesday, May 16, 2018 2:08 PM
  • I suppose not!
    Wednesday, May 16, 2018 2:21 PM
  • Hello,

we have the same.

I have figured out the following.

On the Server (in our case 2008 R2) however one bit was wrong.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters

SMB2=0 change to 1 -> restart

The Problem is solved for me.

• Edited by Martin_Tfx Wednesday, May 16, 2018 4:20 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Martin_Tfx Wednesday, May 16, 2018 4:21 PM
    Wednesday, May 16, 2018 4:05 PM
  • Yes, this solution would solve the problem if server support smb > 1.5 (> windows 2008).

For "old" windows server (2003) this is not applicable since the only supported smb version is 1.

Wednesday, May 16, 2018 4:12 PM
  • In my opinion there are two ways:

1. Server ist 2003 an Clients are Win7 - will run - never change a running System.

2. Update: Than all. 2003 is not longer supported, even you find a Workaround, you will fail by next update.

Have you tried to Play XBOX One whithout installing Update?

Wednesday, May 16, 2018 4:59 PM
  • All. I have been tracking this issue for several days as our office is also affected. We have an Oracle database that is unreachable after the update. The application is hosted on a Windows 2003 server as is the database (separate server). I have tried a number of things mentioned here to no success. Copying the exe to the local workstation does not solve the issue. The output from a working Windows 10 (1709) indicates it is using SMB 1.5. I think the SMB issue is a red herring. Perhaps if you could not launch the application this could be the problem but I do not see what amounts to an ODBC breakage being caused by SMB version.

We are receiving Oracle TNS-12560 errors after the update to 1803. Deactivating ALL Windows defender and Smart Screen options does not fix the issue. The solution thus far is to revert to previous Windows build. Thankfully we have limited Windows 10 desktop deployments. It is difficult to move to newer versions when things like this continue to occur. Trust in the new software is immediately lost among the userbase. The help desk is ringing as I speak. "Wjy are we having disproportinate numbers of problems compared to the other users?"

Good times....

More info on MSDN.  https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/80d86b3b-28ff-4abe-945f-a1efccb5cf8e/rs41803windows-10-1803-wont-run-odbc-sql-connected-application-from-network?forum=windowsgeneraldevelopmentissues

• Edited by TGXperience Wednesday, May 16, 2018 8:24 PM updated content
    Wednesday, May 16, 2018 6:13 PM
  • Have you tried to move executable files to a shared folder on Windows Server 2012 R2 / 2016 with SMBv3 support, as suggested in this article?

Thursday, May 17, 2018 6:23 AM
  • We tried, and it runs, but that's not a solution.

We have a lot of customer using windows 2003 server

Thursday, May 17, 2018 6:43 AM
  • We are receiving Oracle TNS-12560 errors after the update to 1803.

Sounds like the situation at my work is almost identical to the one you've described, TGXperience. The error we get from computers that have updated to Windows 10 (1803) when we try to open our Oracle-based business program reads:

Cannot continue. Problems were encountering establishing a database connection.

General SQL error.

ORA-12650: TNS:protocol adapter error

The program in-question is on a Windows 2003 server using a dialect of 1.5. The problem is the IT company our business employs is unsure the program can be transferred to a more recent server without some issues. So we are continuing to monitor the discussions online, hoping a solution surfaces that will allow us to retain Windows 10 (1803) and continue to use our business program.

• Edited by KMICD Thursday, May 17, 2018 10:50 AM
    Thursday, May 17, 2018 10:48 AM
  • I work for a company contracted to make data retrieval for our overlord's customers

we use firebird (interbase) sql server, the db and application are on a share

since the update, several customers have had similar issues as follows:

loads fine on server location

if the client errors its a connection string error

SOME win 10 to win 10 connections have been fixed with a host file edit w/ IP

One win 10 client to win 10 server was resolved by ENABLING SMB 1.0

remapping share as IP was in some win 10 client to win 2008 R2 servers resolved the issue as well..

Some win 10 clients to all servers (Win 7, Win 10, 2003, 2008, 2012) are unaffected

this is so confusing....

Thursday, May 17, 2018 1:41 PM
  • I work for a company contracted to make data retrieval for our overlord's customers

remapping share as IP was in some win 10 client to win 2008 R2 servers resolved the issue as well..

Some win 10 clients to all servers (Win 7, Win 10, 2003, 2008, 2012) are unaffected

this is so confusing....

Take a look at https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/80d86b3b-28ff-4abe-945f-a1efccb5cf8e/rs41803windows-10-1803-wont-run-odbc-sql-connected-application-from-network?forum=windowsgeneraldevelopmentissues&prof=required 
    Thursday, May 17, 2018 1:58 PM

this is so confusing....

