none
Can I assign Win10 Pro OEM to PC with Win7 Pro OEM, then re-image using VL media? RRS feed

• Question

• [Apologies if this is the wrong forum to ask, please advise of a better forum if so]

Hi,

I have around 30 PCs still running Windows 7 Pro, which are all assigned the OEM license which they came with.

We want to move these onto Windows 10 Pro, using the same 'master image' we use on our Windows 10 PCs. This image is based off VL media.

I understand that re-imaging rights are available on VL, Retail and OEM licenses. As the cost of OEM licenses is much cheaper than VL, can I just buy 30 OEM licenses, then 'assign' these to the relevant PCs and image them using the master image mentioned above?

Thanks in advance.

Monday, October 14, 2019 10:01 AM

All replies

• Hello,

If I am reading this correctly then the answer is yes

http://download.microsoft.com/download/3/D/4/3D42BDC2-6725-4B29-B75A-A5B04179958B/Reimaging.pdf

Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, October 14, 2019 3:12 PM
  • Thanks. That's the same doc I have been reading. This confirms the reimaging rights for VL, Retail and OEM.

The bit I'm unsure of is that after buying the OEM licenses, can I simply "assign" (which is a paper exercise) these OEM licenses to the PCs which are currently running windows 7?

What I want to avoid, is taking a PC running Windows 7, upgrading it once to Windows 10 to activate it (or whatever it's called), then wiping and re-image it using our master Win 10 Pro image.

Tuesday, October 15, 2019 9:42 AM
  • Hello,

The answer is yes. See the bolded line below which is copied from the document

Commercial Licensing Windows Desktop operating system media may be used to reimage devices if all devices being reimaged are licensed for the edition and version of Windows being reimaged onto them. (Note: Each device being reimaged does not need to be licensed under Commercial Licensing if they are properly licensed for the edition and version being reimaged onto them.)

Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, October 15, 2019 2:45 PM
  • Thanks. A follow up question.

If my 30 or so Windows 7 Pro machines are in 3 different regions (UK, Hong Kong and Shanghai) do I need to buy my OEM licenses from resellers in those regions? Or can I just buy all 30 in one region and 'assign' to my machines as I wish?

I suspect not.

Wednesday, October 16, 2019 2:44 PM
  • Hello,

Sorry I am not sure on that question.

I am not aware of any restrictions that would disallow that, but that is an area I am not that knowledgeable on.

Wednesday, October 16, 2019 3:36 PM
  • Hi, 

We have not heard they have any changes between different regions on OEM license. But we recommend to contact reseller to check this information. We would appreciate if you could feedback your result after confirmed your issue. 

I noticed Darrell have replied some useful replies to your thread. If you think they are helpful for you, please mark them an answer. 

Bests, 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 23, 2019 6:38 AM