none
Hibernation fails after installation of SP 1

Question

• Hallo,

when I try to hibernate the computer via startmenu, the screen goes black as I expect. After some time the computer will shut off, no BSOD, no message.

When I switch the computer on, I get a message from boot manager that my system was not shutdown properly. I have to boot Vista normally.

The eventlog doesn't have any information about a BSOD or something like that. Only

"Das System wurde zuvor am 23.02.2008 um 13:42:08 unerwartet heruntergefahren."

Translation: 'System was shutdown unexpectedly'

My Software/Hardware via 'lspci':

Vista Ultimate x64 SP 1

00:00.0 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP55 Memory Controller (rev a1)
    00:01.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP55 LPC Bridge (rev a2)
    00:01.1 SMBus: nVidia Corporation MCP55 SMBus (rev a2)
    00:02.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP55 USB Controller (rev a1)
    00:02.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP55 USB Controller (rev a2)
    00:04.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP55 IDE (rev a1)
    00:05.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP55 SATA Controller (rev a2)
    00:05.1 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP55 SATA Controller (rev a2)
    00:06.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP55 PCI bridge (rev a2)
    00:06.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP55 High Definition Audio (rev a2)
    00:08.0 Bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP55 Ethernet (rev a2)
    00:0c.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP55 PCI Express bridge (rev a2)
    00:0d.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP55 PCI Express bridge (rev a2)
    00:0e.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP55 PCI Express bridge (rev a2)
    00:0f.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP55 PCI Express bridge (rev a2)
    00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] HyperTransport Technology Configuration
    00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Address Map
    00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] DRAM Controller
    00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Miscellaneous Control
    05:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV530LE [Radeon X1600/X1650 PRO]
    05:00.1 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV530LE [Radeon X1650 PRO] (Secondary)

Hybrid standby is switched off.

Greetings,

Martin

Sunday, February 24, 2008 4:13 PM

Answers

• Hello Martin,

We have found that sometimes the BCD file may have issues.

You can try this to fix the BCD file.

1. Run CMD.EXE as administrator

2. Run the following command: bcdedit -enum all

Look for "Resume from Hibernate" in the output from the command above(example below):

Resume from Hibernate

---------------------

identifier {3d8d3081-33ac-11dc-9a41-806e6f6e6963}

device partition=C:

path \Windows\system32\winresume.exe

description Windows Vista (TM) Enterprise (recovered)

inherit {resumeloadersettings}

filedevice partition=C:

filepath \hiberfil.sys

pae Yes

debugoptionenabled No

3. Once you have found it, copy the value for identifier (in this example - {3d8d3081-33ac-11dc-9a41-806e6f6e6963})

4. Run the following command: bcdedit /deletevalue {3d8d3081-33ac-11dc-9a41-806e6f6e6963} inherit

5. Test hibernation.

Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

Tuesday, March 4, 2008 7:37 PM

All replies

• Hello Martin,

Look for "Resume from Hibernate" in the output from the command above(example below):

Resume from Hibernate

---------------------

device partition=C:

filedevice partition=C:

filepath \hiberfil.sys

pae Yes

debugoptionenabled No

3. Once you have found it, copy the value for identifier (in this example - {3d8d3081-33ac-11dc-9a41-806e6f6e6963})

4. Run the following command: bcdedit /deletevalue {3d8d3081-33ac-11dc-9a41-806e6f6e6963} inherit

5. Test hibernation.

Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Tuesday, March 4, 2008 7:37 PM
  • Hello

I have the same Problem with Hibernate. I used the Software Assurance DVD Vista Enterprise 32bit with SP1 included. Until now I have many Problems with Vista SP1. I think we will wait to use SP1. There are too much problems...

Wednesday, March 5, 2008 12:42 PM
  • Hi Darrell, thanks for the info, that worked for me, remarkably.

What would happen is I would go to hibernate everything would be peachy, but when I would start the computer up I would see a message like:

"Windows did not shut down successfully"

That would happen whenever I would hibernate. But it only started happening after I ran startup repair from my pre-SP1 DVD, although I don't know if that has anything to do with it. I didn't have any corruption I was just adding linux and I screwed up the boot, so I ran startup repair from the DVD which repaired the boot, and then I could boot. However I couldn't hibernate after that. I tried the following:

I deleted BCD, rebuilt it (from my Vista DVD if that makes a diff), that didn't work.

I deleted bootmgr, ran startup repair, which reinstalled bootmgr (from Vista DVD). That didn't work.

I deleted hiberfil, \windows\bootstat and \boot\bootstat files. That made things worse. Then whenever I would hibernate, it would shutdown fine, and then I would start the computer up again and it would just boot into windows like I didn't even hibernate. I searched the internet for

"Windows did not shut down successfully"

and I found this guy:

http://www.vistaheads.com/forums/microsoft-public-windows-vista-general/197920-hibernate-fails-after-installing-sp1.html

but nothing else similar.

Then I did some general search on SP1 and hibernation and I found this board re SP1, and so I searched for hibernation here.

