none
Task Scheduler corrupted

Question

• Task scheduler will not schedule or run tasks after reboot. When opening the task scheduler, I get "The selected task "(0)" no longer exists. To see the current tasks, click Refresh." If you refresh, the exact same error message comes up again.  If I schedule a task, it will run properly until the machine is rebooted. Then, it shows up under the Task scheduler library, but the "Next Run Time" is blank.

Please help.

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 8:22 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

You can try these steps:

1. Open the Task Scheduler Library.

2. Open Microsoft

3. Open Windows

4. Click on every folder until you get the code. (in my case it was the Defrag folder)

5. Open up "My Computer" and in address bar type (or copy and paste) C:\Windows\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\

6. Click on the folder that gave the error in the Task Scheduler

7. Delete what is INSIDE the folder....NOT the folder its self.

These similar thread may also helpful to you:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/error-messege-the-selected-task-0-no-longer-exists/01e60fa1-8004-40b4-9cf0-247fb80edb56

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/hu-HU/winserverManagement/thread/16bc7a63-93b7-4a39-bacb-8cc8ece21b41

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Leo Huang

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, February 02, 2012 3:28 AM
  • Leo,

Thanks for the reply!

I went through every folder as you described. Every folder I clicked on caused the error to open. I deleted the contents of every single folder and the error still comes up when I open the task scheduler. There is no error on the folders now, but the scheduler still does not work properly. This is way above my head and way too complicated. I should have purchased a mac. Is there not a way to re-install the task scheduler?

Thanks,

eric

ericjabaley
    Thursday, February 02, 2012 3:09 PM
  • Hi,

Windows 7 Task scheduler has no option to reinstall. You can try to create another user account and login to see if the same issue occurs.

If the issue persists, I suspect task scheduler component may corrupted, you can perform an in-place upgrade to fix it:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2255099

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Leo Huang

Friday, February 03, 2012 2:36 AM
  • Leo,

I created another user account and login, the same problem still exists.  I am nervous about the in-place upgrade fix you have provided a link to. Is it very involved, and will it disrupt my computer as it exist in any way?

Thanks again for your help,

eric

ericjabaley

Wednesday, February 08, 2012 2:16 PM
  •  

An in-place upgrade is the final alternative before you have to reinstall the operating system.

Performing a repair installation will not damage files and applications that are currently installed on your computer.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Leo Huang

Thursday, February 09, 2012 12:56 AM
  • Hi Eric,

Did you already do the in place update or are you still looking for a fix for this?

Michael. [MSFT]

Thursday, February 09, 2012 2:44 PM
  • No, I did not do the in place update.  It sounds like it will take a lot of time and be quite involved. I am still looking for a fix for this. This issue has been quite frustrating considering this is a brand new computer.

Thanks,

eric

ericjabaley

Thursday, February 09, 2012 2:55 PM
  • Hi,

Try this method:
    Delete related registry item in the following location.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tasks

Please locate to related folder with the same ID displayed on the error message, and delete this item.

Note: Pay attention to back up your registry before doing any modification.

Leo Huang

Friday, February 10, 2012 2:03 AM
  • Leo,

Thanks for the suggestion. Please keep in mind, I am not a computer programmer. I do not understand the instructions "... please locate to related folder with the same Id displayed on the error message".  When I open the folders under 'regedit' as you describe, under 'tasks' all of the folders are long strings of numbers and letters. I am not getting any kind of error codes or ID's that look like that any where.  The error I get is, "The selected task"(0)" no longer exists. To see the current tasks, click Refresh" There has to be an easier solution.

Thanks,

eric

ericjabaley

Friday, February 10, 2012 2:43 PM
  • For those who are directed to this page seeking a solution to; ( selected task "(0)" no longer exists ) should goto

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/error-messege-the-selected-task-0-no-longer-exists/01e60fa1-8004-40b4-9cf0-247fb80edb56  for a workable solution.

The in-place upgrade is a blunt instrument of a fix.

Thursday, April 16, 2015 7:18 PM
  • Leo,

Thanks for the suggestion. Please keep in mind, I am not a computer programmer. I do not understand the instructions "... please locate to related folder with the same Id displayed on the error message".  When I open the folders under 'regedit' as you describe, under 'tasks' all of the folders are long strings of numbers and letters. I am not getting any kind of error codes or ID's that look like that any where.  The error I get is, "The selected task"(0)" no longer exists. To see the current tasks, click Refresh" There has to be an easier solution.

Thanks,

eric

ericjabaley

The reason you don't understand the instructions has nothing to do with not 'being a programmer", the problem is these 'instructions' are nonsensical blather.  A 'pretend' / incompetent answer is worse than no answer.  
    Friday, October 02, 2015 9:18 AM
  • This is the only thing that solved my issue: https://technicallyeasy.net/selected-task-no-longer-exists/
    Friday, July 14, 2017 2:57 PM