Take a look at https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/80d86b3b-28ff-4abe-945f-a1efccb5cf8e/rs41803windows-10-1803-wont-run-odbc-sql-connected-application-from-network?forum=windowsgeneraldevelopmentissues&prof=required 

I can't help but feel this is not a separate issue....these two threads are DEF related
    Thursday, May 17, 2018 3:44 PM
  • I have an app vb6 with sql server access, and I had the same issue on a windows 10 client updated with 1803 release. Reason: .exe  server mismatch sql server. I moved .exe to same server that sqlserver and works.
    Tuesday, May 22, 2018 2:34 PM
  • As noted by others, the app is not easily ported to Windows Server 2012 or it would have been already.
    Wednesday, May 23, 2018 3:48 PM
  • Dears,

efectly there is a problem with Windows defender after this update, i've installed AVG Free and i disabled windows defender and after this my problem go away. I need to install Panda Security that is own corp antivirus. i'll try with this software and tell them.

regards.

Thursday, May 31, 2018 8:38 PM
  • The flaw is now acknowledged. 'Fix' forthcoming in 'late June'.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-nz/help/4284835/windows-10-update-kb4284835

"Known issues in this update"

As posted at end of parallel thread on msdn.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/80d86b3b-28ff-4abe-945f-a1efccb5cf8e/rs41803windows-10-1803-wont-run-odbc-sql-connected-application-from-network?forum=windowsgeneraldevelopmentissues

Wednesday, June 13, 2018 5:23 PM
  • This appears to be fixed in KB4284848 released today. 
    • Addresses an issue where some users may receive an error when accessing files or running programs from a shared folder using the SMBv1 protocol. The error is "An invalid argument was supplied".
    • Proposed as answer by EmilioSp87 Wednesday, June 27, 2018 7:56 AM
    Tuesday, June 26, 2018 5:44 PM
  • Yep, my systems are working as they were before the 1803 version of Windows 10

June 26, 2018—KB4284848 (OS Build 17134.137)

This patch released today fixed the issue on my system running a shared executable SQL program on our Windows 2003 server using the SMB1.0

• Proposed as answer by GPonceMDP Tuesday, July 3, 2018 7:09 PM
    Tuesday, June 26, 2018 5:56 PM
  • Patched up in KB4284848. Tested this morning and working fine after applied.
    • Proposed as answer by ballavancebr Monday, July 23, 2018 11:31 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by ballavancebr Monday, July 23, 2018 11:31 PM
    Tuesday, July 3, 2018 7:11 PM
  • We noticed similar issue but, we found that the Windows Defender updates were causing a block on the Client PC outbound and by adding a Outbound rule on the Windows 10 client outbound by starting the Windows Security Center as ADMIN and creating an Outbound TCP/IP rule and allowing outbound on port 1433 fixed the issue.   All was fine on the Windows 10 pc until recently so, this new Defender update must have enabled ALL outbound filtering when previously it was not.
    Monday, July 23, 2018 11:34 PM
  • Same problem but after 10/10/2018 after 1809 update, and not on all pc in the network. 1 pc of 3 is working, but is very slow the odbc connection. first of the connection there is an error of time-out. (Windows Server 2016 + MS-SQL 2017 + clients Windows 10; not in domain)

Can anyone help me?

• Edited by diepic Thursday, October 11, 2018 7:59 AM
    Thursday, October 11, 2018 7:53 AM
  • Same problem but after 10/10/2018 after 1809 update, and not on all pc in the network. 1 pc of 3 is working, but is very slow the odbc connection. first of the connection there is an error of time-out. (Windows Server 2016 + MS-SQL 2017 + clients Windows 10; not in domain)

Can anyone help me?

Same problem here with me.

I'm seeing the probleme on one computer, other Windows 10 are working just fine.
    did you find any solutions?

Thursday, February 14, 2019 8:45 AM
  • @Wiking_DK same problem, any solution?
    Wednesday, April 3, 2019 10:28 PM
  • I've had this issue when connecting to another DB in my network through a CRM app (Microdec Profile incase you're using it)

After a lot of frustration and trial and error I've found a reliable way of fixing it (in my case anyway, just sharing incase anyone is in the same boat)

So it seems like Windows 10's ODBC data sources app doesn't like doing things in the first instance without a port number. Find out which port your DB is listening on (usually 49157 or 2638) and add that port in ODBC data sources (remember to run as admin). If these ports don't work run netstat -ab in a command prompt on the db server to get a list of what is using what.

After the connection has worked for the first time you can remove the port number and save it and it will still work. Please note that testing the connection in ODBC data sources also doesn't work. 

I have replicated this fix on 40 laptops (manually as this has ruined my silent install process for this app) as all have had the issue. I have one user who was working fine before the latest Windows update who was unaffected. All of this seems to just be new connections using the latest windows update.

Hopefully this helps at least one more person as I've had days of trial and error. If not then good luck and I hope you find your resolution soon!

Darren

Thursday, May 16, 2019 1:10 PM
  • this fixed my problem right now. I will try the host file again later.
    Friday, June 19, 2020 4:36 PM