ANyway long story short,

bcdedit /deletevalue {guid} inherit

worked.

It did take a very long time to hibernate (15min) and resume after I issued that command. In my event viewer I see this:

Windows has resumed from standby:

Standby Duration : 878319ms

Standby Incident Time (UTC) : 3/6/2008 4:17:40 AM

Resume Duration : 17059ms

Resume Incident Time (UTC) : 3/6/2008 4:38:41 AM

IsDegradation : false

so I'm hoping that's a one-time occurence in slowness

Thursday, March 6, 2008 5:05 AM
  • SP1 Beta fixed my desktop hibernation.
    SP1 RTM killed hibernation on my Dell Inspiron 1720 laptop with Vista Ultimate.
    Your solution worked for me too. Smile
    Thanks Darrell.
    Sunday, March 16, 2008 7:29 PM
  • Thanks for your help, worked great for me! Smile
    Wednesday, March 19, 2008 6:09 PM
  • I tried this, it did not work for me.  But that may be because my problem manifested differently.

I am running Vista Ultimate.  My SP1 install failed at the stage 2 reboot.  After the reboot, I got a 0xc0000098 error, with hal.dll bad or missing.  I was able to recover from this using a Vista Home Basic install DVD, and running the repair option twice.  The foirst time, I recieved the same error.  The second time, it appeared to restore the system to the restore point I had set prior to the installation of SP1.

I have tried the method above, and I have also disabled and reenabled the hibernation using powercfg hibernate on|off commands.

After my first attempt with the above method of repairing hibernation, I tried to do it a second time, but I now get an 'element not found' error.

Thursday, March 20, 2008 1:52 AM
  • My first suggestion is to run a memory test from your Vista DVD. You didn't mention the actual message you received, but if it was something like "windows did not shut down properly" I suggest:

If your memory tests ok make a BCD from scratch:

How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows Vista

Make sure the Vista DVD startup repair detects your windows installation before you actually execute anything on the command line.

If after that you still have a hibernation problem (you'll reboot and try to hibernate) I suggest you then remove the inherit identifier from the hibernation entry (as noted in this thread). If after that you still have the problem, I suggest you delete bootstat.dat and try making another BCD.

Also you didn't mention anything about your hardware or the actual message you received. Did you receive a message like "windows did not shut down properly?"

Thursday, March 20, 2008 4:24 AM
  • I am getting the 'Windows did not shut down properly' message.  I have no memory problems.  I'm running Vista Ultimate on a Dell Inspiron 9300.  I followed the instructions to rebuild bcd from the link you provided,

This alone did not work, however, I noticed that startup went a lot faster.

I then deleted the identifier, and tried again, with no success. 

I restarted and booted from my installation DVD, and renamed bootstat.dat (after attrib -h -s so I could), and again rebuild the BCD.

None of this has worked.

Thursday, March 20, 2008 5:29 PM
  • Thanks, this worked for me.
    Marc
    Saturday, March 22, 2008 3:22 AM
  • Had the same problem and this worked.

Darrell Gorter [MSFT] wrote:

Hello Martin,

Resume from Hibernate

---------------------

device partition=C:

filedevice partition=C:

filepath \hiberfil.sys

pae Yes

debugoptionenabled No

5. Test hibernation.

Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Saturday, March 22, 2008 2:32 PM
  • Hello Darrell,

It is not working to me, I did the procedure below but I still have the hibernation problem. My Vista is in Spanish, do you see any problem using your procedure for that version? 

Resume from Hibernate

---------------------

device partition=C:

filedevice partition=C:

filepath \hiberfil.sys

pae Yes

debugoptionenabled No

5. Test hibernation.

Thanks in advance,

Rodrigo Cabanas

Saturday, March 22, 2008 3:45 PM
  • Well, I downloaded the full install of SP1 from MS, and was able to complete the install.  Hibernate still does not work, so I am trying these steps again.

Sunday, March 23, 2008 3:32 AM
  • This advice worked me.

I'm running Vista Home Premium on a Fujitsu Laptop with SP1.  My machine would hibernate but would fail to start.

Dave

Sunday, March 23, 2008 11:41 AM
  • Also, you could delete hiberfil.sys, then startup again and try to hibernate. Really I don't know if doing that will do anything, but that's one of the things I did while trying to figure out the problem. Please remember, as noted in my first post to this thread, initially after I did that I was worse off (the computer would start up as if there was no hibernation).

Monday, March 24, 2008 10:07 PM
  • well... the method posted didn't worked for me... and i find that hiberfil.sys does not exist... (dir c:\hiberfil.sys /a)

so the following solution worked for me...

powercfg -h on

you should then be able to see hiberfil.sys in c:\ (if hibernate file is in cSmile

after that .... hibernating/sleep seems to takes longer time now then before...

if you still don't see hiberfil.sys then you may need to 'powercfg -h off' first.

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 9:52 AM
  • I did not have teh hiberfil.sys file on my system.  However, a second round through the steps previously mentioned (deleting the identifier) after completeing the install of SP1 using the full package DL from Microsoft has restored my system to proper operation.

