none
LSI Logic Ultra160 PCI SCSI Adapter 53C1010-66 Device

Question

• jeanfor Users MedalsUsers MedalsUsers MedalsUsers MedalsUsers Medals8 hours 3 minutes ago
    I get the following message below

The following issues are preventing Windows from upgrading. Cancel the upgrade, complete each task, and then restart the upgrade to continue.
    • For these items, make the following changes:
    •  
    •  
      Install updated drivers for the following devices. Open Control Panel and search for "update device drivers".
    •  
      • Storage controllers: LSI Logic Ultra160 PCI SCSI Adapter; 53C1010-66 Device
    • The drivers that I have are the latest drivers and there are no other drivers. Version is 5.9.9.0

Any idea how to solve this. I cannot move forward without a solution .....

Sunday, May 10, 2009 12:45 PM

Answers

• I was able to get a previous version from the HP site for x4000 workstation. Version is 5.9.0.0.  And this worked fine.....
    • Marked as answer by jeanfor Sunday, May 10, 2009 2:36 PM
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 2:36 PM
  • I finally found the solution.  The issue was not with the onboard SCSI controller (although I have disabled the onboard SCSI controller and added an Adaptec 39320A which is compatible with windows 7. 

The issue was to have hyperthreading turned off for the Xeon processors in the bios of the HP x4000 workstation. 
    Once hyperthreading was turned on windows 7 installation continued with no issues.
    • Marked as answer by jeanfor Sunday, November 08, 2009 4:32 AM
    Sunday, November 08, 2009 4:32 AM

All replies

• I was able to get a previous version from the HP site for x4000 workstation. Version is 5.9.0.0.  And this worked fine.....
    • Marked as answer by jeanfor Sunday, May 10, 2009 2:36 PM
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 2:36 PM
  • Hi jeanfor,

I'm having exactly same issue that you had.
    Were you able to install Windows 7 onto SCSI drive with LSI Logic driver v5.9.0.0?
    I couldn't make install program to recognize the SCSI driver v5.9.0.0.
    Did you uninstall the v5.9.9.0 in Vista and install v5.9.0.0 and then installed Windows 7?
    Any help installing Windows 7 on this SCSI drives would be greatly appreciated as I have to throw away SCSI drives otherwise.

Thanks.
    Sunday, July 26, 2009 7:18 PM
  • I have disabled the onboard lsi u160 and installed an Adpatec 39320A which is supported by windows 7 (hostraid disabled. Hostraid is not supported). I am still having an issue after rebooting and after loading disk.sys
    Saturday, November 07, 2009 9:52 PM
  • I finally found the solution.  The issue was not with the onboard SCSI controller (although I have disabled the onboard SCSI controller and added an Adaptec 39320A which is compatible with windows 7. 

The issue was to have hyperthreading turned off for the Xeon processors in the bios of the HP x4000 workstation. 
    Once hyperthreading was turned on windows 7 installation continued with no issues.
    • Marked as answer by jeanfor Sunday, November 08, 2009 4:32 AM
    Sunday, November 08, 2009 4:32 AM
  • If you need a solution to install windows on your x4000 please contact me.
    Sunday, November 08, 2009 4:34 AM
  • The scsi host adapter drivers need to be added during (Custom) installation when you get to the where do you want to install page (add drivers in blue). Point it to a usb flash drive or floppy with the extracted drivers.

I was able to get an old Precison 530 with onboard AIC intstalled using old drivers.
    Sunday, November 08, 2009 1:27 PM
  • You are right and I did and this did not seem to solve my problem. Microsoft said it was the controller. So I got a 39360A which is fully supported by windows 7 (They go very cheap...) and found out the same problem. I reviewed my bios settings one more time and saw the Hyperthreading was turned off. This was my real issue. I have Windows 7 up and running and I am very happy. It runs really fast on my HP x4000
    • Edited by jeanfor Friday, November 13, 2009 3:09 PM
    Sunday, November 08, 2009 2:01 PM
  • Dear Jeanfor,
    I had a deep look at your issue because I have been experiencing the same problem.
    In fact, I have an HP XW5000 with the same controller LSI-53C1010-66, and same inconvenience arises.

Do you think the real issue is that bios setting? Is there any possibility I might solve this on my xw5000 as well? Must say I have an INTEL Pentium 4 processor, not a XEON...
    Friday, November 13, 2009 2:09 PM
  • 1. Make sure you run the Upgrade Advisor (not the beta, there is a more recent Upgrade Advisor on MS web site). Go carefully though the list of devices that are not supported. LSI should show "not supported". It is OK as long as you have the drivers. Any other devices that are not supported should be removed from the system for the initial installation
    2. If you want to be able to install the LSI-53C1010-66 successfully, you must have a driver for it.
     a. Are you upgrading from XP/Vista. What message do you get when you start the installation? Do it get thru the first reboot?
     b. If you make a clean install you will need the XP or Vista driver for the LSI controller. You can go on the HP site or the LSI site to get the XP driver.
    3. Check your bios, and see if there is a setting for the processor with the ability to disable or enable Hyper-Threading. If so, make sure Hyper-Threading is on.

