Windows 10 Unable to renew IP Lease from DHCP Server RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Windows 10 laptop, which has developed an odd DHCP fault I've not seen before.

Until recently, the laptop connected wirelessly directly to the router provided by my ISP, and didn't have issues.  However, I recently moved it to a different Wireless Network inside my firewall, and joined it to my domain.  All went well, except that ever since, the laptop really struggles to renew it's IP lease from the DHCP server.

The default gateway on the workstations subnet (where the wireless network is) has a DHCP IP Helper configured (using RRAS), and forwards the request to my servers' subnet which is 1 hop away.  This works perfectly well for everything else on both subnets (servers all use DHCP and have static reservations configured on the DHCP server).  There are other Windows 10 clients connected wired and wirelessly on the workstation subnet.  I've tried various iterations of turning the wireless adapter off and back on, and ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew without luck.

Initially, the laptop would lose connection every hour.  The DHCP server was only giving out 1 hour leases as it had DHCP failover clustering configured on it, and the second node was down.  I've resolved this now, and it's giving out 8 hour leases again, but the laptop still gets the issue at the end of the 8 hours.

If the laptop is rebooted, it picks up an IP Address without any problems at all, but seems completely unable to renew an existing lease.

To confuse matters, it isn't even able to pick up an IP Address if it's connected back to the original wireless network on the ISP's router.  I've updated the wireless drivers on the laptop's NIC (which were out of date), but this hasn't made any difference.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Wednesday, March 16, 2016 4:42 PM

Answers

• Hi GBurch1,

Did the issue only occurred with the specific machine? Have you got any error code or are there any error messages recorded in the Event Viewer(Application and Services\Microsoft\Windows\Wireless-autoconfig)?
    Please take the following steps to have a troubleshoot.
    1.Run the built-in troubleshoot tool to have a diagnostic.
    Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Troubleshooting\All Categories
    2.Run the following command line to reset the tcp/ip stack
    ipconfig /flushdns (Clear the dns cache)
    nbtstat -RR (release and refresh NetBIOS names)
    netsh int ip reset (reset ip settings)
    netsh winsock reset (Reset Winsock Catalog)
    Reboot

Best

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 17, 2016 6:12 AM
  • My bet is that the IP Address Pool is exhausted, no more IP addresses to offer. Have a look at your DHCP server and the number of addresses it can offer.

Best regards George

Thursday, March 17, 2016 4:14 PM

All replies

• Hi GBurch1,

Did the issue only occurred with the specific machine? Have you got any error code or are there any error messages recorded in the Event Viewer(Application and Services\Microsoft\Windows\Wireless-autoconfig)?
    Please take the following steps to have a troubleshoot.
    1.Run the built-in troubleshoot tool to have a diagnostic.
    Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Troubleshooting\All Categories
    2.Run the following command line to reset the tcp/ip stack
    ipconfig /flushdns (Clear the dns cache)
    nbtstat -RR (release and refresh NetBIOS names)
    netsh int ip reset (reset ip settings)
    netsh winsock reset (Reset Winsock Catalog)
    Reboot

Best

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 17, 2016 6:12 AM
  • My bet is that the IP Address Pool is exhausted, no more IP addresses to offer. Have a look at your DHCP server and the number of addresses it can offer.

Best regards George

Thursday, March 17, 2016 4:14 PM
  • Hello GBurch,

Did you ever solve this problem?  I am experiencing something that sounds similar.

Thanks,

Jason

Tuesday, September 27, 2016 7:51 PM
  • I see this problem also on one of my machines. after the end of the leasetime the machine lost ip-address and creates an APIPA-Adress for the interface. normaly after a half of leasetime a renew is to expect.

if i start a ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew the machine has a new ip.

but ipconfig /renew whitout ipconfig /release will not work. for me it seems that on one place inside the stack the lease seems still active but on the interface the lease is expired.

Now i hope for an programmer who can debug this.

regards

Heiko

Wednesday, October 12, 2016 7:36 PM
  • Same problem here, reset the network cards didn't resolved the issue which is affecting a larger number of machines now.

I have just increased the DHCP lease to a 30 days from a 3 days to see if that help.  Most machines are desktops and there is no wireless access. 

Thinking about creating a logon script to release and renew the lease every time the machine is switched on as well.