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 5:01 PM
  • I, too, followed the bcdedit instructions, and at resuming from hibernation Vista went on to show my desktop. 5 seconds later it crashed with BSoD: STOP 0×0000007F. Before installing SP1 I had no problems with hibernation. (Well, there was one: my USB wireless LAN adapter stoped working. I had to unplug and re-plug it, each time after awakening from hibernation.)

I have Vista Ultimate, RAID 5 on the Intel ICH9 chipset, GeForce 8500 GT garphic card, CPU Q6600, 2GB RAM.

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 2:19 AM
  • Hi Darrell,

Thanx a lot, bcdedit worked for me.

I have a Dell Inspiron 9400 with Vista Ultimate.

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 6:58 AM
  • Darrell,

Having the same problem but when I enter the command all I get is "The boot configuration data store could not be opened. Access is denied." Any ideas? Thanks.
    Wednesday, April 23, 2008 10:59 PM
  • Thank you Darrell, worked for me too on a Toshiba Satellite X200-23G, with Vista Home SP1 installed. Prior to aplying your patch hibernate was working but the system wasn't resuming properly (same "Windows did not shut down successfully" message). All is working well now.
    Also, sometimes the system wasn't resuming properly from sleep state - I'm guessing it was hybrid sleep. Will check again now...

Anyway, since there's an obviously huge base reporting the same problem, couldn't this solution be somehow distributed as an update?
    Wednesday, May 7, 2008 10:47 PM
  • This procedure worked like a charm. Thank you very  much.

Friday, May 9, 2008 3:24 AM
  • Hello,

I have a similar but not identical problem that this solution did not fix. System hibernates OK. It begins the resume but freezes solid during the resume screen process. No messages, no timeouts, no blue screens. Everything just stops working. Memory test OK but I am running 4Gb RAM installed of which Vista x86 appears to be using 3008Mb

Hibernate worked fine on this machine with SP1 last release candidate, but when I installed the released final sp1, this started to happen. Any suggestions welcome please.

What does the debug option in bcdedit hibernate do? Any log files I can create or look at?

Jeltz

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 8:08 AM
  • It sounds like you have a hardware problem, and not the issue that's described in this thread.

I had a similar problem when I changed the SATA mode in my BIOS. For example, if I hibernate in one SATA mode and then resume with another the computer would freeze. If the computer is set to resume from a hibernate, I don't mess with BIOS settings anymore. I plan for a reboot, where I'll have a "clean" start.

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 5:01 PM
  •  

Ok your comment about BIOS settings got me thinking.... and I solved it.. To Recap

The symptoms of my problem are:

Hibernate ok, on resume the system freezes, no blue screen, no error message

On reboot and delete restoration point, same happens

On reboot in ANY safe mode, same happens

BTW my motherboard is ASUS P5B Deluxe

BUT

Unplug PC to kill standby power to motherboard

System now boots OK

To fix hibernate problem:

using BCDEDIT, turn off data execution prevention

bcdedit /set {current} nx AlwaysOff

set hibernate pae to NO

reboot

turn off Execute disable setting in Bios (cpu settings)

reboot

check hibernate now works

It works but when I plugged any usb device in the system immediately froze

reboot

turn off any legacy USB in BIOS (note usb keyboard can't select windows f8 boot seetings with this disabled)

Reboot

System now works and hibernates perfectly

I have now turned The execute disable and DEP back ON and the system continues to work......

Here is hoping......

BTW S3 has never ever worked (and still does not now) but thats a whole other story...

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 1:37 AM
  •  vmirage wrote:
    so the following solution worked for me...

powercfg -h on

Thanks vmirage, that fixed the problem for me. I found the following page which says the problem can be caused by the Disk Cleanup Utility, I think that must be what happened, I ran it after the install and I probably accidentally told it to delete the Hibernate file:

http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/2106/vista_restore_hibernate_option
    Sunday, May 18, 2008 12:48 PM
  • Thanks a lot Darrell! I too had the same symptoms mbrenn had after installing Service Pack 1 for Vista x32 and now I finally found the answer.

Kind regards,
    Infinity
    "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"

Friday, July 4, 2008 6:21 PM
  • Hi. I have de same problem but i have XP Pro SP3. Can I do de same procedure?? or are there another solution??

Thanks a lot.

Thursday, July 17, 2008 3:30 PM
  • Same problem with me on XP SP3 - worked fine for a while and then stops resuming.  The desktop will load sometimes and then freeze - you can see the mouse pointer, but everything is locked up.  When you reboot it doesn't even ask if you want to delete the restore point.  I dualboot vista and that still resumes fine.  I'm also using a P5B like the other user.
    Tuesday, July 22, 2008 4:31 AM
  •  

I have the exact same problem with SLEEP. I tell the system to sleep, the screen goes off, the hard drive runs for a minute or so, then the computer just turns off and when I later turn it back on I get the same error messsage "System was shutdown unexpectedly" and the safe boot options.