Keep me posted on your progress.

PS If you want to make sure your scsi controller is fully supported by Windows 7 get an Adaptec 39320A (hostraid disabled, hostraid is not supported yet by 7 and adaptec has not decided to make a driver for windows 7). You can find them on auction sites for very cheap. Make sure you do not get a DELL OEM 39320 as they have disabled the option to turn hostraid off. (it is possible to flash the card back to the original adaptec functionality, but the SEEPROM has to be reloaded as well as the original bios flashed)
    Friday, November 13, 2009 3:07 PM
  • alfylink,
    Hopefully you can still access the controller on boot. As HP is only showing an LSI driver for LSI-53C1020 & 30 here, (xw5000) perhaps the drivers from LSI for a 53C1010 would work here.

Windows version (ASPI). If you right click and extract the folder it creates a folder with the install utility and files. Put those files on a floppy or usb.

When you boot from the Win 7 dvd (custom install)and it gets to the page no disk available there should be an add drivers option. Point it to those files on the removable storage. When you click ok it should then find the scsi HDD to install.

Let me if that works or what you have tried.

Friday, November 13, 2009 7:40 PM
  • Dear Jeanfor and Nano Warp,
    I thank you very much for your support, but I couldn't solve the problem anyway. There is no possibility to access the controller, either by BIOS either by feeding it with its drivers during the installation process. I think I will renounce to my SCSI hard disk and, since the workstation supports EIDE, I will install an ordinary HDD. This could be a compromise and a workaround to let Win 7 run on my HPXW5000. If I succeed, I'll keep you posted.
    Monday, November 23, 2009 9:24 PM
  • Dear Jeanfor and Nano Warp,
    I thank you very much for your support, but I couldn't solve the problem anyway. There is no possibility to access the controller, either by BIOS either by feeding it with its drivers during the installation process. I think I will renounce to my SCSI hard disk and, since the workstation supports EIDE, I will install an ordinary HDD. This could be a compromise and a workaround to let Win 7 run on my HPXW5000. If I succeed, I'll keep you posted.
    I feel like I'm a bit late to the party, but here's a solution which I just got running last night:

My hardware setup:
    Phenom II x4 955, Asus M4A79XTD EVO
    Tekram DC-390U3W PCI SCSI adapter (LSI 53C1010 chipset)
    Multiple hard drives attached to an SAS controller, onboard SATA, and one attached to the 53C1010

1. I extracted the LSI drivers from a Vista x64 disk (SYM_U3.INF, SYM_U3.PNF, SYM_U3.SYS, etc.) to a local directory.
    2. I extracted all the Windows 7 (x64) files from the ISO file to (another) local directory.
    3. Opened up vLite (http://www.vlite.net/) and had that integrate the LSI drivers into the Windows 7 installation directory, then created a new bootable ISO.
    4. Burn ISO to DVD, try installing Windows 7

Now here's where it gets interesting.  Even though the Vista x64 LSI driver was integrated into the Win7 disc, the drive attached to the controller still wasn't detected by the Win7 setup.  I'm not sure if it matters, but I ran the Win7 setup in Test Mode (with F8 at startup).

One thing I did which may or may not matter is I also had the Vista x64 LSI drivers on a USB key and had used Driver Signature Enforcement Overrider (http://www.blogsdna.com/2775/install-unsigned-drivers-on-windows-7-vista-with-driver-signature-enforcement-overrider.htm) to add a digital signature to the SYM_U3.SYS file from another Windows 7 machine.  I don't believe it worked since the Win7 setup complained that it couldn't find any drivers with a valid digital signature even while in test mode.

5. Install Windows 7 anyway (to a different partition -- I had intended to install it to the drive attached to the 53C1010)
    6. Post-install on first boot, say "Yes" (or whatever to that effect) when Windows 7 asks "Do you want to use the unsigned driver"?

From this point on, this Windows 7 install was able to see the LSI 53C1010 device, and I was able to use the drive after assigning it a drive letter in Disk Management.

Out of curiosity, since I still wanted Windows 7 to run off of that particular SCSI drive -- Atlas 10K V drives are quite snappy -- I ran the Windows 7 setup AGAIN from within the Windows 7 install which successfully loaded the 53C1010 drivers.  This setup had no issues; I was able to select the drive attached to the 53C1010 within the Win7 setup and from there it was pretty much a standard install.

Hope that helps.
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 8:47 PM
  • Does anyone can collect the drivers zipped file and upload to share together?! It so tired to find a Vista and extract the 53C1010 files.

eX

Saturday, January 28, 2012 7:16 AM