Username Variable in Profile Path ADAC RRS feed

• Question

• Does anyone know how to get the "Profile Path" for a user to act the same within Active Directory Administrative Center as it does in ADUC? Another words in AD Users and Computers one can enter "\\domain\folder\%username%" and it will automatically repopulate the field with "\\domain\folder\actual.username". ADAC seems to treat this field strictly as all text, leaving the field as "\\domain\folder\%username%". No variable accepted.

-Eric

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 8:45 PM

Answers

• Good question, I don't think you can, I rarely use ADAC my self to be honest, hopefully someone from Microsoft can confirm that this isn't possible. I suggest using PowerShell instead.

Enfo Zipper
    Christoffer Andersson – Principal Advisor
    http://blogs.chrisse.se - Directory Services Blog

• Marked as answer by Amy Wang_ Monday, July 7, 2014 9:04 AM
    Tuesday, June 24, 2014 9:38 PM
  • Hi Eric,

I think I get your point now.

I have tested to configure roaming profile for a user through Active Directory Administrative Center, the user name variable remains this form “%username%”, while when I set roaming profile in ADUC, the “%username%” converts to the real user name.

On the bright side, this is actually an improvement of user profile, because when we rename a user, its user profile path won’t change automatically when the profile path is like \\server\profile\someone. However, with the variable %username% remains in the profile path, a new user profile folder will be created for the new user name, after we rename a user and it has logged on.

I have tested this, and I think this could save us some extra work if we intend to rename users in the domain.

More information for you:

Renaming a User Account Does Not Automatically Change the Profile Path

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2454362/en-us

Best Regards,

Amy

• Edited by Amy Wang_ Tuesday, July 1, 2014 8:23 AM
    Tuesday, July 1, 2014 8:22 AM

All replies

• Good question, I don't think you can, I rarely use ADAC my self to be honest, hopefully someone from Microsoft can confirm that this isn't possible. I suggest using PowerShell instead.

Enfo Zipper
    Christoffer Andersson – Principal Advisor
    http://blogs.chrisse.se - Directory Services Blog

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 9:38 PM
  • In ADUC it is called "Published at" and in ADAC it is called "path"

In ADAC under blobal search I looked for a last name onceresults were generated I right click the columens and I selected path and it gave me the

OU=,OU=,OU= ... Path.

Is this what you are looking for?

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 9:46 PM
  • thanks seansobey, but I was referring to the "Profile Path" that is used for setting up roaming profiles.

Thursday, June 26, 2014 10:59 PM
  • on the account under extensions, this is where that field can be found
    Thursday, June 26, 2014 11:07 PM
  • Hi Eric,

I think I get your point now.

I have tested to configure roaming profile for a user through Active Directory Administrative Center, the user name variable remains this form “%username%”, while when I set roaming profile in ADUC, the “%username%” converts to the real user name.

On the bright side, this is actually an improvement of user profile, because when we rename a user, its user profile path won’t change automatically when the profile path is like \\server\profile\someone. However, with the variable %username% remains in the profile path, a new user profile folder will be created for the new user name, after we rename a user and it has logged on.

I have tested this, and I think this could save us some extra work if we intend to rename users in the domain.

More information for you:

Renaming a User Account Does Not Automatically Change the Profile Path

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2454362/en-us

Best Regards,

Amy

• Edited by Amy Wang_ Tuesday, July 1, 2014 8:23 AM
    Tuesday, July 1, 2014 8:22 AM