I've only tried to hibernate once or twice and the same thing happened.

-Luther

Friday, July 25, 2008 10:07 PM
  • Hi,

Please go to this site and the link here, hopefully it would resolve the issue..... http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929658

I have Windows Vista Premium and had Hibernate working all the time, one day it suddenly disappeared. I spent whole day thinking about it going into power options and advanced settings, sleep etc but could not find my around the HIBERNATE!!! After doing some research downloaded couple of utilities but still no Help.

I found the above stated link and tried and it worked for me. I paste here the suggestions for your ease.

P Sharma - India

The Hibernate option is not available in Windows Vista

Article ID : 929658
    Last Review : March 15, 2007
    Revision : 2.5

SYMPTOMS

In Windows Vista, you may experience one or more of the following symptoms:
    The Hibernate option is not available in the Start menu power options menu.
    The Hibernate option is not available in the Shut Down Windows dialog box.

Note To open the Shut Down Windows dialog box, press ALT+F4.
    The Hibernate option is not available on the power button menu that appears on the secure desktop.

Note You can access the secure desktop's power button menu when you log off from Windows Vista.

Back to the top

CAUSE

This issue occurs if one of the following conditions is true:
    The Disk Cleanup Utility and has been used to delete the Hibernation File Cleaner.
    The computer does not support the hibernation feature.
    The hibernation feature is disabled.
    The Hybrid Sleep feature is enabled.

The Hybrid Sleep feature puts the computer to sleep and generates a hibernation file when the user chooses the Sleepoption in any of the power option menus. Therefore, Hibernate does not appear as a power option when Hybrid Sleep is enabled.

Back to the top

RESOLUTION

To resolve this issue, use the PowerCfg command-line tool to enable the hibernation feature. To do this, follow these steps.

Note If the computer does not support the hibernation feature, you cannot enable the feature. For information about how to use the PowerCfg tool to determine whether the computer supports the hibernation feature, see the "More Information" section.
    1. Click Start, type command in the Start Search box, right-click Command Prompt in the Programs list, and then click Run as administrator.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or click Continue.
    2. At the command prompt, type powercfg /hibernate on.

Back to the top

MORE INFORMATION

You can also use the PowerCfg command-line tool to determine whether the computer supports the hibernation feature. To do this, follow these steps:
    1. Click Start, type command in the Start Search box, right-click Command Prompt in the Programs list, and then click Run as administrator.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.
    2. At the command prompt, type powercfg /a.
    The PowerCfg tool generates output that resembles the following:
    The following sleep states are available on this system: Standby ( S1 S3 ) Hibernate Hybrid Sleep 
    The following sleep states are not available on this system: Standby (S2) 
    The system firmware does not support this standby state.
    The sleep states that are listed as available and as not available vary, depending on the computer's hardware.

For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    928897 The hybrid sleep feature and the hibernation feature in Windows Vista may become unavailable after you use the Disk Cleanup Tool

Back to the top

APPLIES TO
    Windows Vista Home Basic
    Windows Vista Home Premium
    Windows Vista Ultimate
    Windows Vista Business
    Windows Vista Enterprise
    Windows Vista Starter
    Windows Vista Business 64-bit Edition
    Windows Vista Enterprise 64-bit Edition

Back to the top

Keywords: 
    kbexpertisebeginner kbtshoot kbprb KB929658

Back to the top

Sunday, October 26, 2008 9:35 AM
  • Excellent! Darrell your post worked for me as well

Thank you
    Sunday, October 26, 2008 7:52 PM
  • Hey Darrell,
    I have the same problem described above, and I tried your fix, which did not work.
    Any other suggestions? I also made sure that the Hibernate option was enabled, and I have installed windows SP1.
    I am running Vista Home Premium on a HP Pavillon dv2000.
    Any help and suggestions are appreciated.

Monday, November 17, 2008 7:08 AM
  • Thanks, this worked for me on Dell D630 Vista SP1, x64 and Bitlocker enabled.

Monday, December 1, 2008 2:13 PM
  • thanks, also worked for me after removing multiboot options and redoing the bcdedit for just x86 Vista.
    Wednesday, December 10, 2008 5:25 AM
  • Are you the admin of the machine?  Try opening from elevated command prompt.  Right click on Command prompt >> Run as administrator.
    Monday, January 19, 2009 7:28 AM
  • Darrell Gorter [MSFT] said:

Hello Martin,

Resume from Hibernate

---------------------

device partition=C:

filedevice partition=C:

filepath \hiberfil.sys

pae Yes

debugoptionenabled No

5. Test hibernation.

Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Thank you! Had this problem for several months a year ago. I solved it then by resetting the BIOS - lucky coincidence i suppose. Just formatted and the problem returned. This fixed it immediately.

Saturday, February 7, 2009 8:09 AM
  • You could try following the link below to create a new bootmgr file:

EasyBCD

After having issues starting vista, I used the command line option (DVD) to create a new bootmgr file, and it worked perfectly for me.  However afterwards the hibernate function was having the problem previously described in this forum.  I followed the advice to run the bcdedit /deletevalue {guid} inherit and now everything is back to the way it should be.

