none
RDS 2012 r2 collections show black screen and then close

Question

• Greetings,

We have just deployed two Server 2012 r2 RDS Session collections (each with two RDSH servers, and both going through the same gateway/broker server), and during testing had no issues, but as soon as we rolled it into production, our users have been experiencing black screens when attempting to log in, and the Remote Desktop window just closes (no actual login is performed).

This seems to happen intermittently, and on both collections at different times.  I thought I had solved it initially by disabling use of UDP in the RDP clients, but it wasn't a permanent fix.

Looking at the event log of one of the affected servers, There seems to be an Event ID 36 generated at every logon attempt with the following message: An error occurred when transitioning from CsrConnected in response to EvCsrInitialized. (ErrorCode 0x80070102)

After scouring the web looking for answers, nothing came up.  Any help here would be appreciated.

Edit:  Apparently I can't get the screenshot to attach, but it is located here: http://imgur.com/rLIoxPD

• Edited by Bynar Wednesday, July 23, 2014 6:36 PM typo
    Wednesday, July 23, 2014 6:32 PM

Answers

• So, it appears we have figured out the reason for this (although, I'm still unsure of the root cause).  As bizarre as it sounds, it appears to have been one of our Wyse C10 thin clients causing the issue.  When a particular user logged into either of our collections, we would see the black screen on that collection.

We reset her profile, but it still persisted until we actually changed out the terminal with another, and then the black screen issue disappeared.

I took the offending C10 back to our lab and logged in with it, and the issue seems to have disappeared, so it turned out to be a combination of the unit, and the office it was located in.

Thanks everyone for the feedback and suggestions!

• Marked as answer by Bynar Wednesday, August 27, 2014 5:00 PM
    Wednesday, August 27, 2014 5:00 PM

All replies

• We've seen something similar to this and have an ongoing support case with MS about it. Those users who are experiencing this issue, are they making fresh connections or re-connecting to an existing session? If all of them are re-connecting then it could be the same thing.
    Wednesday, July 23, 2014 7:30 PM
  • The short answer is "both".  I believe it's mostly on new connections, but there was one or two who had successfully connected first thing this morning, but then couldn't get back in afterwards.
    Wednesday, July 23, 2014 7:58 PM
  • Just wanted to give an update, as this issue is still plaguing us.  It appears to be limited to one of our two collections, but the other collection hasn't seen much utilization yet - so that may change.

When I try to log in using the hyper-V console to one of our specific session hosts, it just sits on "Please wait for the Remote Desktop Configuration" and doesn't proceed.  I would guess that when the remote desktop clients are trying to connect, the server sits at the same point, and the clients just time out.

Any wisdom out there to point us in the right direction?

Monday, August 11, 2014 8:26 PM
  • I'm having this issue as well, though I'm getting a slightly different error. 

Event ID is still 36, error states:

An error occurred when transitioning from CsrConnected in response to EvCsrInitialized. (ErrorCode 0x800708CA)

So different ErrorCode, but same event ID.  I thought our black screen issues were due to us using Wyse thin clients (running the Wyse thin OS), but looks like it might be other things as well.

Our problems seem to stem when re-connecting specifically to sessions that have been idle for some time.  We're using a small PoC environment right now, everything is on one server.  User profile disks are obviously network stored, but that storage resides in the one server as well (which is playing connection broker, gateway, and virtualization host).

Anyone else experienced in this?

Wednesday, August 20, 2014 10:21 PM
  • Hi Paul,

I took another look at my event logs, and I found the same event  that you have (with the same error code) on our broker only.  It didn't show up on any of our session host servers.

My Boss is on the phone with Microsoft support (and has been for the better part of the last week) trying to figure this out.  Still no resolution, though.

Wednesday, August 20, 2014 10:28 PM
  • HI

I have encountered the same problem.

It looks like DIR (Device Installation Restrictions) is blocking the device for RDP-keyboard and mouse.

So I have added these devices under "Allow Installation of devices that matches these device IDs"

UMB\umbus

TS_INPT\TS_KBD

TS_INPT\TS_MOU

• Edited by Baldrickus Wednesday, August 27, 2014 11:23 AM
    • Proposed as answer by m.niederehe Wednesday, January 10, 2018 12:39 PM
    Wednesday, August 27, 2014 11:22 AM
  • So, it appears we have figured out the reason for this (although, I'm still unsure of the root cause).  As bizarre as it sounds, it appears to have been one of our Wyse C10 thin clients causing the issue.  When a particular user logged into either of our collections, we would see the black screen on that collection.

We reset her profile, but it still persisted until we actually changed out the terminal with another, and then the black screen issue disappeared.

I took the offending C10 back to our lab and logged in with it, and the issue seems to have disappeared, so it turned out to be a combination of the unit, and the office it was located in.

Thanks everyone for the feedback and suggestions!

• Marked as answer by Bynar Wednesday, August 27, 2014 5:00 PM
    Wednesday, August 27, 2014 5:00 PM
  • Hello all, any update on this? I am experiencing the same problems, although i am not using any Thinclients. Just Windows 7/10 laptops and macbooks..

Hope to hear from you..

Thursday, August 25, 2016 8:59 AM
  • you can find few reliability updates in this link - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2933664

See if this helps!

Hari Kumar --- Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS-IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights

Thursday, August 25, 2016 9:57 AM
  • Thanks for your quick response, but the Servers are all up-to-date.

Is there any clue on what is responsible for this problem?

Thursday, August 25, 2016 10:17 AM
  • Hello all, any update on this? I am experiencing the same problems, although i am not using any Thinclients. Just Windows 7/10 laptops and macbooks..

Hope to hear from you..

Hello all,

I've exact the same issue.
    The server is up to date, but RDS keeps disconnecting.

Any update on this?

Friday, August 26, 2016 11:26 AM
  • Just happened to us as well. The remote user is on Mac OS. Whatever they did seems to be preventing me from getting access to the server with mstsc /admin as well.
    Monday, September 12, 2016 8:50 PM
  • For those of you just starting to experience this, see https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/Lync/en-US/4052abbc-e98c-4a94-9255-ae92deb686d2/event-4005-winlogin-windows-logon-process-has-unexpectedly-terminated?forum=winserverTS&prof=required. Microsoft is working on a fix for a problem caused by July/August 2016 patches.
    Thursday, September 15, 2016 5:20 PM
  • Does anyone know if this patch resolved the issues of the black screens?  Searching the web and not coming across anything.  Curious if this update (Nov 2016 Rollup) caused any other issues as well.
    Monday, November 21, 2016 3:43 PM
  • long time searching for our problem. Never thought that our Device Installation Restrictions have side effects on RDP. Thanks alot :-)  
    Wednesday, January 10, 2018 12:43 PM
  • Did you end up fixing your issue?  We have a few servers that are randomly doing this where we can't RDP into them as it just logs in and off immediately.  Trying to find the root cause of it but cant figure it out.
    Friday, January 26, 2018 12:08 AM