Friday, December 2, 2016 12:21 PM
  • Same problem here, reset the network cards didn't resolved the issue which is affecting a larger number of machines now.

Do the machines use Windows Defender or third party protection? (Same question to Heiko and Jason if still applicable).

I've seen this with third party firewall (Symantec) and resolved with custom rules.  Still occurs very occasionally but seems to quickly resolve itself without release/renew.

Conversely, I've never had this issue when using built-in Windows Defender.

Friday, December 2, 2016 2:17 PM
  • we're having a similar issue.  Only seems to effect win10 boxes (latest version) and only a small number of at that.  Randomly PC's can't get an IP address and so get a 169.x.x.x, normally a release renew fixes the issue.  We have two 2012r2 DHCP servers setup in failover load balance mode, serving 3 class C address ranges lease time is 8 days. The next time it happens we're going to wireshark it and try and see what is going on
    Wednesday, December 7, 2016 11:42 AM
  • The next time it happens we're going to wireshark it and try and see what is going on
    Great!  Thanks for adding your experience and please post back with any updates.
    Wednesday, December 7, 2016 4:10 PM
  • Hello,

What AV and Firewall are you using?

Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, December 7, 2016 7:45 PM
  • Hello

We need netsh tracing to see what dhcp provider is doing during a renew attempt.

Netsh trace start capture=yes scenario=netconnection

Netsh trace stop

Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, December 7, 2016 8:20 PM
  • Hi, Same problem here, both wired and wireless connections. Anybody worked out what's going on?
    Thursday, December 8, 2016 11:14 AM
  • Guys this issue was caused by a recently released Windows Update. Check your machines that are not working and I am willing to be your event logs show updates recently installed. After a reboot from the 6th of December 2016 updates, DHCP renewal got stuffed up.

You can roll back the update to resolve or assign static IPs. In many cases, once the IP renews it's fine but in same cases, every reboot brings the issue back.

Thursday, December 8, 2016 2:50 PM
  • ipconfig/release and renew fixes but issue is re-appearing after every re-boot.

Latest windows update was Nov 9th, 2016

Hopefully Windows update team are aware now and will provide a permanent fix next update.

Saturday, December 10, 2016 10:27 PM
  • On Dec 9, my parents computers had the same issue.  One was Desktop with wired lan and using Norton for AV and Firewall.  The other is laptop with both wired and wireless, using Defender for both AV and FW.  Every time they boot they have to release and renew.  Not easy for 90 year old operators to understand.  I have not seen this on my computers and my updates are current.  May have dependency on the provider or the hardware used for the modem.  My service is through Cox Cable, theirs is DSL through a local phone company and is essentially obsolete technology. 
    Tuesday, December 13, 2016 8:06 PM
  • I have not seen this on my computers and my updates are current.
    New update today (Patch Tuesday) may address the issue.
    Tuesday, December 13, 2016 8:26 PM
  • FWIW I am running Insider Preview Build 14965 prerelease 161104.1700 and not having this problem. However two of our office systems running the current release are experiencing this error.

Thank you,RTIBobv

Wednesday, December 14, 2016 4:14 PM
  • Got the same problem here. My SOHO network is configured with static DHCP leases, for a 24h duration. DHCP server is a Ubiquity Network management key, and periodically receive a tempest of DHCP request from two Win 10 pro laptops, both up-to-date, both running windows defender as fw and av.

Symptom is as follow: the first laptop send a DHCP renew, which is accepted by the management key, but declined by the PC. At that moment starts a series of exchanges like this:

DHCPDISCOVER(br-lan) 38:b1:db:0c:2d:81 
    DHCPOFFER(br-lan) 192.168.0.53 38:b1:db:0c:2d:81 
    DHCPREQUEST(br-lan) 192.168.0.114 38:b1:db:0c:2d:81 
    DHCPACK(br-lan) 192.168.0.114 38:b1:db:0c:2d:81 LegalTyper
    DHCPREQUEST(br-lan) 192.168.0.191 38:b1:db:0c:2d:81 
    DHCPACK(br-lan) 192.168.0.191 38:b1:db:0c:2d:81 LegalTyper
    DHCPDISCOVER(br-lan) 38:b1:db:0c:2d:81 
    DHCPOFFER(br-lan) 192.168.0.53 38:b1:db:0c:2d:81 
    DHCPDECLINE(br-lan) 192.168.0.161 38:b1:db:0c:2d:81

After a few minutes of this, finally, the PC automatically shuts down its Ethernet card, then switch it up and accept the DHCP lease given (automatic IP stack reset?).