Anyway I wanted to add this as I spent a lot of time trying to recover the issues and found easybcd and this forum very helpful!!
    Saturday, February 21, 2009 1:49 PM
  • I did this, and it worked perfectly for about a week or two, but now it's back to the same old problem again. :(  Sometimes my computer will shut itself off after I leave it idle, too-- this usually happens if I have recently used "Sleep".  I have no idea what's going on but I'll do this fix again and see what happens.
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 4:28 PM
  • Okay, I just tried to do this again, but it doesn't work now.  It said,

C:\Users\Owner>bcdedit /deletevalue {d0b31e2d-4c27-11dc-b25a-001b381ac316} inherit
    An error occurred while attempting to delete the specified data element.
    Element not found.

I also noticed that the "inherit {resumeloadersettings}" is missing on my screen.  I'm not all that familiar with Command Prompt, so I don't know what that means.  Can anyone help?
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 4:47 PM
  • WOW.  IT WORKS.  Boy, this problem was killing me.

I always had problems with sleep/hibernate mode on this machine.  It seemed to work at some time when I told it to sleep.  I don't know when it stop working, possibly with the installation of SP1.  When I had overheating problems, it either caused the laptop battery to die, or it's just timing.  I was convinced that the motherboard was fried, or something on it.  I didn't know that the battery died and the machine automatically tried to hibernate.

So one day I tried to change my 4GB with my wife's 2GB, which was originally in this machine.  I got the machine to boot, but with a failure to restore from hibernate.  But at least my machine was alive.  Changing the quantity of RAM would cause the restore settings to fail and allow you to execute a normal boot.

Then one day I tried to print while on battery power.  Dead.  But at least I knew how to get it up and running again.

So, looking for a new battery, I run across some battery life hints.  One was to use hibernate whenever possible.  So I went back to solving my problem.  I found a similar Tech Note, but not exactly my problem.  So I run across this one.  It seems that SP1 was the culprit, but dumping the current hiberfil.sys file would solve it.  But before I tried it, I looked up my power down options.  S1 and S2 are not available on my machine.  S3 is and is listed as a hybrid sleep/hibernate.  Whatever, just let me use it.  Vista SP2 was announced, so I installed it first.  Still won't recover from hibernate.

So I try to delete the current hiberfil.sys to no help.  Oops, I needed to add "inherit".  Success!

There isn't anything new here except for one bit - SP2 by itself will not fix the hibernate problem.  If it broke, you pretty much need to generate a new file manually.

Thanks a ton!

Nathan K.
    Friday, July 3, 2009 4:50 PM
  • Okay, it worked once.  The second time I tried to hibernate, back to the original problem.

It seems the solution is for hibernate to automatically delete the restore file after recovery from hibernate, but that's too easy for MicroSoft engineers.  I shouldn't have to try to write some script for this, it's not my job.

While I'm talking about MicroSoft engineering, I really get peeved when there is an obvious software problem and once the tech in Bangalore (whose name is most likely NOT Andrew or Lincoln or George but instead Vijay) figures out that you have an OEM version of Windows, suddenly says it's the problem of your laptop manufacturer.

Really.  Are you telling me that MicroSoft is no longer responsible once Toshiba or Dell or Acer or whomever else puts a splash screen and a few tweaks that MicroSoft no longer owns mistakes that they make.  Sure, they are constantly fixing things, but whenever there is a problem they cannot figure out, and there is any hint of putting it off onto the computer manufacturer, they will.

So, if I buy a car from Ford, and they've fixed all the problems they can, then you run into a problem with something the local dealership installed, even though it is a Ford item that is broken, they tell you that the dealership has to fix it.  Huh?  Even if it is an aftermarket modification, it does not absolve Ford from fixing an inherent problem with engineering.  At least investigate whether the aftermarket mod is truly responsible and don't just have a kneejerk reaction deflecting blame.  It could be that an advertised feature doesn't actually work when a user makes certain tweaks that MicroSoft originally claimed would work.  Don't blame the user.  Fix it.

This hibernate issue is classic.  It worked perfectly fine until MicroSoft made one fix that then broke hibernate.  Blaming the computer manufacturers because they don't use all or some of the power modes the way that MicroSoft would like doesn't mean that MicroSoft isn't responsible.  Just fix it.  I've wasted enough of my time, as everyone else in this and related threads.  If MicroSoft insists that hibernate is the smart thing to do to make rebooting easier and saves laptop batteries, then fix it.

And don't wait until Windows 7.  They know, as we do, that I'm not going to fork out $200 to update to fix a silly problem that they need to fix.  (Yeah, we know that the computer timing in the car needs to be fixed, but how about buying a new 2010 model?  We'll buy back your old one for half of what it's really worth, so consider it an upgrade.  What?  Fix the software for the existing model?  The dealership needs to do that.  They aren't the engineers you say?  But they sold it to you.  They made all the other fixes we told them to do.  It's too old a car, so they now have to fix it, since the warranty is expired.  Of course this is an exception, but you should have figured it out before the warranty ran out.  Sorry.  Your problem now.)

If MicroSoft is constantly making tweaks to fix security leaks and other problems that arise, then they should fix advertised features that no longer, or never worked.  Don't pawn it off onto those who are not able or even legally allowed to fix it.  Think about it.  They expect a third party to fix a problem because there is a different splash screen somewhere, but will be quick to sue someone for reengineering their program?  MicroSoft owns the rights to the software, even if some of it is licensed out.  They also own the responsibility to fix it.  My ex works for a company which makes custom software.  Often, the clients claim they own the software, since it was custom made for them.  No.  All the modules are common to everyone else.  You only asked for it to be modified to fit your needs.  Imagine this: You use tools at your business, and now you need a custom tool.  You don't have the ability to create the tool or modify an existing tool, so you ask me to do it for you.  You suddenly don't own the patents.  I do.  That's what was contracted.  If I ask MicroSoft to tweak Windows for me, so it looks and acts a certain way, MicroSoft is NOT going to let me resell it as if it's mine, nor are they going to let me have the patents.

MicroSoft: fix it.
    Sunday, July 5, 2009 4:04 PM
  • Thanks ..

Worked for me.
    Friday, July 24, 2009 9:02 AM
  • I have the same exact problem. The same error message and 'inherit' is missing.
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 5:21 PM
  • Hello Darrel Gorter,

Thanks for this solution. It immediately resolved my Hibernate problem. I was breaking my head on this issue and was searching internet to find a solution for a long time. I even thought of Re-installing the Vista. Before taking that step, I found your solution and it worked for me immediately. Thanks once again Darrel.

I felt the root cause for this problem was due to Pressing the Dell Media Direct button by accident which enabled the Dell Mediadirect on my Laptop. The Vista stopped booting and I had to use the VISTA DVD to fix that issue first. Afterwards, Hibernate stopped working.

Now, when I ran the command: bcdedit -enum all in command prompt, I notice lot of pointers (given below in BOLD) to the Media Direct Drive. How to change and revert to the original settings ? Or can I live this setting itself ? Please advice me in this regard.

C:\Windows\system32>bcdedit -enum all

Windows Boot Manager

--------------------

identifier              {bootmgr}

device                  partition=F:

default                 {current}

resumeobject       {ae175bde-49c4-11df-8f88-806e6f6e6963}

displayorder         {current}

timeout                 30

resume                 No

Windows Boot Loader

-------------------

identifier              {current}

device                  partition=C:

path                    \Windows\system32\winload.exe

description            Windows Vista (TM) Home Premium (recovered)

osdevice               partition=C:

systemroot            \Windows

resumeobject        {ae175bde-49c4-11df-8f88-806e6f6e6963}

Resume from Hibernate

---------------------

identifier              {ae175bde-49c4-11df-8f88-806e6f6e6963}

device                 partition=C:

path                    \Windows\system32\winresume.exe

description           Windows Vista (TM) Home Premium (recovered)

filedevice             partition=C:

filepath                \hiberfil.sys

pae                     Yes

debugoptionenabled      No

Windows Memory Tester

---------------------

identifier              {memdiag}

device                  partition=F:

path                    \boot\memtest.exe

description             Windows Memory Diagnostic

Thanks & regards

Loganathan.C.S.

Sunday, June 20, 2010 8:12 AM
  • I have the same problem.  I installed windows 7 SP1 and found hibernate not working.  when I click on hiberbate, system power turn off, but next time I hit keyboard, it does not wake up, I push power button, it goes to the screen 'windows did not shut down properly'.     I have tried BCDedit, first time it says operation completed successful, then i checked power options, all settings should be correct, test hibernate, power turn off but would not wake up. 

the next time I try the bcdedit, the same guid in the list, i get error 'An error occurred while attempting to delete the specified data element.
    Element not found.'  I searched through registry for the same value, items found but says 'could not delete, error while delete key'. 

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Administrator>powercfg lastwake
    Wake History Count - 0

C:\Users\Administrator>powercfg -devicequery wake_armed
    Realtek RTL8168D/8111D Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.20)
    Stan��PA7 ���������POST /Forums/en-US/itprovistasp/thread/4d74523f-2b9e-4fe7-9b5e-f0153166adcc/222907f5-2e06-47e9-bc4f-57c6f7f72f29/reply HTTP/1.1 x-requested-with: XMLHttpRequest Accept-Language: en-us Referer: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/itprovistasp/thread/4d74523f-2b9e-4fe7-9b5e-f0153166adcc/ Accept: */* Content-Type: application/x-www-form-urlencoded Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate User-Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/4.0; GTB6.6; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; InfoPath.3; .NET4.0C; Zune 4.7) Host: social.technet.microsoft.com Content-Length: 27425 Connection: Keep-Alive Cache-Control: no-cache Cookie: smc_t_msn=dc=WLEM

Monday, January 17, 2011 6:16 PM
  • I have the same problem.  I installed windows 7 SP1 and found hibernate not working.  when I click on hiberbate, system power turn off, but next time I hit keyboard, it does not wake up, I push power button, it goes to the screen 'windows did not shut down properly'.     I have tried BCDedit, first time it says operation completed successful, then i checked power options, all settings should be correct, test hibernate, power turn off but would not wake up. 

the next time I try the bcdedit, the same guid in the list, i get error 'An error occurred while attempting to delete the specified data element.
    Element not found.'  I searched through registry for the same value, items found but says 'could not delete, error while delete key'. 