What's more problematic is that the second win10 PC starts the same behaviour just at that moment...

I will soon add a third Win10 laptop to my network, I hope this will not propagate to the new one...

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 12:39 AM
  • Did you try changing the DHCP lease period values? - I did, and was atleast able to connect to the internet.

I also couldnt assign reserved DHCP and I could RDP from one pc to another in my subnet... it will 'save the setting' but never take effect - inspite of restarting the router!

But I noticed ongoing issues with a 'new' wifi modem that Spectrum gave me but i knew this was unusually flaky

So Went and exchanged this for a "Arris" modem and its much better - starting with the interface! 

Sunday, February 4, 2018 9:59 PM
  • I think I have the same problem.  I read through this thread.  Am I correct, that no one figured out what causes this?

My situation:

On a home LAN with two Windows 10 computers and a few other non-Windows devices attached, one of the Windows 10 computers shows this problem. 

When it starts or wakes up after a few hours, it usually cannot obtain an IPv4 assignment.  It does obtain an IPv6 assignment.  If I restart Windows, the machine will usually get an IPv4 assignment.  Occasionally, I may have to restart it a couple of times.

When it has an IPv4 assignment and I run ipconfig /renew, the command times out with an error message, and the machine is left without an IPv4 assignment.  The cable modem that provides DHCP service to the LAN shows nothing in its log when the Windows 10 computer fails to get or renew an IPv4 assignment.  It's as if the modem received nothing from the machine that tried to renew.

I've flushed DNS and Winsock without any effect.  I don't see anything in the event logs that suggested to me that it was related to this.  I am not a network expert.  I'm not sure what to look for or do.  It's not a critical problem since the only penalty is some wasted time restarting Windows. 

JLG

Thursday, February 15, 2018 7:10 PM
  • Windows has always "stored" its routing table in between shutdowns.  Now windows 10 is even more sticky.  Issuing a "route print" within a command shell will reveal the interfaces used by 0.0.0.0.   That interface maybe what the IP address of the adapator is being permanently set to, particularly if the PC is still on the same subnet.  For example if your PC was given the address 192.168.1.10 it will setup a route entry with interface 192.168.1.10 to 0.0.0.0 - permanently.  If you now try to force a change of DHCP lease (ie. to make the PC pick up the address 192.168.1.99) the windows 10 PC will ignore it and persist with 192.168.1.10 as its IP address.    Clearly MS are having trouble making their PC's extra tolerant to network mismanagement while at the same time a hindrance to network engineers everywhere.  I suspect windows starts up, tries its old routing table, finds that it can get a connection and sticks with it, instead of listening and obeying the DHCP server.  Perhaps using a proper windows DHCP server works but router based DHCP serverrs might need to send extra DHCP settings to force windows 10 to listen.  Did MS just open a door for network hackers?

• Edited by pgpcsi Wednesday, February 28, 2018 1:56 PM
    Wednesday, February 28, 2018 1:52 PM
  • Hello Heiko or whoever runs into a similar problem as Heiko described..

We had a similar Problem with Win10 and our corporate WLAN:
    Clients did not receive an IP-Adress and stayed in a Loop of unanswered DHCPREQUST's.

I've configured the following Commands on our Cisco Catalyst 3850's

conf t
     no ip dhcp snooping wireless bootp-broadcast enable
     end
    wr

And our Clients received the DHCPNAK's and knew what to do: send a DHCPDISCOVER
    Our DHCP-Problem was solved and is running as smooth as it should.

HTH

Monday, November 12, 2018 4:28 PM
  • Same problem here on my home network.

I had my lease set to 10 minutes (just how it came default and works fine on *everything* else) and I just realized tonight that my laptop's network drops every ten minutes for a second, occasionally for more than a second.

I just bumped the lease to 24 hours but I'd like to know why my Windows 10 laptop now waits until the address completely expires before renewing when my other machines automatically renew at the end of the lease without any loss of network access.
    Monday, January 21, 2019 12:42 AM