Wake History Count - 0

Stan��PA7 ���������POST /Forums/en-US/itprovistasp/thread/4d74523f-2b9e-4fe7-9b5e-f0153166adcc/222907f5-2e06-47e9-bc4f-57c6f7f72f29/reply HTTP/1.1 x-requested-with: XMLHttpRequest Accept-Language: en-us Referer: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/itprovistasp/thread/4d74523f-2b9e-4fe7-9b5e-f0153166adcc/ Accept: */* Content-Type: application/x-www-form-urlencoded Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate User-Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/4.0; GTB6.6; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; InfoPath.3; .NET4.0C; Zune 4.7) Host: social.technet.microsoft.com Content-Length: 27425 Connection: Keep-Alive Cache-Control: no-cache Cookie: smc_t_msn=dc=WLEM

Monday, January 17, 2011 6:17 PM

Wake History Count - 0

Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    HID-compliant mouse

C:\Users\Administrator>bcdedit -enum all

Windows Boot Manager
    --------------------
    identifier              {bootmgr}
    device                  partition=C:
    description             Windows Boot Manager
    locale                  en-US
    inherit                 {globalsettings}
    default                 {current}
    resumeobject            {4db5f915-ffec-11df-b900-e0cb4e39bbc1}
    displayorder            {current}
    toolsdisplayorder       {memdiag}
    timeout                 30

Windows Boot Loader
    -------------------
    identifier              {31f79316-7d53-11df-b3b5-e0cb4e39bbc1}
    device                  ramdisk=[C:]\Recovery\31f79316-7d53-11df-b3b5-e0cb4e39bb
    c1\Winre.wim,{31f79317-7d53-11df-b3b5-e0cb4e39bbc1}
    path                    \windows\system32\winload.exe
    description             Windows Recovery Environment
    inherit                 {bootloadersettings}
    osdevice                ramdisk=[C:]\Recovery\31f79316-7d53-11df-b3b5-e0cb4e39bb
    c1\Winre.wim,{31f79317-7d53-11df-b3b5-e0cb4e39bbc1}
    systemroot              \windows
    nx                      OptIn
    winpe                   Yes

Windows Boot Loader
    -------------------
    identifier              {31f7931a-7d53-11df-b3b5-e0cb4e39bbc1}
    device                  ramdisk=[C:]\Recovery\31f7931a-7d53-11df-b3b5-e0cb4e39bb
    c1\Winre.wim,{31f7931b-7d53-11df-b3b5-e0cb4e39bbc1}
    osdevice                ramdisk=[C:]\Recovery\31f7931a-7d53-11df-b3b5-e0cb4e39bb
    c1\Winre.wim,{31f7931b-7d53-11df-b3b5-e0cb4e39bbc1}

Windows Boot Loader
    -------------------
    identifier              {31f7931e-7d53-11df-b3b5-e0cb4e39bbc1}
    device                  ramdisk=[C:]\Recovery\31f7931e-7d53-11df-b3b5-e0cb4e39bb
    c1\Winre.wim,{31f7931f-7d53-11df-b3b5-e0cb4e39bbc1}
    osdevice                ramdisk=[C:]\Recovery\31f7931e-7d53-11df-b3b5-e0cb4e39bb
    c1\Winre.wim,{31f7931f-7d53-11df-b3b5-e0cb4e39bbc1}

Windows Boot Loader
    -------------------
    identifier              {31f79324-7d53-11df-b3b5-e0cb4e39bbc1}
    device                  ramdisk=[C:]\Recovery\31f79324-7d53-11df-b3b5-e0cb4e39bb
    c1\Winre.wim,{31f79325-7d53-11df-b3b5-e0cb4e39bbc1}
    osdevice                ramdisk=[C:]\Recovery\31f79324-7d53-11df-b3b5-e0cb4e39bb
    c1\Winre.wim,{31f79325-7d53-11df-b3b5-e0cb4e39bbc1}

Windows Boot Loader
    -------------------
    identifier              {current}
    path                    \Windows\system32\winload.exe
    description             Windows 7
    recoverysequence        {31f79328-7d53-11df-b3b5-e0cb4e39bbc1}
    recoveryenabled         Yes
    osdevice                partition=C:
    systemroot              \Windows
    resumeobject            {4db5f915-ffec-11df-b900-e0cb4e39bbc1}
    nx                      AlwaysOff

Windows Boot Loader
    -------------------
    identifier              {31f79328-7d53-11df-b3b5-e0cb4e39bbc1}
    device                  ramdisk=[C:]\Recovery\31f79328-7d53-11df-b3b5-e0cb4e39bb
    c1\Winre.wim,{31f79329-7d53-11df-b3b5-e0cb4e39bbc1}
    osdevice                ramdisk=[C:]\Recovery\31f79328-7d53-11df-b3b5-e0cb4e39bb
    c1\Winre.wim,{31f79329-7d53-11df-b3b5-e0cb4e39bbc1}

Resume from Hibernate
    ---------------------
    identifier              {4db5f915-ffec-11df-b900-e0cb4e39bbc1}
    path                    \Windows\system32\winresume.exe
    description             Windows 7
    filedevice              partition=C:
    filepath                \hiberfil.sys
    debugoptionenabled      No

Windows Memory Tester
    ---------------------
    identifier              {memdiag}
    path                    \boot\memtest.exe
    description             Windows Memory Diagnostic
    badmemoryaccess         Yes

EMS Settings
    ------------
    identifier              {emssettings}
    bootems                 Yes

Debugger Settings
    -----------------
    identifier              {dbgsettings}
    debugtype               Serial
    debugport               1
    baudrate                115200

RAM Defects
    -----------
    identifier              {badmemory}

Global Settings
    ---------------
    identifier              {globalsettings}
    inherit                 {dbgsettings}
                            {emssettings}
                            {badmemory}

Boot Loader Settings
    --------------------
    identifier              {bootloadersettings}
                            {hypervisorsettings}

Hypervisor Settings
    -------------------
    identifier              {hypervisorsettings}
    hypervisordebugtype     Serial
    hypervisordebugport     1
    hypervisorbaudrate      115200

Resume Loader Settings
    ----------------------
    identifier              {resumeloadersettings}

Device options
    --------------
    identifier              {31f79317-7d53-11df-b3b5-e0cb4e39bbc1}
    description             Ramdisk Options
    ramdisksdidevice        partition=C:
    ramdisksdipath          \Recovery\31f79316-7d53-11df-b3b5-e0cb4e39bbc1\boot.sdi

Device options
    --------------
    identifier              {31f7931b-7d53-11df-b3b5-e0cb4e39bbc1}
    ramdisksdipath          \Recovery\31f7931a-7d53-11df-b3b5-e0cb4e39bbc1\boot.sdi

Device options
    --------------
    identifier              {31f7931f-7d53-11df-b3b5-e0cb4e39bbc1}
    ramdisksdipath          \Recovery\31f7931e-7d53-11df-b3b5-e0cb4e39bbc1\boot.sdi

Device options
    --------------
    identifier              {31f79325-7d53-11df-b3b5-e0cb4e39bbc1}
    ramdisksdipath          \Recovery\31f79324-7d53-11df-b3b5-e0cb4e39bbc1\boot.sdi

Device options
    --------------
    identifier              {31f79329-7d53-11df-b3b5-e0cb4e39bbc1}
    ramdisksdipath          \Recovery\31f79328-7d53-11df-b3b5-e0cb4e39bbc1\boot.sdi

C:\Users\Administrator>bcdedit /deletevalue  {4db5f915-ffec-11df-b900-e0cb4e39bb
    c1}  inherit
    Element not found.

C:\Users\Administrator>bcdedit /deletevalue {4db5f915-ffec-11df-b900-e0cb4e39bbc
    1}  inherit
    Element not found.

C:\Users\Administrator>bcdedit /deletevalue {4db5f915-ffec-11df-b900-e0cb4e39bbc
    1}  inherit
    Element not found.

C:\Users\Administrator>

any solution?

Monday, January 17, 2011 6:17 PM
  • Same thing happened to me on Win7 64-bit. After installing SP1 Hybrid sleep and Hibernation stopped working (each time i got message from boot manager that my system was not shutdown properly). The 'bsdedit' thing didn't help. I had to load system restore point from before SP1, but this is not a solution :(

Hibernation/Hybrid sleep is the most important system feature i use daily. I thought Service Pack was meant to fix things - not break them.

Thursday, February 24, 2011 10:55 PM
  • Same thing happend to me after installing SP1 on Windows 7. Boot drive is Intel SSD on JMicron JMB36X controller. Installing the hotfix http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2495523 healed my system.
    • Proposed as answer by vhrod Wednesday, March 9, 2011 12:10 AM
    Tuesday, March 1, 2011 9:53 AM
  • JUDDEN: so I happened and with your suggestion solved me the problem. Thanks a lot
    Wednesday, March 9, 2011 12:12 AM
  • My Windows 7 PC has been hibernating fine until about one week ago.  Now, it displays the symptoms as above.

However, my wife also had problems with her Windows lap top and is currently trying a new solution that is very appealing.  It's called a Chromebook.  She is encouraging me to switch and I just might do that.

Saturday, September 27, 2014 4:05 PM